• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Android will be using a new colour scheme and will be more flat with the new major version.

How flat can you get? I hope they're not going to change all app icons - I don't want my home screen to look incredibly dull and boring like Microsoft's Metro. It's my main problem with these "modern flat" UIs: they look incredibly ugly. I like current Android.

Also, is Nexus 7 2012 going to get the 4.4.3 update? My Nexus 5 updated this Tuesday, but Nexus 7 is still waiting for something that may not even happen.

Quasar

Whereas I like metro (if anything my gripe is that I cant have live tiles for win32 apps) and find android and apples grid of icons terribly boring.

Toki767

How flat can you get? I hope they're not going to change all app icons - I don't want my home screen to look incredibly dull and boring like Microsoft's Metro. It's my main problem with these "modern flat" UIs: they look incredibly ugly. I like current Android.

Also, is Nexus 7 2012 going to get the 4.4.3 update? My Nexus 5 updated this Tuesday, but Nexus 7 is still waiting for something that may not even happen.

If past experience is anything to go by, it'll probably resemble the G3's UI a little bit more.

The G2 had the transparent status/navigation bar on their homescreen before it was a feature in Kit Kat so I feel like they probably had their hands on the next Android version already and just included some of their aspects in it.

Keyouta

DAMMIT.

My Galaxy Nexus' USB port just bit the dust. Battery died, I will never use that phone again.

I wanted to wait for the X+1 and the iPhone 6 to make my decision, but AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN now.
Yeah my GNex' USB port is pretty shitty as well, it can barely hold the cable in there. I'm hoping it lasts until the end of the year. Is this a common problem with them?

kehs

Banned
Isn't the battery on the gnexus replaceable? I think there's a couple of qi receiver pads that can work in between the battery.

(insert brot mock)

Jigolo

Samsung-Galaxy-F-Prime-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-image.jpg

OLED screens:

e382ba894ae2f0adcd3d3d8b0a43b1d0.jpg

MarkusRJR

Oh fuck Oppo finally restocked the Find 7a, but in a new color. I'm thinking of getting this guy, but I'm curious... will it work with the Moto 360? I'm pretty sure the Find 7a uses Android 4.3. Not sure if I should buy it or continue to wait for the OnePlus One. Advice?

find-7a-astro-black-us-version.jpg

What do you guys think of the new color?

Battery life is finally getting good. First the LG with the G3 and now Huawei with their new Ascend.

Snapdragon 400 SoC, 1.6GHz
2GB RAM
6", 1280 x 720
16GB
microSD expansion up to 32GB

Clearly not a high-end phone, the skin is ugly as well and it's just fucking huge. But.

NdsrV7F.jpg

You’ll be able to snap photos and videos non-stop until your memory card is full – because at its core, the Ascend Mate2 is all about endurance. Huawei built this device to last an entire weekend on a single charge, and so it included software features that jealously guard its energy reserves. Every so often during our nine-day test period, we received a notification that a certain app was using too much juice, and we were given the option to shut that app down right away (another feature we wish was standard on all smartphones). On top of this, the device’s Power Saving hub offers three distinct usage plans to tailor your own stamina/performance formula –complete with a running tally of estimated time to exhaustion– and also a Monitoring screen with a list of detected “issues”: power drains to be manually wiped out if you so choose.

You’d expect all this from a device with a tiny power pack, but with a 3900 mAh (14.43Wh) reservoir, the Ascend Mate2 packs one of the biggest batteries we’ve ever handled. To put it in perspective: that’s almost the same capacity as the battery found in Google’s most recent Nexus 7 tablet (3950 mAh/15Wh). It’s so big, in fact, that Huawei expects you to spread the wealth: plug in a Micro B-to-Micro B cable, and you can charge other peoples’ devices at 1 amp output.

This is good. I know it's mostly achieved by the big battery, but I'm sure we can put something like that in a 5" package next year.

Bri

I'm thinking of buying a used GS4. Is it bloated useless crap or a decent working phone in 2014? I really don't want to spend more than 200-250€ on a phone.

CronoShot

I'm thinking of buying a used GS4. Is it bloated useless crap or a decent working phone in 2014? I really don't want to spend more than 200-250€ on a phone.

I know everyone likes to hate on Samsung, but the GS4 is still a pretty great phone, especially if you can find one for a good price.

Futureman

anyone aware of something that could charge a Samsung battery outside of the phone?

I was talking last night about my GNex USB port breaking.... I'm wondering if there's a charger I could buy to charge the battery and then insert it into the phone? Might be a good option so I can wait a few more months til new phones are out.

kagete

anyone aware of something that could charge a Samsung battery outside of the phone?

I was talking last night about my GNex USB port breaking.... I'm wondering if there's a charger I could buy to charge the battery and then insert it into the phone? Might be a good option so I can wait a few more months til new phones are out.

Yeah just search on Amazon. I had an Anker one for my Gnex back in the day, it came with 2 spare batteries and a cheap feeling charger that did the job.

kehs

Banned
Because I vaguely remember them releasing minimum specs to Android Wear so I thought I'd ask?

Don't mind liu kang....wait.

Android wear is supposed to work with ICS+ devices(because of the notifications), and the implication is that it will have a companion app like Google Glass does.

Nobody knows if moto is gonna do like samsung and have it compatible with only their own devices though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
speaking of the G3, a software update was pushed out this morning - performance is a lot smoother now

Toki767

So I'm guessing the US G3 models may actually get the Snapdragon 805. Which would make sense since I believe it releases in July in the US.

Still a great phone. Just root it and install a custom rom once you get it. I use a google edition rom myself. Don't listen to people telling you to get a HTC One. It's already over a year old and having a non replaceable battery is going to fuck you over sooner rather than later.

Groof

So I'm guessing the US G3 models may actually get the Snapdragon 805. Which would make sense since I believe it releases in July in the US.

Why would the US get special treatment? If this happens I can see LG's heads rolling.
It would very much behove them to just release an LG G3 Pro with the 805 and some other spec boost.

vivftp

surprise shiny bug picture competition: Z2 vs G3

G3:

Z2:

Really like the Z2 pic there.

I'm very curious about this new curved sensor that Sony's showing off. There's a mobile variant of it, so the question is how long until it finds its way into a Sony phone. Also, what sort of lens improvements should it bring? AFAIK the curved sensor will mean fewer lens elements are required, so the camera can be thinner overall.

So I have two weeks to play with the Moto X from the 1 cent deal. Battery makes me disappointed in my Nexus 4 even more. At almost 6 hours screen on time after using today. Very excited for the X+1.

DonMigs85

Still getting random reboots on the Nexus 7 2013 after updating to 4.4.3, it must be a hardware flaw at this point. The bug report I took mentioned something about a kernel panic

Eanan

Not sure if been posted, but for those in the UK, the Sun (shudder) has an offer going currently. Sign up to their online service for a year for £85 and receive a free 32GB Nexus 7 2013.

Super deal.

Blades64

Banned
Not sure where else I should ask this but:

I have a Nexus 5.
Bootloader unlocked.
Rooted.
TWRP.

I want to update to 4.4.3 but I'm very confused with what I'm supposed to do. Whenever I try to read up on how to update I just get even more confused because there are just so many variables involved for this thing to update properly.

Can someone help me? Or point me in the right direction?

phoenixyz

I have a Nexus 5.
Bootloader unlocked.
Rooted.
TWRP.

I want to update to 4.4.3 but I'm very confused with what I'm supposed to do. Whenever I try to read up on how to update I just get even more confused because there are just so many variables involved for this thing to update properly.

I am not 100% sure, so please read up on it before you do something, but wouldn't the easiest way be to temporarily revert the bootloader to stock (without relocking) and then just doing an OTA update (you are on stock if I understood correctly)?

mturco

I have a Nexus 5.
Bootloader unlocked.
Rooted.
TWRP.

Easiest way (in my opinion) is to just flash the factory image. Here's a step-by-step:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/63876/install-android-4-4-3-nexus-5-nexus-4-nexus-7/

If you don't want to lose all your data (which I'm assuming is the case) make sure you pay attention to this part:
If you don’t want to lose your data whilst flashing the factory image, open up the flash-all.bat file and remove -w from the fastboot update line. Mac and Linux users will need to open and edit the flash-all.sh file. If you are coming from a custom ROM or kernel, do not follow this step as you will have to wipe the data.

After that you'll need to re-root it (and reinstall Xposed if you use that).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I have a Nexus 5.
Bootloader unlocked.
Rooted.
TWRP.

I was in the same situation. Just flash the factory image. Then reflash twrp and re root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom