• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So apart from the Note 4, there's nothing else this year is there? Chances of a new nexus phone? I'm skeptical of this "silver" program because outside the US, Google has really dropped the ball. None of the GPE phones have been sold in Australia

Nexus, Note, and new Moto X I guess. Oneplus One doesn't really exist yet either.

NotBacon

Camera wasn't good it was average.

What's gonna make it better than the N5 or the One Plus or the G3 or the Z2 or the GS5 or the M8? I'm serious.

It won't have these problems:

- GS5 has ShitWiz
- G3 has too many pixels, and this is reflected by the overheating issues and average battery life
- N5 has average to subpar battery, and a lot of people are on Verizon :/
- Z2 is good but hard to find
- 1+ is even harder to find and still has bugs

M8 is probably the only contender to the X+1, but for me personally it has too much bezel.

Oh and the Moto X camera got better with every update. On the latest 4.4, it's good now.

I don't know if that dude is serious or just trolling now....

TROLOLOL I GAWT U TROLLLLED SO GUD GOML

Too bad it was too pricey for me. And I guess the same will be true of the x+1 versus the Nexus 6.

A lot of people are on contract so it wasn't really, and the price dropped quick because of the spec chasers

I've waited long enough.

You'll regret it.

I gotta say, I really like the design improvements in 4.4. Everything is a bit brighter, more colorful and has nicer animations. I've been thinking about flashing the L preview, but it might be too much of a hassle, if they don't update it anymore.

Groof

I gotta say, I really like the design improvements in 4.4. Everything is a bit brighter, more colorful and has nicer animations. I've been thinking about flashing the L preview, but it might be too much of a hassle, if they don't update it anymore.
Things are definitely a lot brighter still in the L preview, so if you like that from 4.4 you'll definitely enjoy whatever version L will be.
About flashing the preview, well I'd advise against it for now.

this_guy

It won't have these problems:

- GS5 has ShitWiz
- G3 has too many pixels, and this is reflected by the overheating issues and average battery life
- N5 has average to subpar battery, and a lot of people are on Verizon :/
- Z2 is good but hard to find
- 1+ is even harder to find and still has bugs

M8 is probably the only contender to the X+1, but for me personally it has too much bezel.

Oh and the Moto X camera got better with every update. On the latest 4.4, it's good now.

TROLOLOL I GAWT U TROLLLLED SO GUD GOML

A lot of people are on contract so it wasn't really, and the price dropped quick because of the spec chasers

You'll regret it.

This post sounds like a bad infomercial. You call the battery life good on the Moto X, then post battery life as a negative, or average in your words, for the G3 when the battery life for the G3 is still better than the Motorola X.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I always said the only truly good thing about the Moto X is it was an actual alternative for people with unlimited data on Verizon since the Nexus line will never work.

Vanillalite

Rumor: Moto G2

moto-g2.jpg

reKon

Banned
Why pick a moto x over a nexus 5?

There are tons of YouTube comparison videos that address this.

It really comes to ergonomics (the main thing by far), battery life, and touchless controls. I'd say that performance is better on the Nexus 5, but does not really matter as much unless you are a big gamer. Camera wise, I'm not sure because the Moto X camera improved substantially after the Kit Kat update.

Anyways all of these posts I'm seeing just confirm that the majority of you are spec whores. I owned a HTC One and loved that phone. I never did own a Moto X, but it was the most comfortable feeling phone I ever used with a great design (minimal bezels). Touchless controls are one of the most innovate features we've seen a while in a phone and I do voice commands everyday for things like setting alarms, timers for when I'm cooking, reminders, etc.

I think that Pctx just made you all hate the phone and you clearly overlooked it simply because it didn't have the best specs and initially was not priced well. It's now regularly priced similarly to the Nexus 5 with the frequent sales. You can't really go wrong with either. If the Moto X+1 makes all the rumored improvements, then it will be definitely worth picking up.

kehs

Banned
It's now regularly priced similarly to the Nexus 5 with the frequent sales. You can't really go wrong with either.

It's super bargain bin priced right now, actually thinking of buying one.😍

Motorola is cutting $100 off the price of the 16GB model, bringing it down to $299.99. People who apply the code to the 32GB or 64GB variants will save $125 instead, bringing the cost down to $324.99 and $374.99 respectively.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/18/deal-alert-moto-x-going-least-100-coupon-code-motorola-com/

Vanillalite

neat. The original moto g is a great phone. The camera is balls but your can't argue with the price.

I just hope they improve it without trying to position it as another iphone competitor.

That's what the X+1 is for so no need to worry. This is their mid range device and should stay that way.

ParityBit

I have to say I am loving my LG G3 right now!

Does anyone have one with the QuickCircle case? What are some apps which can be used with it, other than the normal ones?

Also, if you do, do you use messaging? I am trying to figure out how to shut off non-number phones. I have it set that way in the settings so I thought ....

I have to say I am loving my LG G3 right now!

Does anyone have one with the QuickCircle case? What are some apps which can be used with it, other than the normal ones?

Also, if you do, do you use messaging? I am trying to figure out how to shut off non-number phones. I have it set that way in the settings so I thought ....

only the ones LG provided. need more support for the quick circle. such a nifty thing. I really want to change the music player though.

ParityBit

only the ones LG provided. need more support for the quick circle. such a nifty thing. I really want to change the music player though.

Do you know how to change it so the text app only uses people with phones? I get an "other" category which is everyone one of my contact. I was able to fix it in Hangouts, but I wanted to try this text app since I have the circle case.

Really enjoying the G3 but the battery can be hit or miss. If going out for a night and I got a full charge, no problem. But everyday use via vids and web browsing can drop it down to the point where I need a charge before heading out again. If going out on vacation or something where I know I will be gone all day and night, I might need an external or extended battery. It is good, not great but not bad either. Middle of the line. I'm wondering if dropping the resolution will make a difference and one would assume so but I won't know unless I do it. Still need to root it but just been lazy.

ParityBit

it's not one of the supported app for quickcircle that's why. unless i'm doing something wrong when i go into the quickcircle setting.

No you are correct. it is not supported (yet). I guess they opened up the API so hopefully we will get some others which are.

rc213

OnePlus One full day use at 20hrs off the charger with 5 hrs on screen time and 28% battery left.

Dat battery! Nexus 6 better have 3,000+ mAh battery or bust.

NotBacon

Then change it? What's the problem here?

BTW anyone saying the G3 has average battery life clearly only reads bad reviews. Seriously?

OU37mFd.png

Why pick a moto x over a nexus 5?

- Focuses on actual user experience instead of numbers on paper. A lot of people go as far as saying it's smoother than the Nexus 5 (I don't have a Nexus 5 to verify this), but I can believe it.
- As Nexus-like as it gets without actually being a Nexus.
- Stock Android.
- Touchless controls. Sweet jesus this is useful.
- Active Display. Also extremely awesome.
- Motorola Assist. Yes.
- Feels really good in the hand.
- Good camera
- Good battery

snacknuts

we all knew her
I managed to pick up a new G2 on Craigslist for $250 over the weekend. I had had one for about six months until I dropped it in some water. A friend gave me his Galaxy S4 to use instead, and my god is it a piece of crap compared to the G2. I thought about just getting a G3 instead, but I played with a friend's at the end of last week and while it's certainly a nice device, it's a little too large for my tastes.

The G2 is a beast and I feel zero need to get anything different before the end of the year.

Toki767

I managed to pick up a new G2 on Craigslist for $250 over the weekend. I had had one for about six months until I dropped it in some water. A friend gave me his Galaxy S4 to use instead, and my god is it a piece of crap compared to the G2. I thought about just getting a G3 instead, but I played with a friend's at the end of last week and while it's certainly a nice device, it's a little too large for my tastes.

The G2 is a beast and I feel zero need to get anything different before the end of the year.

They're virtually the same size, except there's more screen on the G3 though.

this_guy

I think that Pctx just made you all hate the phone and you clearly overlooked it simply because it didn't have the best specs and initially was not priced well.

It wasn't priced well, meaning it was over priced. The phone itself was fine, and I loved the size, but it was over priced. The new Moto X+1 is supposedly a 5.2" screen, so it won't be the same size.

There are tons of YouTube comparison videos that address this.

It really comes to ergonomics (the main thing by far), battery life, and touchless controls. I'd say that performance is better on the Nexus 5, but does not really matter as much unless you are a big gamer. Camera wise, I'm not sure because the Moto X camera improved substantially after the Kit Kat update.

Anyways all of these posts I'm seeing just confirm that the majority of you are spec whores. I owned a HTC One and loved that phone. I never did own a Moto X, but it was the most comfortable feeling phone I ever used with a great design (minimal bezels). Touchless controls are one of the most innovate features we've seen a while in a phone and I do voice commands everyday for things like setting alarms, timers for when I'm cooking, reminders, etc.

I think that Pctx just made you all hate the phone and you clearly overlooked it simply because it didn't have the best specs and initially was not priced well. It's now regularly priced similarly to the Nexus 5 with the frequent sales. You can't really go wrong with either. If the Moto X+1 makes all the rumored improvements, then it will be definitely worth picking up.

Um no one is even mentioning specs, it's just the way the dude is promoting the Moto x like a bad infomercial. Claiming that its the greatest phone ever by listing all the competitors negative traits and not goods ones.

So what if the Moto x has that exclusive voice feature, other flagship have other semi exclusive feature too that consumer might find useful.

Like I said before android neogaf is like the worst place for someone looking for recommendations..

?

It is just my opinion on the matter. I myself would prefer more than 4ish hours of SOT.

I wasn't refering to you. You should also give it some time to break in the battery. Screen on time is also a stupid barometer. Some things are more battery intensive. If I was playing a game vs fiddling with phone settings, battery life is going to be different.

At this rate unless the new Moto X sucks my dick everyday, it's going to be a dissapointing phone.

NotBacon

Um no one is even mentioning specs, it's just the way the dude is promoting the Moto x like a bad infomercial. Claiming that its the greatest phone ever by listing all the competitors negative traits and not goods ones.

BUT WAIT, there's more...

I'm just saying, Moto X and X+1 are massively underrated. Me and many others have tried out the latest flagships but still prefer the X. Heck, a reviewer on XDA recently switched to a G3............ then switched back to the X after a week. Not because of the G3 faults (which are many), but because the X is just that good.

Having used the Moto X for a little bit, it really has the hardware look and feel part of a phone completely nailed. Too bad the camera, screen, and specs were pretty shit.

kehs

Banned
Samsung giving up their KNOX to be used in AOSP.

Samsung, with its KNOX technology, has been a thought leader in the enterprise mobility space. In order to accelerate Android adoption in the enterprise, we have partnered with Samsung to bring key KNOX functionality into Android, for the benefit of the entire Android ecosystem. We thank Samsung for their contributions. These new capabilities will make it easy for IT organizations to allow employees to bring their own Android devices to work (BYOD) and use them on the corporate network or to simply issue new Android devices to their employees. IT administrators will be able to manage a wide range of Android devices from many manufacturers, using third-party Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are built on top of the new enterprise APIs launching with Android L release.

Google and Samsung together designed the new enterprise APIs around three major concepts:

Device and data security
Support for IT policies and restrictions
Mobile application management

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2014/07/knox-contribution-to-android.html

We are excited about this partnership and its ability to drive industry-wide thought and technology leadership. Samsung remains in complete control of Samsung KNOX and we will work closely with Google to deliver a unified, secure implementation of Android to the enterprise. This will bring a number of new features to Android ‘L’, such as the ability to manage and separate business and personal data. In addition, Samsung will also continue to invest in and drive Samsung KNOX.
https://www.samsungknox.com/en/androidworkwithknox

So you mean it will work in the circle?
It works for Amazon music app. Similar to whatever player you use. Start it up and hit play. When you click the quick music app via quick circle it'll take control.

If a player you use doesn't work you might try contacting the dev of the app first

Works with spotify as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom