• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Now this is the little stuff that really annoys me on Android.

screenshot_2014-07-222srf9.png

A pop-up notification, Gingerbread style. Why.

It's the little things, you know?
How is that an Android issue? That's an app issue. Chrome doesn't have that.

Chrome browser is much better than dolphin. I've never seen errors like that on chrome browser.

The pop-up is not an error. It happens when you hit the refresh button on GAF Mobile, while it still refreshes the thread. And I don't like Chrome's UI.

How is that an Android issue? That's an app issue. Chrome doesn't have that.

Why does Android allow apps to use old dialog boxes?

That's okay. As a Windows Phone user you're used to slow app updates.

That doesn't make sense.

kehs

Banned
The pop-up is not an error. It happens when you hit the refresh button on GAF Mobile, while it still refreshes the thread. And I don't like Chrome's UI.

Why does Android allow apps to use old dialog boxes?

That doesn't make sense.

That's dolphin's pop up window, the developer hasn't set the proper theme.

kehs

Banned
I don't really understand Android development, so excuse the dumb question.
The Dolphin app comes with Gringerbread assets and just loads them in a 4.4 environment?

The assets are on the system(for backward compatibility). The app calls them up as specified by the developer.

For whatever reason, the dolphin guys haven't gotten around to updating their theme preference to holo. I think Google Maps navigation still has gingerbread prompts too.

Groof

So today I found out that when adding a Google account with 2 step verification, it now skips the second password prompt and goes straight to the code input. Finally!

RayStorm

Riddle me this battery mystery: My Galaxy S3 (with the stable release of CM as of a month ago) has all auto update features and the like turned off. For the past 7 days I have used it (with mobile data/WLAN/GPS/Blue Tooth all disabled) solely to listen to music for 20 minutes and took about 10 pictures. Battery as of this morning showed close to 50%, which is not unprecendented. I managed (under similar conditions) to have it run for 10+ days twice... oddly enough after those hallmarks it was back to fairly horrible battery life (given that I hardly use it). Now for the mystifying part: About 8 hours ago I missed a call (barely) and since then battery life took a steep dive, as of now it has gone down to 32%. How come? Why did that call cause my battery to empty itself that rapidly? 15% in 8 hours, after 50% lasted me for more than a week? What gives?

I hate the way the battery gets used for no apparent reason or benefit with my S3 so much. :(

NotBacon

Not really. I had both the Droid Razr and the Droid Razr Maxx. Both were dropped on the floor when it came to updates. Very glad I am off that phone manufacturer. Granted, I loved the battery on my Maxx!

You're really behind the times aren't you? Those phones came out in Jan. 2012...... under a very different Motorola.

Moto makes some of the best phones you can get now. Stock Android, fast updates, useful features, etc.

As a Nexus 5 user, is it okay install the L preview?

Just wait for the final product.

The Dolphin app comes with Gringerbread assets and just loads them in a 4.4 environment?

It's in the system assets. Ultimately that's the developers fault.

Just use a proper browser like Chrome, Javelin, CM Browser, Now Browser, etc.

Husker86

They are using a likely deprecated dialog API. I didn't start Android development until after ICS, but I know that the Holo dialog API is backwards compatible with older Android versions (they just show up like your Dolphin picture) so this is most definitely Dolphin developers being lazy. The change in code would require less than a minute, unless they have several isolated areas of code which have their own dialog code, though that would be kinda silly. Even then, it wouldn't take long at all.

Pachimari

Is it me or is Android more imprecise with clicks than iOS? Not trying to start a war here, i got both after all. 😃

But typing is much better on Android to me.

Oh and can i change the icons to the original Android stock ones? I'm on G3.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is it me or is Android more imprecise with clicks than iOS? Not trying to start a war here, i got both after all. 😃

But typing is much better on Android to me.

Oh and can i change the icons to the original Android stock ones? I'm on G3.

Probably have to change launchers to switch icons. Or use xposed.

They are using a likely deprecated dialog API. I didn't start Android development until after ICS, but I know that the Holo dialog API is backwards compatible with older Android versions (they just show up like your Dolphin picture) so this is most definitely Dolphin developers being lazy. The change in code would require less than a minute, unless they have several isolated areas of code which have their own dialog code, though that would be kinda silly. Even then, it wouldn't take long at all.

Thank you. That makes sense, but I still feel like it should be prevented by the OS or at least during debugging.

I was glad that the Microsoft Authenticator on Windows Phone can also handle Google's 2-step verification. Made it much easier to setup the Nexus last Saturday.

Doopliss

Slightly off topic (and possibly old?), but if you use the Play Music extension on Chrome it seems you aren't limited to 2 downloads of each purchased song. (By the by, this thing also lets you use keyboard media buttons to control playback. I saw the lack of this ability lamented in this thread recently.) Also the uploader utility which previously let you download your entire library now has an option to download just your Google Play purchases.

I had a hard drive fail while downloading some purchases a while back and I was worried by the prospect of a huge download should I ever need to recover those tracks in the future, but I guess it isn't an issue any more.

Yeah but i select Home every time I press the Home button..
Are you tapping on the Home icon in the list? Maybe it's dumb and only sets the app as default if you press OK. Either that or it's just completely broken.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
What's everyone's favourite widget? Coming to Android from iOS I was really interested in trying out widgets, but the play store doesn't make it easy to find actually great ones as there's just so many. Any suggestions?

VoxPop

What's everyone's favourite widget? Coming to Android from iOS I was really interested in trying out widgets, but the play store doesn't make it easy to find actually great ones as there's just so many. Any suggestions?

Don't really use any except for the clock/calendar I made in UCCW and SimpleRSS widget. Such a waste of screen space and battery.

What kinda widgets you looking for?

Crisco

Banned

Outside of the basic stuff (clock/weather/calendar), I probably use the Google Sound Search widget the most, which can probably tell you how useful widgets are on a whole. Most of them serve as little more than animated icons you use to open the associated app, and aren't worth the screen space.

NotBacon

A lot of them just come with apps, so download good apps and you'll get good widgets (usually). My current ones are: Google Play Sound Search, Yahoo weather, Google Keep, clock, and some flashlight toggle.

Husker86

Yeah but i select Home every time I press the Home button..

Are you hitting ok?

The checkbox that says set as default will use whatever option is highlighted as the default if you click ok. If you click the "Home" and not the "OK", that default might not be getting set.

If so, maybe try unchecking it and checking it again then hitting OK.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why do i keep getting this pop up everytime I click the Home button?

What phone and Android version is this? This pop-up was changed to work like this in vanilla Android quite some time ago:

ibq90iE0G5rkMq.png

Much better, there's really no room for confusion here. You just select an app, and then select whether it should only be used once (which will bring the pop-up back next time you do the same thing) or always.

EDIT: Ok, saw that you have a G3. It's on 4.4, right? No idea why LG would change this behavior from the Android default to something that is clearly less understandable. Just one of those stupid things OEMs do for no discernable reason, I guess.

Crisco

Banned
What phone and Android version is this? This pop-up was changed to work like this in vanilla Android quite some time ago:

ibq90iE0G5rkMq.png

Much better, there's really no room for confusing here. You just select an app, and then select whether it should only be used once (which will bring the pop-up back next time you do the same thing) or always.

EDIT: Ok, saw that you have a G3. It's on 4.4, right? No idea why LG would change this behavior from the Android default to something that is clearly less understandable. Just one of those stupid things OEMs do for no discernable reason, I guess.

hahaha yeah, the g3 one is so dumb. advertise "simple" and then show them a list of source code package names to choose between. dumb oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom