• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The S6 is Samsung's renaissance. It'll be brilliant if you get the Edge.

kmfdmpig

i still can't believe they're gonna make a newer tablet with a worse PPI and resolution than the previous model.

It led to me getting the older model. It's much better for what I'll want. Plus if they're going to emulate Apple like that they'll probably get rid of SD slots, which is something I will not abide.

j-wood

Was the OTA version of 5.1 for the nexus 6 for sprint phones? If i'm using the nexus i ordered from motorola on Verizon and I sideload the OTA version, is that the same thing I'd get if I just waited for it to be pushed to my phone?

asdad123

I can't believe the wizardry Sony pulled off with their batteries. Currently at 5.5 hrs SoT and 39 hours off battery and I'm still at 20% battery life left on my z3.

Jigolo

what a minute that other review told me the battery life was worst in their testing. wait... a minute.... people actually use their phones in different ways? say it ain't so

j-wood

I can't get adb to work. When I boot to recovery and go to load the ota on my nexus 6 the device isn't found.

Nexus 6 on windows 7. Any ideas?

Chorazin

I can't get adb to work. When I boot to recovery and go to load the ota on my nexus 6 the device isn't found.

Go into device manager while the N6 is in recovery. If it shows it can't find the divers for the device, manually choose to pick from a list and select the adb drivers. Should work then!

j-wood

Go into device manager while the N6 is in recovery. If it shows it can't find the divers for the device, manually choose to pick from a list and select the adb drivers. Should work then!

Tried that and it says not compatible with this device.

Device manager shows nexus 6 with a question mark. It works fine when the phone is on, but loses it when I'm doing the sideload part in recovery.

Jzero

The Nexus 6 drivers are all fucked up. Mine was set to Acer Device instead of MTP USB Device.

So select 'Update Driver...', in the opened window select 'Browse my computer for driver software' then 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer' in the list select 'MTP USB Device' and click on Next button.

jokkir

Memory leaks? I have negative RAM

0FJwiCz.png

I don't even know how this happened :\

don't expect jubilation from me, i don't own Samsung stock.

Be glad you don't

I think Samsungs biggest upgrade in their range this year is their profit margin.

All according to keikaku. They know they aren't going to win the war of low-end phone spam with China, so they're trying to move into the upmarket high profit niche that Apple resides in. It's not a bad play considering how terrible the other Android OEMs are doing even when they aren't yet forced to compete with China outside of the domestic Chinese markets.

The real question is why you should choose to buy a Samsung Galaxy i6 instead of an iPhone 6. If Samsung can solve that dilemma, abandoning the low end bottom feeders like HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, et. al to be torn apart by the Xiaomi, Hauwei, Lenovo, ZTE, Oppo, etc. piranhas while sailing to Apple's glorious profit margins will save the company. If not, well then Samsung's going to have problems.

vwnut13

Settings > Storage > (three dot menu) > USB Computer Connection

Uncheck MTP. ADB doesn't work when the device is connected with MTP.

Now when you plug it into your PC, it should ask you to allow with the computers RSA key.

j-wood

Settings > Storage > (three dot menu) > USB Computer Connection

Uncheck MTP. ADB doesn't work when the device is connected with MTP.

Now when you plug it into your PC, it should ask you to allow with the computers RSA key.

Yeah. I accepted the key. The problem is when the phone is in recovery mode and I issue the adb sideload command.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Are tablets pretty much dead?

Bigger phones, lighter latops....

They seem like a dead end evolutionarily.

I don't think so, they are still lighter and cheaper than a laptop and can do media way better, that being said I don't consider a laptop for entertainment so...

Rootbeer

Banned

I do think that the interest in tablets grew because of how tiny smartphone screens were in those first few years. But now with lots of people getting 5 or 6 inch phones, or monster phones like the Note line, tablets won't be as popular because it's better to have one device that is an "okay" tablet than have two different devices to carry around. We saw this with smartphone cameras, Nobody wants a point-and-shoot because most smartphones are an "okay" camera, good enough for most people's on-the-go needs and more convenient.

If Apple would create a more Surface-like notebook it would pretty much kill the iPad. Probably why they won't do it.

If Apple would create a more Surface-like notebook it would pretty much kill the iPad. Probably why they won't do it.

Well all they would have to do is look at how the Surface didn't kill the iPad and decide their current course of action is the correct one.

I love my SP2 but holy hell is Windows 8.1 a huge piece of shit. God I hope Win10 is a better tablet OS than Win8.1 is.

markot

Banned
Well all they would have to do is look at how the Surface didn't kill the iPad and decide their current course of action is the correct one.

I love my SP2 but holy hell is Windows 8.1 a huge piece of shit. God I hope Win10 is a better tablet OS than Win8.1 is.

I tried the preview on my surface.

It was even worse then windows 8.0000000.

Hell, it was worse then using windows 7 on a tablet.

Yes! 5.0.2 for my Z3! It's finally happening! Hopefully Sony fixed all of Goog's fuck ups with the memory issues because 5.1 is probably at least 6 weeks away.

kmfdmpig

It seems like some think tablet sales will be slightly down this year, while others think they'll be slightly up, so not dead, but not really thriving either. I was shocked that in the last few months only the Z4 tablet was announced as a high end Android tablet as I thought we'd see a lot of new models.

I suspect that people feel the urge to replace tablets less often than phones, which probably bodes poorly for the long term success of tablets.

As Bboy mentioned I don't think having a large phone makes a tablet that much less useful. I have had a Note 2 and Note 3, but even something like a 7 or 8.9 inch tablet seems like a very different experience for videos or comics than a phone. Perhaps a Nexus 6 and a 7 inch tablet would be close enough that it would not make sense, but for me having a Note does not diminish the value of my tablets.

Hasney

It seems like some think tablet sales will be slightly down this year, while others think they'll be slightly up, so not dead, but not really thriving either. I was shocked that in the last few months only the Z4 tablet was announced as a high end Android tablet as I thought we'd see a lot of new models.

I suspect that people feel the urge to replace tablets less often than phones, which probably bodes poorly for the long term success of tablets.

As Bboy mentioned I don't think having a large phone makes a tablet that much less useful. I have had a Note 2 and Note 3, but even something like a 7 or 8.9 inch tablet seems like a very different experience for videos or comics than a phone. Perhaps a Nexus 6 and a 7 inch tablet would be close enough that it would not make sense, but for me having a Note does not diminish the value of my tablets.

I agree with this. I mean the only time I pick up my tablet now is if my phone is low on battery or slightly further out of reach and I want to play Hearthstone or cast a YouTube video to the TV.

EDIT: Although I may use my Kindle Fire HDX a little more in the near future as Carcassonne is the app of the day

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SRJSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I still use my tablet, granted I use it as a laptop, but I use it nonetheless. I do think people have less incentive to upgrade, I mean, what's the point of getting a new one?

Nice. That's the best looking OEM skin of the bunch (only second to moto). It's kinda close to the stock look and feel. Sony's own apps actually look material as well. The only thing that looks bad is the home button, because it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's too bad Sony hasn't gotten it's shit together in the US or else I'd be seriously considering them when I finally upgrade.

Pachimari

Am I the only one who haven't been able to operate the LG G3 with one hand since the Android 5.0 Lollipop update?

I never had trouble but now I always mark the text instead of clicking the link I'm trying to hit.

longdi

Banned
who wants Z2, er Z4 leaks!

caorii6weaaizy_.jpg

Yay moving the speaker grills back top! Z3 centered speaker grills make it tough to apply a glass screen protector. Z4 looks like a nice mix of Z2 and Z3 design. No more noticeable plastic protector corners too.

Now let see if the SD810 will be shit or god tier in Sony's hands.

I played with the LG2 Flex2, not sure if it is due to Lolipop memory bug or the SD810 throttling, there are noticeable dropped frames from time to time. It is as jarring as GS Note4 slooow task manager.

Yay moving the speaker grills back top! Z3 centered speaker grills make it tough to apply a glass screen protector. Z4 looks like a nice mix of Z2 and Z3 design. No more noticeable plastic protector corners too.

Now let see if the SD810 will be shit or god tier in Sony's hands.

I played with the LG2 Flex2, not sure if it is due to Lolipop memory bug or the SD810 throttling, there are noticeable dropped frames from time to time. It is as jarring as GS Note4 slooow task manager.

The G Flex 2 is supposed to be janky as fuck. But the M9 is smooth as hell. LG just sucks at optimizing.

I saw this and laughed out loud. This is truly amazing. Just great.

who wants Z2, er Z4 leaks!

caorii6weaaizy_.jpg

Any specs? I need a full spec sheet, because...

After this, I might consider a Sony phone after all. My Nexus 5 battery disappointed me greatly today (took it off the charger around 5 am, died around 3:30) and home screen icons and clock aside, the skin looks really good. This might be my next!

E: aw, shit. What if Sony got the 810 for the Z4 as well...? Hype deflated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember when Vanillalite told us the 810 would be a game changer? Guess it is as it'll be the one to lead us further into global warming.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
there's talk that the SD810 in the Z4 is greatly underclocked, so that it wont melt into hot glass

...but there's also reports that Sony is having a hell (har har) of a time keeping it from overheating

:/

Top Bottom