• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

chrome-anim.gif

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/24/chrome-beta-update-introduces-material-design-styling/

Search bar shrink into place...like a penis in a cold pool.

Really missing the refresh button, but otherwise love it.

Google Now is brilliant overall, but I do get annoyed when I get cards for stuff I'm just randomly searching for and have no real interest in.

It's particularly annoying when you do a single search for a sports team and they automatically get added to your list of teams. Just because I did a quick search of the K.C. Royals right before the Indians play them doesn't mean I'm a Royals fan.

Google Now is a good idea, but it's not intelligent enough for what it wants to be. The interpretation of search queries always boils down to navigation cards for me, which is really annoying. I just searched for a cinema in my area to see if anything good is on (of course not) and instead of getting a card with movies that are about to start in X minutes or hours, I got a nav card to the cinema. With walking directions. Why.

this is the sort of cool shit people would do if there was an API

Google used to be fun

I think it was AJ who came to the conclusion that the free and open Google is no more. Maybe he's right?

kehs

Banned
You literally just activated Google now a few days ago, give it time to learn your habits.

I get movie times often.

You literally just activated Google now a few days ago, give it time to learn your habits.

I get movie times often.

I had Google Now on my Galaxy Nexus and I'm using Google search every day at work and home (yes, I'm logged in). What else am I supposed to do?

thespot84

is there any way at all to get an address OUT of google maps and INTO any other app? I wanted to add an address to calendar event, but apparently google thinks that's not a real use case...

thespot84

long press on the map then select share

thank you, and that is fucking asinine. If i search for a restaurant, the restaurant pops up with directions and a share button. I click share and it only copies a link into the clipboard. But if i long press on the map, somehow it knows to copy the address along with the url. what the fuck

Husker86

I had Google Now on my Galaxy Nexus and I'm using Google search every day at work and home (yes, I'm logged in). What else am I supposed to do?

Give it time to learn how you use the phone. It's not just about content, it's about when and where you access the content.

For example, I will frequently get showtimes for movies on the weekends which is when I usually go see movies.

I will also get restaurant suggestions on the weekends which is when I usually go out to eat.

I will get navigation times to my cousin's house on the weekends because I like to hang out there on the weekends.

I get stock prices during work hours on weekdays because that's when I'm usually keeping track of them.

It takes more than knowing what you like into account, it learns when you do the things you like, and that takes time.

im debating if I should part-ways with my Nexus 5 for a M8 or G3, the battery life of my Nexus 5 getting worst and worst ...my contract been up with AT&T already... so i can get a M8 for $80 w/2yr Contract from Amazon or G3 for $99 from BB w/2yr Contract,

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think it was AJ who came to the conclusion that the free and open Google is no more. Maybe he's right?

I am right. Google was only open because they couldn't compete being closed. Now that they have a foothold in the market, they're trying to control whatever they can. Or people can believe they're open while they decide between all the different Android Wear flavors.

Blackhead

Redarse
I am right. Google was only open because they couldn't compete being closed. Now that they have a foothold in the market, they're trying to control whatever they can. Or people can believe they're open while they decide between all the different Android Wear flavors.

You're wrong.

Even if you were right, Android is still the best option for those who care about openness and Google is much more likely than Apple and Microsoft to respond to internet pressure that they go on an open path. Google after all followed the closed Honeycomb with the open ICS (as they promised).

Eanan

Going to start sharing the OnePlus One love around here (few invites, which in turn should lead to more invites). Already sent one invite to a lucky gaffer, Madridista. Hopefully he gets a few himself when he orders it, and can give them back to people here.

By god im so pumped for this phone. More so than when I bought my first high end android last year, my old Nexus 4 (RIP).

I really hope it lives up to the hype.

Also the fact that it will get Android L in 2-3 months after release is excellent news. Hopefully they come through on their word.

CMON POSTMAN

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Refresh button is still there. If a page is still loading an X will be there instead.

Hiding things in a menu for the sake of a clean interface is the worst, especially often used things like that.

And the complete lack of customization keeps me far away from Chrome.

I absolutely hate that the address bar constantly hides and reappears. Just let me keep it there all the time.

Jigolo

Leaked moto x+1 is looking very good. I only have 2 complaints about it's *expected specs*

1. Should launch with the 801
2. Side bezels are bigger than they were on the Moto X.

The refresh button use to be in the address bar now it's not, now it's been moved to the menu screen.

Hiding things in a menu for the sake of a clean interface is the worst, especially often used things like that.

I absolutely hate that the address bar constantly hides and reappears. Just let me keep it there all the time.

Oh, I'm not saying it's better. It should definitely have stayed in the omnibar, but it is still available. That said, for me it's only a minor annoyance. And this is the beta app, so maybe things will change. Android L and Material are not yet fully baked, so I expect things to be much better come fall.

VoxPop

Yup they should just add a floating refresh button on the upper right corner with opacity settings like in the Simple RSS widget.

The 800 is perfectly capable of handling 1080p based on my G2.
The 800 is more than capable, but if I remember correctly, some people want the 801 because of the apparent battery optimizations, even if the SoC as a whole is only a minor step up from the 800.

I'd still be perfectly happy with the X+1 as it would be a real nice step up from my GS4.

Yup they should just add a floating refresh button on the upper right corner with opacity settings like in the Simple RSS widget.

Ya know, that would be great. They can make it like the floating circles in G+ and Docs, but instead of one circle, have two or three for back, forward, and refresh/stop. After a few seconds, or when you start scrolling down a page, they could slide out of the way.

Jigolo

The 800 is more than capable, but if I remember correctly, some people want the 801 because of the apparent battery optimizations, even if the SoC as a whole is only a minor step up from the 800.

I'd still be perfectly happy with the X+1 as it would be a real nice step up from my GS4.

It'd be a real step up from my Galaxy Nexus too. Just hope it keeps that OLED tradition going.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, updating Simpsons: Tapped Out took up almost 1GB.

You're not doing those updates over mobile data, are you? Don't you have Wi-Fi at home?

Google Now is a good idea, but it's not intelligent enough for what it wants to be. The interpretation of search queries always boils down to navigation cards for me, which is really annoying. I just searched for a cinema in my area to see if anything good is on (of course not) and instead of getting a card with movies that are about to start in X minutes or hours, I got a nav card to the cinema. With walking directions. Why.

Are you in the US? If not, that would be why. Google Now sucks ass in most of the world. I very rarely get anything useful from it. Weather, navigation/transit info, points of interest, and... that's pretty much it, I think. None of the other cool stuff I read about.

Pachimari

You're not doing those updates over mobile data, are you? Don't you have Wi-Fi at home?

Are you in the US? If not, that would be why. Google Now sucks ass in most of the world. I very rarely get anything useful from it. Weather, navigation/transit info, points of interest, and... that's pretty much it, I think. None of the other cool stuff I read about.
Not at the moment cause I'm on vacation. Doesn't matter anyway, I upped my data to 10GB for nothing.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Going to start sharing the OnePlus One love around here (few invites, which in turn should lead to more invites). Already sent one invite to a lucky gaffer, Madridista. Hopefully he gets a few himself when he orders it, and can give them back to people here.

By god im so pumped for this phone. More so than when I bought my first high end android last year, my old Nexus 4 (RIP).

I really hope it lives up to the hype.

Also the fact that it will get Android L in 2-3 months after release is excellent news. Hopefully they come through on their word.

CMON POSTMAN

I've had mine two weeks tomorrow and at least so far, it has exceeded every expectation. The invite system is an obvious blunder, but those that get the opportunity to get one absolutely should. Don't even consider it, just buy it. I have no idea how many invites I'll be given to share, but I plan on giving out at least one to a gaffer on the waiting list.

I have to say after patiently waiting around with my tired iphone 4, waiting for an Android flagship that at least did most things decent, my invite came at the right time. Every flagship this year has had it's own severe drawback and I'm happy that at the very least, this phone does what I want it to very well. Obviously no device will be perfect, but I don't feel like I've had to sacrifice anything with this phone. I probably could have been a little happier with a 5.2" display, but even with my kid hands I've had no real issue using the device. I haven't dropped it and I find that I actually use the display more knowing I have more real estate. I never would have watched a baseball game or movie on my iphone 4, but have no problems doing so on the OPO.

You'll have to share your impressions when yours arrives.

reKon

Banned

Ya know, that would be great. They can make it like the floating circles in G+ and Docs, but instead of one circle, have two or three for back, forward, and refresh/stop. After a few seconds, or when you start scrolling down a page, they could slide out of the way.

Yeah, people really wanted the 801 because of the battery optimization. But Motorola has always been great with battery and they heavily optimized the Snapdragon S4 with the modified chipset (X8), which did very well with battery. Most sites were saying that the battery life was noticeable great with listening mode activated. A Moto X+1 with a 2900mAH should perform just as well as the flagships in use. Idling wise, it will probably not be as good.

MarkusRJR

So I had to return my brother's phone I was borrowing. Planning to get a phone today. I was planning to get the Moto X2 or G2, but I don't have the time to wait any longer. Should I get a Moto G 16gb (to last 2 years), or should I get a Moto E right now and consider the X2 when it comes out?

Eanan

I've had mine two weeks tomorrow and at least so far, it has exceeded every expectation. The invite system is an obvious blunder, but those that get the opportunity to get one absolutely should. Don't even consider it, just buy it. I have no idea how many invites I'll be given to share, but I plan on giving out at least one to a gaffer on the waiting list.

I have to say after patiently waiting around with my tired iphone 4, waiting for an Android flagship that at least did most things decent, my invite came at the right time. Every flagship this year has had it's own severe drawback and I'm happy that at the very least, this phone does what I want it to very well. Obviously no device will be perfect, but I don't feel like I've had to sacrifice anything with this phone. I probably could have been a little happier with a 5.2" display, but even with my kid hands I've had no real issue using the device. I haven't dropped it and I find that I actually use the display more knowing I have more real estate. I never would have watched a baseball game or movie on my iphone 4, but have no problems doing so on the OPO.

You'll have to share your impressions when yours arrives.
Cool, sounds good. So excited to get the phone.

Ill definitely do a short write up of my impressions after I get the phone.

In saying that, is there anyone here who is still after a OnePlus One invite?

I mean, someone who has cash ready to buy it, and actually wants the phone and isn't debating whether to get it, as the invite is only valid for a day or so once I send it, and it would be a shame for it to be waste.

I have a spare invite going for the 64gb sandstone, and have tried the other list thread, and the couple of people at the top ive PM'ed, already have been invited so I imagine the list hasn't been updated in a while, and I really cant be bothered PMing lots of people, considering the invite expires in about half a day.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I mean, someone who has cash ready to buy it, and actually wants the phone and isn't debating whether to get it, as the invite is only valid for a day or so once I send it, and it would be a shame for it to be waste.

I have a spare invite going for the 64gb sandstone, and have tried the other list thread, and the couple of people at the top ive PM'ed, already have been invited so I imagine the list hasn't been updated in a while, and I really cant be bothered PMing lots of people, considering the invite expires in about half a day.

Lol. I just bought an invite on eBay for $26. Good looking out though.

Anyway, got a Oneplus One heading my way. Oh well.

Eanan

Lol. I just bought an invite on eBay for $26. Good looking out though.

Anyway, got a Oneplus One heading my way. Oh well.
Wow, I did not know people paid decent cash for an invite. Just looked on ebay, some are selling for $50 for an invite...

Pretty mad stuff.

I'm tempted to sell my invite now.... Damn! I could do with 40 or so bucks.

NotBacon

Basically a Moto X with front-facing speakers, aluminum trim, 1080p screen, Snapdragon 800, better camera, better battery, and 32gb of storage.

HYPE BONER AT FULL MAST

nexusae0_wm_7b_thumb.png

nexusae0_wm_1_thumb.jpg

nexusae0_wm_6_thumb.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wow, I did not know people paid decent cash for an invite. Just looked on ebay, some are selling for $50 for an invite...

Pretty mad stuff.

I'm tempted to sell my invite now.... Damn! I could do with 40 or so bucks.

Do it. The bottom is about to drop out of that market.

Pachimari

I know you are implying me but I did want the phone and it was my intention but how could I know the invite were only for a day.

The LG G3 just got an update. Apparently for battery life, power optimization and camera.

Eanan

I know you are implying me but I did want the phone and it was my intention but how could I know the invite were only for a day.

No, dont worry about it, im not giving out about you or anything. Im actually glad you told me, I appreciate it, as ive seen forums where guys have took invites, redeemed them and never used them as they came back a few days later looking for more as their other invite "expired".

Its a messy system, this invite yoke

So I had to return my brother's phone I was borrowing. Planning to get a phone today. I was planning to get the Moto X2 or G2, but I don't have the time to wait any longer. Should I get a Moto G 16gb (to last 2 years), or should I get a Moto E right now and consider the X2 when it comes out?

I don't see how you could get an E or G today as I've never seen them sold in retail stores (outside of Verizon's G).

XBP

I'll take the invite if you still have it. :D

Shepard

Just got an LG G3, the day it launched here in Brazil and damn this phone is amazing. Love the screen, but the size is the real star here. The only fault that I can point is the back cover. 2 days of normal use and there are already 4-5 deep scratches on the back, and you can easily see them, such a bummer. This has to be the most easily scratchable piece of hardware I'ver ever had. Good thing it is replaceable, but still... :(

I thought Motorola had a good thing going with the Moto E/G/X price points. I wonder if the X+1 will be high end at the 500 or so range. Or will they only raise from 299 to 399 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom