• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Android since the HTC Evo 4G days and lately I've been wondering how is life in the other side (iOS). I'm thinking about getting the new iPhone 6 (5.5" variant, Im currently rocking a Note 3 and for my gigantic hands it is just perfect). What Android-gaf says, yay or nay?

P.S. I've been rooting since the Evo, so I know quite a bit about rooting, custom ROM's and the such. I just want to try something different (I can always go back to Android in a year).

I've been thinking of doing the same, but really the only benefit I can tell of having an Iphone is the better app store. Everything else seems better on Android. Also if you are a heavy rooter and user of custom roms, you will be very bored of IOS and the lack of customization options.

teiresias

less than 48 hours

phaser_suicide.gif

Going by the bowl of rice in the background are we to assume you dropped it in the toilet?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Giving PA a spin.

This is my first time trying out a custom ROM, and it's pretty straight forward, the only problem is how fragmented the files and versions and documentation are in the ROM scene.... but I think I figured it out after a long night.

Take it real slow.

Once you get the basics it is pretty much impossible to brick your device. But I did manage to hard brick my first phone (Galaxy S) because I somehow managed to flash the wrong bootloader on it. Luckily it was so hard bricked Tmobile didn't know I did it by being an idiot so they replaced it, hah. Dude had never seen a phone that wouldn't even boot into recovery or download mode, or using his special cable thingy.

I've been using Android since the HTC Evo 4G days and lately I've been wondering how is life in the other side (iOS). I'm thinking about getting the new iPhone 6 (5.5" variant, Im currently rocking a Note 3 and for my gigantic hands it is just perfect). What Android-gaf says, yay or nay?

P.S. I've been rooting since the Evo, so I know quite a bit about rooting, custom ROM's and the such. I just want to try something different (I can always go back to Android in a year).

I love my ipad, but I couldn't deal with ios on my phone.

NotBacon

I think the iOS8 is making a step in the right direction, but with Android L around the corner it's not even a question anymore. Unless you're REALLY invested in the apple ecosystem, or if you're just an Apple enthusiast, I'd stick with Googy.

I've been thinking of doing the same, but really the only benefit I can tell of having an Iphone is the better app store. Everything else seems better on Android. Also if you are a heavy rooter and user of custom roms, you will be very bored of IOS and the lack of customization options.

This is exactly what has me a bit hesistant. I love tinkering with my phone, but then again I wouldnt mind something that just works out of the box. I dont know a lot of the iOS app world, but I imagine that most of google apps are in there (Google Play Music All Access?).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't know if it is better on the iphone, but the notification shade on my ipad is completely useless.

And I don't see the better app store argument anymore, but I don't play many games at all on my phone.

NotBacon

Take it real slow.

Once you get the basics it is pretty much impossible to brick your device. But I did manage to hard brick my first phone (Galaxy S) because I somehow managed to flash the wrong bootloader on it. Luckily it was so hard bricked Tmobile didn't know I did it by being an idiot so they replaced it, hah. Dude had never seen a phone that wouldn't even boot into recovery or download mode, or using his special cable thingy.

It's not difficult considering I'm a dev and already have a bunch of dev tools, but I do worry about simply flashing an old or wrong file haha.
With the towelroot exploit and a bootloader one-click app, root and unlock has been 2-clicks so far. It's amazing how simple it's gotten to root these days.

Just to make sure, are these my next steps?

- Flash custom recovery
- Make Nandroid backup and store off-phone
- I've already backed up my data and apps
- Put ROM .img on phone
- Wipe cache, dalvik cache, and data ('Wipe cache partition' in CWM?)
- Flash ROM

?

NotBacon

This is exactly what has me a bit hesistant. I love tinkering with my phone, but then again I wouldnt mind something that just works out of the box. I dont know a lot of the iOS app world, but I imagine that most of google apps are in there (Google Play Music All Access?).

I think that's the beauty of Android (well at least Nexus and Moto phones). The out of the box experience is already extremely simple and enjoyable. You can get by on stock KK or L and be happy (and I did for many months), or you can go all out and root and flash and tweak, or somewhere in between.

With iOS you don't even have the choice.

I think that's the beauty of Android (well at least Nexus and Moto phones). The out of the box experience is already extremely simple and enjoyable. You can get by on stock KK or L and be happy (and I did for many months), or you can go all out and root and flash and tweak, or somewhere in between.

With iOS you don't even have the choice.

I was just watching a pocketnow.com preview of Android L vs iOS8 and once again and more than ever Im on the fence. Android L looks gorgeous, and the only thing that holds me back from staying with Android is that unless a Nexus phone comes out in a fairly significant screen size (5.5"+) I wont be able to fully enjoy all the pure Android goodness. Besides, all the flagships for 2014 have already shipped but the Note 4 and whatever new Nexus device comes out. So I guess I shall wait a bit longer and see what kind of goodness Apple brings to the table in terms of hardware, etc and the make up my mind.

Pachimari

To my surprise, it's incredibly hard to find original LG G3 batteries.

I have seen some Japanese spare ones on eBay, would those suffice with a European model?

I was just watching a pocketnow.com preview of Android L vs iOS8 and once again and more than ever Im on the fence. Android L looks gorgeous, and the only thing that holds me back from staying with Android is that unless a Nexus phone comes out in a fairly significant screen size (5.5"+) I wont be able to fully enjoy all the pure Android goodness. Besides, all the flagships for 2014 have already shipped but the Note 4 and whatever new Nexus device comes out. So I guess I shall wait a bit longer and see what kind of goodness Apple brings to the table in terms of hardware, etc and the make up my mind.

One Plus?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's not difficult considering I'm a dev and already have a bunch of dev tools, but I do worry about simply flashing an old or wrong file haha.
With the towelroot exploit and a bootloader one-click app, root and unlock has been 2-clicks so far. It's amazing how simple it's gotten to root these days.

Just to make sure, are these my next steps?

- Flash custom recovery
- Make Nandroid backup and store off-phone
- I've already backed up my data and apps
- Put ROM .img on phone
- Wipe cache, dalvik cache, and data ('Wipe cache partition' in CWM?)
- Flash ROM

?

Using an app for flashing custom recovery is the easiest way, for TWRP use GooManager.

Nandroid, eh, I never do this, but most seem to.

Don't forget to backup SMS.

I also always have the ROM I am coming from on the phone just in case the new rom doesn't work for some reason, easier that way.

Put rom zip and Gapps on phone.

Enter recovery. Wipe cache/dalvik/data. Install Rom. Install Gapps. Reboot and reinstall everything.

Super easy. If you bootloop, just try flashing again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who's buying a smart watch? I don't want to but I suspect I'll succumb. I should wait for Apple, at the least.

NotBacon

Using an app for flashing custom recovery is the easiest way, for TWRP use GooManager.

Nandroid, eh, I never do this, but most seem to.

Don't forget to backup SMS.

I also always have the ROM I am coming from on the phone just in case the new rom doesn't work for some reason, easier that way.

Put rom zip and Gapps on phone.

Enter recovery. Wipe cache/dalvik/data. Install Rom. Install Gapps. Reboot and reinstall everything.

Super easy. If you bootloop, just try flashing again.

Edit: That was annoying but I got TWRP working now

Nesotenso

had some questions

Just downloaded GCloud and noticed it had the track your android feature. My question was that in the event my phone gets lost or stolen, do the tracking features like the one from Gcloud or android device manager need a wifi connection to track my phone? Besides using GPS, how do they work? Can you track your phone if it only is getting on a cell network?

any help would be great.

asdad123

Who's buying a smart watch? I don't want to but I suspect I'll succumb. I should wait for Apple, at the least.

I might get the motorola one depending on the reviews. I have a galaxy gear 2 neo and it was useful, but I sold it due it only working with samsung phones. I did not want to be tied to a certain phone company due to a watch lol.

Its going to be interesting to see how google wear plays out.

NotBacon

PA is running buttery smooth until, bam, chrome force closes every time I open it now. wtf mate.

Edit: just needed to flash Gapps again after the PA update...

Pachimari

Well now that I broke my iPhone 5, I'm gonna get a Moto360.

I just wonder what it can do besides being a notification center. Will it be able to remove my password when it's close to my phone, setting that it's a LG G3?

I also wonder if it'll come with any health related sensors. Like pulse, steps and blood pressure.

I most of all want it to function on its own, instead of just being an extension of the phone.

On another note, is the NFC chip on the battery or backplate of the LG G3? Since I noticed the Caseology batteries says (no NFC).

Salsa

Going by the bowl of rice in the background are we to assume you dropped it in the toilet?

nah

I actually did no damage to it at all. Didnt fall or got in water or anything I can think of

rice thing was just in case some sort of liquid (?) got in there cause I was running out of options

nothing to do, and the sad part is that I really dont have money at the moment so im probably gonna end up either staying with it or getting a whole new screen rather than taking the opportunity to upgrade to a better phone :/ sucks. terrible timing

get the iPhone.

So...today someone broke into my locker at the gym (along with at least 4 other people, including one who was female in the other lockers) and stole my wallet and nexus 4. They eventually found my wallet (sans cash) in one of the stalls, but my phone I'll likely never see again.

Which means.....any good deals on Nexus 5's? Or rumors on Nexus 6s? Are there any other good, affordable, unlocked phones that run on TMobile anyone can recommend?

Snaku

Banned
So...today someone broke into my locker at the gym (along with at least 4 other people, including one who was female in the other lockers) and stole my wallet and nexus 4. They eventually found my wallet (sans cash) in one of the stalls, but my phone I'll likely never see again.

Which means.....any good deals on Nexus 5's? Or rumors on Nexus 6s? Are there any other good, affordable, unlocked phones that run on TMobile anyone can recommend?

That really blows. Motorola is working on a Nexus phablet code named Shamu last I heard. Probably Oct/Nov release.

If waiting isn't an option, you could try to get an invite for the OnePlus One.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

OnePlus One.

Invite system sucks but you can buy an invite on ebay for around $20. Very nexus like device.

NotBacon

Yeah I'd go for that 1+1 or X+1 (coming this month)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
had some questions

Just downloaded GCloud and noticed it had the track your android feature. My question was that in the event my phone gets lost or stolen, do the tracking features like the one from Gcloud or android device manager need a wifi connection to track my phone? Besides using GPS, how do they work? Can you track your phone if it only is getting on a cell network?

any help would be great.

The phone needs a data connection to communicate with the servers, obviously. If that's a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection doesn't matter.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hi guys, do you recommend any password manager/generator?

I like LastPass. It's cheap and has all the functions I need. The app seemingly gets closed in the background, though, so sometimes you have to restart it to get a web browser password fill prompt. I used to use DashLane which looks great but it was too expensive.

TTOOLL

I like LastPass. It's cheap and has all the functions I need. The app seemingly gets closed in the background, though, so sometimes you have to restart it to get a web browser password fill prompt. I used to use DashLane which looks great but it was too expensive.

I know literally nothing about how these apps work, are they safe to use?

Bboy AJ

I know literally nothing about how these apps work, are they safe to use?

I didn't know much about them, either, until recently. Yeah, they're fine to use. Search this thread for password. Or OT3. You'll find posts by me.

the ones out now are fucking stupid but I'm interested. Obviously waiting for apple. Maybe they'll get the first thing right, you know, that it should actually be a good watch.

- Good watch (as in functional outside, doesn't need to be charged every night, sapphire face, stylish)
- Good software (Don't want my wrist buzzing or a notification coming in every second, and no I don't want to constantly scroll like an idiot on my watch)
- a feature that is genuinely different and useful. Some shortcuts to things I can do on my phone and counting my steps....no.

enjoy paying $500 more than the competition
if it gives me a watch that is an actual good watch then why not. Macbooks cost more but are better than just about every laptop. Iphones cost more but are better than most phones.

The whole apple stuff is more expensive is tired when their shit is actually great. I'm not a hater though. I appreciate some good android and some good apple stuff.

Their watch (or line-up of watch I suspect) might suck too or at least not be appealing but they are taking more time than the rest and seem to be taking it more seriously considering their hires and whatnot. And they do have better designers. I'll wait to see what it's like. I bet they have multiple models at multiple price ranges.

solarus

enjoy paying $500 more than the competition
While that's a hyperbolic statement, if it cost $100 more and was actually useful and nails what a smartwatch should be, then I'd buy it without any hesitation (if i was on ios, i'm currently not). Android wear is really meh to me with the current software and hardware. The rumored health focused approach of the iwatch sounds great especially with healthkit being introduced in ios 8. Once google fit is out and fleshed out with decent hardware to match, android wear will be a lot more interesting.

luso

Is there a thread about tabs?
Anyway, any recommendations for the type of micro sd cards for a Samsung Galaxy tab pro? Is there any constrains on the card class if I want to store to watch full HD videos? Or any would do? I'll probably get from Samsung anyway, but maybe I could get something cheaper.

Eanan

Disguised Cerberus is such a good app to have. It really gives you peace of mind should your high end phone be stolen that you have a chance of finding out who stole it and taking it from there.

thuway

I prefer SlimKat.

I've been using SlimKat for my Note 3, but honestly, the modified Stock Roms with the Debloat Aroma Installers are the way to go. The battery life on a kernel based off stock has around 2 hours more screen on time than a kernel based off AOSP. However, the AOSP based roms kill TouchWiz in terms of overall smoothness / performance.

The one problem I have with Android customizations is it seemed to me that in order to get certain tweaks, I'd have to find a ROM that had those tweaks. So it came down to finding the right ROM that did everything the way I wanted where as jailbreaking iOS let me just apply whatever specific tweak I wanted. That was something I didn't expect when moving to Android and it was frustrating.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been using SlimKat for my Note 3, but honestly, the modified Stock Roms with the Debloat Aroma Installers are the way to go. The battery life on a kernel based off stock has around 2 hours more screen on time than a kernel based off AOSP. However, the AOSP based roms kill TouchWiz in terms of overall smoothness / performance.

For TW devices I agree completely. Battery life trumps performance/looks in my book. I used JediX20 on my Note2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom