• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Great post! You should really install the google now launcher from the play store if you haven't. I have the opposite opinion of the appstores so maybe both stores have a learning curve.

The only phones with lollipop are:
Moto X 2014 (vzw and unlocked)
Nexus 6
Nexus 5
Nexus 4
Moto G 2013/14 (not all varients)
Opo?

I think that's it which is pretty sad but Note 4, S5, G3, One (m8), Droid Turbo, Moto X 2013 should all hopefully have it by this spring (hopefully). All new phones will obviously but this is clearly a pain point of android like you mentioned.
I had official lolli on my G3 before the Nexus 5.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A lot of that list depends on where you live as the Nexus/Moto rollout was pretty much global where as Asia and then EU is getting Lolli for other phones while the US sits and waits.

I know most all of Europe as 5.0 on the G3 while none of the US carriers have pushed yet. Still waiting here *grumbles*

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Via OTA or did you flash it?

What's the difference? You can use LG's software or wait to get the OTA, either way the info posted earlier was wrong. As of now there are several releases for 5.0 and one 5.0.1 for the korean version.

Toki767

The G3 has had Lollipop since like...November I think.

The S5 has Lollipop already as well.

But of course that's only if you are one of those crazy people that think US doesn't equal the world.

Hasney

The G3 has had Lollipop since like...November I think.

The S5 has Lollipop already as well.

But of course that's only if you are one of those crazy people that think US doesn't equal the world.

While it's stupid that carriers have any say in it, I don't class a device as "having it" until at least most of the world has access to it.

Wreav

Banned
After seeing that Intel stick and HP mini PC, there's no way I'm going to be limiting myself to Android now.

True story. I'm more interested in getting an upgraded receiver that can handle AirPlay/GoogleCast, and then slapping that Intel PC stick in the back of it.

Not allowed on the Playstore due to obvious reasons.

Obviously, but I thought that some developer may have released something as an APK for sideloading. Some of them YouTube apps on Windows Phone sound pretty awesome.

What's the difference? You can use LG's software or wait to get the OTA, either way the info posted earlier was wrong. As of now there are several releases for 5.0 and one 5.0.1 for the korean version.

I was just curious. I had to flash the update myself.

wilflare

After seeing that Intel stick and HP mini PC, there's no way I'm going to be limiting myself to Android now.

True story. I'm more interested in getting an upgraded receiver that can handle AirPlay/GoogleCast, and then slapping that Intel PC stick in the back of it.

I'm lost >< what are you guys talking about?

CES has brought so many new changes
I just really want something that allows me to stream my PC games to my TV in the living room :/

miracast on my Windows 8.1 tablet is too laggy to be of any decent use :/

EDIT: I just googled those two things - the Intel Stick is definitely on my radar now.
time to sell of my Amazon FireTV Stick lol (shall hold on to my Chromecast for now)

but liking that Google Cast Audio thingum too

just noticed the HDMI 1.4...
would be awesome if it's 2.2
4K support for apps like Netflix etc would have been great

You dont need HDMI 2.0 for 4k. Most 4k TVs out now are HDMI 1.4. It can only do 4k at 30fps though, which should be fine for TV shows and movies.

Wreav

Banned
Seriously, if the GDC rumors about SteamOS are true AND it has media streaming that's joypad friendly on top, I'll grab one of these the same day and throw it on there. Just need a USB hub, ethernet and my wireless 360 pad adaptor.

You don't need SteamOS. Just install steam and set it up to receive streamed games from your gaming rig. You also don't need ethernet, it works just fine over N wifi. All you need is your 360 wifi adapter.

This is all supposition of course, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

Hasney

You don't need SteamOS. Just install steam and set it up to receive streamed games from your gaming rig. You also don't need ethernet, it works just fine over N wifi. All you need is your 360 wifi adapter.

This is all supposition of course, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

I use Steam streaming quite a bit already and it's shite over wireless n, confirmed several times over in the Steam streaming group and in the thread on GAF.

SteamOS would just be if they have the media capabilities in a joypad friendly fashion. Could boot Steam at startup in big picture mode with Windows, but I liked what I used of SteamOS.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For those who advised me last week to "wait for CES" when I said I decided to pick a Note 4... has anything that's been announced made it seem less favorable?

After extensively testing the camera, Nova Prime, and reading up on all the positive feedback Loli will bring in terms of optimizations, I honestly can't wait to pick one up. If only they would give a sold date for the update.

On a different note, I asked this a while back but it wasn't answered. Excuse my ignorance on the matter.

I know a lot of people dislike Samsung's camera sharpening and noise reduction, but are those hardware or software based? I mean, I know it's mostly post-processed, but would using a different app than Samsung's produce different results?

I used Google's camera and there definition less color noise, for example.

Wreav

Banned
Different apps will often give you different results, and I confirmed that with the Note 4. Seemed the best results often came out of the default camera.

Noema

Great post! You should really install the google now launcher from the play store if you haven't. I have the opposite opinion of the appstores so maybe both stores have a learning curve.

The only phones with lollipop are:
Moto X 2014 (vzw and unlocked)
Nexus 6
Nexus 5
Nexus 4
Moto G 2013/14 (not all varients)
Opo?

I think that's it which is pretty sad but Note 4, S5, G3, One (m8), Droid Turbo, Moto X 2013 should all hopefully have it by this spring (hopefully). All new phones will obviously but this is clearly a pain point of android like you mentioned.

Don't forget the 2013 GPE phones. They all have Lollipop now (Moto G, HTC One M8 and Galaxy S4, in their GPE variants, of course)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Different apps will often give you different results, and I confirmed that with the Note 4. Seemed the best results often came out of the default camera.
I figured as much. The differences between Sam's default app and Google Camera's were jarring, imo.

Wreav

Banned
As usual, the default app gives you a wider angle too, for some reason. Not sure why 3rd party apps always seem to have a tighter focal length.

Wreav

Banned
Anyone remember this nearly 3 month old tweet?

7y4o4v8.png

Don't forget the 2013 GPE phones. They all have Lollipop now (Moto G, HTC One M8 and Galaxy S4, in their GPE variants, of course)

Yeah I forgot those. Probably because no one on this planet has them besides a half dozen nerds like us. Which is sad as well.

I will be checking out HTC's next GPE for sure though

Noema

Yeah I forgot those. Probably because no one on this planet has them besides a half dozen nerds like us. Which is sad as well.

I will be checking out HTC's next GPE for sure though

They are pretty rare but they do offer a pure unadultered ROM which can then be flashed on non-GPE versions of the same hardware. :D (Assuming it's possible to unlock the bootloader) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom