• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here's the best tip available for you new Android users: stop looking for ways to fuck around with the phone and just use it for a few weeks first.

Pachimari

The battery is actually alright right now. I left 3 hours ago and is on 33% at the moment.

I just need 32GB for the Final Fantasies, FIFAs, Football Manager, Modern Combat etc.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
People still seriously consider Samesung these days?
Not everyone has access to all models at any time. As an example, my carrier has the S5 and Z2 as the only top tier Android phones, and I ended up going with the S5 because it was quite cheaper than the Z2 and came with a Gear Fit to boot. Unlocked phones were all notably more expensive than what I paid as well (the Nexus 5 and Moto X go for USD600+)

NotBacon

Here's the best tip available for you new Android users: stop looking for ways to fuck around with the phone and just use it for a few weeks first.

This

the apps still get read access. how is that secure?

notsureifserious.jpg

Clearly Microsoft need to patch write access to external storage out of Windows 7 and 8...

The key is to fight malware, not to restrict options in the name of security.

Por que no los dos? Oh and windows isn't the best example for a security model...

That depends if you're a hipster or not.

Oh I am

Eanan

Any battery issues? Root phone, get xposed module, install greenify. Should be sorted once you setup the app correctly.

Pachimari

Any battery issues? Root phone, get xposed module, install greenify. Should be sorted once you setup the app correctly.
I installed it from the Google Play store?

But which apps am I supposed to greenify?

If I do it to Facebook, does it mean it won't be active in the background?

Eanan

Yeah play store is fine, its not an apk app.

Greenify apps that you dont need to be running in the background all the time, or did not know were running so much.

Yeah, facebook wont run in background, but I think you can do some special things with it about that if you get xposed module and the greenify donation (premium) app.

also just saw this

gtcriUV.png

wat in the

Who actually spends this amount on an invite? Cant be legit

linkboy

If you greenify Facebook, you won't receive any notifications until you open the app. I use it because Facebook wreaks havoc on my battery. I actually prefer it that way, since I'm not getting blasted with notifications from facebook all the damn time.

You can run greenify without xposed if you don't want to install it (especially since xposed don't work with ART), but I highly recommend running it with root access so it can automatically suspend apps. Using it with Xposed allows you to greenify system apps and a few other things.

I don't have xposed installed on my phone since I run with Art and I just have greenify set to run with root access.

Is there a way to get google music streaming to work with airplay? My buddy has one of those Bose airplay speakers, and I can only find apps that seem to just stream the music that's on my phone.

wilflare

posted this a few times now
my WhatsApp images are corrupted
- some of them are replaced by other photos (so a certain set of images will repeat itself ><)

how do I fix this... or am I done for?

Jake.

the battery on my s4 mini sucks so bad, is it worth buying an after-market battery (not made by samsung) with a larger capacity at the cost of significantly increasing the physical size of the phone itself?

Loxley

the battery on my s4 mini sucks so bad, is it worth buying an after-market battery (not made by samsung) with a larger capacity at the cost of significantly increasing the physical size of the phone itself?

I did this for my GS3 almost a year ago and have never regretted it. I bought an Anker 4400mAH battery for it and while it did double the thickness of the phone, it also doubled the battery life (it also charges a helluva lot faster).

Speaking of my GS3, it still works like a charm two years after I first got it. I think I may be one of the lone fans of Samsung left on GAF. I'm highly considering getting the GS5 when I upgrade later in the year, but if Google does indeed announce a new Nexus in October/November - chances are I may end up going that route instead, just for something different.

I think it would be cool if they refreshed the nexus 4 to a z1 compact size device, kept the nexus 5 the same and just uprgraded the internals, then introduced a phablet style 6 inch phone nexus phone this fall.

Jigolo

if that rumor is true then X+1 is going to be the obvious choice for me. Either way by October we'll know all because I'm sure the next Nexus will leak by then.

L034

google help said:
You can use “Ok Google” on any screen if you’re an English speaker in the United States.

Your device must have:

Google Search app version 3.5+
Android 4.3+ (KitKat)
Audio History setting turned on
googy pls :(

Is Audio History United States only too?

Jake.

I did this for my GS3 almost a year ago and have never regretted it. I bought an Anker 4400mAH battery for it and while it did double the thickness of the phone, it also doubled the battery life (it also charges a helluva lot faster).

cheers, i might just get one especially since i have at least a year left on my contract

Pachimari

Is it unhealthy if a phone stays on for 6 hours?

I charged my LG G3 last night and kept the screen on while it was downloading. I feel asleep, so it was on all night with a charger in it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OnePlus wants to launch in India which is stupid considering they can't even fill current demand without the invite system.

Not sure if this is the place to do this but my contract is up tomorrow on Sprint at work. Thank goodness we can switch to Verizon or AT&T because Sprint's network is an embarrassment.

Anyway, my company requires the phone to be $49 or less so I'm looking at the following phones. I'm the opposite of most I'm sure in this thread in that I generally don't like stock Android and actuall *gasp* like HTC Sense and I've never owned a Touchwiz phone but the Note is still quite attractive to me since I use my phone mostly for functions in the car and web browsing.

Droid Maxx - Verizon
LG G2 - Verizon or AT&T
HTC One (M7) - Verizon
Note 3 - AT&T (Refurbished, this one is easily the front-runner for me but I don't know yet if we're allowed to get refurbished)

Vanillalite

Not sure if this is the place to do this but my contract is up tomorrow on Sprint at work. Thank goodness we can switch to Verizon or AT&T because Sprint's network is an embarrassment.

Anyway, my company requires the phone to be $49 or less so I'm looking at the following phones. I'm the opposite of most I'm sure in this thread in that I generally don't like stock Android and actuall *gasp* like HTC Sense and I've never owned a Touchwiz phone but the Note is still quite attractive to me since I use my phone mostly for functions in the car and web browsing.

Droid Maxx - Verizon
LG G2 - Verizon or AT&T
HTC One (M7) - Verizon
Note 3 - AT&T (Refurbished, this one is easily the front-runner for me but I don't know yet if we're allowed to get refurbished)

G2

Far and away the best device on that list.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just noticed the new Chrome mobile tab icon is the same as the Android L multitask icon. Interesting. I thought the L on screen keys were place holders? Doesn't seem like it now. Something interesting will happen.

Latest Nexus phone rumors from Android Police.

Nexus 6 from Motorola
Targeted for November
Codename "Shamu"
5.9" screen
Still in testing
Not a definitive release

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...mu-a-possible-nexus-phone-with-a-5-9-display/
Not happening.

Vanillalite

For all the talk of the Nexus program not being dead we haven't heard shit in terms of a legit rumor in ages. No new tablet and no real N5 successor rumors. I know Google said they didn't kill the program, but well we really don't have anything new. Is there really a difference??

Bboy AJ

For all the talk of the Nexus program not being dead we haven't heard shit in terms of a legit rumor in ages. No new tablet and no real N5 successor rumors. I know Google said they didn't kill the program, but well we really don't have anything new. Is there really a difference??
Rumors started last year with that promo video, no? Meh. N5 is still legit.

kehs

Banned
Lumia 1520 competitor. Don't see the problem, honestly.

This is google responding reactively to a market area they've been neglecting for years now. Sundar's been wasting his time trying to shoe horn android apps into chrome instead of making sure android evolves properly.

Pachimari

Buhu, I couldn't get a refund or exchange my 16GB LG G3.

I just hope I can transfer most games and apps to a SD card.

Maybe Google will open up the restrictions someday?

CronoShot

Buhu, I couldn't get a refund or exchange my 16GB LG G3.

I just hope I can transfer most games and apps to a SD card.

Maybe Google will open up the restrictions someday?

It's mostly restricted to small games and small parts of big games. Even then, the developer has to enable it, and most don't bother.

You would have to root it to be able to transfer anything you want. SD cards for Android post KitKat are for media, not apps and games.

Lumia 1520 competitor. Don't see the problem, honestly.

This is google responding reactively to a market area they've been neglecting for years now. Sundar's been wasting his time trying to shoe horn android apps into chrome instead of making sure android evolves properly.

Google is large enough to focus on more then one thing...Android is evolving just fine, were you paying attention to I/O at all? Adding android apps to chromebook is a huge boon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom