• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
You haven't said why it feels cheap outside of the buttons voxpop. I mean you don't ever say anything outside of saying some vague thing outside your faux complaints.

Use your words.

I miss Vox-Pop.

VoxPop

Dont know why you keep bringing up iPhone rattling issues. I don't think I've ever had that issue on any of my iPhones. The biggest complaint I had was the sleep button not working well on my old 5 which was promptly replaced within 5 minutes of walking into an Apple Store.

The phone feels cheap in my hands compared to other phones I've used (and that's a lot of damn phones). The plastic is nothing to write home about unlike the nice finish I enjoyed on an old Lumia 920. Has a bit of heft to it despite it being plastic which I feel seems like a disadvantage but could be cause I'm using the 64GB one. I'm assuming its cost cutting measures on the materials to keep the phone priced low and all the color options. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nexus 5 had the same feel to it. The phone itself looks nice and is speedy enough but I don't see myself paying 399/499 for it. Not sure why you're all taking it personally when I was just giving my opinion on the product

Talon

I was replying to Talon who brought up rattling issues and associated it with cheapness
I said the buttons rattle, which they do. They're not fit tightly to the slots as they are in the Galaxy S series, HTC One series or even the G2.

You're the one that brought the iPhone into this for God knows what reason.

kehs

Banned
Dont know why you keep bringing up iPhone rattling issues. I don't think I've ever had that issue on any of my iPhones. The biggest complaint I had was the sleep button not working well on my old 5 which was promptly replaced within 5 minutes of walking into an Apple Store.

The phone feels cheap in my hands compared to other phones I've used (and that's a lot of damn phones). The plastic is nothing to write home about unlike the nice finish I enjoyed on an old Lumia 920. Has a bit of heft to it despite it being plastic which I feel seems like a disadvantage but could be cause I'm using the 64GB one. I'm assuming its cost cutting measures on the materials to keep the phone priced low and all the color options. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nexus 5 had the same feel to it. The phone itself looks nice and is speedy enough but I don't see myself paying 399/499 for it. Not sure why you're all taking it personally when I was just giving my opinion on the product

MotoX...heft? wtf. Lumia 185G MotoX 130G

Like I said above, do you have any real opinions on it?

Blackhead

Redarse
I said the buttons rattle, which they do. They're not fit tightly to the slots as they are in the Galaxy S series, HTC One series or even the G2.

You're the one that brought the iPhone into this for God knows what reason.
Many phones rattle, the iPhone for example. That not a mark of cheapness.

Talon

Many phones rattle, the iPhone for example. That not a mark of cheapness.
Do you want need me to write "buttons" in a larger font? Would you like it in braille, perhaps?

And again with the iPhone, grey. Seriously, I'll send you a Jony Ive doll if you can't go two posts without mentioning it.

VoxPop

MotoX...heft? wtf. Lumia 185G MotoX 130G

Like I said above, do you have any real opinions on it?

What opinions do you want?

Its like every other mid range Android phone.

I said I liked the color options and the phone felt cheap. I'm not going to write up some tech blog style review on it on the intricacies of the camera and whatnot. Active notifications are cool I guess but I would probably choose the N5 purely for specs in the same price range. It's already packed up and ready to be returned.

Blackhead

Redarse
Do you want need me to write "buttons" in a larger font? Would you like it in braille, perhaps?

And again with the iPhone, grey. Seriously, I'll send you a Jony Ive doll if you can't go two posts without mentioning it.
You could read any of the links. Many complaints about various parts of the iPhone rattling. I used iPhone as an example because I've owned those phones, experienced those issues and reviewers use it as the bench mark for phone build quality. However, if you want to compare with the "Galaxy S series, HTC One series" a quick google search will turn up people complaining about Galaxy and HTC phones with rattling buttons. It's a normal 'problem' in cellphones. You can either return the particular phone you got, and hope for something better in exchange, or live with it.

kehs

Banned
What opinions do you want?

Its like every other mid range Android phone.

I said I liked the color options and the phone felt cheap. I'm not going to write up some tech blog style review on it on the intricacies of the camera and whatnot. Active notifications are cool I guess but I would probably choose the N5 purely for specs in the same price range. It's already packed up and ready to be returned.

You could use adjectives.

Talon

I'd expect a firesale on Moto X's pretty soon, though. Whenever the X+1 gets announced, which you have to imagine is soon, considering the X came out last August. Ultimately, when you consider how much money Google staked into that marketing campaign, the phone was a huge bust. They spent S5-type money on that campaign and got no results.

Although there's no guarantee that Lenovo will keep their product pipeline, considering the layoffs immediately afterwards.

Microcenter had an in-store deal on Monday for the white 16 GB model at $225, I believe. Should be seeing more of those through July and such.

The "budget" phones next year are going to be nuts as long as they have LTE.

It's a bummer that those active notifications won't make their way to Android-proper because it's reliant on AMOLED screens.

Hahaha.... C'mon now people just because somebody think the phone you own feels cheap doesn't mean his opinion is wrong.

And C'mon it's the Moto x...that phone do feel cheap.

All the iPhone I've owned feel top notch, a tier above most android phones I've owned.

2nd best build phone i had was the Nokia pureview 808..Feels so premium even if it's plastic.

Xun

Anyone have any ideas as to why my Android phone prompted me with an invalid certificate message whilst viewing GAF earlier? It was in the NPD thread.

I've had it occasionally on Facebook, but never on GAF.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anyone have any ideas as to why my Android phone prompted me with an invalid certificate message whilst viewing GAF earlier? It was in the NPD thread.

mobile site? post a screenshot

kehs

Banned

Evilore's expanding ad network.

Talon

Huh, actually, I'm realizing that GAF's SSL certificate doesn't appear current. This is on Chrome.

thespot84

the moto x has solid weight for it's size and the buttons don't rattle at all. The soft touch on the back feels sturdy and grippy just like it should. I dunno what moto x you guys are using but it's a different batch than mine. If your buttons rattle get a new phone.

Xun

mobile site? post a screenshot

Huh, actually, I'm realizing that GAF's SSL certificate doesn't appear current. This is on Chrome.

Evilore's expanding ad network.
Here's a screenshot:

ZFLKLlm.png

Fatalah

The feel of the Moto X definitely depends on which back cover you get. The plain colored plastic backs feel thin. Textured + wood backs are solid.

Overall, the Moto X is made well! Its weight is balanced in your hand, and it can take a fall. Love the curved back and the M dimple too.

Lol that was a quick as fuck turn around. Can't speak for t mobile compatibility, you should try to find out which bands they support and the imported phone does.

As for language settings, pretty much every phone these days come with every language setting no matter its original locale. Even in Japan the cheap dumbphone carrier specific phones have a bunch of language settings! So I don't think that's an issue anymore, especially on flagships.

Yeah, it is coming down to the G3 or Oppo Find 7. Just will prolly wait till reviews of the Find 7 before making my final decision.

Groof

I'm all for ultra fast data speeds, but if this means that we're heading toward a 6 month upgrade cycle then shit is getting very silly. It's stupid enough that Sony does it, if everyone else follows suit I'll be bummed.

BUMMED.

PaulLFC

I'm having a really strange problem receiving texts on my Nexus 4 the last week or so.

I've been using Hangouts for a while which used to work fine, up until a few days ago, where it stopped delivering SMS to my phone.

I've checked using MightyText, and I have replies from people that should show up in Hangouts, but they don't - there's no record of the messages at all in the app, it's as if it thinks they've never been sent.

I installed Hello SMS and that has the same issue seemingly - so it's something to do with the phone - if MightyText can receive the messages though, surely the phone should be able to? I've tried:

- Toggling default SMS app from Hangouts to Messaging and then back to Hangouts
- Uninstalling updates for Hangouts and then reinstalling the latest update
- Clearing data for Hangouts
- Installing HelloSMS instead to see if it was just Hangouts having the issue

None of those seem to have worked. Is there anything else I can do?

Edit: Uninstalled Hangouts' updates again and made Messaging the default texting app, if I use that as default I seem to receive messages. Google helpfully "updated" Hangouts again to the broken version, despite me telling it not to auto-update (thanks Google), but just not using it at all seems to avoid the issue.

Did anyone (I have a Note 3) just get an emergency security upgrade for S Tool? I'd never seen an update like that on Android and when I clicked to download it my WiFi network went down (on my PC too).

Have I just done something stupid?

Fatalah

Does anyone know if there's a way to manually trigger the parking location card on Google Now? I tried Googling "where's my car" and "parking location" but the card doesn't appear.

(The card is there in the morning, but disappears by the evening. Probably gets confused by my train ride)

Talon

Note: Before writing a post making a direct comparison of South Korea's cellular networks to the United States' cellular networks, please consider that South Korea is roughly the size of the state of Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom