• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Guys, i'm looking for a newer smartphone [from 2013/2014] that has dimensions similar to Xperia U 112 x 54 x 12 mm
Any suggestions?

Its expensive and not android. I really dont care about most apps or games on smartphones, or high end specs. I just need very small dimensions, higher version of android, decent battery and fast interface, rest is completely irrelevant to me, i dont even care about touch interface, but i dont have choice here.

gsmarena phone finder

Hasney

Its expensive and not android. I really dont care about most apps or games on smartphones, or high end specs. I just need very small dimensions, higher version of android, decent battery and fast interface, rest is completely irrelevant to me, i dont even care about touch interface, but i dont have a choice here.

If i dont find anything, i'll probably just try to update xperia u that is laying around in my house for two years now ;p
Maybe in future, they will focus more on minimizing phones, instead of making them bigger and bigger every year.

The Sony compact phones are your best choices, hopefully the Z3 compact actually comes out here for people like you.

The Samsung and HTC mini phones are shite. I doubt they'll try and minimise phones until the bigger ones stop selling. It's just a lot easier to get top of the line specs in a bigger package.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Its expensive and not android. I really dont care about most apps or games on smartphones, or high end specs. I just need very small dimensions, higher version of android, decent battery and fast interface, rest is completely irrelevant to me, i dont even care about touch interface, but i dont have a choice here.

If i dont find anything, i'll probably just try to update xperia u that is laying around in my house for two years now ;p
Maybe in future, they will focus more on minimizing phones, instead of making them bigger and bigger every year.

Why tho? Why do you need small dimensions when 4-5 inches is still insanely usable. I get not wanting a 5.5" behemoth, but you could easily use say a Moto G.

Pachimari

I were also totally against big phones and didn't get it. Especially not when holding the phones at the stores. I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks before selling it because it were too large.

Now I have had the LG G3 for some days and it's large no denying it but I actually quickly forgot how "small" the iPhone 5 was compared to this one.

KKRT00

Damn thanks, i went through search on the top of the site and havent found this tool.
This answers me completely :)

--edit--
heh, it seems that Xperia U is still the most high end from all phones from this search parameters ...
http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2013&nHeightMax=115&sOSes=2&idTouchscreen=1

---
Why tho? Why do you need small dimensions when 4-5 inches is still insanely usable. I get not wanting a 5.5" behemoth, but you could easily use say a Moto G.

Pockets, it just doesnt fit into pockets with wallet already inside and second pocket i use for documents.
I carry everything i need in pockets. Bigger phones just doesnt cut into this requirement, with other stuff i carry.
Moto G is slightly smaller than Samsung S3 that my mother has and that phone is way too big for me, i checked already :p

---
The Sony compact phones are your best choices, hopefully the Z3 compact actually comes out here for people like you.

The Samsung and HTC mini phones are shite. I doubt they'll try and minimise phones until the bigger ones stop selling. It's just a lot easier to get top of the line specs in a bigger package.

Yeah, i know that for example S3 mini is shit, because it was a phone my mother at first bought and i had to fight quite a lot to change it into full S3 in mobile company.
It had many problems with registering what You were typing on a panel, when full S3 did not have those at all.

Lumia 630

Blackhead

Redarse
Guys, i'm looking for a newer smartphone [from 2013/2014] that has dimensions similar to Xperia U 112 x 54 x 12 mm
Any suggestions?

Damn thanks, i went through search on the top of the site and havent found this tool.
This answers me completely :)

--edit--
heh, it seems that Xperia U is still the most high end from all phones from this search parameters ...
http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2013&nHeightMax=115&sOSes=2&idTouchscreen=1

The Xperia SX is better.

Pockets, it just doesnt fit into pockets with wallet already inside and second pocket i use for documents.
I carry everything i need in pockets. Bigger phones just doesnt cut into this requirement, with other stuff i carry.
Moto G is slightly smaller than Samsung S3 that my mother has and that phone is way too big for me, i checked already :p
Most pants have 4 pockets...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Anyone here use Paranoid Android?

When I try to use the OTA update, nothing actually happens. The version is still the old one and then I keep getting the notification to update.

kehs

Banned

You should get a pair of pants with more than two pockets.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I solved my problem lol.

By the way, I'm really enjoying the Nexus 5. Using my iPhone 5s after using the Nexus 5 for a few hours was pretty weird. The 5s is so small! I don't think I can ever go back.

Salsa

so this happened (top left)

p8SUUk3.jpg

what do

no water damage or anything I can think of

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Would I see much difference going from a note 2 to a one plus one (if I can even get an invite)? Getting ready to leave Verizon after test driving tmobile and I'm considering g3 vs one plus one since I'm fairly used to 5.5in. Anyone have any experience?

I currently have a Note 2 and have a 1+1 coming in the next day or two so I will be able to give you some impressions.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's what I've done manually, but it's supposed to do it on its own. In fact, using CWM to install the ZIP doesn't do anything unless I first mount the /system folder. Is that typical?

Never had to do that on any of my devices but that always varies.

KKRT00

Most pants have 4 pockets...
Good luck with putting wallet, documents, or phone in back pockets and do not destroy them after a while or make You really uncomfortable while sitting.
--
Lumia 630

Too big unfortunately, but thanks for a suggestion.
--
WTF documents do you carry that aren't in a briefcase/bag?
ID, driver licence, library cards, cards for different shops, business cards etc.
And nah, i dont carry bag or briefcase, if i did, i had no problem with bigger phone :)

Eanan

Z6oattgl.jpg

Have had it for a few hours now, really liking it. Just rooted it there now.

Screen is immense, and very light phone for the size. Feels well made and the texture on the back is nice. Will post more thoughts over next few days.

PriitV

Has anyone made the transition to opo from a nexus 4? Currently the n4 is perfect form factor for me but I'm really intrigued by the opo, looking at the comparison pictures I'm really afraid of the size of it, it looks huge compared to n4.

Eanan

Has anyone made the transition to opo from a nexus 4? Currently the n4 is perfect form factor for me but I'm really intrigued by the opo, looking at the comparison pictures I'm really afraid of the size of it, it looks huge compared to n4.
Yes, my last android was a nexus 4.

I am not finding it that much of a difference in size personally. Either I have massive hands or some people are over exaggerating about the size of the phone.

Pachimari

The calendar is super important to me but I got no widget using the Nova launcher.

What can I do to get a calendar widget on my home screen?

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Yes, my last android was a nexus 4.

I am not finding it that much of a difference in size personally. Either I have massive hands or some people are over exaggerating about the size of the phone.

I too made the switch from N4 to OPO without any real issue. Using the phone one handed can sometimes be a bit of a stretch, but in the main I'm loving it. The back feels almost fuzzy, which helps with grip.

Benedict

Oneplus looks very interesting, didn't even know it existed before this thread.
Are the impressions promising?

Might be interested in giving one for my wife.
Is there an invite group for NeoGAF?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The calendar is super important to me but I got no widget using the Nova launcher.

What can I do to get a calendar widget on my home screen?

you can still use normal widgets using nova launcher. just long press on a blank space on a home screen, or bring up the app list and hit the 'widgets' tab like normal

if you're feeling adventurous, try installing zooper widget pro and making your own - not that complicated

mrklaw

MrArseFace

lumia 530? 119mm x 62mm x 11.7mm (129g)

alternatively if you're set on Android, then the moto G (129mm x 65mm x 11.6mm) should be pretty close to what you want? or the Sony Xperia Z1 compact (127mm x 64.9mm x 9.5mm)

A little extra length and width won't kill you :)

Pachimari

you can still use normal widgets using nova launcher. just long press on a blank space on a home screen, or bring up the app list and hit the 'widgets' tab like normal

if you're feeling adventurous, try installing zooper widget pro and making your own - not that complicated
But the calendar widget is not there..

Pachimari

I should have Google's own installed already but that one isn't there either.

I'm gonna check the Play Store again.

EDIT
I found Google's own calendar now but it's not as good as LG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom