• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if Android 5.0 is becoming more location aware? One little feature I miss from Windows Phone is the Wi-Fi Sense geofencing. It's a really neat little feature, where it automatically turns WiFi back on, when I'm home or at work. Not quite a location aware profile, but it's getting close.

e: Thinking about it, Wi-Fi Sense in general is pretty awesome.

0qpNAfK.jpg

Especially sharing the WiFi credentials with your contacts, without ever needing to tell them or type the WiFi password in. Copy that shit, Google!

jesalr

Do we know if Android 5.0 is becoming more location aware? One little feature I miss from Windows Phone is the Wi-Fi Sense geofencing. It's a really neat little feature, where it automatically turns WiFi back on, when I'm home or at work. Not quite a location aware profile, but it's getting close.

0qpNAfK.jpg

Especially sharing the WiFi credentials with your contacts, without ever needing to tell them or type the WiFi password in. Copy that shit, Google!

I use tasker to turn my wifi off when I leave home and work, and back on when I reach

this_guy

0qpNAfK.jpg

I use Qualcomm's Snapdragon battery guru app and it does that for me. Seriously everyone should use it (or Greenify) to improve battery life. It learns your usage pattern and prevents rogue apps from running in the background or doing unnecessary updates when you're phone should be sleeping.

Polari

Anyone know how to get rid/hide the SIM toolkit on a Nexus 5? The ugly ass low res icon is putting my OCD into a tailspin.

For a while I used the Smart Wi-Fi Toggler app to do this, but it was always super buggy and ultimately too frustrating to use.

I agree that it would be great to get this sort of functionality baked into stock. It's super useful when it actually works.

Anyone picking up the new Shield tablet or thinking about it? Is there an official thread for it?

I caved last night and ordered one. Was going to get a Nexus 7 but wanted something more future proof specs wise and everything I've read has sad that nVidia was really good about updates on the original Shield.

j-wood

No its pretty minimalistic. Unless you are one of those who think stock can do no wrong.

Any word on how much bloatware the TMO version has? I've only seen articles on the verizon/AT&T version so far.

The WiFi calling ability is one of the things I really want. If the N5 had that ability I probably wouldn't even consider switching.

ukas

Anyone picking up the new Shield tablet or thinking about it? Is there an official thread for it?

I caved last night and ordered one. Was going to get a Nexus 7 but wanted something more future proof specs wise and everything I've read has sad that nVidia was really good about updates on the original Shield.

I preordered mine when it was announced. I'm coming from a Nexus 10 and had one of the original 7's. I actually liked the form factor of the 7 compared to the 10.

Joshua Topolsky left The Verge for Bloomberg! :D
Nilay Patel is the new Editor in Chief at The Verge. D:

For a while I used the Smart Wi-Fi Toggler app to do this, but it was always super buggy and ultimately too frustrating to use.

I agree that it would be great to get this sort of functionality baked into stock. It's super useful when it actually works.

Yeah, it's such a nice little feature. I really wish it was baked into the OS. But I assume there are problems to pinpoint the users location correctly. I noticed it a lot that my phones can't locate me that accurately, unless I'm using a maps app. When you say you want a feature to be turned on, when you're at work, but the phone locates you few houses next to your workplace, it might not work and can be frustrating for the user.

I use Qualcomm's Snapdragon battery guru app and it does that for me. Seriously everyone should use it (or Greenify) to improve battery life. It learns your usage pattern and prevents rogue apps from running in the background or doing unnecessary updates when you're phone should be sleeping.

I installed the app and it's still learning for the next 4 days. How does it know when to turn WiFi on and off?

I use tasker to turn my wifi off when I leave home and work, and back on when I reach

I'll look into it, thanks.

Zeppu

I like Nilay. Much more competent than Topolsky. I'm sure he wouldn't spend the entire Vergecast right after the Nexus 5 is unveiled, with the only Nexus 5 available on the internet talking about his hair and makeup.

I like Nilay. Much more competent than Topolsky. I'm sure he wouldn't spend the entire Vergecast right after the Nexus 5 is unveiled, with the only Nexus 5 available on the internet talking about his hair and makeup.

The canceled the Vergecast anyway. But yeah, less hair talk is always a good thing. But Nilay definitely strikes me as one of the least unbiased editors there. If you thought the "iVerge" jokes were already bad… I like Dieter Bohn as second in command, though.

this_guy

I installed the app and it's still learning for the next 4 days. How does it know when to turn WiFi on and off?

It stores any wifi you've previously connected to, and when it's available it'll automatically connect. If there's any new wifi hot spots that are open it'll ask you if you would like to connect. I'm not sure how it decides when to try to connect, but I'm assuming the app will let wifi scan for any available hot spots (this is even when you turn wifi off on your phone)

As far as turning it off, I'm always in the habit of disconnecting my wifi when I leave the house so I'm not sure if it will automatically disconnect. But even if I forget to turn it off my standby battery is still better than without the app running. Since the app learns your usage habits I really don't bother with the app too much; I just install it, let it learn for 4 days, then hide the app in my app drawer so I don't even know it's there. My battery life at the end of a work day is always higher when I have it installed so that's good enough for me.

longdi

Banned

0qpNAfK.jpg

I can do this with my Xperia Z2, it is built in and works perfectly!
Sony :love:

I'm using Greenify; is there a reason to use this at the same time or to switch?

So ... other than the Note 4 (which I'll likely avoid due to TouchWiz), what other phones can VZW customers look forward to this year? Or is the G3 as good as it's going to get?

Because my Note II running CyanogenMod is really feeling its age.

this_guy

I'm using Greenify; is there a reason to use this at the same time or to switch?

I've never used Greenify, but they both look to do pretty much the same thing (prevent rogue apps from running in the background). I've just been using Qualcomm's app for the past year and got used to it. Also there's no real set up - just install, it'll learn your habits for the next few days, then it starts working.

Doopliss

People were saying that the international versions of the LG G3 would have a different screen calibration to that of the Korean version, which is oversaturated, has poor contrast and needless sharpening. Have there been any good reviews of the display since it came to the west?

Toki767

How can I sideload apps and is it even legal? I have no access to Simpsons, Playboard and such apps again. And no Amazon.

Download the apk, put it in your phone, and install it. It's super simple. If you're sideloading free apps, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
SlimKat runs so well on my Note 2 but the battery is so bad. I get half the battery life running SlimKat as I do running JediX20.

At least JediX20 has an awesome AOSP theme that takes away the sting of Touchwiz a little bit.

Stinks having to run 4.1.2 though. At least my non gimped bootloader is intact.

Jigolo

I love material design. I'm glad some apps are being updated so early before the release of L, it will make the next Nexus a complete device when it launches in November.

Toki767

I love material design. I'm glad some apps are being updated so early before the release of L, it will make the next Nexus a complete device when it launches in November.

It always annoys me that so many app makers don't adopt Google's design language for Android apps with any sense of urgency but bend over backwards to make sure their iOS apps match whatever new look Apple puts out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'll have to try one these apps for doing this. The WiFi detection I have setup in Tasker is very hit or miss (and mostly miss).

I use Llama and it also works perfectly. You teach it the cell towers in your preferred locations (home, work, school...) and it can automate a lot of tasks based on your location. mine keeps wifi off at work as we don't have wifi.

NotBacon

It always annoys me that so many app makers don't adopt Google's design language for Android apps with any sense of urgency but bend over backwards to make sure their iOS apps match whatever new look Apple puts out.

Isn't it because Apple puts more pressure on them? I don't remember.

teiresias

I use Llama and it also works perfectly. You teach it the cell towers in your preferred locations (home, work, school...) and it can automate a lot of tasks based on your location. mine keeps wifi off at work as we don't have wifi.

I live so close to work at the moment that I can't really go by cell tower location, I have to use whether its in range of a given WiFi SSID which requires periodic checks. I think Tasker just gets hung up in the loooooooooong wait between checks that's setup for when the phone is locked so that even when I unlock the phone it doesn't default to the faster check frequency.

SlimKat runs so well on my Note 2 but the battery is so bad. I get half the battery life running SlimKat as I do running JediX20.

At least JediX20 has an awesome AOSP theme that takes away the sting of Touchwiz a little bit.

Stinks having to run 4.1.2 though. At least my non gimped bootloader is intact.

I actually switched to Paranoid Android this morning, and really like it, other than the lack of Notification Bar toggles. I'll probably stick with this until I switch devices.

Groof

So can anyone tell me why I don't get the new tab page with the Google doodle in chrome? Both latest beta and stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom