• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah. If you are a true Android broggie, pm vanillalite your gmail for the secret invite.

Its true Android doge. There is only one Broggie.

EdLover-CMonSon-Ep16.jpg

Yeah. If you are a true Android broggie, pm vanillalite your gmail for the secret invite.

Not interested, thank you.

Open up G+/Photos if you want to turn on auto upload of photos to your drive. You can chose to only back them up over WiFi if you want, and they are private until you chose to share.

I'm uploading them automatically to my OneDrive, where the rest of my pictures are. They recently added the functionality to the app.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm uploading them automatically to my OneDrive, where the rest of my pictures are. They recently added the functionality to the app.
Double back up can't hurt. It's free and unlimited. Also, Fleksy is the best keyboard.

jesalr

Got given a Nexus 5 yesterday. Pushed Android L. Liking it a lot so far.
Google really needs a better backup solution though, getting my appdata across should not be anywhere near the pain it actually is.

What the best case for the N5 though? I really like the look of the official Google bumpers, just want a different colour.

Drifters

Google really needs a better backup solution though, getting my appdata across should not be anywhere near the pain it actually is.

What the best case for the N5 though? I really like the look of the official Google bumpers, just want a different colour.
I bet when project Aria becomes a reality, gDrive will make a folder to backup your entire phone so you can swap space units and simply redownload offline content and personalization.

Heard it here first folks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How bad/good is this android tablet? http://www.jaoyeh.co.uk/smartpad-mini-android-4-4-hd/

On offer for £39 locally including a keyboard case, thought it might be fun to have something that I can use to play with tasker and home automation. Wouldn't be playing the latest games etc on it. Would it be upgrade able to 4.4.4? Are these OEM type tablets usually running stock android?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Double back up can't hurt. It's free and unlimited. Also, Fleksy is the best keyboard.

It's unlimited IF you set it to downscale all photos to 2048px on the longest edge, and I don't think it's set to that by default. Full-sized photos do count toward your available space.

Yeah, they really need to get some proper backup solution going. I don't need apps to be backed up (can just download them again), but app data would be very nice. Just let me use some of my 15GB of Drive storage for that.

I use the official LG Quick Cover:

unnamediujs9.jpg

Might not be for everyone, but I love it. It provides great protection on all sides when the phone is in my pocket, so I feel perfectly fine with no screen protector. Opening/closing the lid automatically activates/locks the screen, which is very convenient. I don't ever have to reach for the Power button anymore, I just flip it open and the screen turns on, and the other way around.

teiresias

So a friend of mine who works in wireless carrier retail just gave me an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (AT&T LTE version) that he had sitting around collecting dust. Guess I'll upgrade it to the official ICS release (it's still on Honeycomb) and see if I have any use-case for a tablet at all. Probably just use it as a coffee table GAF browser, LOL!!

I may root it and get all the Samsung Touchwiz cruft off of it at some point I suppose.

Vanillalite

So a friend of mine who works in wireless carrier retail just gave me an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (AT&T LTE version) that he had sitting around collecting dust. Guess I'll upgrade it to the official ICS release (it's still on Honeycomb) and see if I have any use-case for a tablet at all. Probably just use it as a coffee table GAF browser, LOL!!

I may root it and get all the Samsung Touchwiz cruft off of it at some point I suppose.

If it's free I'd definitely check XDA to see what ROMs are available.

teiresias

If it's free I'd definitely check XDA to see what ROMs are available.

Yeah, he has like four tablets laying around and wouldn't even take the $50 I offered to give him for it. I've never found myself lusting after a tablet, so I figure this is a decent chance to see if the form factor has any use for me at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, he has like four tablets laying around and wouldn't even take the $50 I offered to give him for it. I've never found myself lusting after a tablet, so I figure this is a decent chance to see if the form factor has any use for me at all.

You browse GAF etc on a laptop or smartphone? Tablet was a gamechanger for me.

CronoShot

I need a new phone badly.

g3 vs HTC one M8.

Uggghhhhhhhhhhh can't make up mind

As someone who owned an M8 and upgraded to a G3, it comes down to personal preference.

Personally? I prefer the G3. The tiny bezels give you an enormous screen in roughly the same size phone. Knock Code is brilliant. And I prefer the plastic over the metal. It's lighter, easier to grip, and lets you remove and replace the battery. Speaking of battery, despite the QHD screen, battery life is similar, if not slightly better on the G3. And if camera is important to you, it's no contest.

However, the M8 has snappier overall performance and an interface much closer to stock. Then there's the speakers, which are still the best in any phone.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. They're both great phones. But I think the G3 is the more complete package.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's probably the only hardware feature I miss form my Lumia 920 (well, and the camera, maybe). I checked if it was possible to get the feature on the Nexus 5 and it is, but it seems like it halves the battery life.

We got my wife a G3 yesterday and I played around with it for like 45 minutes and I was already trying to do it on my Note2. You get used to it very fast and then miss it immediately on any other phone.

We got my wife a G3 yesterday and I played around with it for like 45 minutes and I was already trying to do it on my Note2. You get used to it very fast and then miss it immediately on any other phone.

My only problem with that is you can't use both Knockon and Knock Code.

teiresias

You browse GAF etc on a laptop or smartphone? Tablet was a gamechanger for me.

Either on my PC or my Nexus 5. After updating the Tab to the latest official release which was Jelly Bean (which required installing that borderline malware Samsung Kies crap on my PC) my Nexus 5 is definitely more fluid and faster than the Tab.

Unfortunately, most ROM development bypassed this AT&T LTE version of the Tab and targeted the WiFi or GSM version so there's little in the way of ROMs, particularly CM ROMs. I do like the screen real estate for couch web browsing compared to the phone though.

My Galaxy Nexus is so close to complete death.
So is my brother's, but he is waiting on the X+1. It is amazing how badly the Galaxy Nexus has aged. I remember when I wanted on bad. His phone has lines on the screen and is sooo slow. Even slower than my old HTC Incredible with Gingerbread.

NotBacon

What makes people think the x+1 is even worth waiting for?

I wonder that myself. Other than the form factor for the OG Moto X I'm trying to figure out what is gonna be so baller.

- Focuses on actual user experience instead of numbers on paper. A lot of people go as far as saying it's smoother than the Nexus 5 (I don't have a Nexus 5 to verify this), but I can believe it.
- As Nexus-like as it gets without actually being a Nexus.
- Stock Android.
- Touchless controls. Sweet jesus this is useful.
- Active Display. Also extremely awesome.
- Motorola Assist. Yes.
- Feels really good in the hand.
- Good camera
- Good battery

That was all Moto X stuff. Not even the X+1. So that's why.

Also, Moto acknowledges the camera and battery were the only good (not great) parts of the Moto X (every other part of it is great), and says that's where they will focus for the X+1.

Fuck yes.

So if you want a simple answer: Just a really fast, smooth, useful, comfortable, no bullshit phone.

Edit:

I can't wait for when the new Moto X completely bombs......just like the first one.

Might actually happen, which is really sad, because I guarantee it will shit all over every flagship already out.

Quasar

Also, Moto acknowledges the camera and battery were the only good (not great) parts of the Moto X (every other part of it is great), and says that's where they will focus for the X+1.

Fuck yes.

So if you want a simple answer: Just a really fast, smooth, useful, comfortable, no bullshit phone.

Too bad it was too pricey for me. And I guess the same will be true of the x+1 versus the Nexus 6.

Fox318

So is my brother's, but he is waiting on the X+1. It is amazing how badly the Galaxy Nexus has aged. I remember when I wanted on bad. His phone has lines on the screen and is sooo slow. Even slower than my old HTC Incredible with Gingerbread.

I've waited long enough.

Now I just need to keep my unlimited Data plan on Verizon.

If I upgrade another phone on my family plan do I just need to swap the sim card or is it weird.

Vanillalite

- Focuses on actual user experience instead of numbers on paper. A lot of people go as far as saying it's smoother than the Nexus 5 (I don't have a Nexus 5 to verify this), but I can believe it.
- As Nexus-like as it gets without actually being a Nexus.
- Stock Android.
- Touchless controls. Sweet jesus this is useful.
- Active Display. Also extremely awesome.
- Motorola Assist. Yes.
- Feels really good in the hand.
- Good camera
- Good battery

Fuck yes.

Edit:

Might actually happen, which is really sad, because I guarantee it will shit all over every flagship already out.

Camera wasn't good it was average. Screen quality even beyond 720p wasn't that great either. Seems people could give two shits about this though with all of the current LG G3 love. Color accuracy matters.

Performance it was good, but almost all phones have good to great performance now.

What's gonna make it better than the N5 or the One Plus or the G3 or the Z2 or the GS5 or the M8? I'm serious.

Camera wasn't good it was average. Screen quality even beyond 720p wasn't that great either. Seems people could give two shits about this though with all of the current LG G3 love. Color accuracy matters.

Performance it was good, but almost all phones have good to great performance now.

What's gonna make it better than the N5 or the One Plus or the G3 or the Z2 or the GS5 or the M8? I'm serious.

I don't know if that dude is serious or just trolling now....

Or maybe he haven't used any other phone besides the moto X ...the moto x is nothing special as he makes it to be...

reKon

Banned
I feel like this is a constant cycle. Randomly shit on the Moto X for no reason. Too many of you are seriously lacking perspective here. All I see is more spec whoring in this thread. Maybe some people are interested in the Moto X line simply due it's size/user experience. Obviously LG G3 is a great phone, but I feel that it's too big for me to handle. Same with the OnePlus One. If you're going to throw around that stupid spec game shit, then why go and get the LG G3 when the Xperia Z3/Z3 Compact are coming out in the fall and will have the dustproof/waterproof features along with a better camera and probably better battery life?

It seems that the majority of people who owned the Moto X enjoyed it a lot. Yes, it was over priced at first, but it was not hard to find it for cheap with the constant sales that would happen throughout the year. It's definitely a phone worth getting hyped for if you're still looking for something around a 5 inch size.

jey_16

Banned
So apart from the Note 4, there's nothing else this year is there? Chances of a new nexus phone? I'm skeptical of this "silver" program because outside the US, Google has really dropped the ball. None of the GPE phones have been sold in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom