• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

Since the 442 push I am sometimes getting "com.google.process.gapps has stopped" and what is com.android.browser:sandboxe ? I don't use chrome, Been using the stock (att?) browser, and tihngs just feel flaky since the update. Battery still feels shorter, instead of improved.

I bit on the moto g from bestbuy, picking it up later today. Busy weekend so I won't have time to tinker with it but maybe I'll sacrifice sleep for that. I'll be rooting it first thing then onto the emulators plus dualshock 3. Not sure if I want to check and update the OS or if I actually want it on an older one

so yeah, verizon moto g not able to unlock bootloader, so not able to root that way. I hope bestbuy accepts my return attempt despite the whole thing being opened and everything

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So anyone who got the 4.4.3 update on the Nexus 5, have you noticed an improvement in the battery usage? They said they finally fixed the process that was eating up the CPU usage, so I'm wondering if it actually works or not. The update hasn't been pushed to me yet.

tzare

So anyone who got the 4.4.3 update on the Nexus 5, have you noticed an improvement in the battery usage? They said they finally fixed the process that was eating up the CPU usage, so I'm wondering if it actually works or not. The update hasn't been pushed to me yet.
Haven't noticed anything here. I never had any issues before though, well camera usage eats a lot of battery, but that is always an issue with any smartphone i have had so far.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why can't Google's widgets have a similar design? 3 widgets, 3 designs. And why do they have a nice calendar app, but no tasks app?

2014-06-04-14-44-13.png

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't noticed anything here. I never had any issues before though, well camera usage eats a lot of battery, but that is always an issue with any smartphone i have had so far.

The problem I noticed was that the Android System would always be awake, and apparently, this only happens when you use open the camera and use it. So I was hoping that we'd see an increase in battery life because of that fix.

How long do OTA updates usually take to roll out? This is my first Nexus device so I'm not sure how long I should be waiting.

malfcn

Trying out Firefox instead of the stock browser that always worked well. Battery feels godlike again. I think whatever shit browser it was created hungry procs that are all the juice.

I didn't use it until 442, but I grew on the two finger swipe down in that browser to fly down a page. Firefox didn't support that though. :-(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

No, but Chrome is a lot smoother.

malfcn

com.google.process.gapps has stopped - still, why and how do I fix it.

Found it may have been the Swiftkey from Amazon.
Now it installs from Amazon no problem, no more package installer question.

That new?

Argh, that didn't fix it.

Is anyone else hyped up for the X+1?? I feel like moto has been killing it lately and no one has noticed...

Super hyped. Provided they don't blow it (can't imagine they will), it's probably gonna be my next phone. Just make the camera passable and beef the battery life a bit, and it's mine.

So it looks like the G3 has a panel lottery and at least one of the options is absolute shit. GSMArena got one of those. Negative effect on battery life, poor contrast ratio, average to poor viewing angles and poor sunlight legibility.

DrFunk, did you get a good one?

Slayven

So it looks like the G3 has a panel lottery and at least one of the options is absolute shit. GSMArena got one of those. Negative effect on battery life, poor contrast ratio, average to poor viewing angles and poor sunlight legibility.

DrFunk, did you get a good one?

Whats a panel lottery?

The Verge reviews: Samsung Chromebook 2 (11.6" & 13.3")

Samsung Chromebook 2 (11.6-inch)
Verge Score: 7.2

Good Stuff
  • Simple, useful design
  • Good keyboard and trackpad
  • Cool and quiet
Bad Stuff
  • Just can't keep up with complex uses
  • Display is pixelated and washed out
  • Everything's a little cramped

Samsung Chromebook 2 (13.3-inch)
Verge Score: 7.6

Good Stuff
  • Simple, usable design
  • One of the best screens of any Chromebook
  • Good keyboard and trackpad
Bad Stuff
  • Too slow to really get anything done
Samsung got almost everything right. Almost

I learned two things from the Samsung Chromebook 2. One is that it’s clearly possible to build a decent-looking, user-friendly laptop and not charge a fortune for it. This device is an achievement, a baseline of design and portability that other manufacturers ought to take note of. If this can be done for $319 and $399, there’s no excuse for charging more for less.

The other thing I learned is that I can’t imagine ever recommending a Chromebook without an Intel processor. I believe, more fervently than ever, that Chromebooks are going to take a huge bite out of the PC market. The best models are every bit as powerful as they need to be, and offer simplicity and portability that’s still impossible for a Windows PC to achieve. But it’s a balancing act: too much power and these devices become too expensive, too little and they become unproductive. I wound up using the Chromebook 2 like a tablet — light-touch browsing, skimming my email, occasionally jotting down notes. And that ignores the true promise of Chrome OS.

I can absolutely work on a Chromebook, but I can’t work on a laptop that can’t keep up with me — and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else do so either. Samsung made almost every right decision with the Chromebook 2, but it lost sight of the fact that Chromebooks have become more than just a secondary device, more than just a web browser. We’re ready for a truly great, truly beautiful, truly portable Chromebook, and whenever it comes it’ll be big. And it’ll leave the Chromebook 2 in the dust.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/10/5788934/samsung-chromebook-2-review

Once again I'm confused by the way the Verge scores these products. The 11.6" version sucks in every way and only gets knocked down by .4, while the 13.3" version looks great, but can't do more than Netbooks ever could, yet it still gets a relatively high score.

Whats a panel lottery?

That means that the same phone gets display panels from different manufacturers with different quality standards. Some are better than others and you won't be able to figure out if you have a good or bad panel, before you buy the phone. It used to be a feature most notably on Sony phones, which is why he is so familiar with it.

Ambient80

brotkasten

I came here to post exact same thing he says the Chromebook 2 is "too slow to get any work done," but gives it a 7.6, which is borderline recommended to buy territory. What?!

I think my G2's battery gets better over time. Been leaving for work at like 8 to around 6 and still have around 75% with light to medium use. Can't find a reason to upgrade yet.

That means that the same phone gets display panels from different manufacturers with different quality standards. Some are better than others and you won't be able to figure out if you have a good or bad panel, before you buy the phone. It used to be a feature most notably on Sony phones, which is why he is so familiar with it.

Intimately acquainted.

Just went from a gs3 from a cracked screen to a HTC mate. Speakers are loud and it's so beautiful ;_; I'm using chrome now when it wasn't an option for my S3. Don't know if I'll switch back yet.

Toki767

SwiftKey went free to play. They're only making money on themes now. I may give it another shot though I've gotten quite used to Google's keyboard.

Groof

SwiftKey went free to play. They're only making money on themes now. I may give it another shot though I've gotten quite used to Google's keyboard.
It looks a hell of a lot better now, but I'm way used to Fleksy. Not only is Fleksy great but in it saves so much screen real estate in mini mode but remains fully functional.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Going down the Google I/O talks this year: https://www.google.com/events/io/schedule

There's like four of them on "cross platform app design." Also, "Nest for developers."

There's five or six Chromecast ones, too. More than Glass, I think. Glad to see Google's still behind the little dongle 100%. It's the perfect device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom