• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Holy fuck I forgot how much of a clusterfuck Samsung devices are. Had to troubleshoot my grandparents' Galaxy Tab 3 earlier and I wanted to nuke it from existence every 5 seconds. ShitWiz is slower and uglier than I remember, it must have been running at 10 fps, I've never seen the letter S that many times in my life, the Samsung bloat was left and right, and the UX was a nightmare. I had trouble doing simple tasks and I'm a developer....

The cherry on top was that the issue was no internet connectivity even though it was on wifi. The solution was to reset the date to today because apparently there is a common problem on many Samsung devices that randomly sets the date to Jan 1 2012, and this kills the internet. What in the ever living....

I still can't comprehend why people buy from this company. I mean, they've polished the turd with the latest ShitWiz, and the camera and screen are excellent, but damn it's just not worth it.

since uh.. when?

A long time ago. The problems were in software, which got updated promptly after 4.4 was announced.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Yeah, as Groof says, the Wirecutter recommendation is the best. I've had it for a few months now and it's awesome. Quick to both take a charge and charge your device, a complaint of mines when using other batteries. It's also cheaper than the battery you linked to.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BPN6X52/

Says dispatch in 1 - 2 months but it's been like that since I ordered mines and yet mines arrived within four days with supersaver delivery.

Groof

It's so ugly though lol. The anker one actually looks somewhat decent design wise. I wonder how they compare though

Pachimari

Wow I'm very impressed with the camera in the LG G3. Just tried it out. I should upload some pictures later. I'm super happy with my new phone and Android so far. I still totally love iOS and hope my iPhone 5 will get fixed but this one is no slough.

I'm now looking for great apps in the Play Store.

jesalr

Does anyone know a good offline news reader? Something that'll automatically download articles in the morning for my commute?

Cigol

I encrypted my phone with a pin but assumed I'd be able to swap it to a pattern password. Was I wrong. Will I regret this every single time I have to unlock the phone...

Does anyone know a good offline news reader? Something that'll automatically download articles in the morning for my commute?
The guardian app will do that for you but obviously it's only one news source (the best).

robox

gah, i've had to reset my phone for the third time in 2 months.
is this what it's like to play with modded phone?

background:
samsung galaxy s2, bought used a few months ago for development purposes. it's got cyanogenmod 4.3. my trusty iphone took a dip in the river and hasn't been the same, so i've decided to make the gs2 my daily driver. anything to make it more stable?

rebooting seems to be the solution to many problems. but since each time i've needed to reset is because the boot hangs on the spinny cyanogenmod screen, i'm hesitant to do so.

jesalr

I encrypted my phone with a pin but assumed I'd be able to swap it to a pattern password. Was I wrong. Will I regret this every single time I have to unlock the phone...

The guardian app will do that for you but obviously it's only one news source (the best).
Oh, didn't realise it was free. I remember it needing a sub to get the paper on iPad.

Cheers

Mindwipe

I tried Flyne for a long time, but it was a buggy mess that never got updated with some truly stupid bits of UI.

I'd avoid it.

Honestly, Newsstand isn't actually that bad any more.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
It's so ugly though lol. The anker one actually looks somewhat decent design wise. I wonder how they compare though

It's not pretty, I agree, but it holds almost double the juice and charges my phone appreciably quicker than three others I've tried from Anker and EasyAcc. I haven't timed it, so it's anecdotal, but the difference in charging times helps seal the deal as I'm looking for a quick recharge when I'm on the move. Given the pack lives in my bag or inside jacket pocket, I don't care too much how it looks.

It would be nice if the on-screen buttons (and maybe the notification bar, too) in Android would adapt the main color of the app. Maybe something like this?

screenshot_2014-07-22p2sv1.png

But I guess this would only work with certain apps. I'd still prefer it than having always these black bar at the top and bottom.

Doopliss

Groof

It's not pretty, I agree, but it holds almost double the juice and charges my phone appreciably quicker than three others I've tried from Anker and EasyAcc. I haven't timed it, so it's anecdotal, but the difference in charging times helps seal the deal as I'm looking for a quick recharge when I'm on the move. Given the pack lives in my bag or inside jacket pocket, I don't care too much how it looks.
That's very true. But Anker had that same one (the one previously linked) in a 12000mah variant, which is not only prettier but also holds a bit more juice. Then again it's almost £10 more expensive.

I dunno, I might just be too nitpicky

This is fantastic! Thank you. It makes the wait for 5.0 even harder. I'm really glad that Google is stepping up their design game. It's a shame it took this long, but better late than never. I'm really excited for 5.0.

this is all really pushing me towards android. i'll see how you, as a fellow windows phone-er, feel about it all come november.

Mindwipe

Holy shit, Squeenix actually updated FFIII with bug fixes, cloud saves and support for gamepads.

Some of the reviews are even saying it works with Xposed now. Ice in hell, flying pork, etc etc.

Any of the others get a similar update?

Eanan

They've gotten better over the years, but uh... Expect at least a 3-4 month gap heh

Does anyone know what are Sony like with updates?

Tempted to jump off windows phone (again) and get a Z1 for €300 unlocked on amazon, but id like if it got Android L also.

this is all really pushing me towards android. i'll see how you, as a fellow windows phone-er, feel about it all come november.

Design and smoothness is pretty much the only reason I picked Windows Phone in the first place and Metro is getting a bit stale. Android made big steps in the last two years and I really like the design these days. 4.4 isn't perfect yet, but it looks like 5.0 might be more complete. What's nice is that by this time next year, we should have a redesign of Windows Phone and Metro in general. All of this is really exciting for me!

Design and smoothness is pretty much the only reason I picked Windows Phone in the first place and Metro is getting a bit stale. Android made big steps in the last two years and I really like the design these days. 4.4 isn't perfect yet, but it looks like 5.0 might be more complete. What's nice is that by this time next year, we should have a redesign of Windows Phone and Metro in general. All of this is really exciting for me!

same, i've been with windows phone since the beginning but i am tiring of the slow approach to just about everything. i probably should have picked up on this a few years back but hey. i am really, really thinking about switching to either iphone or android, with android edging out over apple's approach right now. hearing about your woes, plus all the bloatware/customisation that you get with carriers and phone makers has made me a little trepidatious but things like the nexus line has made me a little happier to take that plunge.

anyway, android yay.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
*sigh* I already have all that setup. I just want a simple basic rss reader that doesn't require an online account for two or three critical feeds. So... nothing? Should i write my own app?
No one writes apps for your one off needs. So yes, you should.

kehs

Banned

The only hitch, is that developers are slow as shit up update the aesthetics of their applications.

Some apps just now getting to holo.

Granted this was OG Windows Phone 7, but I bailed on that shit so hard. Best mobile decision I made.

That's quite the hyperbole. Windows Phone 7.0 was merely a smarter dumbphone OS, but that was 4 years ago. No one in their right mind would say "I switched from Android 2.2 to iOS and it was the best mobile decision I made". 4 years ago, none of the three operating systems were comparable to what they are today. Travel 4 years back and post into an iPhone OS thread that you'll officially be able to install and use 3rd party keyboards. Hah.

With 8.1, Windows Phone is a competent platform and the choice obviously depends on the users needs. For some it's better, for others it isn't. Weird, I know.

The only hitch, is that developers are slow as shit up update the aesthetics of their applications.

Some apps just now getting to holo.

That's okay. As a Windows Phone user I'm used to slow app updates.

ParityBit

Not sure if joke.... but Moto X and G got kitkat before anyone else (but still after nexus). And each incremental kitkat update has taken mere weeks to get pushed.

Not really. I had both the Droid Razr and the Droid Razr Maxx. Both were dropped on the floor when it came to updates. Very glad I am off that phone manufacturer. Granted, I loved the battery on my Maxx!

Now this is the little stuff that really annoys me on Android.

screenshot_2014-07-222srf9.png

A pop-up notification, Gingerbread style. Why.

It's the little things, you know?

Groof

It's been a month since Google announced the L preview build. I can't believe they haven't released an update yet.
According to a Googler on g+ we shouldn't expect any updates at all for the preview, since there are none planned.
Now anything can change obviously, but I'd keep my expectations very low if I were you.

daoster

So...2012 Nexus 7 is acting super slow....Want to buy a new Android Tablet, is Nexus 7 2013 still the best one, or should I wait for that HTC Nexus Tablet?

Or maybe there's another affordable tablet I should be buying?

Eanan

So...2012 Nexus 7 is acting super slow....Want to buy a new Android Tablet, is Nexus 7 2013 still the best one, or should I want for that HTC Nexus Tablet?

Or maybe there's another affordable tablet I should be buying?

LG G pad is decent value also. Well made also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom