• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
What phone and Android version is this? This pop-up was changed to work like this in vanilla Android quite some time ago:

ibq90iE0G5rkMq.png

Much better, there's really no room for confusing here. You just select an app, and then select whether it should only be used once (which will bring the pop-up back next time you do the same thing) or always.

EDIT: Ok, saw that you have a G3. It's on 4.4, right? No idea why LG would change this behavior from the Android default to something that is clearly less understandable. Just one of those stupid things OEMs do for no discernable reason, I guess.
thats the retro throwback dialog design.

Are you hitting ok?

The checkbox that says set as default will use whatever option is highlighted as the default if you click ok. If you click the "Home" and not the "OK", that default might not be getting set.

If so, maybe try unchecking it and checking it again then hitting OK.
Slightly off topic, I wish you could set a default app but have a way to override the default for one time use situations.

Downloaded the new store, poked around in it a bit and found the two Walking Dead Compendiums for $7.99 and $2.99 respectively. Not a bad way to buy 96 comic books for $11. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way to put app shortcuts on a home screen and have notification badges on them, like ios? Or would I have to create a widget using zooper/tasker?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Don't really use any except for the clock/calendar I made in UCCW and SimpleRSS widget. Such a waste of screen space and battery.

What kinda widgets you looking for?

Well, I was using an Eye in the Sky widget for the weather because I liked the way the 5 day forecast looked, but it was a bit inaccurate. Looking for a good simple clock widget too. Maybe I need to look into UCCW.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a way to put app shortcuts on a home screen and have notification badges on them, like ios? Or would I have to create a widget using zooper/tasker?
Nova launcher.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there an "official" GAF Google+ group? I joined one but it only has two people that ever post in it, I suppose a lot of the talk goes on in here though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there an "official" GAF Google+ group? I joined one but it only has two people that ever post in it, I suppose a lot of the talk goes on in here though.
There's a hangouts group but only a few participate. Previous newcomers message for a day then never again.

Groof

But how can I make the Home dialog box go away permanently? It's so annoying. I can't reset to default in Settings.

It should just go away by itself once the default is set, so your issue is among the stranger. Go to device settings and find a tab called "Home." Try switching in there and see if anything changes.

Pachimari

It should just go away by itself once the default is set, so your issue is among the stranger. Go to device settings and find a tab called "Home." Try switching in there and see if anything changes.

It looks like this. I just set up the phone yesterday.

rlZtdTS.jpg

I don't know what to do.

ParityBit

What's everyone's favourite widget? Coming to Android from iOS I was really interested in trying out widgets, but the play store doesn't make it easy to find actually great ones as there's just so many. Any suggestions?

Just like others said, it depends on your likes/dislikes.

Two that I use are the Evernote widget, and the SportsTap. Both are great!

It looks like this. I just set up the phone yesterday.

rlZtdTS.jpg

I don't know what to do.

I have no idea what is going on with that. I have the G3 and only had that once when I first opened home. Did you look in the settings where you can select them there? Maybe that will fix it. Or maybe a factory reset on the phone?

jesalr

What's everyone's favourite widget? Coming to Android from iOS I was really interested in trying out widgets, but the play store doesn't make it easy to find actually great ones as there's just so many. Any suggestions?

Dashclock widget has to be my favourite.

j-wood

What's the verdict on the G3 GAF? I currently have a Nexus 5 on TMO, and was thinking of using my first jump at the end of this month to the G3. I just can't decide if I want to lose the N5...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Of course. I didn't want it to sound like a bad thing, but it did make me chuckle that the solution to a problem with the launcher would be "install a third launcher". How is that not funny?

I doubt that would fix it. And I don't know why he's having this issue, I've literally never seen it (and don't think I've heard of it before either). Definitely not a typical "lol Android" issue.

Maybe I should just restore it?

I accidentally reset everything on the Home screen anyway.

Yeah, I'd recommend a factory reset if that won't cause you too much trouble. Should be easy enough to get everything set up how you want it again. For the most "fresh" start, deselect the option for restoring stuff from your account during the initial setup.

Husker86

Anyone else having issues with Chrome since installing the latest update?

It's super slow and laggy for me.

I've lost the super smooth scrolling of Chrome. It now feels like Chrome Beta did a month ago which is why I switched to normal Chrome.

Disappointing Google. Can't even get a browser to be smooth consistently.

Not trying to start a battle but whats everyone's user experience with the Galaxy S5 and LG G3? I am going after work to get one of these and I cannot decided on which. Is the battery life that big of a difference on the two? Fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor worthwhile by any means on the S5?

Husker86

And people wonder why I'm using Dolphin instead of Chrome. You guys…

I've tried Dolphin and Firefox. While the scrolling may be smoother, it's very different and not in a good way. I want the 1:1 scrolling of Safari, though I like Chrome's greater inertia.

I may give another browser a shot again, but I am too used to the syncing of Chrome since I use it on every OS/device I own.

pronk420

damn articles like this (and the reaction they get) really annoy me

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Xiao...-to-look-like-a-blatant-Apple-copycat_id58490

I totally give them that the Xiaomi marketing is copying apple quite a lot, but the mi4 looks about as much like an iphone as any random android phone.

the response is then always something like 'lol Chinese can only copy', and similarly sweeping statements about Korea. because apparently 'rounded corners' really is a legitimate apple innovation (and of course no other western companies make phones with rounded corners..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom