• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesalr

Sony makes phones for only a small percentage of people care about. No difference in software or specs would matter if there is no push at the carrier level since their phones off-contract aren't worth the entry fee.

Sony has F'ed the Z line up until the Z3 line but unless they go balls out on the Z4 line and have T-mobiel, ATT, Sprint and Verizon onboard, Sony might as well fold up shop in the mobile division.

See, carrier-level push just doesn't matter outside of the US, so their phones are more popular here (UK) and the rest of Europe.

Got my Z3 Compact back from the Sony repair shop today because the headphone jack became faulty. Took about a week, which was annoying since I had to use my old Nexus 4. Made me appreciate the battery on the Z3 even more.

Aaaaand they forgot to include the SIM tray when they sent it back. That's just incompetent. Got to wait for them to sort out sending me one, which makes me a special case that's awkward to deal with, and that could just become a big hassle. But I'm sure as hell not spending money on one.

tzare

I wasn't a fan of quick charging.I had the impression that it was bad for the battery i used to have it deactivated on my note 4 but i activated it when i went for a trip and combined with great battery life phones, like note 4 or n6 is really a gamechanger feature.i guess people will praise it once iPhones includes it but until batteries allow two days of heavy use this is the closest we can have and an awesome feature.
Really puts note and nexus one step above any other phone right now since they both also have top specs and camera.

And xperia phones are as good as any others. The plus of being waterproof is great and all manufacturers should copy that feature. Plus they look really nice. Probably the most balanced Smartphones on the market right now.

The UI on Sony phones is just way too dated looking for me to ever consider one.

I don't understand how people keep calling the UI clean or close to stock. It is none of those things.

Noema

Have you been using it yet? I started a few hours ago and found it a tad sluggish. Going to unroot, factory reset (I didn't this time with NRT), and root again to see if that makes any difference. Connection drops happened a few times, as well. I'm on Mac in this case and that might all be the difference here, too, but eh. It's great, easy to use. Can only imagine where they'll go with it in the future.

I used it quite a bit yesterday. It's in fact a bit sluggish but the connection was solid. Neither my computer (Windows 10) nor my phone (Moto G) are top of the line; it might be smoother on high end hardware. Honestly I never used Air Droid before Lollipop (I'm pretty new to Android; used iPhones for 6+ years) so I can't tell if it's gotten worse, but at least it works reliably. I only use it to reply to whatsapp so it's fine. :D

I wasn't a fan of quick charging.I had the impression that it was bad for the battery i used to have it deactivated on my note 4 but i activated it when i went for a trip and combined with great battery life phones, like note 4 or n6 is really a gamechanger feature.i guess people will praise it once iPhones includes it but until batteries allow two days of heavy use this is the closest we can have and an awesome feature.
Really puts note and nexus one step above any other phone right now since they both also have top specs and camera.

And xperia phones are as good as any others. The plus of being waterproof is great and all manufacturers should copy that feature. Plus they look really nice. Probably the most balanced Smartphones on the market right now.
http://engineering.stanford.edu/new...e-lithium-ion-battery-electrodes-much-thought

Sch1sm

I used it quite a bit yesterday. It's in fact a bit sluggish but the connection was solid. Neither my computer (Windows 10) nor my phone (Moto G) are top of the line; it might be smoother on high end hardware. Honestly I never used Air Droid before Lollipop (I'm pretty new to Android; used iPhones for 6+ years) so I can't tell if it's gotten worse, but at least it works reliably. I only use it to reply to whatsapp so it's fine. :D

Yeah, I'm on Yosemite on my rMBP 13". Which isn't terrible, considering it's the latest model. Mid-2014. Nexus 5. It was slow but bearable. I'll try it on my Windows 8 Acer today and see if there's any difference at all with connection. Extremely glad it's working with 5.0 now, though, it was incredibly irritating that I couldn't respond to messages on WhatsApp since it's pretty much my primary method of contact. Now I just have AirDroid open. ...and my browser for the sake of Hangouts. I do wish AirDroid's keyboard didn't entirely overtake the phone's and had a smarter switch between the two.
Ultimately, though, I'll never get shit in my lectures again. Technology.

After trying out Lollipop on my OPO I'm in no hurry to switch over after going back to 4.4.4. Lots of useless animations and changes that don't actually improve the experience with very little discernible difference in performance. if any at all. Also Material design seems to take up alot of space that could be usable otherwise.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 struggling with battery life today. I'm on holiday and using it for photos and map. It's on airplane mode. This battery day better be an anomaly. At least turbo charging is beast.

There is a huge population of passionate PlayStation owners on this forum. They want Sony to do well which means they also want there mobile division to do well. Have you never heard of a fanboy?

I am just talking about the GAF community obviously as this does not apply to the general population where the ps4 does well. Sony markets the fuck out of the ps4 and not the Expedia line. I have no idea why you would mention that as a possible correlation.

The general population in the us has no clue Sony even makes phones. You come on here (a gaming forum in an industry Sony dominates) and people don't shut up about them.
Yes I'm well aware of fanboys. But I don't see this army of PlayStation warriors sporting Xperia phones or talking about it on GAF. Liking one Sony product doesn't automatically make a person like another.

Nexus 6 struggling with battery life today. I'm on holiday and using it for photos and map. It's on airplane mode. This battery day better be an anomaly. At least turbo charging is beast.
Should've gotten a Note 4 for that superior battery life.

catmincer

I love my Z2 but as others have mentioned, if the rumours are correct and sony are selling off the Xperia division I'd be wary of buying anything else from them.

Also they still take forever to do updates on their devices.

rrvv

The UI on Sony phones is just way too dated looking for me to ever consider one.

I don't understand how people keep calling the UI clean or close to stock. It is none of those things.

what is "updated" UI look like

it simple to use and do the job done

Lollipop has touchwizzed my Nexus 7. That thing has become a chore to use.

After using four Nexus devices over the last 3 years I have noticed the pattern that each update ruines the devices just a little in performance, and little by little you are left with a turd for useability...

So why is everyone so hot for the fast and quick updates?

NotBacon

After using four Nexus devices over the last 3 years I have noticed the pattern that each update ruines the devices just a little in performance, and little by little you are left with a turd for useability...

Because most people aren't having those problems. For most, Lollipop is pure silk and a major performance boost. There are some others in your boat though, and some fixes could be Factory Reset, clean flash, clear cache?, or possibly the memory leak fix.

meh I never noticed any major problems on my nexus devices. And even now the one I own that runs lollipop runs well for the most part.

People want the quickest updates because sometimes updates add features. They modernize an OS. ETC....I don't want the same skin for years and years like xperia skin and touchwiz and whatever.

With a 5.0 theme and Nova Launcher, my Z3 compact looks pretty good:

jLr6bK2l.png
oLBH5RKl.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
bronze is still a medal.
How is this piece of shit having battery problems? It has the same battery as the Note 4. Got it, the Note 4 has a better screen. But remember "just wait until stock android gets those 3000 mah batteries! Stock, lean, and efficient!" Absolute nonsense. If it keeps like this, I'm going to find a new phone. I shouldn't have to think about battery during a day. Again, I admit it, it's new and I've yet to even plug in a SIM. But I am on notice of this ridiculousness.

yyzjohn

Banned
How is this piece of shit having battery problems? It has the same battery as the Note 4. Got it, the Note 4 has a better screen. But remember "just wait until stock android gets those 3000 mah batteries! Stock, lean, and efficient!" Absolute nonsense. If it keeps like this, I'm going to find a new phone. I shouldn't have to think about battery during a day. Again, I admit it, it's new and I've yet to even plug in a SIM. But I am on notice of this ridiculousness.

After 3 years of Nexus I'm going to the next Sony flagship this year. All the rave battery reviews and great camera have sold me. I can do without stock for a better battery.

The horrible battery was well known about the Nexus 6 if you looked at reviews by most of the media like Mkbhd. Battery will only get worse once you pop in a Sim since it will constantly be trying to hold a signal.

Wreav

Banned

keikaku.jpg

The horrible battery was well known about the Nexus 6 if you looked at reviews by most of the media like Mkbhd. Battery will only get worse once you pop in a Sim since it will constantly be trying to hold a signal.

AJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that could put his rampant capitalistic nature aside to listen to reason.

Because most people aren't having those problems. For most, Lollipop is pure silk and a major performance boost. There are some others in your boat though, and some fixes could be Factory Reset, clean flash, clear cache?, or possibly the memory leak fix.

meh I never noticed any major problems on my nexus devices. And even now the one I own that runs lollipop runs well for the most part.

People want the quickest updates because sometimes updates add features. They modernize an OS. ETC....I don't want the same skin for years and years like xperia skin and touchwiz and whatever.

Well then I am very unlucky but yeah all my devices have had slight, but after time noticeable decrease in performance...

Again, I admit it, it's new and I've yet to even plug in a SIM. But I am on notice of this ridiculousness.
Um it probably won't get better when the cellular radio gets to work...

Groof

Well then I am very unlucky but yeah all my devices have had slight, but after time noticeable decrease in performance...

Lollipop is for the most part smooth as silk, but it has a massive memory leak issue. It's been resolved, but they've yet to push it out as an update for whatever reason. I wish they could, because it is absolutely atrocious and I have to reboot my N5 once a day because it starts lagging so bad.

After 3 years of Nexus I'm going to the next Sony flagship this year. All the rave battery reviews and great camera have sold me. I can do without stock for a better battery.
I don't know about that. I mean, the future of the Xperia line balances on a needle on the top of the Eiffel tower.

Reckoner

On the last charge I got almost three days of standby, 2 hours of SOT - web browsing, youtube, spotify, messaging and calls and 20% left. And yes, turbo charging is amazing. I can say that I'm pretty amazed with all the functionality of this phone.

SimleuqiR

I think the people at Android that handle the Nexus hardware have no fucking clue how to optimize the battery usage. Either that, or the drivers the OEMs give them don't get tweak and updated as often.

I swear my mom's moto G (2014) gets insane amount of standby and that's practically a Google experience phone, but it's not actually Google tweaking or working on the software to optimize it for the hardware.

I think the people at Android that handle the Nexus hardware have no fucking clue how to optimize the battery usage. Either that, or the drivers the OEMs give them don't get tweak and updated as often.

I swear my mom's moto G (2014) gets insane amount of standby and that's practically a Google experience phone, but it's not actually Google tweaking or working on the software to optimize it for the hardware.

Moto G doesn't have LTE radio which is a battery drainer. OnePlus One has great battery life at half the cost of the Nexus 6.

Note 4 has a more efficient screen and as of right now lollipop is not helping the battery situation.

seriously, wait until day 4+ to judge battery.

(must be the liquor talking)

SimleuqiR

Moto G doesn't have LTE radio which is a battery drainer. OnePlus One has great battery life at half the cost of the Nexus 6.

My Nexus 4 didn't have LTE and battery life was on par with the Nexus 5. Battery still drained while sitting at my desk the entire day while doing nothing with the phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Modern chipsets dont suck that much battery with LTE*

*Caveat being if you are constantly switching towers and or trying to grab on to a weak signal.

Jintor

Hey dudes and dudettes,

two questions:

1) Getting kind of sick of PlayerPro and want to see if there's any other better music player software, any recommends?

2) My other android device, an old Nexus 7 tablet, is increasingly becoming a steaming laggy piece of crap. So laggy it's a real pain to type on it, and it's getting pretty crap even as a browsing device. Any advice?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1) Power Amp*

*Most of us just use Google Music or Spotify to be honest

2) Which Nexus 7? 2012 or 2013? What version of the OS are you on? 4.4? 5.0.? 5.0.1? 5.0.2?

Jintor

Definitely not the new model, probably the 2012 if I had to guess. Uh, think it's running 4.4 if I had to guess. Trying to update it gets no results tho...

Jintor

Go to settings about tablet

Then it'll tell you your info!

it's more that it's in the other room and I'm super lazy :p

Okay it's currently 4.4 but it just downloaded a 5.0.2 update or whatever, should I install it? Will it improve performance or destroy it? :p The model it returns is "Nexus 7" but i'm pretty sure I got it in 2012 so... it's probably that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom