• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc213

So after a week of use, Averaging 5hrs+ on screen time with around 25-30% juice left in the battery before i charge. OnePlus One totally delivers.

Kanhir

Google Now is awesome but a little bit creepy. I got my flight details by email, and on the day of the flight Google Now popped up cards reminding me of the flight time, check-in, delays, currency exchange, places to see at the destination, etc.

At least I get to get my own back when I yell at it for directing me to random places in my city. Where does it even get those locations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Now is awesome but a little bit creepy. I got my flight details by email, and on the day of the flight Google Now popped up cards reminding me of the flight time, check-in, delays, currency exchange, places to see at the destination, etc.

At least I get to get my own back when I yell at it for directing me to random places in my city. Where does it even get those locations?
Help me understand how that's at all creepy. That's just basic info on the city to which you're traveling. You're talking like Google is giving you a history of your friends who have been there and at which times and what they bought. Creepy is thrown around way too much.

Groof

Help me understand how that's at all creepy. That's just basic info on the city to which you're traveling. You're talking like Google is giving you a history of your friends who have been there and at which times and what they bought. Creepy is thrown around way too much.
Seriously. This is some of the most helpful use of already available information I can think of. It's amazing.

Pachimari

I can't help but feel that the battery "sucks" in LG G3. Or rather, the phone is draining it big time.

At least I have found official extra batteries on Amazon.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can't help but feel that the battery "sucks" in LG G3. Or rather, the phone is draining it big time.

At least I have found official extra batteries on Amazon.

Disable a lot of the bloatware it came with.

Download BetterBatteryStats and check for wakelocks.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I'll just go ahead.

My Galaxy Nexus is slowly dying and I can get a pretty good deal on an S5 for about the next week, just wondering if taking the plunge on the S5 is definitely worth it? No other phone is significantly better? Anything coming out in the next 3 to 4 months that would be better to wait for?

Thanks for any help guys, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

My Galaxy Nexus is slowly dying and I can get a pretty good deal on an S5 for about the next week, just wondering if taking the plunge on the S5 is definitely worth it? No other phone is significantly better? Anything coming out in the next 3 to 4 months that would be better to wait for?

Wait.

Hasney

After battling through my S4s many faults and many battles with customer service who would never replace it under warranty because the logo was scratched, even though it was the very common USB port fault, I'd say Samsung is never worth it.

Pachimari

It turned out the battery I have found on Amazon isn't OEM but only really looks like it.

Is there an app or tweak on the Play Store that can let me use a Dual Shock, Xbox or Wii controller for my phone?

BiggNife

Definitely something wrong. Mine lasts as good as my G2 if not just slightly less. There has to be something going on.

Yeah, I don't really get the G3 battery complaints. I've had mine for a week now and it easily lasts the entire day with regular use. Last saturday I was in NYC so I used a lot of 4G and GPS and it still wasn't dead by the time I got home.

Maybe I'm a little biased, because my old phone was a Galaxy S3 and the battery life sucked with the standard battery. I had to buy a 4,000mAh battery that was enough for it to last the whole day but also made my phone as thick as a brick.

I do find it kind of weird that battery reports for the G3 seem to be all over the place. I've read a lot of reviews and I've seen opinions range from "it's surprisingly good" to "it's acceptable" to "it's kinda bad."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It turned out the battery I have found on Amazon isn't OEM but only really looks like it.

Is there an app or tweak on the Play Store that can let me use a Dual Shock, Xbox or Wii controller for my phone?

Most phones can natively use Xbox and Dual shocks using USB OTG cables. Dual shock requires root to use wirelessly, Xbox can't be used wirelessly, and I think Wii compatibility broke in Jelly Bean.

Pachimari

Most phones can natively use Xbox and Dual shocks using USB OTG cables. Dual shock requires root to use wirelessly, Xbox can't be used wirelessly, and I think Wii compatibility broke in Jelly Bean.
I guess my answer is Dual Shock then. I want it to be wireless.

What can I turn off to improve the battery? I turned off all vibrations if that's anything.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess my answer is Dual Shock then. I want it to be wireless.

What can I turn off to improve the battery? I turned off all vibrations if that's anything.

Screen is always the biggest drain, so lower the brightness the longer it will last.

Wakelocks are the second big drain. Download Wakelock Detector or BetterBatteryStats (you can get the apk for this one free on XDA). Crappy apps can cause these wakelocks.

Battery managers are shit and hurt battery life, but Greenify is somehow different. Download that and Greenify apps like Facebook that likely run more than they have any business running.

Pachimari

Screen is always the biggest drain, so lower the brightness the longer it will last.

Wakelocks are the second big drain. Download Wakelock Detector or BetterBatteryStats (you can get the apk for this one free on XDA). Crappy apps can cause these wakelocks.

Battery managers are shit and hurt battery life, but Greenify is somehow different. Download that and Greenify apps like Facebook that likely run more than they have any business running.
I can't turn the brightness down below 80% on the LG G3 outdoor unfortunately. I'm gonna check out Greenify. Thanks.

Thank you. But I gotta root my phone?

Kitkat SD card restrictions are annoying. Having to download Itunes to change the tags and album covers on my music.

Isn't that Snapdragon battery Guru app supposed to be good? I tried it once and I didn't really feel much of an improvement.

Pachimari

Kitkat SD card restrictions are annoying. Having to download Itunes to change the tags and album covers on my music.

Isn't that Snapdragon battery Guru app supposed to be good? I tried it once and I didn't really feel much of an improvement.
I have heard this before. What are the restrictions to the SD cards?

It'll be really helpful to know before I go spend big on a 128GB card that I'll primarily use for storing movies, games and photos.:)
yes. as Yaboosh mentioned in his reply, you need root to use the controller via BT.

well, a few Sony devices have native BT support built in...
Ah alright.

I'm not gonna root when I just bricked my iPhone 5 by jailbreaking.:)

NotBacon

People still seriously consider Samesung these days?

Moto X+1 is coming out next month.

It takes like a week to learn your usage I think

Luckily the barrier is much smaller in Android and it's much less likely to screw up your phone than jailbreaking. But still, I haven't rooted a phone in years because it's just not needed on modern phones...

I have heard this before. What are the restrictions to the SD cards?

It'll be really helpful to know before I go spend big on a 128GB card that I'll primarily use for storing movies, games and photos.:)

Ah alright.

You can't edit. SD Card is basically read only at this point. To edit anything you have to move it out onto the internal storage or onto a hard drive that can edit. It's annoying as shit.

Pachimari

80% brightness? Seems really high for most situations
Outdoor use. I turn it to 0% when in bed.

People still seriously consider Samesung these days?

Moto X+1 is coming out next month.

It takes like a week to learn your usage I think

Luckily the barrier is much smaller in Android and it's much less likely to screw up your phone than jailbreaking. But still, I haven't rooted a phone in years because it's just not needed on modern phones...
When I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks back in the days, someone else rooted it for me and it seemed super complicated.:/

How did that happen? :)
Had it jailbroken and did the "reset all settings and data" which sent it into a freeze and thereafter a infinite loop of crashes and restarts. The repair shop couldn't fix it either but suggested I go get it exchanged for a new one at the carrier I bought it at on Monday. I need it for my Monster Hunter and FF Tactics fix hehe.
You can't edit. SD Card is basically read only at this point. To edit anything you have to move it out onto the internal storage or onto a hard drive that can edit. It's annoying as shit.
So I'll be fine if I just want to watch movies, photos and comics from the SD card?

I have also downloaded Greenify but I'm not sure I understand it. I have greenified Facebook - does that mean it is hibernating and not in use while it makes its widgets stop running? What if I enter that app, will it go back to normal and I will have to hibernate it again manually after use?

Pachimari

Fine with just watching/listening/reading. Don't think you can even move the big games files to it anymore though...
Ugh. I shouldn't have bought the 16GB version then. Because I planned on having lots of big games installed on it. :(

Maybe I can get it exchanged, as the retail worker told me there would be no limits on SD card usage.

Toki767

Ugh. I shouldn't have bought the 16GB version then. Because I planned on having lots of big games installed on it. :(

Maybe I can get it exchanged, as the retail worker told me there would be no limits on SD card usage.

Oh you have that 2GB model...I wonder if that's the cause for all your problems.

Pachimari

Alright I'm going back to the store to get my money back. They clearly told me I could store ANYTHING with no limits on the SD card. the seller even had a 16GB LG G3 himself.

I want the 32GB now.

Crisco

Banned
Rumor: Motorola Is Working With Google On Shamu, A Possible Nexus Phone With A 5.9" Display

Woowoo!

Why not, following a similar form factor to the G3, with the super slim bezel and tapered back, you could probably making a phone up to 6" that's still comfortable to hold. The G3 totally changed my opinion on super sized phones, which I used to think were dumb and excessively large.

Cipherr

I ain't buying a 6" phone brehs. To much for me. My limit is right around 5.4 maybe 5.5. But Im not going 5.9 or 6", no way in hell. Not even for a Nexus.

Hasney

Hopefully 16GB models of all phones die soon. Internal flash prices are getting cheap anyway, but the phone companies love the difference to drive up their profit margins.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any major differences between 4.3 and 4.4? Just noticed that my wife's xperia M2 is running 4.3 and not sure if/when it'll be updated

Pachimari

I need all the local storage I can get. Going with a 128gb SD card, so is really disappointed by this KitKat limit.

But very impressed with the LG G3. I totally love it.

The design, camera and keyboard are the best parts.

Did anyone notice any differences in performance and battery life after yesterday's update?

I'm also backuping my photos to my DropBox - anyone using Box or Drive?

NotBacon

Security. How does it work?

When I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks back in the days, someone else rooted it for me and it seemed super complicated.:/

These days it's usually as simple as a few clicks. But IMO it still shouldn't be necessary...

Alright I'm going back to the store to get my money back. They clearly told me I could store ANYTHING with no limits on the SD card. the seller even had a 16GB LG G3 himself.

I want the 32GB now.

In his defense he's probably just not update on the latest changes to the Android security model.

What is the easiest way to tell the last time your phone rebooted? An app that keeps track or something?

adb shell in and 'uptime'

Pachimari

Security. How does it work?

These days it's usually as simple as a few clicks. But IMO it still shouldn't be necessary...

In his defense he's probably just not update on the latest changes to the Android security model.

adb shell in and 'uptime'
Yeah but the customer is always right, at least here in Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom