• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yeah, impressions from the likes of Anandtech and MKBHD don't seem to be mentioning any crippling issues.

I had a huge issue with the preview release. My Nexus 5 kept rebooting every 10 seconds or so and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Might have been due to the fact I was playing around with Tasker and root that caused it. I had to go back to KitKat. I'll give the next build a shot, hopefully it's out soon. This time I won't install any hardcore root apps until I know they're working properly under L.

Nicktendo86

I had a huge issue with the preview release. My Nexus 5 kept rebooting every 10 seconds or so and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Might have been due to the fact I was playing around with Tasker and root that caused it. I had to go back to KitKat. I'll give the next build a shot, hopefully it's out soon. This time I won't install any hardcore root apps until I know they're working properly under L.
Did you do a clean install?

Edit: vine update today has added l compatibility BTW 😂

yyzjohn

Banned
Did you do a clean install?

At first I didn't, then I did. I tried to just flash it without a factory reset, it didn't seem to be booting so I got nervous and went to the google recovery option and did a factory wipe and flashed again and it booted. So yeah it was clean I guess.

is there anyway to force my phone to not load images when I'm using my data on Chrome? I would like to save some data and keep my bill low. I have a rooted Nexus 5 if it matters.

Groof

At first I didn't, then I did. I tried to just flash it without a factory reset, it didn't seem to be booting so I got nervous and went to the google recovery option and did a factory wipe and flashed again and it booted. So yeah it was clean I guess.

Should've just let the image wipe the device. I skipped wiping the first time on my N7, and while it ran, a lot of things didn't work.
It's safer to let the image wipe since it redoes everything from the ground up.

yyzjohn

Banned
Should've just let the image wipe the device. I skipped wiping the first time on my N7, and while it ran, a lot of things didn't work.
It's safer to let the image wipe since it redoes everything from the ground up.

One other thing I noticed before the reboots started, the Location settings couldn't be changed from High Accuracy which would be a huge battery waster. Is there a way to stop that? I tried to change to battery saving but every time you left location settings and went back in it was on High Accuracy again.

Nicktendo86

One other thing I noticed before the reboots started, the Location settings couldn't be changed from High Accuracy which would be a huge battery waster. Is there a way to stop that? I tried to change to battery saving but every time you left location settings and went back in it was on High Accuracy again.
Nope that is a known bug.

yyzjohn

Banned
Was browsing XDA just now and apparently Google briefly posted a new L build just after 1pm but they quickly took it down.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not making anything up. I'm going based on what friends told me and what I've seen in previews. The UI still contains Holo assets. That is what I was alluding to when I said incomplete.

Is that what you also meant when you said there are lots of bugs and force closes?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I've had zero reboots since I flashed L shortly after it was released. So yeah, it must have been something you did. For me the OS seems completely stable. Not all apps are, but that's another matter entirely.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Currently voting on if Mr. I have zero experience with Android L PXG is cool enough for the hangout.

May fortune find you!

yyzjohn

Banned
I've had zero reboots since I flashed L shortly after it was released. So yeah, it must have been something you did. For me the OS seems completely stable. Not all apps are, but that's another matter entirely.

Oh it was bad. I was really liking L for about 3 hours, then I tried playing around with Tasker and setting up some profiles to auto switch on bluetooth when not connected to wifi (like I normally use) and BAM, reboot phone. I get back in, bring up all apps, BAM reboot phone. I get back in again, frantically attempt to go and turn off Tasker BAM reboot phone. It was like a nightmare.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh it was bad. I was really liking L for about 3 hours, then I tried playing around with Tasker and setting up some profiles to auto switch on bluetooth when not connected to wifi (like I normally use) and BAM, reboot phone. I get back in, bring up all apps, BAM reboot phone. I get back in again, frantically attempt to go and turn off Tasker BAM reboot phone. It was like a nightmare.

Did you try rebooting into safe mode (which prevents 3rd party apps from running)? In case you're not aware of this feature, you do it by pressing and holding the power off option instead of just tapping it.

Maiar_m

I've had loads of connectivity issues with L (and the MMS issue), and this even after a complete wipe. It wasn't solid enough yet to be a daily driver for me, but it's nearly there. I'll flash the next iteration in a heartbeat.

malfcn

I had some triangle in the top bar today. It was Google play requesting to update? Now I have the sync symbol stuck in the top bar.

malfcn

The triangle was on the left next to carrier, where most notifications show. The sync is on the right next to WiFi.

On the reviews people are complaining about storage. But it's 16 mb.

kehs

Banned
Search google play services and see if there's an update waiting. That happens to me alot when they roll out new services in the background.

so i am thinking of jumping from windows to android but my contract isn't up until november. is there any inkling of what will be available phone-wise at that time or are we a bit too far out still?

Note 4

also, if your contract ends before Black Friday, expect some BF deals like $1, 1¢ or free on renewal flagships. last year, the GS4 and HTC One were at that price.

reKon

Banned
Why is the OT topic so boring? You guys fucked up on this one. I told you know not to choose it. There was never any confirmation that the Nexus program was going to be disappearing.

reKon

Banned
Possible Xperia Z3 Compact spec leak

Nothing too outlandish, basically a Z1 Compact with 4.4.2 and the Snapdragon 801 instead of the 800.

And that's perfectly fine. Specs just continue to become less relevant.

It's nice that the Z3 Compact could be an option for me, but after actually looking at all the goodies in Android L, I think I'm going to have to wait for the Moto X+1 or the next Nexus because I'd want Android L ASAP

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And that's perfectly fine. Specs just continue to become less relevant.

I feel like we're now at a point similar to where PCs have been for years, where the only reason to get a really high-end machine is to run games (and some other really heavy programs). Windows itself, and most programs, will run just as smoothly on much lower specs. The same now seems to be true for Android (and other mobile OSs, I guess). L runs extremely smoothly on my Nexus 5, there's really no hitching at all except in some cases when stuff is loading while you're trying to scroll and such (and a stronger GPU won't do anything about that). I bet it's gonna run great on the N4 as well, if that phone gets the update. Better specs aren't gonna make Android itself, or most apps, run any better than they already do (the exception being the amount of RAM you have, which of course matters for multitasking). Where specs will continue to matter is with (certain) games, which will of course keep getting more and more advanced.

DonMigs85

Yeah, mobile GPUs are also starting to outstrip CPUs, hence Apple's push for Metal.
Storage speeds also need to be improved.

Jigolo

Sony still hasn't topped this design.

original.jpg

original.jpg

I was hoping for something similar with the Z3 to go with that 5.2 inch display. Here's hoping something changes at Sony.

So happy. I gave up hope that my 2012 Nexus 7 would get L. Google!!!

I'm actually shocked that ART will run on that device. Thought there were issues with Tegra but I guess not.

People like to blame Nvidia for everything but the problem with the N7 was actually the shitty slow flash memory and controller Asus used for the internal storage

terrier

I use it on my Nexus 5 as a daily driver. You're exaggerating. Tremendously. Bugs? FCs? Nope. At least be clear of your experience when responding to an inquiry. It's not fair otherwise.

well, not sure if tremendous, but having to change wifi settings every time i reboot the phone is annoying, it saves the password but not the static IP settings. I did a clean install two times just in case, and that issuekept happening, plus some apps detected no internet connection when wifi was on (lie Google Music Play). If i had an unlimited data plan i may have kept L, but that was a big issue for me. I guess it depends on each one.
It is a pretty decent build though, i can see many people keeping it since it looks awesome and is really responsive and snappy.

Possible Xperia Z3 Compact spec leak

Nothing too outlandish, basically a Z1 Compact with 4.4.2 and the Snapdragon 801 instead of the 800.

slighly bigger screen too.
Let's see how it looks, i'd pick one as a second phone and to use it when going to the beach if still waterproof

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
L is super snappy on my Nexus 5. And I was using art on it while on 4.4.4, too. It's incredible. I am glad I waited a few days just to see how it ran on other people's phones. But I have no regrets flashing. It's awesome.

Why is the OT topic so boring? You guys fucked up on this one. I told you know not to choose it. There was never any confirmation that the Nexus program was going to be disappearing.
No one reads OPs, anyway.

Doopliss

Just found out about the CyanogenMod Installer. Is CyanogenMod still worth it? I own a LG G2.
Best thing would be to watch some videos demonstrating CM11's features on youtube and decide for yourself whether you'd prefer them instead of the official firmware.

I use it on my Nexus 5 and am very happy with it. It has loads of little things that aren't in stock android that make it far better to use.

Blablurn

Best thing would be to watch some videos demonstrating CM11's features on youtube and decide for yourself whether you'd prefer them instead of the official firmware.

I use it on my Nexus 5 and am very happy with it. It has loads of little things that aren't in stock android that make it far better to use.

Yeah, I'm doing that right now. Looks not too bad so far.

terrier

It was also the stupidly sized Z Ultra so no one wanted it. Sony, finding ways of making the worst possible option at any time.

i wonder who takes this desicions sometimes, really, some are really difficult to understand.

HOwver one thing google should improve is the ability to choose launcher+framework (only launcher now afaik), so you can install any launcher, Gnow launcher or use the manufacturer one. I wish that was possible on samsung devices, since TW really slows down the device.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

For the same reason this whole thread is boring.

Google created hangouts. I finally pulled the trigger last year and created an Android GAF hangout. All the cool kids were invited, and now we all talk in there.

So nobody fucking posts in here now. LoL

PS: Congrats to PXG and Nicktendo for joining our ranks. May they have hot sisters in the name of MTurco!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i wonder who takes this desicions sometimes, really, some are really difficult to understand.

HOwver one thing google should improve is the ability to choose launcher+framework (only launcher now afaik), so you can install any launcher, Gnow launcher or use the manufacturer one. I wish that was possible on samsung devices, since TW really slows down the device.

Pretty sure you can install any launcher you want on any Android phone, including Samsung ones...? That doesn't remove TW from anywhere else in the OS though, which might be what you mean. And yes, it would be nice if other stuff could be customized as easily as the launcher.

snacknuts

we all knew her
If anyone has an LG G2 for Verizon that they're going to get rid of when the G3 or other device comes out, I would be interested in buying it.

Anyone here fucks with Ting?

Wife and I are thinking of signing up when our contract is up later this year. Already on Sprint, so we'd be used to the shitty service, except we'd be saving just over $100 per month apparently.

$1200 in savings per year? Yes please.

Down side is we'd be sticking with or current devices.

Optimus G for me.
Galaxy Nexus for her.

I'm ok with it, even though I was looking to upgrade. Her phone is a piece of shit though.

FrsDvl

Quick question! Getting a new phone one of these days. Can't decide between the S5 and Z2.
I got an S3 right now, had the S2 and S1 before that, so i'm leaning towards the Z2 cause i'd like to try something that isn't Samsung.

I want a good camera in my phone, and water/dust proof is definitely something i want.

What does GAF say? Or should i go for something completely different?

teiresias

L is super snappy on my Nexus 5. And I was using art on it while on 4.4.4, too. It's incredible. I am glad I waited a few days just to see how it ran on other people's phones. But I have no regrets flashing. It's awesome.

Wait, I haven't been paying attention. Is L at a state on the N5 that it's appropriate for a daily driver? I've not bothered to root, but getting an early look at L might force my hand (though I'm sure going into a bunch of apps that don't use the new design language will be annoying).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom