• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lol sure. That's why Google live streams it and invites press. And adds sales figures and sales strategies during the keynote. And why Wall street reacts to the keynote. And why consumer hardware is announced during the keynote.

No, it's just for the code monkeys. That's why the IO discussions online are immensely popular. Full of developers.

Welcome to another episode of Real Talk with #AJMaher

Quasar

Lol sure. That's why Google live streams it and invites press. And adds sales figures and sales strategies during the keynote. And why Wall street reacts to the keynote. And why consumer hardware is announced during the keynote.

No, it's just for the code monkeys. That's why the IO discussions online are immensely popular. Full of developers.

Well I think those things are there to make devs feel good about the platform they are going to support as much as those things there for the press. And thats why despite seeing that in the keynote its still pretty dev focused compared to things like Apple keynotes.

And really all the non keynote sessions that are also streamed aren't there for press, or at least not the general press. Its for devs, wannabe devs, and some techie press.

NotBacon

Yeah I think the phablet device is just one of the devices Google will have this fall. I have a feeling Moto is making the phone as well.

3 Devices this fall:
Nexus 5 phone (2014) - Made by Moto
Nexus 6 phablet - Made by Moto
Nexus 8 tablet - Made by HTC

I was talking about the X+1. I doubt they're actually making a Nexus besides Shamu (if it's real).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You can make everything an argument as to why devs should feel good, though. Apple cures cancer, more people alive to use iOS devices. Matias seen eating pretzel, health apps incoming?

Developer focused is one thing. Not for the general public. is another. That's disingenuous. Especially the keynote. That's definitely for the general public.

You can make everything an argument as to why devs should feel good, though. Apple cures cancer, more people alive to use iOS devices. Matias seen eating pretzel, health apps incoming?

Developer focused is one thing. Not for the general public. is another. That's disingenuous. Especially the keynote. That's definitely for the general public.

the keynote where they spent THIRTY MINUTES demoing their cloud service including their APIs and cloud debugging?

Cipherr

Another discussion about I/O's direction and primary intended audience?

gx7F8sz.gif

mturco

I do think Google intends for the primary audience to be developers. The entire event (including most of the keynote) is specifically aimed at developers. They stream it so that developers not at the event can also benefit from it but obviously they expect enthusiasts to watch it too. Think about it, though: they didn't release or even announce any new products for the general public. They merely gave our Android Wear watches to developers so they could begin developing for the platform. There was no significant information revealed whatsoever that a general consumer would care to know.

The L preview is a developer preview and not intended to be a public beta either. It's just that unlike Apple and Microsoft, Google doesn't bother to prevent the general public from installing their developer betas.

On top of all of this is the fact that every time in the keynote a presenter said "you", he or she was referring to developers. Every slide in their presentation, including the introduction to Material Design, was aimed at developers.

kehs

Banned
Its a developers conference, the conferences are not for the general public. If you aren't a developer why would you want to watch coding demos in the first place? Are you honestly saying that Android L is not a large step forward for Android? Completely redesigned interface, improved notification system, 64bit, an entirely new runtime, new multitasking system, a new camera api, knox being integrated into the AOSP, etc,etc, etc. Wtf are you talking about?

We're still pretending keynotes are meant to be in depth? There was no need for them to have that haphazardly put together hackathon disaster that exploded on stage during the keynote.

I'm not a developer, and I actually did watch someone of the sessions where they had actual coding session, which were much more interesting and entertaining than that spectacle people use as proof that it's "meant for developers".

As much hate as people throw at OEMS for skinning android, it's surprising to see people going gaga over Matias stealing LG's skin and throwing it up all over android. The additions to the notification system are pretty great, you know lockscreen notifications were great on iOS and WP for the past three years too.

I'm beginning to wonder is Duarte does anything other than push nodes around on Roboto. Material design is a google wide design initiative that Matias seems to have just piggy backed on.

Giving accolades to google for finally replacing that dalvik runtime? Android is so far behind on getting the OS to run at an acceptable level, that they're getting applause for that? They finally fixed the inception multitasking? Amazing.....why was it such shit in the first place?

Then we get to hardware integration.

Knox isn't being integrated into AOSP. :

HHXiP3o.png

Samsung remains in complete control of Samsung KNOX and we will work closely with Google to deliver a unified, secure implementation of Android to the enterprise.

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/androidworkwithknox

dat "open source". (bonus related link: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...-foss-android-can-a-smartphone-be-open-source)

Google is basically giving Samsung a handie with the "inclusion" of knox into AOSP.

Supporting upcoming chip architecture is a given, not some super risky move on google's part. Once more...it's just happening now? Same with the camera API. It's taken this long to give the OS direct access to the camera?

L release is like a point update at best. It's so slapped together they aren't even bothering with giving it a full codename.

Blackhead

Redarse
As much hate as people throw at OEMS for skinning android, it's surprising to see people going gaga over Matias stealing LG's skin and throwing it up all over android...

I'm beginning to wonder is Duarte does anything other than push nodes around on Roboto. Material design is a google wide design initiative that Matias seems to have just piggy backed on...

L release is like a point update at best. It's so slapped together they aren't even bothering with giving it a full codename.

EBhVfhq.jpg

longdi

Banned
I found that Wifi on is a BIG drain on battery life, thanks goodness my Z2 has the location based wifi feature (though it is slightly bugged, not working at times).

btw any of you know of the HTC One E8? It is selling here in the asian market, i was initially confused when i saw it, E8 wut?, but a quick search told me the specs are the same as M8, just HTC going back to the One X poly carbonate body.. and it is very affordable.

The black model as below looks and felt really nice, not cheap feeling imo. I wonder why HTC dont sell to the West?
e8-2_0.jpg

I found that Wifi on is a BIG drain on battery life, thanks goodness my Z2 has the location based wifi feature (though it is slightly bugged, not working at times).

btw any of you know of the HTC One E8? It is selling here in the asian market, i was initially confused when i saw it, E8 wut?, but a quick search told me the specs are the same as M8, just HTC going back to the One X poly carbonate body.. and it is very affordable.

The black model as below looks and felt really nice, not cheap feeling imo. I wonder why HTC dont sell to the West?
e8-2_0.jpg

The camera is supposed to be worse than the M8 if you can believe that.

Eanan

Is there anyway to cache tracks on google music in low quality like it does when streaming over data connection, but when using wifi does anyone know? When caching on wifi, it seems to allows cache in 320kps or near it which is a bit unnecessary I find.

maybe a way to fool the device into thinking its on 3G?

Rnr1224

For gods sake, I want a OnePlus One. Are there any information/guesses yet on when a normal mortal might just buy that thing?

Best way to get one now is to just get lucky with the invite contests they have. may seem like a long shot but they actually do give them out. cant hurt to try while you wait.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There is more to a camera than megapixels?

The m8 camera is garbage, and low light performance is overrated. I can't believe they put that camera on a flagship phone in 2014. I love just about everything else on the phone but I'm not going to sugarcoat just how bad the camera is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The E8 looks really good. Except the glossy finishes. Too bad about the camera though.

Depends on the model. Some of the models are glossy and some have a matte finish.

The m8 camera is garbage, and low light performance is overrated. I can't believe they put that camera on a flagship phone in 2014. I love just about everything else on the phone but I'm not going to sugarcoat just how bad the camera is.

While I don't think the M8 camera is great by any stretch, I find the idea of low light performance being overrated only because people are just use to shit low light performance from smartphones. Doesn't mean it doesn't matter. Good low light works wonders when I'm out with friends on the weekend which usually happens at night.

HKnightz

Would I see much difference going from a note 2 to a one plus one (if I can even get an invite)? Getting ready to leave Verizon after test driving tmobile and I'm considering g3 vs one plus one since I'm fairly used to 5.5in. Anyone have any experience?

Kamaji

It seems like the battery on my HTC One X has taken a serious dip recently, and I now struggle to keep it running a full day with medium/high usage.

Could installing a custom ROM (like Cyanogen instead of 4.2.2 with 5.0 Sense) increase battery life perhaps?

Benedict

So my Assus Nexus 7 (2012) has broken 4 times now within 1 1/2 years.
Goes into an endless loop.

Any ideas for a replacement without preinstalled bloatware??
iPad?

Groof

So my Assus Nexus 7 (2012) has broken 4 times now within 1 1/2 years.
Goes into an endless loop.

Any ideas for a replacement without preinstalled bloatware??
iPad?
Heh.

Other than that this is the most obvious troll post ever. Please try again.

Benedict

Heh.

Other than that this is the most obvious troll post ever. Please try again.

No troll post. I'm just bloody tired that this has happened to me, why won't you help me?

Not sure I trust Nexus enough to buy the latest 2013 release and not sure how much bloatware LG and Samsung has on their tablets, hence why i asked if Nexus and iPad are the only tablets without junk?

Groof

No troll post. I'm just bloody tired that this has happened to me, why won't you help me?

Not sure I trust Nexus enough to buy the latest 2013 release and not sure how much bloatware LG and Samsung has on their tablets, hence why i asked if Nexus and iPad are the only tablets without junk?
If you had actually mentioned the new nexus 7 it wouldn't have seemed so trolly.
The new one was basically improved in every way, but not entirely without faults. There's a sort of touch screen digitizer lottery going on with pretty bad touch screens. Not always noticeable unless you're doing precision work though.

But at this point I'd advise you to wait on both fronts, if you can. New devices are out soonish.

Benedict

If you had actually mentioned the new nexus 7 it wouldn't have seemed so trolly.
The new one was basically improved in every way, but not entirely without faults. There's a sort of touch screen digitizer lottery going on with pretty bad touch screens. Not always noticeable unless you're doing precision work though.

But at this point I'd advise you to wait on both fronts, if you can. New devices are out soonish.

Are we talking August, September or October?

Furyous

I need a new phone but can't commit to a flagship just yet due to 64 bit arriving next year. The OPO is a no brainer but I have small hands. Is there a video of the OPO used with small hands.

The leaked X2 looks hot.
The E8 looks good but Htc has issues supporting hardware.
The G3 is a good one or two years ahead of its time.
I'm meh on the S5.
The M8 looks great but not $600 GPE great.

I have to buy phones off contract because fuck American carriers and their financial statements.

Then there's the fact that I'm switching from an iphone 5. My range is 4 to 5.5 inches as a smartphone. I need an SD slot, great camera, above iphone battery, and reliable software support. I don't need the phone now but later.

Pachimari

Yup.

Chrome sucks on everything now.

I'd ask kinggroin to chime in but he's indisposed.
Hmm, which browser should I use then? Dolphin?

And is there anything which let's me have a clean lockscreen? I want a lockscreen where I can only see my choice of picture and maybe a small clock.

Hmm, which browser should I use then? Dolphin?

And is there anything which let's me have a clean lockscreen? I want a lockscreen where I can only see my choice of picture and maybe a small clock.

The G3 screen is pretty clean.

I use Opera. No problems with it outside if a crash once in a blue moon.

KKRT00

Guys, i'm looking for a newer smartphone [from 2013/2014] that has dimensions similar to Xperia U 112 x 54 x 12 mm
Any suggestions?

KKRT00

IPhone 5s.

Its expensive and not android. I really dont care about most apps or games on smartphones, or high end specs. I just need very small dimensions, higher version of android, decent battery and fast interface, rest is completely irrelevant to me, i dont even care about touch interface, but i dont have a choice here.

If i dont find anything, i'll probably just try to update xperia u that is laying around in my house for two years now ;p
Maybe in future, they will focus more on minimizing phones, instead of making them bigger and bigger every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom