• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I get the remote play app to work on my phone? I downloaded the apk and installed it but I can't connect my DS4?

I'm just quoting you because I'm about to new page you :p

Also, HTC One M9 update:

According to Bloomberg, the phone will be powered by Qualcomm's newest Snapdragon 810 chipset. The HTC One (M9) will also double down on its considerable audio prowess, introducing Dolby Laboratories Inc.’s Dolby 5.1 audio technology, and it will all be managed by a brand spanking new Sense 7 UI with "improved location-based services,"

Hasney

So it looks like the majority are sticking with 810 regardless. I'll see what Sony is doing. Their future or not, the prospect of an 810 Ultra is too hard to resist.

Wreav

Banned
I want to make fun of HTC because it's so easy but I must try not to for they are fighting the good fight in not making their screen huge as fuck for their flagship. Bless their souls.

Does it still count as fighting the good fight if they bezel the fuck outta it, rendering the small screen moot because the body is longer than a monday morning turd?

Does it still count as fighting the good fight if they bezel the fuck outta it, rendering the small screen moot because the body is longer than a monday morning turd?

But how will we know who makes the phone if it doesn't say HTC on the front?!!?

lol I really do hate the triple bottom bezel. The speakers the logo and the soft buttons.

We'll see though. The article did mention they'd slim up the speakers. Maybe they're deciding good design trumps shitty branding. Something most android manufacturers have yet to learn.

Drifters

M9 will be a beast of a phone. I will never go back to non-boomsound phone ever. I started with the Nexus One, had issues but HTC has called me home with their product line. Nothing touches them in design or fit and finish for Android.

dc89

I got a Moto 360 for Christmas off my gf. It was completely out of the blue, a total surprise. I was going to buy myself one for my birthday in Feb, but <33

Anyway, having used it for a good 3 weeks now I have come to understand why wearables are the next big thing. This thing is super useful, for so many reasons. And it constantly surprises me with the notifications it gives me from the expected stuff to mail and calendars to the stuff I did not expect like Amazon package updates and Podcast Addict downloads. I have even been surprised at the little things which totally make sense, like changing the volume of a track or pausing it, it just feels so...right. Even the stuff I thought I wouldn't be as interested in like the Google Fit stuff I have found myself opening the app up to look at my steps and time active.

When people ask me to tell them what it does I hit them with this, which totally impressed me. My phone was on the back seat of my car, in my coat pocket. I got caught up in a road closure so asked the watch to navigate me to home and it had a think and then my phone started yelling instructions at me whilst my watch acted as a mini sat nav display. Buzzing when a new instruction was imminent and using the cards at the bottom to tell me what direction to turn.

The battery life is pretty solid, for example, I started work at 6am this morning, I was up and out with the thing on my wrist at 4:30am and I have used the watch to constantly check my messages, calendar alerts and control Podcast Addict (I went through the latest Radio Free Nintendo episode and Giant Bomb GOTY Ep1, constantly pausing and playing) and I still have over 50% battery. On a day off, where I don't use the watch as much I will go to bed with 60-70% battery.

I have had a lot of positive comments on how cool it looks and although it is a little thick (depth wise) it does not look ridiculous on my average wrist.

I got a Moto 360 for Christmas off my gf. It was completely out of the blue, a total surprise. I was going to buy myself one for my birthday in Feb, but <33

Anyway, having used it for a good 3 weeks now I have come to understand why wearables are the next big thing. This thing is super useful, for so many reasons. And it constantly surprises me with the notifications it gives me from the expected stuff to mail and calendars to the stuff I did not expect like Amazon package updates and Podcast Addict downloads. I have even been surprised at the little things which totally make sense, like changing the volume of a track or pausing it, it just feels so...right. Even the stuff I thought I wouldn't be as interested in like the Google Fit stuff I have found myself opening the app up to look at my steps and time active.

When people ask me to tell them what it does I hit them with this, which totally impressed me. My phone was on the back seat of my car, in my coat pocket. I got caught up in a road closure so asked the watch to navigate me to home and it had a think and then my phone started yelling instructions at me whilst my watch acted as a mini sat nav display. Buzzing when a new instruction was imminent and using the cards at the bottom to tell me what direction to turn.

The battery life is pretty solid, for example, I started work at 6am this morning, I was up and out with the thing on my wrist at 4:30am and I have used the watch to constantly check my messages, calendar alerts and control Podcast Addict (I went through the latest Radio Free Nintendo episode and Giant Bomb GOTY Ep1, constantly pausing and playing) and I still have over 50% battery. On a day off, where I don't use the watch as much I will go to bed with 60-70% battery.

I have had a lot of positive comments on how cool it looks and although it is a little thick (depth wise) it does not look ridiculous on my average wrist.
This post made me want a smartwatch, stat. But I must hold out, at least until the 2nd or 3rd gen Android Wear watches are available.

Maybe it will be like the Desire Eye. Those speakers are really slim. Although the machine drilled speakers on the M7 are nice.

Jesus... I hope the M9 lives up to all of this. My god...

What could possibly go wrong? Srs question though.

Also smartwatches....I'll wait for 3rd gen probably. I'm not feeling the execution of any of them at the moment. I figure by the 3rd generation they'll be much nicer in design, lighter, much longer battery, etc....right now it just seems pointless. Though I am a watch guy. Loves me some watches. But not smartwatches. I guess that's why my standards a little higher on it. It will have to take some sort of killer app or something for it to replace my nice expensive beautiful swiss made watche on my wrist. Which btw looks ten times better than any smartwatch and never need to charge ever :)

But one day.

Wreav

Banned
Yep, I'm holding out for a good 3rd or 4th gen watch. I don't like wearing analog watches, so I'll need it to have some killer functionality for me. What I've seen from the rounded Wear UI hasn't impressed me at all yet.

I'm not really THAT invested in using my phone throughout the day either. I'm always trying to find ways to lessen how much I'm using it, not tether myself further to it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest problem HTC has is selling the idea of putting audio first when most people aren't audio picky to begin with.

Couple that with most people using cheap earbuds, and most people not really using their smartphone speakers a ton and it's a tougher sale.

I personally applaud the move especially for decent headphones, but most won't even notice.

Bigger issue is no matter how baller the speakers are is the extra added size and weight worth it from a design perspective. The current M8 has dem huge HTC bezels.

Really hope this is the year HTC gets it all right. Going 20MP for the rear camera seems like a good start. Hopefully they get rid of the giant bezels and MOVE THE POWER BUTTON TO THE SIDE.

malyce

Really hope this is the year HTC gets it all right. Going 20MP for the rear camera seems like a good start. Hopefully they get rid of the giant bezels and MOVE THE POWER BUTTON TO THE SIDE.

You're a bit greedy asking for 2 Xmas in one year. Very likely that you may end up with none.

According to Sammobile, the Samsung Galaxy S6 is rumored to come with a metal and glass (presumably on the front and back) design.. This will be terrible if it turns out to be true because it won't allow users to remove the battery and will cause it to be more fragile on the of chance it is dropped on the floor.

Sammobile is pretty damn credible but this article they posted is actually quoting some other source and not their own sources so who knows. Not that I don't believe it. Lines up with other rumours. It would be funny if they used glass considering glass isn't really 'in' any more. All about that aluminium (pronounced like jony ive).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey, who knows, maybe I'll get lollipop on my M8 before they release the M9. Or any software update at all. That would be nice.

Volotaire

Having bezels doesn't imply bad design. I will agree I would rather have more screen real estate and for HTC to ditch the logo bar. I agree with the power button sentiments too, although the power gestures slightly alleviate the problem.

I agree with the Vanillite's sentiments about the audio strategy. It might also be slightly harder to attract more non-technical/familiar consumers with the phone industry with the loss of Beats Audio.

NotBacon

Guys

I need help

Nexus 6

Exchange Services eating up battery. 18% battery used, 30 minute screen time - 1%, Exchange Services 7% battery use.

I have done a factory reset and no help.

Clear cache for the offending app (Email or Gmail?), remove/add email account again, make sure it's not set to "Push".

With new Dolby digital 5.1" bezel system

lolol

What could possibly go wrong? Srs question though.

The bezel and camera were the weakest points of the M8. When was the last time HTC put out a respectable camera?

The bezel and camera were the weakest points of the M8. When was the last time HTC put out a respectable camera?

the bezel I have no faith in but HTC I remember had good camera processing software they just went with that weird ultrapixel experiment which failed. With a good sensor in there and their good software I think it'll crank out good photos.

But you never know.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This post made me want a smartwatch, stat. But I must hold out, at least until the 2nd or 3rd gen Android Wear watches are available.
I also want one. While I'm a typical early adopter, I'm not with smart watches because the benefit isn't as great. When I learned I could have the internet in my pocket, an unrefined smartphone was a no brainer. These watches, though, need to be on point for me to jump in. Stay strong, brother.

Vanillalite

Having bezels doesn't imply bad design. I will agree I would rather have more screen real estate and for HTC to ditch the logo bar. I agree with the power button sentiments too, although the power gestures slightly alleviate the problem.

I agree with the Vanillite's sentiments about the audio strategy. It might also be slightly harder to attract more non-technical/familiar consumers with the phone industry with the loss of Beats Audio.

There's nothing good about big bezels though.

The problem is if you want good speakers they need room. It's just a fact of how speakers really work.

htc-desire-eye-32.jpg
Lol

Nexus 6 speakers are great, close to Boomsound quality, and the bezels are very respectably small.
Nexus 6 speakers are glorious. I felt the sound waves hitting my face in full force. Front firing speakers are a must. Even the Moto X's single front facing speaker is better then most other phones.

Vanillalite

Nexus 6 speakers are great, close to Boomsound quality, and the bezels are very respectably small.

Edit:

IS THAT A PERISCOPE ON THE RIGHT

To be fair they are respectively small compared to the phone. The phone itself is on the upper end of the size spectrum though so the area still isn't small per say.

NotBacon

To be fair they are respectively small compared to the phone. The phone itself is on the upper end of the size spectrum though so the area still isn't small per say.

It is thinner at the top and bottom though.
I'll admit my perspective is skewed, the N6 feels........ normal size now lol

Oh god my next phone is going to be 9 inches

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google should slim down the N7 and make it LTE only. There, a great, new phone.

Hello guys, hope that you can help me

I have an LG L70 with Android 4.4.2

I can't update two apps in particular... Twitter and the bank one

I can install new apps, update other ones but those two... nope, I get a not enough space error message even if I have more than 500MB of internal storage. I uninstalled both and now I can't even install them back.

What's the issue here?

Thanks

adg1034

Recommendations for a temporary GSM (T-Mobile) phone? I'm coming from a Verizon Moto X (2013), and I'm planning on getting one of the first wave of 2015 flagships in the spring, but there'll be a few months in between.

Ideally:

• Cheap
  • Serviceable
  • Will hold its value until I can resell it

My current plan is either a 2013 Moto G LTE or a Nexus 4, but I could be persuaded to go in a different direction.

Bboy AJ

Hello guys, hope that you can help me

I have an LG L70 with Android 4.4.2

I can't update two apps in particular... Twitter and the bank one

I can install new apps, update other ones but those two... nope, I get a not enough space error message even if I have more than 500MB of internal storage. I uninstalled both and now I can't even install them back.

What's the issue here?

Thanks
You don't have enough space. Yes, I know what you're thinking. You still don't.

I also want one. While I'm a typical early adopter, I'm not with smart watches because the benefit isn't as great. When I learned I could have the internet in my pocket, an unrefined smartphone was a no brainer. These watches, though, need to be on point for me to jump in. Stay strong, brother.
Yep. I'm just waiting for the one that ticks all the right boxes, or at least some of the important ones like great battery & display. And as much as I like Android Wear in its current state, it needs some improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom