• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Saiyan-Rox

I don't have a ChromeOS Laptop but I'm considering one sometime in the future. I just did a check for those features and found this:

As for native notifications, it seems it's supporting it now.

Yeah I remember them saying about phone notifications at last years I/O but I couldn't find anything about it being live on there yet. phone and the HP11 should be fine for smart lock then at least.

L.O.R.D

fdQNTCR.jpg

https://twitter.com/htc/status/577552290510417920

we will see HTC, we will see

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
More Twitter fodder

SS09WtS.jpg

Seriously HTC, what's happened to you? You're just two years removed from having released the best phone ever, and now you're doing damage control on your newest flagship's downgraded screen?

that panel literally looks like the shitty ones Sony used pre-Z2

Not enough volume to get the best quality at a reasonable price IMO. They used JDI last year, that looks like a Sharp panel. Sony are using JDI only in the Z series.

Honestly that looks very similar to the poor 5" Sharp VA panel that Sony used in the Z/Z1.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know this isn't a Chromebook thread but do any of you guys have one?

Was thinking about getting an HP 11 but is the smart lock and native phone notifications live on chrome OS yet?

Don't get the 11 as the hardware is OLD. There are cheaper or similar priced options that have better inards. Trust me on this even if the industrial design on the 11 is nice.

Saiyan-Rox

Don't get the 11 as the hardware is OLD. There are cheaper or similar priced options that have better inards. Trust me on this even if the industrial design on the 11 is nice.

Any suggestions? as it stands atm I can get the 11 for £110 on ebay which I didn't think was too bad. I'll admit too I did cringe when I saw it used that samsung processor.

I was looking at a windows tablet swell mainly the Linx 10 but I figured since the only thing i'd probably use on a windows tablet was youtube/web browsing i'd get a chromebook instead.

Jigolo

Well it's a good thing I skipped this year. Aside from the S6 which looks fantastic, every other flagship will be running this shit chip.

Sorry M9, G4, Z4. You're already dead to me thanks to Qualcomms huge fuck up.

Then what's the point?

You made a definitive statement that wasn't correct man, not me. No big deal, but it's not my job to state the point. They'll work in the US should you decide to sacrifice 4G.

If he/she decides that's not for them, great, but at least he's working with accurate information

Avixph

You made a definitive statement that wasn't correct man, not me. No big deal, but it's not my job to state the point. They'll work in the US should you decide to sacrifice 4G.

If he/she decides that's not for them, great, but at least he's working with accurate information
Oh okay.

NotBacon

Any suggestions?

Not sure of the deals you can get, but the Dell Chromebook 11, Toshiba Chromebook 2, and Asus Chromebook are the best you can get right now. HP 11 gets notably worse scores.

Rumor has it when you bring your old phone into the Apple Store, they give you the cash then spit on your phone then throw it on the ground while maintaining eye contact.

Saiyan-Rox

Not sure of the deals you can get, but the Dell Chromebook 11, Toshiba Chromebook 2, and Asus Chromebook are the best you can get right now. HP 11 gets notably worse scores.

Rumor has it when you bring your old phone into the Apple Store, they give you the cash then spit on your phone then throw it on the ground while maintaining eye contact.

I was looking at the Toshiba but seems the 4GB model is hard to come by and the 2GB is about 30 pounds more on ebay for a used model than the HP11

Wish I could afford a pixel lol

I can no longer install or update apps that are sideloaded i.e. not from the Play Store. On the black install screen tapping anywhere in the Install box does nothing and I can only go back and cancel it. I noticed this when I side-downloaded on the 13th 4 Google app updates (e.g. the Store and Music) because I hate rollouts (still not in the Play Store today!) I can't even update the Amazon Appstore or install games from it for this reason. I have checked the option to install 3rd party apps in security settings but it doesn't effect it; I also unchecked and checked it again to no avail. Phone is a 2013 Moto X with 4.4.4 on Cricket.

Husker86

Prerelease hardware, prerelease software. The most annoying fucking attempt by companies to delay bad news. And the sad thing is, sometimes it's probably a legit excuse, but it is used so often that I just assume it's bullshit.

How about you stop sending unfinished units for people to review? Ever think of that?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Prerelease hardware, prerelease software. The most annoying fucking attempt by companies to delay bad news. And the sad thing is, sometimes it's probably a legit excuse, but it is used so often that I just assume it's bullshit.

How about you stop sending unfinished units for people to review? Ever think of that?
Yup. If the reviews are positive, everyone get hyped. If they're negative, come on, guys, it's unfinished software.

Screw off, companies.

L.O.R.D

i think they learned from ubisoft , so they gonna release unfinished hardware and software

hmmm so I got some hands on time with the S6 edge/M9.

Not bad I guess. M9 is what you'd expect. The camera looks weird. S6 edge felt high quality, I like the size of the device overall. But the edges still seem kinda gimmicky to me more often than not.

Either way not bad.

Lolol it just never ends for them.

Not bad I guess. M9 is what you'd expect. The camera looks weird. S6 edge felt high quality, I like the size of the device overall. But the edges still seem kinda gimmicky to me more often than not.

Either way not bad.
Edge is a great phone confirmed.

Edge is a great phone confirmed.
touchwiz is also better, the settings especially. It's still touchwiz though. Honestly if the battery was better it could have been beast.

But yeah I put the m9 down in less than a minute though it was very snappy. But the s6 edge was more interesting. Was a white one I used.

Angst

I can no longer install or update apps that are sideloaded i.e. not from the Play Store. On the black install screen tapping anywhere in the Install box does nothing and I can only go back and cancel it. I noticed this when I side-downloaded on the 13th 4 Google app updates (e.g. the Store and Music) because I hate rollouts (still not in the Play Store today!) I can't even update the Amazon Appstore or install games from it for this reason. I have checked the option to install 3rd party apps in security settings but it doesn't effect it; I also unchecked and checked it again to no avail. Phone is a 2013 Moto X with 4.4.4 on Cricket.
Are you using an app that affects brightness? If so, and from disables installing third party apps. It also makes it impossible to accept root access pop ups. Try disabling the brightness app and you should be able to confirm the third party install dialogue.

Avixph

Either way not bad.
Where did you try out the phones?

Cipherr

My M8 is great fuck yall.

But the M9 appears to be a catastrophe currently. Dear lord in heaven
KuGsj.gif

That heat image is hilarious. Some terminator 2 thumbs up shit right there.

Sanjuro

More Twitter fodder

SS09WtS.jpg

Seriously HTC, what's happened to you? You're just two years removed from having released the best phone ever, and now you're doing damage control on your newest flagship's downgraded screen?

HTC has been an awful company historically with their Android products. I'll always be hesitant in their devices.

That being said, this could all be a wash.

GSG Flash

HTC has been an awful company historically with their Android products. I'll always be hesitant in their devices.

That being said, this could all be a wash.

The M7 and M8 are awesome phones (M8 is ugly though IMO) and HTC's software support for those phones has been just as good as Google's support for the Nexus line, so your hesitation is unfounded when it comes to those two because to me they are far and away the best phones of the last two years. HTC must have hit their heads really hard though because the M9 is looking a huge disappointment when put next to the M7 and M8.

Sanjuro

The M7 and M8 are awesome phones (M8 is ugly though IMO) and HTC's software support for those phones has been just as good as Google's support for the Nexus line, so your hesitation is unfounded when it comes to those two because to me they are far and away the best phones of the last two years. HTC must have hit their heads really hard though because the M9 is looking a huge disappointment when put next to the M7 and M8.

How is it unfounded? I didn't discredit the M8/M7. They are responsible for some of the worst Android devices, as well as some of the "best". Their software has been garbage on other devices.

HTC Thunderbolt survivor here.

GSG Flash

How is it unfounded? I didn't discredit the M8/M7. They are responsible for some of the worst Android devices, as well as some of the "best". Their software has been garbage on other devices.

HTC Thunderbolt survivor here.

It's unfounded because HTC redeemed themselves with the M7 and M8. I had the Evo 3D, which wasn't too far off from the Thunderbolt, and I swore off HTC after that, but I ended up getting the One M7 by chance and I'm really glad I did. In terms of just the phones themselves, HTC bitch-slapped their competitors with the M7 and M8.

Top Bottom