• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaked specs?

These:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/06/10/galaxy-note-4-specs-leaked/ said:
To kick it off, US variants of the Galaxy Note 4 will reportedly come packed with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, Sony-made 16MP rear-facing camera with optical image stabilization (OIS), the same 2MP front-facing camera found on the Galaxy S5, and it is stated from sources that the phone will feature a QHD (2560 x 1440) AMOLED display.

I was hoping the G3 would launch sooner, its the phone I am waiting to make the switch from Sprint to Verizon and get. Its been a long 14 years Sprint but this release date being in July is giving you my last month of money.

Toki767

I'm pretty pleased with how SwiftKey is now. I haven't used them in a year. I like that you can resize the keyboard now as I always felt it was super tall for no real reason.

The added themes are a bit better now too. There are ones closer to Google's stock keyboard and even some plain minimalist keyboard themes.

Blackhead

Redarse
The best smartphone you can buy right now is the iPhone 5S:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/11/5797664/the-best-smartphone

i agree
The Verge said:
Now, when you shop for a cellphone, your selection is more nuanced. Five things matter above all: design, battery life, ecosystem, software, and camera. Every buyer balances those criteria differently, and which you care most (and least) about could completely change what you buy...

The Winner
iPhone 5S

... Other devices may have particular advantages — a bigger screen or longer battery life — but they all come with complications and trade-offs. The 5S has none...
The logic hurts my brain.

Toki767

Never listen to The Verge on anything having to do with opinions. They're pretty much full of hypocrisy. Just read their features and news.

Husker86

While I like most of The Verge, I'm really not too fond of David Pierce's articles.

I don't even mind him picking the 5s, but the line saying that the 5s has no trade-offs (almost immediately after mentioning some trade-offs earlier in the article)? I mean come on...

Husker86

Wow...So I've always used Chrome Beta, but lately the scrolling has been laggy. I tried out normal Chrome and it's much better. Didn't know what I've been missing!

Toki767

I've always wondered why Google or really any Android developer hasn't made their app's status bars transparent like what virtually every OEM has done with the new flagships.

It was a feature in Kit Kat wasn't it? Weird that it didn't take off when everyone did it in iOS after iOS 7.

Furyous

The best smartphone you can buy right now is the iPhone 5S:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/11/5797664/the-best-smartphone

i agree

I get it under the assumption that the person buying the phone has never used a smartphone, isn't into customization, will use the phone for at least three years, and doesn't care about specs. He's covertly attacking the camera achilles heel of *some* android smartphones. However, that is a moot point given the plethora of choices.

The iPhone 5S has 2011 specs. With that said, the combination of optimized software, battery, lack of carrier bloatware, and camera make it the choice for a newb. For an experienced smartphone owner Android is the way to go. The M8, Nexus 5, OnePlus One, GS5, Note 3, and Desire are solid choices.

Miss me with fanboy criticism.

Talon

The iPhone 5S has 2011 specs. With that said, the combination of optimized software, battery, lack of carrier bloatware, and camera make it the choice for a newb. For an experienced smartphone owner Android is the way to go. The M8, Nexus 5, OnePlus One, GS5, Note 3, and Desire are solid choices.
:jnc at 2011 specs. In what world? I refer you to Anand's review.

Also, let's stop acting like the OnePlus One is a real product that shipped. Oh wait, it's already delayed.

VoxPop

I get it under the assumption that the person buying the phone has never used a smartphone, isn't into customization, will use the phone for at least three years, and doesn't care about specs. He's covertly attacking the camera achilles heel of *some* android smartphones. However, that is a moot point given the plethora of choices.

Damn so that must make all the Android phones 2010 specs.

You sure do sound furyous.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So any way to customize the G2 drag up from home shortcuts? The quick launch circle? Or the lockscreen shortcuts?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well I've seen one that is specifically for UI stuff on a G2, but as I don't own one I haven't tried it. Sideload the Xposed framework and check out the G2 modules available.

Thanks. I already tried all that. I just learned the home swipe stuff is baked into LG's rom and Xposed is no help.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
surprise shiny bug picture competition: Z2 vs G3

G3:
wiZ1h3F.jpg

Z2:

Futureman

DAMMIT.

My Galaxy Nexus' USB port just bit the dust. Battery died, I will never use that phone again.

I wanted to wait for the X+1 and the iPhone 6 to make my decision, but AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN now.

I guess I'm going to just buy the Moto X.

should I drop $340 for the off contract EDU Moto X? that would keep my Verizon unlimited data.

or I could get an iPHone 5S or HTC One or Galaxy S5 if I upgrade now (this would drop me down to a 6 GB/month data plan) for $99.

UHH.

kehs

Banned
DAMMIT.

My Galaxy Nexus' USB port just bit the dust. Battery died, I will never use that phone again.

I wanted to wait for the X+1 and the iPhone 6 to make my decision, but AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN now.

should I drop $340 for the off contract EDU Moto X? that would keep my Verizon unlimited data.

or I could get an iPHone 5S or HTC One or Galaxy S5 if I upgrade now (this would drop me down to a 6 GB/month data plan) for $99.

UHH.

There's apparently a workaround to getting the prepaid moto g on your verizon account if you don't want to drop a bunch on money right now.

thenexus6

DAMMIT.

UHH.

Get Moto E, pass time, when X+1 and iPhone 6 are out make decision.

Ambient80

lol.

NotBacon

DAMMIT.

UHH.

Get Moto E, pass time, when X+1 and iPhone 6 are out make decision.

This

The neat thing about all this streaming is that you can watch one World Cup feed on your TV while streaming another one on your phone.

I should totally find a Univision stream for the calls of GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

jokkir

My prediction for Google I/O this year:

Android 4.5 or 5.0 (leaning towards 5.0) will be revealed and then projected to release around mid-late July. They're going to name it with an L (Lollipop or Licorice) and get away from the Kitkat name. I'm going to assume this is because of licensing using the Kitkat brand name for a limited time and the reason why 4.4.3 came out so soon was to fix the bugs before moving on to the next major version.

While I was watching previous Google I/O keynotes I stumbled across what Android Police reported the other day as Quantum Paper ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9pmPa_KxsAM#t=3922 ) and ( http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...upcoming-effort-to-make-consistent-ui-simple/ ) and judging by the amount of work that they had last year to a year after, it'll still be in its early stages but will probably take a major role in the next Android version with the app and UI design. And all of the tools will be integrated in the new SDK for developers to easily use.

Android will be using a new colour scheme and will be more flat with the new major version. It'll use darker colours instead of the brighter colours in the design guidelines but will still use it ( http://developer.android.com/design/style/color.html ). All Google apps will move to their own colour instead of using the grey action bar like on Gmail or Calendar. Think of the new Google+ update.

Circle iconography will also be introduced like the Google I/O 2014 app. This will probably happen sincce Google seems to be liking circles nowadays (Hangouts, avatars in Hangouts, Google+ logo, etc)

ART will finally be in a usable state and will debut with Android 5.0. Hangouts will add Google Voice support and maybe introduce a better looking UI but look the same-ish. Google Cloud Messenger (GCM) will be big in in 5.0 and that's what Project Hera will be. Think of Google Docs but system wide and it uses GCM to do it.

Google Play Services will also be beefed up and I could see the next version being the last one for a while. It'll practically control most of Android and can push some updates without the use of a full firmware update.

I know i'm forgetting more but pretty sure some of this will happen judging by rumours, updates, and previous things Google has said.

kehs

Banned
I figure you had submitted that story to AP jokkir, since they took the same time stamp you posted a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom