• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aticos

Nice. Not sure what people find ugly about this. Looks very clean and elegant.
Yeah, I like Xperia UI more than Samsung's and HTC's; here are more screenshots.
PolGDNl.jpg

fJkvtoA.png

5s2RHDH.jpg

ZpyUU67.png

dp2u0sF.png

So in order to make a point you have to post screens where the notification bar is completely full, and the UI is full of unnecessary widgets which can easily be removed, and the background is gaudy. Your argument holds no water. The Sony UI is the manufacturer skin closest to stock and that's been proven by every android outlet that has reviewed the Xperia.

pretty sure the Motorola skin is closest to stock.

So in order to make a point you have to post screens where the notification bar is completely full, and the UI is full of unnecessary widgets which can easily be removed, and the background is gaudy. Your argument holds no water. The Sony UI is the manufacturer skin closest to stock and that's been proven by every android outlet that has reviewed the Xperia.

Lol @ the assumption that I went out of my way to look for the worst possible screenshots. I typed in Z3 Compact review into Google. None of the reviews on the first page even had detailed pictures of the UI until I got to the gsmarena review. Hell, the first result - Engadget's review - specifically says "Sony's Android skin feels antiquated" under cons.

If you want to believe that it looks close to stock... go ahead. Nothing about the icons, dialer, sms app, notification panel, settings app, etc. look like stock to me.

Hey guys,

I'm having a weird issue with my Note 4. Its been happening on and off for over a week now and I normally ignore it but now its bothering me. Both my WiFi and LTE symbols are on at the same time. Not always, but it happens randomly. Normally it would do this when sending or receiving an MMS but I'm not doing either. It happened again a few minutes ago after simply rebooting my phone.

Any idea what's causing it? Only thing I saw online was some Verizon app that could cause it, but I'm on Bell in Canada that doesn't have that app.

Oddly enough however, when I send or receive an MMS it now takes up to 10 minutes. Don't know if its related. I'm using the Google messenger app.

Husker86

The icons are terrible, but I suppose it isn't too bad.

How do popups look? Samsung popup (ones that have Ok/Cancel) always looked so dated; not sure if it's any different now.

imBask

Banned
you guys probably get this question everyday but

Nexus 6 or Note 4?

I was pretty decided on the Nexus 6, but the multitasking and stuff on the Note 4 is making me doubt myself...

Nexus 6 or Note 4?

I was pretty decided on the Nexus 6, but the multitasking and stuff on the Note 4 is making me doubt myself...

It all depends what you value in the end. Nexus 6 will get you stock android and the fastest updates to the operating system but not a lot of specific features to take advantage of the ginormous display. Note 4 will get you better hardware, more features that utilize a huge screen, but slower updates and uglier touchwiz.

Like I said, all in what you value. If you don't mind touchwiz and don't care about updates/stock get a Note 4. No brainer. Otherwise the nexus 6.

The icons are terrible, but I suppose it isn't too bad.

How do popups look? Samsung popup (ones that have Ok/Cancel) always looked so dated; not sure if it's any different now.
the touchwiz messaging app is still one of the ugliest things in all the skins. Keeeelz me how bad it is considering how much time is spent in it. Luckily you can set defaults now.

imBask

Banned
It all depends what you value in the end. Nexus 6 will get you stock android and the fastest updates to the operating system but not a lot of specific features to take advantage of the ginormous display. Note 4 will get you better hardware, more features that utilize a huge screen, but slower updates and uglier touchwiz.

Like I said, all in what you value. If you don't mind touchwiz and don't care about updates/stock get a Note 4. No brainer. Otherwise the nexus 6.

that's what i've been reading. i'm so conflicted right now! In my experience TouchWiz isn't as bad as people say, especially not on a really powerful phone, but i'm a bit scared to see what TouchWiz will end up being on Lollipop and i'm seeing it as a risk to take

markot

Banned

the touchwiz messaging app is still one of the ugliest things in all the skins. Keeeelz me how bad it is considering how much time is spent in it. Luckily you can set defaults now.

The lollipop one is much better. Well looks wise. Its pretty much the regular android one.

that's what i've been reading. i'm so conflicted right now! In my experience TouchWiz isn't as bad as people say, especially not on a really powerful phone, but i'm a bit scared to see what TouchWiz will end up being on Lollipop and i'm seeing it as a risk to take
Well I highly doubt touchwiz is going to get worse with lollipop. They've been working on reducing its footprint I think.

It sounds like you want the note 4 but are talking yourself out of it. I hate samsung phones and hate touchwiz (so far, willing to change :p), but I'd say sounds like you want a note 4. Get it. You won't be unhappy.

imBask

Banned
Well I highly doubt touchwiz is going to get worse with lollipop. They've been working on reducing its footprint I think.

It sounds like you want the note 4 but are talking yourself out of it. I hate samsung phones and hate touchwiz (so far, willing to change :p), but I'd say sounds like you want a note 4. Get it. You won't be unhappy.

get out of my head witch

but yeah that's pretty much what i'm doing :( thanks

get out of my head witch

but yeah that's pretty much what i'm doing :( thanks
lol take it from someone that is on the pursuit of the most ideal android phone in existence. Spoiler alert my main phone is an iphone 6 lol.

The wait...it doesn't end. You don't want to live like this man. It's a slippery slope :p

Mindwipe

I don't really get why people care about the icons on Android.

If you don't like them, change them, it doesn't require you to root even.

Thing about the Z3 is that most of it can be customised, even the soft buttons, because it has a built in theme engine.

Just seems an odd thing to argue about, at least here.

NotBacon

Flip dat coin. Or go try them both out yourself. T-Mobile should have some working models, assuming you're in the US.

Because he likes Samsung.
To be fair, the Note 4 is pretty good with multitasking. And the S pen is not only accurate, but it is also convenient.

The Tab Pro is also decent. If possible, I would go with the Surface Pro 3 for true efficiency and class. I don't really like Android tablets.

Lol Jazzy, typo on mobile.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So 810 is gonna be like the S600. Good, but the next version will be where they iron out the kinks and bump up the clock speed.

terrier

Hey guys,

I'm having a weird issue with my Note 4. Its been happening on and off for over a week now and I normally ignore it but now its bothering me. Both my WiFi and LTE symbols are on at the same time. Not always, but it happens randomly. Normally it would do this when sending or receiving an MMS but I'm not doing either. It happened again a few minutes ago after simply rebooting my phone.

Any idea what's causing it? Only thing I saw online was some Verizon app that could cause it, but I'm on Bell in Canada that doesn't have that app.

Oddly enough however, when I send or receive an MMS it now takes up to 10 minutes. Don't know if its related. I'm using the Google messenger app.

Have you checked if you have turbo download enabled that allows wifi and LTE downloading at the same time?

Nexus 6 or Note 4?

I have a note 4 and touchwiz ain't as bad as it used to be. Just install GEL and you will be fine most of the time. PLus lollipop in the Note 3 seems to be performing quite well so i hope the same goes for Note 4.
Then there are a few things that you can do on the note in addition to the spen: private mode, awesome, finger print scanner, gets a while to get used to, but works really well, ir blaster, and multitasking as you already mentioned. It is the better phablet. If it was just a 'phone' maybe the nexus would be my choice but this is not the case.

So 810 is gonna be like the S600. Good, but the next version will be where they iron out the kinks and bump up the clock speed.

Yes, looks like it will be improved really soon. Too many doubts about 810....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Nexus 6 or Note 4?

Yeah, lots of us were/are in this same boat. I got a Nexus 6. The Note 4 is better hardware wise. If you don't mind or like Touchwiz, get Note 4. Plus multitasking is really cool. The Edge model is best Note IMO.

Jintor

So yeah Android music players. Any advice? Something that won't be screwy when the music's on an SD card would be nice. Also ability to merge albums natively through the app or something like that. Playerpro is wonky. Actual music is pretty nice but it tends to seperate out my albums for some goddamn reason I can't comprehend.

Or just straight up music tagging so I can tag according to mood or something instead of these incredibly unwieldy custom playlists.

NotBacon

So yeah Android music players. Any advice? Something that won't be screwy when the music's on an SD card would be nice. Also ability to merge albums natively through the app or something like that. Playerpro is wonky. Actual music is pretty nice but it tends to seperate out my albums for some goddamn reason I can't comprehend.

Or just straight up music tagging so I can tag according to mood or something instead of these incredibly unwieldy custom playlists.

I go between Shuttle Music Player and Google Play Music (yes it works with local music).

Guys

I need help

Nexus 6

Exchange Services eating up battery. 18% battery used, 30 minute screen time - 1%, Exchange Services 7% battery use.

I have done a factory reset and no help.

Hasney

no 2 nexus phones are made alike. No 2 android phones are made alike :p

Srs though, try deleting your email and adding it back to try and resolve the exchange services problem. I've seen that fix it.

Yeah, that fixed it between ICS and Jelly Bean as some upgrade process fucked it. Hopefully the case again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom