• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google is large enough to focus on more then one thing...Android is evolving just fine, were you paying attention to I/O at all? Adding android apps to chromebook is a huge boon.

who-are-you.gif

linkboy

For all the talk of the Nexus program not being dead we haven't heard shit in terms of a legit rumor in ages. No new tablet and no real N5 successor rumors. I know Google said they didn't kill the program, but well we really don't have anything new. Is there really a difference??

Wasn't the rumored HTC 8" tablet thought to be a Nexus device?

Toppot

Android GAF, I ask for your advice.

I am getting a cheap 8 inch Lenovo tablet shortly, I have used android for a couple of years on my phone fine. I was wondering if there is anything that different about android on a tablet? Also, is there any recommend apps to use on a tablet? Like any that are very useful or make good use of the screen size?

Thanks =]

kehs

Banned
Google is large enough to focus on more then one thing...Android is evolving just fine, were you paying attention to I/O at all? Adding android apps to chromebook is a huge boon.

I fell asleep during I/O coding demos.

Google is starting to spin too many plates, they're starting to look like MS, and MS is starting to look like the once eager and driven google of the good old days.

Everything they talked about android is what they've been talking about android for the past three years. They're refining instead of taking risks, instead of moving forward.

Hasney

>5.9" screen

pls stop this trend, phones will eventually have 7 inch screens with minimal bezels. Its ludicrous.

They'll stop the trend when bugger phones stop selling I'm sure. I honestly wouldn't mind another inch compared to this phone.

linkboy

I think that bigger phones are a side effect of people wanting their phones to do more and have the battery last longer.

Personally, the One+One would be the biggest I'd be willing to go, I'm currently happy with my Nexus 4 (although a Nexus 5 wouldn't be a bad upgrade).

Hasney

Pretty much. Innovation isn't as fast as the yearly phone refresh cycle. When you got CPU, screen, RAM, heat and battery life to figure out to make it better than last years flagship, bigger is the only way to incorporate that.

Donos

The size of the One M8 i have, is my max. Tried a Note 3 and while it's nice, it's nothing for my pockets and that's where my smartphone has to be.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
More info on the Motorola Phablet which will be launched under the Nexus brand.

Also rumours that Android Silver is to be scrapped and Nexus line to be resurrected.

Android Police

linkboy

Also rumours that Android Silver is to be scrapped and Nexus line to be resurrected.

Android Police

Sounds good to me, I'll probably be upgrading my Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5 since I have no issues about being a year behind with my phone.

Hopefully the 5 gets a sale like the 4 did.

Pachimari

It's mostly restricted to small games and small parts of big games. Even then, the developer has to enable it, and most don't bother.

You would have to root it to be able to transfer anything you want. SD cards for Android post KitKat are for media, not apps and games.
I know this.

But is it easy to root?

And any recent articles describing how to do? I'm just afraid cause I just bricked my iPhone 5.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Google is starting to spin too many plates, they're starting to look like MS, and MS is starting to look like the once eager and driven google of the good old days.

Everything they talked about android is what they've been talking about android for the past three years. They're refining instead of taking risks, instead of moving forward.

Android Police

Kopy sort of vindicated with that news. Sounds like a cluster fuck. Seems like Googy wanted to go the Silver route, but that didn't pan out like they wanted and they weren't fully ready to pick up the slack with the Nexus line.

Probably figured they could do the Nexus stuff on their own timeline with Silver filling the gap, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

Not surprising either as it's basically August and we have heard zero on the Android Silver front. Also makes sense on what I posted earlier about the Nexus line being super quiet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sooooooo, say I wanted to try out this whole rooting your phone thing, where would one look for good info on doing such a thing?

What benefits are there from rooting? Not tried it, and on my nexus 4 I can replace my launcher, run custom widgets with zooper, use tasker to automate a ton of stuff... What else is there?

What benefits are there from rooting? Not tried it, and on my nexus 4 I can replace my launcher, run custom widgets with zooper, use tasker to automate a ton of stuff... What else is there?

I dunno! Im kinda curious about this too.

Most of what Ive gathered is just that you can customize every little thing. Which sounds rad to me!

linkboy

I've got my Nexus 4 rooted mostly for Greenify (that stupid Facebook app loves to kill my battery).

I also used Xposed for a while, but I've currently got my phone running with ART, so Xposed is a no go.

I run these apps with Root access

Helium: Prefer it to backup over Titanium backup
Greenify: For reasons already mentioned
Cerberus: In case I lose my phone
Appfreezer: To free apps since I don't use Titanium
Busybox
SoftkeyZ: Have the Android L keys
TWRP Manager: For my custom recovery
SD Maid: To clean my SD partition

I also have Carbon rom installed on my phone instead of stock android.

There's still some minor things that Google doesn't add (reboot options for example) that you can add via root. I also just prefer to have full control over MY phone.

NotBacon

I dunno! Im kinda curious about this too.

Most of what Ive gathered is just that you can customize every little thing. Which sounds rad to me!

Just some power user functions like full image backups, app freezing, restricted things, etc. But things get hacky pretty quickly, and I've been content without rooting for about a year now.

If you really want to get into it, just go into the XDA forums, find your SPECIFIC device, find the inevitable rooting thread. If your device is uber popular or lucky, there will be a 1 or 2 click root solution. If not, you might have to enter a few commands or something but it shouldn't be too bad.

This will do just about everything you need to root a Nexus phone\tablet

It honestly will do everything you need to do (short of installing a custom rom). It's saved my butt a few times when I erased my entire phone and wiped out my internal storage (the simulated SD card) leaving me with a soft brick (had to flash the 4.4.4 image from google to fix it).

Just some power user functions like full image backups, app freezing, restricted things, etc. But things get hacky pretty quickly, and I've been content without rooting for about a year now.

If you really want to get into it, just go into the XDA forums, find your SPECIFIC device, find the inevitable rooting thread. If your device is uber popular or lucky, there will be a 1 or 2 click root solution. If not, you might have to enter a few commands or something but it shouldn't be too bad.

Cool.

Yeah, Im just curious to see what sort of stuff I can do!

Rnr1224

Cool.

Yeah, Im just curious to see what sort of stuff I can do!

I love putting new ROMs on my phone every once and a while. You can make it so that your phone is as close to stock as possible or use a specialized ROM that includes some neat features that save you time. Its also nice being able to have the latest version before it is officially released for your device. And in the case of a kindle, rooting gives it much more functionality with full android.

Its a developers conference, the conferences are not for the general public. If you aren't a developer why would you want to watch coding demos in the first place? Are you honestly saying that Android L is not a large step forward for Android? Completely redesigned interface, improved notification system, 64bit, an entirely new runtime, new multitasking system, a new camera api, knox being integrated into the AOSP, etc,etc, etc. Wtf are you talking about?

Jigolo

Nobody wants the Nexus 5.1 (Moto X+1)?

Yeah I think the phablet device is just one of the devices Google will have this fall. I have a feeling Moto is making the phone as well.

3 Devices this fall:
Nexus 5 phone (2014) - Made by Moto
Nexus 6 phablet - Made by Moto
Nexus 8 tablet - Made by HTC

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Its a developers conference, the conferences are not for the general public. If you aren't a developer why would you want to watch coding demos in the first place?
Lol sure. That's why Google live streams it and invites press. And adds sales figures and sales strategies during the keynote. And why Wall street reacts to the keynote. And why consumer hardware is announced during the keynote.

No, it's just for the code monkeys. That's why the IO discussions online are immensely popular. Full of developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom