• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDraper

Banned
Hey guys. I was wondering if some of the more tech savvy GAF could help me out with something. I'm planning on selling my HTC One M7 since I recently upgraded. I did a full data reset to bring it back to how it was out of the box. I then SIM unlocked it with my unlock code and currently don't have a SIM sitting in it.

When you turn it on it'll bring up the Get Started/Emergency screen so you can begin to set up your new phone. Everything looked good, so I let the screen timeout. A little while later I come back and find the phone turned off on it's own. I power it back on and see it still has a lot of battery left.

Is something wrong with the phone? It was working great up until I did the reset and now this happens. Or is it maybe some sort of power mode thing that shuts it off on it's own after a while since it hasn't been set up yet. I've tried to Google for answers, but come up with nothing.

Help!

ParityBit

Okay that worked. Very happy with that. Figured it would have come with the most up to date software.

Now if I hide the contacts in hideout on my phone will it also hide them on the computer gmail version? Or is it just on the cell?

Soodanim

Okay that worked. Very happy with that. Figured it would have come with the most up to date software.

Now if I hide the contacts in hideout on my phone will it also hide them on the computer gmail version? Or is it just on the cell?
Do you mean displaying contacts with a phone number only? Because that's just a filter for what gets shown on that device.

Not only is the answer "no," but we also don't know whether they will at all.

Why wouldn't they give developers a more recent build to test their apps on? There must be a huge gap in terms of features and working API between this preview and the final release. I thought Google would be doing it like Apple and their iOS betas or, heck, even Microsoft and their Windows Phone dev previews.

kehs

Banned
Why wouldn't they give developers a more recent build to test their apps on? There must be a huge gap in terms of features and working API between this preview and the final release. I thought Google would be doing it like Apple and their iOS betas or, heck, even Microsoft and their Windows Phone dev previews.

Sundar is pretty much running around like a chicken with out a head when it comes to figuring out how to handle android.

Quasar

I'm okay with Chromedroid as long as it feels cohesive.

I can't say I care. The demo looked nice, but I have no interest in it aside from understanding just how it works.

Of course as an end user I was really pretty happy with what Google all showed at IO with android etc. I'm not unhappy at all with where Google is going. Well aside from the lack of AndroidHome. I fear Apple is going to steal that away from them even with Nest. Of course that whole war gives me the creeps. I'm imagining a nightmare future where when you buy/rent a house you'll need to check if the house uses the right platform that lines up with your phone.

I'm still unconvinced with Androidwear though, and wearables more generally. The only interesting use case for me is voice controlling other android devices through a watch, and thats hamstrung somewhat by the quality of voice recognition. But then I'm not constantly getting/checking phone notifications, so notifications on my wrist alone isn't me bothering.

Dead

well not really...yet
I picked up a galaxy tab s to try out and it has fucking dirt under the screen. 2nd time this happens to me in a month (first with surface pro 3). what the fuck

Speaking of Chromedroid, is there any way real users are able to use these features, like taking a call for. Your phone on your desktop or to text from there? Like, is it coming to Windows or Mac OS?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So the battery improvements in L are real???[/SPOILER]

Maybe? I'm actually not sure what I got on 4.4. And as I said, I keep the screen brighness rather low. But it's certainly possible that there has been some improvement.

och vad fan är "För högt räknad"?

I'm actually not sure, I don't even see that now (new charge cycle). But I did tap it when it was there, and I'm pretty sure it opens this screen:

Screenshot_2014-07-19-09-07-30.png

Not sure why the label was different earlier. Might just be an L bug. Or maybe there's a reason. I'm also not sure exactly what this screen is supposed to tell you. It's some sort of miscellaneous battery usage, but... yeah, I don't know.

My N5 just arrived and it can't seem to find my WiFi. It finds networks around me, but not my network. Every other device I have, including my Galaxy Nexus on 4.3, has no problems.

This kinda sucks?

E: I had to insert my sim card first. Of course!

PriitV

My N5 just arrived and it can't seem to find my WiFi. It finds networks around me, but not my network. Every other device I have, including my Galaxy Nexus on 4.3, has no problems.

This kinda sucks?

E: I had to insert my sim card first. Of course!

Uhh, it should've managed to find the wifi network without the help of a sim card, weird.

There's never a good time brot.

Trying to get over to android is literally janky.

It's the wurst.

I guess that's true. My phone shipped with 4.4.2 and I had to update to 4.4.3 before I could update to 4.4.4.

Why.

Anyway, I really like the phone. I almost wish it ran Windows Phone.

Also, the Xbox Music team is full of incompetent fucks. Not only is the Music app on Windows Phone total shit, because it has been rewritten for the second time and still isn't done, but the Android version doesn't let me play or download some songs in my playlist "due to media rights issues". What the fuck. Back to Spotify, assholes. It sucks, because I had free Xbox Music Pass codes for the next two or three years, but what good is that if the service is shit. Microsoft should really ditch the entertainment brands and focus on what they're good at. Whatever that is these days.

kehs

Banned
I it's mainly the look you're missing there are launchers like this one you can use, and there are also contacts apps and such that replicate the WP look.

You're gonna give brot flashbacks man.

brot, the updates are weird sometimes you get step by step, and sometimes you get updates that skip interims.

android ™

-----

The suit, filed in California federal court in May by two smartphone consumers, said Google requires handset manufacturers such as Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) to restrict competing apps like Microsoft's Bing search on Android phones, partly by making Google's own apps the default.

Google argued last week the proposed class action should be dismissed because consumers still are free to use the other apps. The plaintiffs counter that most consumers either don't know how to switch default settings, or will not go to the trouble.

…

But the Seattle-based plaintiffs' lawyer also has represented one of Google's main rivals. Berman defended Microsoft when it faced its own antitrust investigations over Windows. Berman said he has had "conversations with Microsoft over the years about Google's conduct," but not about this lawsuit.

…

The main issue for U.S. courts will be whether Android and mobile services like search are "technically separate, or tied in ways that impedes competition for consumers," said Michael Cusumano, a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management.

Cusumano has extensively researched Microsoft, which unsuccessfully sued the professor in the 1990s for access to his notes. This year Microsoft has sought to hire him to write an expert opinion in an unrelated proceeding.

…

t also argues that Google's deal with Apple to be the default search on iPhones and iPads locks out competitors across the mobile universe. Apple does not have its own search engine, has lower market share worldwide than Android and is not a defendant in the case.

Google's deals with handset makers do not prevent rival search engines "from reaching consumers through the various distribution channels available to them," Google wrote in its motion to dismiss the U.S. lawsuit.

Keep fucking that chicken MS.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/i...feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&irpc=932

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Use Google Music instead of Spotify.

I remember being disappointed by the people app, when I got my Galaxy Nexus, because it didn't link all the same contacts from different sources together. Looks like nothing has changed and I have a ton of duplicates populating my people app. What's the solution for this?

Use Google Music instead of Spotify.

What's the advantage?

PriitV

I remember being disappointed by the people app, when I got my Galaxy Nexus, because it didn't link all the same contacts from different sources together. Looks like nothing has changed and I have a ton of duplicates populating my people app. What's the solution for this?

What's the advantage?

There is none, a deal-breaker already for me is that there's no dedicated desktop application.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

What's the advantage?
Fix it on the contacts website. There's a find duplicates option I think.

kehs

Banned

You gotta match up the fields(first/last/phone/etc) between sources for them to be merged automatically, merge them manually, or only use a single source for your contacts.

Alright, I managed to get rid of almost all duplicates. There are two that just won't merge, but it's still a lot better than before. Thanks, guys

One last question for now (I think). What's a good and free podcast app?

Bboy AJ

Alright, I managed to get rid of almost all duplicates. There are two that just won't merge, but it's still a lot better than before. Thanks, guys

One last question for now (I think). What's a good and free podcast app?
Stop being cheap and get pocket casts.

You guys are quick, goddammit.
Remembered another one. Swiping to the right on the homescfeen should bring up Google Now, but it doesn't why does my phone hate me already?

Stop being cheap and get pocket casts.

If I wasn't cheap I wouldn't have bought the Nexus 5!

Thank you very much!

E: unfortunately Antenna Pod can't seem to find anything I'm looking for the search is terrible.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Remembered another one. Swiping to the right on the homescfeen should bring up Google Now, but it doesn't why does my phone hate me already?

If I wasn't cheap I wouldn't have bought the Nexus 5!

Thank you very much!

E: unfortunately Antenna Pod can't seem to find anything I'm looking for the search is terrible.

Don't be a n00b and just add the RSS feed.

kehs

Banned

Check to see if you have the launcher updated on the play store (I know it's crazy you go into an app store and see updates!)

If not install here.

zedge

I guess that's true. My phone shipped with 4.4.2 and I had to update to 4.4.3 before I could update to 4.4.4.

Why.

Anyway, I really like the phone. I almost wish it ran Windows Phone.

Also, the Xbox Music team is full of incompetent fucks. Not only is the Music app on Windows Phone total shit, because it has been rewritten for the second time and still isn't done, but the Android version doesn't let me play or download some songs in my playlist "due to media rights issues". What the fuck. Back to Spotify, assholes. It sucks, because I had free Xbox Music Pass codes for the next two or three years, but what good is that if the service is shit. Microsoft should really ditch the entertainment brands and focus on what they're good at. Whatever that is these days.

Google music is great.

Don't be a n00b and just add the RSS feed.

Adding RSS feeds manually? Is it 2004 again?

Check to see if you have the launcher updated on the play store (I know it's crazy you go into an app store and see updates!)

If not install here.

I'll have to check later (but I seem to remember that GEL already updated once or twice ). The battery just died during the app optimization after switching to ART. I hope it boots up without issues.

Google music is great.

I still haven't been told why it's so great or better than Spotify. No desktop and iPad app seems like a pretty big disadvantage, when compared to Spotify.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I'll have to check later (but I seem to remember that GEL already updated once or twice ). The battery just died during the app optimization after switching to ART. I hope it boots up without issues.

I still haven't been told why it's so great or better than Spotify. No desktop and iPad app seems like a pretty big disadvantage, when compared to Spotify.
The main advantage of Google Music is integration with your own collection.

The main advantage of Google Music is integration with your own collection.

Spotify plays my collection on my PC, I can create playlists and sync them to my phone. If Spotify doesn't have an artist or a song I have in my collection, I can sync the music to my phone with the desktop client. After that, it shows up in my phone app and it doesn't make a difference regarding the playlist. Really, it's great.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Spotify plays my collection on my PC, I can create playlists and sync them to my phone. If Spotify doesn't have an artist or a song I have in my collection, I can sync the music to my phone with the desktop client. After that, it shows up in my phone app and it doesn't make a difference regarding the playlist. Really, it's great.

I think there is a limit of 10000 songs on Spotify. So "power users" may be hurt.

Regardless, I use Spotify because Tmobile makes me.

zedge

You use your browser for desktop, from any pc. There is also a music manager app that auto uploads any new music from your pc to your cloud collection. For ipad just download the iphone version until the ipad one releases.

zedge

And lose the ability to use the wonderful media buttons on your keyboard.

:lol

Well I guess if you really need that.

To be honest I don't use it on my pc much at all. Streaming to my chromecast at home or from my phone or ipad at work for the most part.

Bboy AJ

Because you haven't turned google now on.

Because you haven't turned google now on.

Of course I didn't! I don't really now why I expected such a breach of privacy to be enabled by default. Thanks again! I think that's really it now. Feels like I'm all set and ready to enjoy new my shiny bright neon red phone.

Or is there anything else I should know/do?

Bboy AJ

Yeah. If you are a true Android broggie, pm vanillalite your gmail for the secret invite.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Of course I didn't! I don't really now why I expected such a breach of privacy to be enabled by default. Thanks again! I think that's really it now. Feels like I'm all set and ready to enjoy new my shiny bright neon red phone.

Or is there anything else I should know/do?

Open up G+/Photos if you want to turn on auto upload of photos to your drive. You can chose to only back them up over WiFi if you want, and they are private until you chose to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom