• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
just played with the G3....and whatever LG calls it, the phone still feels plastic, and i am not sure if you want snapdragon 801 running qhd, because there is evident micro-lag which the other 3 flagships do not suffer from. The screen seems to get hot and will drop down brightness within 15mins of use....and this time i really cant tell a difference between fhd and qhd. Maybe for asian characters it will help but i think the ppi race needs to stop!

nick nacc

Banned
When can one reasonably expect an announcement for the nexus 5 successor. I am looking to get a phone soon (motox n5 or1 +1) but don't want to jump the gun. My bro has a n5 and says the batterie is aite and the camera is good not great.

Cipherr

When can one reasonably expect an announcement for the nexus 5 successor. I am looking to get a phone soon (motox n5 or1 +1) but don't want to jump the gun. My bro has a n5 and says the batterie is aite and the camera is good not great.

End of the year at the soonest assuming the Nexus project doesn't become Android Silver.

Either way, nothings happening before October at the earliest.

XBP

So the G3 is rumored to release on 25th July in North America. I wonder if samsung and htc will release their new prime devices (or whatever they're called) by then as well?

The history of Android: The endless iterations of Google’s mobile OS (26 PAGES LONG)

its-been-quite-a-journey1.jpg

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
My Nexus 4 is on the brink of death and I'm just limping along hoping I can survive for as long as I can until one of the upcoming good phones comes out. The ghost touch and dead zone issues are making it near impossible to use.

So what's on the horizon?
OPO - July?
Moto X+1 - July?
Sony Xperia Z2 - July?
LG G3 - July 25th
Nexus - October?
Note 4 - October?

Futureman

My Nexus 4 is on the brink of death and I'm just limping along hoping I can survive for as long as I can until one of the upcoming good phones comes out. The ghost touch and dead zone issues are making it near impossible to use.

So what's on the horizon?
OPO - July?
Moto X+1 - July?
Sony Xperia Z2 - July?
LG G3 - July 25th
Nexus - October?
Note 4 - October?

at least your Nexus 4 is limping along. My G-Nex died last Thursday. Honestly it's not so horrible being without a phone, I kinda like it.

Dunno if I can wait for the X+1 though. Maybe if there was a hard release date. Ugh.

I might wait until July 4th weekend and see if Verizon has any deals or if the X+1 gets a date.

Groof

Those are imported though I think.

Can't be. One site explicitly says they're not imported and are meant for the Swedish market. Quite a reputable site too.
Maybe different stores stock different versions? I've seen some that only stock the 16GB, some that only stock the 32GB and some that stock both.

Toki767

Can't be. One site explicitly says they're not imported and are meant for the Swedish market. Quite a reputable site too.
Maybe different stores stock different versions? I've seen some that only stock the 16GB, some that only stock the 32GB and some that stock both.

But the G3 isn't even officially released outside of Korea yet I thought.

Anyway, Android Central does have an article about the differences between the European version and the Korean one.

Groof

But the G3 isn't even officially released outside of Korea yet I thought.

Anyway, Android Central does have an article about the differences between the European version and the Korean one.

Yeah they're only pre-orders for now. But it seems like Android Central are talking pretty strictly about the British version. I haven't seen any official word from LG about only bringing the 16GB to the entirety of Europe, and I'm seeing the 32GB being sold here so I'm guessing either the store they got it from doesn't stock that one or England simply won't be getting it.

Salsa

the 4.3 update for my Galaxy S3 finally appeared out of the blue. Carriers here don't do updates, and I cant find anything about them doing it online, so I dont know what's up.

thing is: it's having all those issues people first started reported when it originally was made available for the S3: Wifi issues, SLOWWWWWW charging, etc.

so, gonna install cyanogenmod once my battery fully charges. I tried to keep it OG with this phone but man no thanks

Located here in the States and am debating between the Z2 and G3. Will sell my N5 in the process. As of right now, the G3 is just available in Korea, correct? I might just say screw it and get the Z2. Really want a phone with a fantastic camera. I really love the screen size of the G3 though. 5.5 is perfect for me.

NotBacon

but i think the ppi race needs to stop!

So much this.

Should we be expecting a new slew of mid range devices now that the flagships are all (basically) released?

X+1 isn't out yet.

Get the X+1.

Salsa

well, got the latest CM on my galaxy S3 and the charging problem continues, mh.

basically, before I did the update I could have my phone charging and use it and it would still (slowly) charge. Now apparently using it while charging drains it. slower than if im not charging at all, but yeah.

MarkusRJR

X+1 hype building!

I won't be replacing my Moto X, but Motorola should move up the X+1's release.
I would be all for the Moto X+1 but Motorola will probably make it Rogers exclusive in Canada, making it unavailable to me. Even if I were to buy one outright and unlocked it'd be coated in the bloatware Rogers puts on. Don't know why Motorola keeps making their android phones exclusive to Rogers in Canada when they're on basically every carrier in the States.

So if I decide to get a G3 from ebay, this phone would work on T-Mobile no problem, correct? And will it be in English? Sorry for the noob questions. Never imported a phone before.

edit: gah, now looking at the Oppo Find 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a phone that has a great battery and camera. T-Mobile. Price doesn't matter too much.

Fuck it. Gonna go with the Oppo Find 7. Selling the N5.

Salsa

well, I was gonna install a new kernel to hopefully solve my charging issue but after trying a bunch of cables and chargers I have laying around I seem to have found one that charges consistently at 1000mA

to give you an idea, the cable/charger combo I was using before was pulling 100mA, dont know how it got that bad.

Groof

So if I decide to get a G3 from ebay, this phone would work on T-Mobile no problem, correct? And will it be in English? Sorry for the noob questions. Never imported a phone before.

edit: gah, now looking at the Oppo Find 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a phone that has a great battery and camera. T-Mobile. Price doesn't matter too much.

Fuck it. Gonna go with the Oppo Find 7. Selling the N5.
Lol that was a quick as fuck turn around. Can't speak for t mobile compatibility, you should try to find out which bands they support and the imported phone does.

As for language settings, pretty much every phone these days come with every language setting no matter its original locale. Even in Japan the cheap dumbphone carrier specific phones have a bunch of language settings! So I don't think that's an issue anymore, especially on flagships.

Salsa

man.. this cyanogenmod camera is hella bad :(

at first it recorded video at 15fps, then I flashed a previous one and now its at 25fps.. but I cant get 30fps like with the old stock samsung camera for the life of me

yyzjohn

Banned
I really like Google's Android, that's why I chose the Nexus as my last 2 phones, but my next phone I want no compromises. The speaker level on this phone is crap, can barely hear people while doing a Hangouts video call, and the camera is so so. I want my next Android phone to have a kick ass speaker and great camera. If that means going with one of the Android silver phones then so be it.

VoxPop

Moto X trial just came. The color option looks great but definitely feels cheap. I forgot how ugly stock Android was. I do like the software keys though. Phone also feels tiny compared to the HTC One despite having the same screen size.

NotBacon

Moto X trial just came. The color option looks great but definitely feels cheap. I forgot how ugly stock Android was. I do like the software keys though. Phone also feels tiny compared to the HTC One despite having the same screen size.

Stock android ugly? Moto X feels cheap?

Lol good one

Talon

I get what Vox is saying. It feels a little hollow, and the buttons rattle a little bit. Feels cheaper than the other flagships...because it is cheaper.

Talon

Buttons are a legit complaint. But "cheap"? come on talon.
Right, right. "Cheap" should be reserved for LG Optimus line or Nokia 520. "Cheaper" would be more accurate because it feels cheaper than the other flagships...because it is cheaper.

VoxPop

Sense 6 and even Sense 5 looks heaps better than plain old Tron Android

Stock Android is without a doubt a step above garbage like Touchwiz but its still hugely behind in terms of aesthetics

Didn't even post the Google Play Music app, Notification shade and all the others

And yeah the phone feels cheap. One of the better plastic phones but definitely a step behind stuff like the Z2, One, iPhone and even the Lumia.

kehs

Banned
Right, right. "Cheap" should be reserved for LG Optimus line or Nokia 520. "Cheaper" would be more accurate because it feels cheaper than the other flagships...because it is cheaper.

The 520 feels better than that nexus five though.

*legit shook*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom