• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

The Moto X came out at a premium price, same as the other big flagships.

It was competing with the S4, M7 and G2...and there is no way the Moto x has an advantage over those device. Even review site didn't make it the must have smartphone device, it was a good device, not the oh so great and beloved device like what most people here try to make it to be.

And yes, one of the reason it picked up steam was that they kept reducing the price rapidly..
agree, nice device, interesting features, wrong price. same goes for x+1, with SD800, months later, even with those dsp, it shouldn't be more expensive than a nexus5 , and would also make sense considering what moto has been doing, with G and E.
In fact, these days there are a number of semi exclusive features depending on the flagship you choose, i wish knock on/code, waterproof, active listening , ois camera, laser/infrared focus or less interesting for me, the sound quality of m8 or the finger print thing could be found on every or most flagships

reKon

Banned
I hope they don't start with a high price again, but I have a feeling they will and think it will be justified by the better camera, bigger screen, and micro sd slot.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Moto X was always a good phone. But it was over priced. We all expected it to be $300 off contract and it ended up being double that. Only after a price drop did we adore it.

2PgDrZD.png

reKon

Banned
Moto X was always a good phone. But it was over priced. We all expected it to be $300 off contract and it ended up being double that. Only after a price drop did we adore it.

It's probably going to be the same thing over again. Start off a little high and then drop off in price.

iavi

Stagnation of some specs may be a good thing though. Hopefully we will now see advances in other areas somewhat neglected before like battery, audio quality and materials.

Again, if we look to the original Moto X, Motorola made major changes to an older chipset because their engineers had time to tinker with it. This is a major advantage gained when using mature components, along with having a lower cost.

I agree, which is why I think it's fair for the X+1 to have a bit of a hype train.

True.But I think they've learned their lesson, though. The G's gotten them the kind of sales they need, and with what they've seen from that, I think they're trying to strike a nexus like balance between specs and price with the X+1. With the specs posted, I'd guess that they're going for a 399 off-contract price @ max.

That's them building a phone that doesn't sacrifice in areas like the Nexus series tends to.

----

On a sidenote: L's not the radical change I thought it'd be...YET. It's a lot smoother, the UX design is ON POINT, and there's some interesting settings tucked away that aren't activated yet--like Wireless display, but I can definitely see this not looking like it should till apps start following the material design mantra. It all looks patchwork atm

reKon

Banned
I thought it was only certain apps where scrolling was an issue? It that the fault of the OS or can developers better optimize the performance while scrolling?

Talon

I thought it was only certain apps where scrolling was an issue? It that the fault of the OS or can developers better optimize the performance while scrolling?
It seems that the most consistent motif in this preview release is responsiveness, and not just in animations. For one, scrolling through a listview is the smoothest experience I’ve ever had in Android, bar none. It’s strange that I’ve come to expect this, but trying to scroll through a long comment thread in a Reddit client before caused pauses and stutters without fail. The same is no longer true in this build on the Nexus 5. Scrolling through a ~700 comment thread happens with no perceivable stutter. It’s still possible to get the device to choke though, and the Play Store home page still seems to have some stutters and pauses while scrolling. It’s definitely smoother than doing the same on the One (M8).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8221/first-impressions-and-hands-on-of-android-l

3phemeral

Shame about this Moto X hate all of a sudden. After 7 months, it's still the best Android phone I've had. It only took me a few months to start flashing my GNex because I wanted to see how long I could go stock before needing extra features. I used Based Touchless Control all the time and if Motorola improves on that significantly with every new hardware iteration (and what? msd slot for X+1?!), they'll have a customer for life.

reKon

Banned
It better be the most compact 5.2 inch screen sized device ever. I'm not sure if they can top the G2 though in that regard.

NotBacon

The Moto X spectacle is going to repeat itself full force.

People will see the specs, laugh, hate, disregard.

Reviews will come out, they will love, praise, recommend.

People will ignore.

When it drops in price people will start picking it up and realise it's actually really, really good and will start claiming that specs aren't really everything that makes a phone.

2015 rinse and repeat.

This.

So, from the leaked specs sheet, the X+1 improves on the original. Bigger battery, expandable media, better camera. I'm not so sure about the 5.2" screen. Motorola wants to have Moto Maker in most markets on day 1, so this should be a more impactful launch than last year.

Also this.

5.2" kills the phone IMO, the Moto X size is perfect.

Eh, if they keep the bezels tiny (and it seems like they will be), I think 5.2" is fine.

It was competing with the S4, M7 and G2...and there is no way the Moto x has an advantage over those device. Even review site didn't make it the must have smartphone device, it was a good device, not the oh so great and beloved device like what most people here try to make it to be.

Except it does....
Anyone who has actually used one as their daily driver will tell you that. Again, it's NOT about the numbers on the sheet.

On a sidenote: L's not the radical change I thought it'd be...YET. It's a lot smoother, the UX design is ON POINT, and there's some interesting settings tucked away that aren't activated yet--like Wireless display, but I can definitely see this not looking like it should till apps start following the material design mantra. It all looks patchwork atm

Android L is a HUGE change if you understand the changes they made and are still making to the runtime, not to mention the huge UI overhaul as you mentioned.
The L preview ART isn't even up to date with the latest ART:
Google I/O 2014 ART
And the several month head start should allow enough time for all but the laziest devs to update their apps, I've already changed portions of the UI in mine to play with the material theme and it's cool how easy they've made it.

Except it does....
Anyone who has actually used one as their daily driver will tell you that. Again, it's NOT about the numbers on the sheet.

I did use one, and I used other flagships during that time period. I didn't think it was worth the price vs other flagships.

It was clearly outclassed by the M7 interms of screen, sound and performance. The S4 had lagged but I still thought it was better. I even thought the nexus 4 was better. Then I got the G2 which is league ahead, then the Z1 and so on...

The Moto X felt like a cross between a HTC OneX/S3/nexus 4...
(i owned the one x and S3)

If just felt a generation behind the moment I held it.

The Moto x had something unique to offer with not so current spec BUT with a premium price. like what others poster have said,
In fact, these days there are a number of semi exclusive features depending on the flagship you choose, i wish knock on/code, waterproof, active listening , ois camera, laser/infrared focus or less interesting for me, the sound quality of m8 or the finger print thing could be found on every or most flagships
other flagship also had something unique to offer too but with better hardware spec. That's probably why the Moto X didn't do to well.

It was way offer hyped in the begining and it didn't deliver.

The funny thing is that when I was selling my M7(had it for 6 month or so), someone offered to trade their Moto X plus cash on top..lol.

Husker86

Google...VOIP via Google Voice, you know, that thing you've had on iOS Hangouts for a long while? Where the fuck is it in Android?????

Silexx

Hey guys, need some advice on my Nexus 5.

Earlier today, while tending to my pool, I unfortunately got some water splashed onto my pants where my phone was sitting into my pocket. At first, it seemed all would be fine as I could still turn on my screen, but not a minute later the screen no longer turned on.

Now my phone still seems to work as my ringtones and notifications still go off when I get message. Unfortunately, I had no rice in my house today and all stores were closed do to Canada Day so I tried to wipe out any moisture on my own.

So should I wait it out to see if things improve or am I SOL and should start looking for a new phone?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is there any way to change the size of the album list in Google Play Music? The album art is massive and low res, I would much rather it be in a list format than icons, but I can't find any way to switch it.

PaulLFC

Does anyone else have an issue where Chrome freezes for a couple of seconds every time it loads a page or you open a new tab?

Not sure if it's just my Nexus 4, but this has happened on two phones now, my original and its replacement - it could be hardware specific, but I'd have expected to see more reports of it if so. It's strange.

It will load a page, but it won't allow scrolling or clicking on links for a couple of seconds afterwards - when it finally wakes up, it even more annoyingly throws up a "Chrome isn't responding! Do you want to close it or wait?" box which I have to click to get back to browsing - the annoyance being that it actually *is* responding by the time the message pops up.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Nicktendo86

Does anyone else have an issue where Chrome freezes for a couple of seconds every time it loads a page or you open a new tab?

Not sure if it's just my Nexus 4, but this has happened on two phones now, my original and its replacement - it could be hardware specific, but I'd have expected to see more reports of it if so. It's strange.

It will load a page, but it won't allow scrolling or clicking on links for a couple of seconds afterwards - when it finally wakes up, it even more annoyingly throws up a "Chrome isn't responding! Do you want to close it or wait?" box which I have to click to get back to browsing - the annoyance being that it actually *is* responding by the time the message pops up.

I've had that happen a few times on my n4 and n7 but not every time no, is actually quite rare.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I have a Nexus 7 (2013) on 4.4.2, thinking of updating to this Android L preview and then rooting again, is there any reason I shouldn't? How easy is it to do backups of apps/data etc?

-PXG-

So I have a Nexus 7 (2013) on 4.4.2, thinking of updating to this Android L preview and then rooting again, is there any reason I shouldn't? How easy is it to do backups of apps/data etc?

The L Preview is nowhere close to being a daily driver. It's very easy to do backups with CWM or TWRP recoveries. Still, I wouldn't bother unless you just have to get a first hand taste.

Nicktendo86

The L Preview is nowhere close to being a daily driver. It's very easy to do backups with CWM or TWRP recoveries. Still, I wouldn't bother unless you just have to get a first hand taste.
Maybe for a phone but have no regrets on my n7, only a couple of apps don't work and is great otherwise.

Groof

Maybe for a phone but have no regrets on my n7, only a couple of apps don't work and is great otherwise.

Yep. While it's still a pretty janky experience (lag, poor scaling, constant memory refreshes) on the Nexus 7, it's much easier to give it a pass since you're most likely not to bring it with you wherever you go. I can take it.

Nicktendo86

Yep. While it's still a pretty janky experience (lag, poor scaling, constant memory refreshes) on the Nexus 7, it's much easier to give it a pass since you're most likely not to bring it with you wherever you go. I can take it.

Yep, and when it starts acting janky I find a quick reboot gets it going again. And when it is working well it is sooo smooth.

so i am thinking of jumping from windows to android but my contract isn't up until november. is there any inkling of what will be available phone-wise at that time or are we a bit too far out still?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Tabs will freeze every now and then, yes. Sometimes just temporarily, sometimes permanently until I reload. Typically happens when I open a cached tab that is no longer in memory. Not every time though, and I don't get the "not responding" message. Nexus 5 here.

I wouldn't say "nowhere close". Some apps don't work properly (although the vast majority do), MMS is sort of broken (SMS works great), and there are some other small bugs here and there, but nothing else important is significantly broken. And the performance of everything absolutely kicks KK's ass.

I've been using L as my daily driver since it was released, and it has mostly been great. MMS is the biggest bummer, but it's not something I use very much anyway. Don't think I'll be going back to KK.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's your experience with L?

-PXG-

What's your experience with L?

Zero. But from those who have it, no one I know or have heard from would say the preview build isn't worthy of daily use, unless you're a dev or don't plan care about bugs and FCs. Maybe for a tablet but not a phone.

It's alpha at best and very incomplete. Lots of UI stuff is missing too. Nothing wrong with playing with it though if you absolutely must. You're better off waiting and running Art right now in the mean time.

Tabs will freeze every now and then, yes. Sometimes just temporarily, sometimes permanently until I reload. Typically happens when I open a cached tab that is no longer in memory. Not every time though, and I don't get the "not responding" message. Nexus 5 here.

I wouldn't say "nowhere close". Some apps don't work properly (although the vast majority do), MMS is sort of broken (SMS works great), and there are some other small bugs here and there, but nothing else important is significantly broken. And the performance of everything absolutely kicks KK's ass.

I've been using L as my daily driver since it was released, and it has mostly been great. MMS is the biggest bummer, but it's not something I use very much anyway. Don't think I'll be going back to KK.

I'm just very picky. MMS not working would be bad for me. Plus I'm a performance Nazi. I hate bugs and hitches of any kind, so seeing that would annoy me. Plus the UI isn't done, so seeing a mix of KK and L assets would be jarring, to say the least. But that's just me.

I'm really excited for L. This is the biggest step for Android since ICS, if not bigger

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Zero. But from those who have it, no one I know or have heard from would say the preview build isn't worthy of daily use, unless you're a dev or don't plan care about bugs and FCs. Maybe for a tablet but not a phone.

It's alpha at best and very incomplete. Lots of UI stuff is missing too. Nothing wrong with playing with it though if you absolutely must. You're better off waiting and running Art right now in the mean time

It's not "very incomplete", and there really isn't a lot of UI stuff missing. It's about as feature-rich as KK, with some things missing (like a way to clear all notifications at once) and several new features. Some apps currently don't work well, but the vast majority do. FCs are very rare. Not 100% of the UI has received the Material design treatment yet (there are still some old Holo menus in there and such), but most of it looks new and fresh (this doesn't apply to most apps, obviously). Everything is smooth and fast as shit.

As I said, I've been using it as a daily driver since it was released, and except for certain apps not working well and some other minor bugs here and there it's been great. The more serous issues some people have been seeing seem to always stem from not fully wiping the phone when flashing the L image. That's on those people for modifying the flashing script provided by Google (it includes a wipe flag, which these people edit out because they don't want to lose their data). If you're gonna try this preview out you've gotta do a clean flash.

I'm just very picky. MMS not working would be bad for me. Plus I'm a performance Nazi. I hate bugs and hitches of any kind, so seeing that would annoy me. Plus the UI isn't done, so seeing a mix of KK and L assets would be jarring, to say the least. But that's just me.

I'm really excited for L. This is the biggest step for Android since ICS, if not bigger

MMS not working properly (although this might be more of a Hangouts issue, as people have reported being successful with other apps) is a bummer, sure. So if that's very important for you, yeah, maybe stick to KK for now.

Performance is one thing you DON'T have to worry about if you give L a go. It's better than KK in almost every way. Animations and scrolling is smoother, hitching/jank is pretty much non-existent, apps open and run faster than ever (although this might just be thanks to ART, which I never tried on KK), etc. Android has never felt closer to a true 60fps experience than it does with L.

Yeah, the random KK-looking assets here and there are unfortunate, but overall the UI looks much better. And it's not really a "mix" of assets, it's just that certain screens haven't been updated yet. And the status bar still looks the same. But it doesn't look like that's gonna change dramatically anyway, just some small icon adjustments and such.

Bboy AJ

It's alpha at best and very incomplete. Lots of UI stuff is missing too. Nothing wrong with playing with it though if you absolutely must. You're better off waiting and running Art right now in the mean time.!

I use it on my Nexus 5 as a daily driver. You're exaggerating. Tremendously. Bugs? FCs? Nope. At least be clear of your experience when responding to an inquiry. It's not fair otherwise.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol. Dudes like their opinions so much they make up shit just to post it.

Plenty of people in the AndroidGAF hangout have the preview installed (including myself) and none of us have had any serious issues with it. It's very usable.

How is MMS working for you? My experience is that if I'm on Wi-Fi I can neither send nor receive them, while if I'm on mobile data I can send but still not receive (I get the message saying there's an MMS to download, but when I try to do so it never completes). I've tried some of the suggested fixes, but nothing has worked.

reKon

Banned

Plenty of people in the AndroidGAF hangout have the preview installed (including myself) and none of us have had any serious issues with it. It's very usable.

Yeah, impressions from the likes of Anandtech and MKBHD don't seem to be mentioning any crippling issues.

mturco

How is MMS working for you? My experience is that if I'm on Wi-Fi I can neither send nor receive them, while if I'm on mobile data I can send but still not receive (I get the message saying there's an MMS to download, but when I try to do so it never completes). I've tried some of the suggested fixes, but nothing has worked.

Yep, it's a known issue. I'm sure it'll be fixed in the next preview image or in a Hangouts update. Not a dealbreaker for me but understandable if it is for others. Some people are claiming using a different texting app and turning wifi off works for them. I haven't tried it yet.

-PXG-

I'm not making anything up. I'm going based on what friends told me and what I've seen in previews. The UI still contains Holo assets. That is what I was alluding to when I said incomplete. If wanna run it, go ahead. For me, I'm a stickler for everything being rock solid and for visuals to be rigidly consistent. Everyone has different standards. I'm not trying to cause trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom