• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I use tasker to turn my wifi off when I leave home and work, and back on when I reach

Is there a way to stop a single app from using mobile data? I have tasker set to disable mobile data when it detects my home wifi, but I was using live365 and the wifi dropped for some reason and I used my whole months data allowance I one day :/

Been using my lg g3 for a few days now with the Springen Hybrid case.

Often find the rear buttons feeling warm when using the phone, anyone else find this happen to them? If so any ideas on how to remedy this? Or should i get in contact with the seller for a replacement model?

Otherwise absolutely brilliant phone :)

Edit: used for a while without the case. Simple browsing of internet and whatsapping. Find that the top half of the phone warms up considerably.

Husker86

Is there a way to stop a single app from using mobile data? I have tasker set to disable mobile data when it detects my home wifi, but I was using live365 and the wifi dropped for some reason and I used my whole months data allowance I one day :/
Go to your data usage in settings, select that app from the list, then disable background data. That will make it only able to use data if you are in the app.

NotBacon

Hmm, I installed GoSMS Pro but it doesn't seem to have the feature. I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks.

By the way, is it normal I can't click the icons on the top bar of Android?

Yeah GoSMS sux, and those icons are just indicators to let you know. Swipe down to interact with them.

Been using my lg g3 for a few days now with the Springen Hybrid case.

Often find the rear buttons feeling warm when using the phone, anyone else find this happen to them? If so any ideas on how to remedy this? Or should i get in contact with the seller for a replacement model?

Otherwise absolutely brilliant phone :)

Edit: used for a while without the case. Simple browsing of internet and whatsapping. Find that the top half of the phone warms up considerably.

Yeah the G3 overheats. Not much you can do about it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I use ChompSMS. I like it well enough. It has an option to automatically save all pictures you are texted which is really nice.

Alright, so the broken charge port on my S III has annoyed me enough, and I am just going to buy a new phone. I don't want to spend (much) more than $300 on a new or used phone, though. The only two items on my wishlist are a Micro SD card slot and OpenGL ES 3.0 support. Also, I am on T-Mobile but don't really use more than the 2G networks, so any GSM phone should do.

I know that the Nexus 5 is a great phone, but it has no card slot, something I would really love to have. I might just buy it anyway, then buy a Note 3 when it becomes a good price, selling the Nexus 5. (It probably won't depreciate in price too much.) Any suggestions?

On another note, I continue to love Android and its openness. My current phone has a broken USB port, but due to AirDroid, the phone being rooted, and having ClockworkMod I didn't really lose any functionality except for OTG. I still played with custom ROMs and I even did research to figure out how to authenticate my development PC with Android without plugging it in to USB first, which can be accomplished by poking around in the filesystem.

I thought it was brought back officially now
Late as hell reply, but technically it is official. It was included in a changelog too, i think. For some reason it just doesn't show up for everyone.

Basically, it's a Google product. Stuff like this is pretty much par for the course.

I'm deciding on a new phone to get and it seems like a lot of the flagships have pretty much the exact same stats so it mainly comes down to software.

Which android devices have the dual window functionality?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm deciding on a new phone to get and it seems like a lot of the flagships have pretty much the exact same stats so it mainly comes down to software.

Which android devices have the dual window functionality?

Dual window stuff should not be a deciding factor if you ask me. The usefulness is very limited on such a small screen.

Dual window stuff should not be a deciding factor if you ask me. The usefulness is very limited on such a small screen.

Okay fair enough, what other things should I be looking at? It seems like it mostly comes down to the small little software features each of these phones have.

I've narrowed my search down to GS5, LG G3, One M8, or the OnePlus One (if obtainable).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Okay fair enough, what other things should I be looking at? It seems like it mostly comes down to the small little software features each of these phones have.

I've narrowed my search down to GS5, LG G3, One M8, or the OnePlus One (if obtainable).

GS5 has the worst software out of all those phones.

GS5 and LG G3 both have a removable battery and sd card slot, two amazing features in a phone.

One M8 also has an sd card slot and has the best design and best speakers.

All have good battery life.

Oneplus One has great stats, but is super annoying to get right now. You can buy an invite on ebay for $50, making it a $400 phone.

Oneplus One has the best software. Even if you don't like CyanogenMod, they ported stock AOSP officially to the phone and you can root it without voiding your warranty.

To me, the Oneplus One is the right choice, especially for the price.

My Nexus 7 is on 4.4 and is rooted. What does the process entail for updating it to 4.4.4 and keeping root?

GS5 has the worst software out of all those phones.

GS5 and LG G3 both have a removable battery and sd card slot, two amazing features in a phone.

One M8 also has an sd card slot and has the best design and best speakers.

All have good battery life.

Oneplus One has great stats, but is super annoying to get right now. You can buy an invite on ebay for $50, making it a $400 phone.

Oneplus One has the best software. Even if you don't like CyanogenMod, they ported stock AOSP officially to the phone and you can root it without voiding your warranty.

To me, the Oneplus One is the right choice, especially for the price.

Thanks for the advice!

Eanan

Is there a oneplus one invite list here for people who cant get an invite?

I think since I ordered the phone, I will get three 24 hour invites to share so could send one or two to people on this forum.

Groof

My Nexus 7 is on 4.4 and is rooted. What does the process entail for updating it to 4.4.4 and keeping root?

Thanks for the advice!
Considering how easy it is to root a Nexus device, just update and reroot after the fact.
Remember that an OTA won't apply if you've done any sort of changes to the system files.

Groof

Are Android phones using a lot of data? I have 5GB a month and have never come near to using that amount but now I'm at 4.4GB..
Depends entirely on your usage. I have 3gb a month, used to have 2, and I've never gone close to that unless I streamed music several days a week.

Hasney

Depends what you're doing.

I got the default data usage alert last night for the month, so it seems I hit it hard, but I get unlimited data anyway.

If you're concerned, shove store updates for WiFi only. Data Usage in settings should show you what's eating the most up too.

EDIT: 5.56GB this month. Niiiiicceee

Donos

Are Android phones using a lot of data? I have 5GB a month and have never come near to using that amount but now I'm at 4.4GB..

I had 500mb/month and i always came close it it often times over it. I had the browser often set to "no pictures" mode. Google Now off etc.

Now i have 2GB LTE and it seems fine. Depends on what you do. I don't stream music as i have tons of music on the phone. Surfing gaf all day can rack up some mb, with all the pics and gifs.

Google Now is so creepy and boring. It needs to stop showing me cards with directions for places I've searched on my PC. And I miss the sparky and funny responses from Cortana. Can't wait for Microsoft to port her over. Wait... That would mean Bing search results... Probably not worth it then.

E: and what's with the support for sports no one cares about? Football? Soccer? Please. What about Formula 1? Why am I not getting notifications for that?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
E: and what's with the support for sports no one cares about? Football? Soccer? Please. What about Formula 1? Why am I not getting notifications for that?

The World Cup is the biggest single-even sporting competition in the world. Football is absolutely massive in pretty much every country. There are more member nations in FIFA than there are in the UN. I think you're confusing "no one cares about Football" with "I don't care about Football". I can understand you wanting more of this feature though, it's a good use of cards and it'd be nice for it to be applied to more, less popular sports.

The World Cup is the biggest single-even sporting competition in the world. Football is absolutely massive in pretty much every country. There are more member nations in FIFA than there are in the UN. I think you're confusing "no one cares about Football" with "I don't care about Football". I can understand you wanting more of this feature though, it's a good use of cards and it'd be nice for it to be applied to more, less popular sports.

I was obviously joking about the popularity of Soccer. And yes, F1 results and stats would be really great, but knowing Google it's probably going to take another 2-3 years. Not that Microsoft is any better about it. They'll probably take another 1-2 years to copy and implement it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I would imagine they'd have to pay for the F1 data. it would be a good get though.

during the world cup I found myself just typing in the name of the team and looking at the results on the search page instead of clicking anything.

Zeppu

Meh, they're just being lazy.

FJyWXU0.png
24u46lJ.png

The data is there, they just have to show it as cards in Google Now. And F1 is like the easiest sport to cater for. They don't need to have live updates or anything, just race calendar, qualifying positions, finishing positions. They maybe a constructors/drivers championship card if you expand a card or something.

Meh, they're just being lazy.

The data is there, they just have to show it as cards in Google Now. And F1 is like the easiest sport to cater for. They don't need to have live updates or anything, just race calendar, qualifying positions, finishing positions. They maybe a constructors/drivers championship card if you expand a card or something.

I didn't know that you could do that, which is cool and even more frustrating at the same time. Imagine a card popping up right after the Free Practice sessions, with all the times and results. Goddamnit Google.

Google Now is brilliant overall, but I do get annoyed when I get cards for stuff I'm just randomly searching for and have no real interest in.

It's particularly annoying when you do a single search for a sports team and they automatically get added to your list of teams. Just because I did a quick search of the K.C. Royals right before the Indians play them doesn't mean I'm a Royals fan.

Pachimari

LG G3 really is draining its battery fast. I almost wanna say the iPhone 5 one lasts a bit longer.

I only use my phone for RRS feeds and Internet. No streaming of music or movies.

What brightness do you guys have it on? I use to have it at 80% but is trying out 60% now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LG G3 really is draining its battery fast. I almost wanna say the iPhone 5 one lasts a bit longer.

I only use my phone for RRS feeds and Internet. No streaming of music or movies.

What brightness do you guys have it on? I use to have it at 80% but is trying out 60% now.

80% is rather high for normal usage, but this isn't surprising. G3 reviews said it has a problem getting bright enough for certain use cases like outside. This would mean in general use screen brightness needs to be cranked up slightly more than other phones to get the same results.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Go to your data usage in settings, select that app from the list, then disable background data. That will make it only able to use data if you are in the app.

Still needs to work in the background as it is a streaming radio app :p

Actually it's for the wife so I could make her keep it in the foreground I guess..

Pachimari

80% is rather high for normal usage, but this isn't surprising. G3 reviews said it has a problem getting bright enough for certain use cases like outside. This would mean in general use screen brightness needs to be cranked up slightly more than other phones to get the same results.
Exactly. I can't go below 80% outside.:(

The battery drains so fast. I really need an extra battery. Where can I get an official one for the G3?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know that you could do that, which is cool and even more frustrating at the same time. Imagine a card popping up right after the Free Practice sessions, with all the times and results. Goddamnit Google.

this is the sort of cool shit people would do if there was an API

Google used to be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom