• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Droid Life

HTC Unveils Newest J Butterfly, a Waterproof One (M8) With a Real Camera

HTC-J-Butterfly.jpg

I wish they had released these instead of the m8 (but with the same casing as the m8). The only make beef I have with my phone is the camera.

Dropped a dumbbell on my Nexus 5 the other day. Don't know if I should get it repaired or use it as an excuse for a new phone.

I don't even know what the latest good phones are. Decisions.

So AndroidGAF, I'm due for an upgrade in September on AT&T and have been looking at the One M8, but am also wondering what you think about it compared to the G3, as well as other phones on the (very nearby, hopefully) horizon.

I really like the M8 for Sense 6 and the Dot View case, but I don't really want to miss out on a more up-to-date phone, even if it's only subtly better. I dunno, trying to weigh things out here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If its the same sensor as the E8 it's apparently still awful.

While it could be, I doubt it is.

I mean we already know it has the duo setup and dual flash not found in the E8.

I think if anything this could be a preview of next year's camera on their main phone.

Pachimari

I'm curious about others but here's my experience with the LG G3.

Apps that is not supported:
- Rayman: Jungle Run
- Rayman: Fiesta Run
- Assassin's Creed Pirates
- Playboard
- ESPN SportsCenter

Groof

Thanks. :)

Also having used my LG G3 for a few days I come to realize there's quite a few of apps not supported but the device. :(

How do I sideload?
1. Go to settings > security > check Unknown sources
2. Download the app's .apk to your device
3. Open the .apk and install

PS. Don't pirate.

Pachimari

Don't worry. I want my stuff original and payed for. But ESPN and Playboard are free.

But if one gets the apk, will it still update through Play Store?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I loved it until I realised you can't press send in whatsapp without closing the keyboard. That aside it's great.
There's an option in WhatsApp to allow you to use enter. I just changed it today.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All of you who have recommended Fleksy should be ashamed of yourselves. I thought you were all smarter than this.

NotBacon

Dropped a dumbbell on my Nexus 5 the other day. Don't know if I should get it repaired or use it as an excuse for a new phone.

I don't even know what the latest good phones are. Decisions.

So AndroidGAF, I'm due for an upgrade in September on AT&T and have been looking at the One M8, but am also wondering what you think about it compared to the G3, as well as other phones on the (very nearby, hopefully) horizon.

I really like the M8 for Sense 6 and the Dot View case, but I don't really want to miss out on a more up-to-date phone, even if it's only subtly better. I dunno, trying to weigh things out here.

Moto X2

Updated my Verizon Moto X to 4.4.4. Feels good.

Do you notice a difference in the camera? Do you notice any other differences?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If it's from a reputable source and the actual app then yes, it will.

Not if the phone isn't supported by the app in the first place, or...? Not actually sure, but it would make sense that an app that can't be downloaded can't be updated either. Or maybe it can, once it's already been installed...?

Finally took the time to root my Note 3 and slap CyanogenMod on it. Hella snappy.

That's a must if you're using a Samsung device. Can't believe some people actually prefer TouchWiz to vanilla (or vanilla with additional features, like CM) Android. I guess TW has some nifty features vanilla doesn't, but the bad far outweighs the good IMO.

reKon

Banned
It's went from mediocre to decent over several updates in the past, so I'm just wondering if it got even better now like the patch notes say.

I'm interested in the X+1 too, but you need to chill out with talking about it 24/7. This is almost as bad as Pctx. We should probably wait a little for the leaks of the final version and specs.

Fatalah

Do you notice a difference in the camera? Do you notice any other differences?

Still testing out the camera. (I can confirm it's improved a great deal since launch)

Battery life is better. 4.4.2 introduced an annoying drain.

UI feels even more buttery and quick.

4G and 3G radio seems even stronger.

NotBacon

I'm interested in the X+1 too, but you need to chill out with talking about it 24/7. This is almost as bad as Pctx. We should probably wait a little for the leaks of the final version and specs.

No one is talking about the X+1, but now that we are.... does anyone know when in august Moto is planning to announce?

Still testing out the camera. (I can confirm it's improved a great deal since launch)

Battery life is better. 4.4.2 introduced an annoying drain.

UI feels even more buttery and quick.

4G and 3G radio seems even stronger.

Nice, I'll need to tell my mom to update soon, she's pretty bad about that haha

When did mediocre become a synonym of terrible?

I've always used them interchangeably...

I just found this thread and wanted to pop in and say hello. Been a long time iOS user since the iPhone 3g days, and finally decided to give Android a shot when I got the chance to buy a OnePlus One. Had it for a few weeks and love it. I really like the customization options, especially with Cyanogen mod installed out of the box.

Fatalah

I just found this thread and wanted to pop in and say hello. Been a long time iOS user since the iPhone 3g days, and finally decided to give Android a shot when I got the chance to buy a OnePlus One. Had it for a few weeks and love it. I really like the customization options, especially with Cyanogen mod installed out of the box.

Welcome aboard!

lZvXFhO.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So here is a dumb question.

I have always had phones with a miscrosd slot, so as a result I always backed my apps up using Titanium to the microsd card and never worried about wiping data before installing a new rom.

I have a OPO now, which doesn't have a microsd slot. So when I wipe data, will it wipe my backups if they are just sitting in a folder under /sdcard? Do I need to store my Titanium files off phone?

Veezy

que?
That's a must if you're using a Samsung device. Can't believe some people actually prefer TouchWiz to vanilla (or vanilla with additional features, like CM) Android. I guess TW has some nifty features vanilla doesn't, but the bad far outweighs the good IMO.

I really had no idea how bad off the phone was with all the bloat ware on it. The Samsung apps, the T-Mobile crab, TouchWiz.

Now everything is super slick.

Although, besides flashing the new rom I really don't know where to go next with customizing the phone. Is Cyan pretty much the top end for Android mods?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I really had no idea how bad off the phone was with all the bloat ware on it. The Samsung apps, the T-Mobile crab, TouchWiz.

Now everything is super slick.

Although, besides flashing the new rom I really don't know where to go next with customizing the phone. Is Cyan pretty much the top end for Android mods?

I prefer SlimKat.

Husker86

So here is a dumb question.

I have always had phones with a miscrosd slot, so as a result I always backed my apps up using Titanium to the microsd card and never worried about wiping data before installing a new rom.

I have a OPO now, which doesn't have a microsd slot. So when I wipe data, will it wipe my backups if they are just sitting in a folder under /sdcard? Do I need to store my Titanium files off phone?
When you wipe data for a new ROM, the virtual SD portion of the storage is not erased. As long as you don't do a full reset (forgot the exact terminology used in recovery) you'll be fine.

Simply put, wipe data/cache won't touch virtual SD stuff.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
When you wipe data for a new ROM, the virtual SD portion of the storage is not erased. As long as you don't do a full reset (forgot the exact terminology used in recovery) you'll be fine.

Simply put, wipe data/cache won't touch virtual SD stuff.

Gotcha, good to know. Don't know how I have made it this far without figuring that out.

Karish

Hey GAF. I'm selling my Verizon S5 w/ S-View case for $400 shipped to a lucky GAFer. In amazing shape. Comes with the S-View case and original backing. White phone, black case. PM me if you want more info/pics

NotBacon

Yes. You can sometimes get away with just wiping dalvik/cache when upgrading your current rom, but even that can cause issues in rare instances.

So when people refer to cache, they mean dalvik cache? Funnily enough I don't use dalvik, but I'll still wipe it.

One more: when I flash Gapps will they be auto updated when new updates come out?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So when people refer to cache, they mean dalvik cache? Funnily enough I don't use dalvik, but I'll still wipe it.

One more: when I flash Gapps will they be auto updated when new updates come out?

Cache and dalvik cache are two different things and almost anyways recommended to wipe both.

Yes, flashing a gapps package means they will function identically to if they were installed on your phone already.

Installing a new ROM will mean you will probably be back to dalvik until you change it to ART again.

What rom are you trying?

NotBacon

Cache and dalvik cache are two different things and almost anyways recommended to wipe both.

Yes, flashing a gapps package means they will function identically to if they were installed on your phone already.

Installing a new ROM will mean you will probably be back to dalvik until you change it to ART again.

What rom are you trying?

Giving PA a spin.

This is my first time trying out a custom ROM, and it's pretty straight forward, the only problem is how fragmented the files and versions and documentation are in the ROM scene.... but I think I figured it out after a long night.

I've been using Android since the HTC Evo 4G days and lately I've been wondering how is life in the other side (iOS). I'm thinking about getting the new iPhone 6 (5.5" variant, Im currently rocking a Note 3 and for my gigantic hands it is just perfect). What Android-gaf says, yay or nay?

P.S. I've been rooting since the Evo, so I know quite a bit about rooting, custom ROM's and the such. I just want to try something different (I can always go back to Android in a year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom