• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

kmfdmpig

My Note II is going to be a 3 year phone by the time the Note 5 comes out.

I really hope Samsung doesn't mess with the Note the way they changed the S to be like iPhones. I'm sure the Samsung Galaxy i6 will sell pretty well because it's now metal and glass, but ditching the microSD slot was a dick move motivated purely by the insane profits Apple makes by charging so much money for storage capacity upgrades.

That's my fear as well. I got a free Note 3 to tide me over, but I do worry that Samsung is just going to copy Apple now (even though they were accused of that in the past they really didn't). Look at the upcoming Galaxy Tab S 2. It's got the same aspect ratio, resolution and size as iPads whereas the initial ones were larger, higher res, and had a different aspect ratio. To me, this seems like steps backwards.

That's my fear as well. I got a free Note 3 to tide me over, but I do worry that Samsung is just going to copy Apple now (even though they were accused of that in the past they really didn't). Look at the upcoming Galaxy Tab S 2. It's got the same aspect ratio, resolution and size as iPads whereas the initial ones were larger, higher res, and had a different aspect ratio. To me, this seems like steps backwards.

i still can't believe they're gonna make a newer tablet with a worse PPI and resolution than the previous model.

Chorazin

Sideload the OTA, it fixed all my problems so far. WiFi is reliable now, and the phone is much faster overall, battery life is better too. Rollouts are the one thing I can't stand about Android, but if you do a little homework you can update on your terms.

Yup, the sideload was total worth it. Why wait?

Not sure why people are assuming S6 will be successful >_> No replaceable battery and no SD card support didn't exactly help the other OEMs
My Note II is going to be a 3 year phone by the time the Note 5 comes out.

I really hope Samsung doesn't mess with the Note the way they changed the S to be like iPhones. I'm sure the Samsung Galaxy i6 will sell pretty well because it's now metal and glass, but ditching the microSD slot was a dick move motivated purely by the insane profits Apple makes by charging so much money for storage capacity upgrades.
I agree. I was always under the impression that the Note was selling to a different audience than the S anyway. Let's pray that the Note line is safe.

I still think that even Samsung anticipates either the continued decline or at best slightly better success than the S5. And they hope to offset that with much higher margins this time around.

Google needs to stop this slow rollout bullshit. My nexus 6 needs 5.1 and I REALLY need the play music update to fix some really annoying bugs.

I was starting to regret getting a Nexus 6 due to the terrible performance on it. Lollipop ran like complete garbage on it. Then, 5.1 hit.

It's like a completely new phone. Sideload it ASAP.

j-wood

I guess I'm just worried about side loading the OTA because I'm using this phone on Verizon. I've seen maybe a separate build for Verizon phones out there on XDA, then hearing about SMS issues if using volte and whatnot.

So I'm wondering if google halts this update and then comes out with a new one.

Also, isn't the ota for sprint phones?

Wreav

Banned
Nothing like supporting a stupid family member that was talked into going Android and can't find their way out of a paper bag.

Nothing like supporting a stupid family member that was talked into going Android and can't find their way out of a paper bag.
I spoke to a couple customers in the past that were like "my buddy told me to get this samsung, how do I facetime? my buddy said these devices can video chat just like facetime".

I'm just like.......ugh.

Groof

Google: Android 5.1 Memory Leak Has Been Fixed Internally, No Timeline For Release Yet

When Android 5.1 was announced, many hoped the issue would finally be resolved. After all, Google did mark the memory leak (which climbed to the 34th highest position in the issue tracker's history) as "future release" back in December.

As it turns out though, Lollipop 5.1 is not without its own memory leak, at least for some users over at the issue tracker. But Google has some good news and some bad news. The good news is that the 5.1 memory leak has been "fixed internally." The bad news? "We do not currently have a timeline for public release."

we will never be free

3phemeral

How is it Google/Android can get away with such "no timeline for release" saying? If it was Windows or PS4 or Nvidia etc, it will be a shit storm...

Maybe it's because it's just a memory leak as opposed to a security issue? I'm not really familiar with any other controversies other than Google's persistence in publishing security issues that haven't been fixed passed the 90-day grace period.

It's completely backwards. Everyone's complaining every single day, they fix it but never release it.
They "fix" it. I'm starting to think they say that only to get people to shut up for a bit.

My brother got a Moto E and it made me appreciate lollipop on the Moto X. 2gb of ram should be minimum for a lagless android experience IMO.

Noema

They "fix" it. I'm starting to think they say that only to get people to shut up for a bit.

My brother got a Moto E and it made me appreciate lollipop on the Moto X. 2gb of ram should be minimum for a lagless android experience IMO.

I truly hope the 2015 Moto G gets 2GB. No matter how much better the camera, SoC or screen get, Android needs 2GB. Having launcher redraws after pretty much doing anything is not fun.

Lichter

Hey guys, I'm going to sell back my Lumia 1520 (I'm done with Microsoft, all of their services are available everywhere and I still don't have Snapchat or an official YouTube app and I'm missing all of the good mobile games like Monument Valley etc) and I'm looking for a good androphone (I don't want to ruin my experience with Android L).

My last androphone was a Motorola Defy lol, I currently have a Lumia 1520 so I need a good smartphone with a good camera, great design and good specs : 5 inches minimum 1080p, 2GB ram minimum (I want to be able to run all the apps/games).

For 300-400€.

I was thinking about the Xperia Z3, but I wonder if you have any other smartphones to suggest (from any unknown Chinese manufacturer or whatever).

One thing I missed the most about Android was installing Roms so I don't have any problems to install cyanogenmod/panandroid/... for keeping my phone up to date. (and it allows to remove the manufacturer's interface and having a "pure" android experience)

Thanks! :)

why are you getting up in arms over a .1" increase?
it's just silly with all the rumours of them starting a phablet line.

One thing I missed the most about Android was installing Roms so I don't have any problems to install cyanogenmod/panandroid/... for keeping my phone up to date. (and it allows to remove the manufacturer's interface and having a "pure" android experience)

If you miss that then maybe get a OnePlus One.

Hey guys, I'm going to sell back my Lumia 1520 (I'm done with Microsoft, all of their services are available everywhere and I still don't have Snapchat or an official YouTube app and I'm missing all of the good mobile games like Monument Valley etc) and I'm looking for a good androphone (I don't want to ruin my experience with Android L).

My last androphone was a Motorola Defy lol, I currently have a Lumia 1520 so I need a good smartphone with a good camera, great design and good specs : 5 inches minimum 1080p, 2GB ram minimum (I want to be able to run all the apps/games).

For 300-400€.

I was thinking about the Xperia Z3, but I wonder if you have any other smartphones to suggest (from any unknown Chinese manufacturer or whatever).

Moto X 2014 for a stock android experience. One Plus One for fantastically priced flagship grade phone and easy modding. Z3 for a great phone with premium feel, but late updates.

Groof

And then 2 years down the line it's 5.8. It's not "just" a .1 increase. We are in too fucking big where any bigger is a detriment territory.

it is "just" a .1 increase. once we hit 5.8 flagship then it'll be ridiculous, but we already got 6" ones so...

maybe one day they'll go back to sub 5.5. maybe they'll even do it with their "premium" flagship. their note line might not even be phablet sized. there are too many unknowns to even say anything at this point.

Lichter

Oh okay great.

Moto X 2014 for a stock android experience. One Plus One for fantastically priced flagship grade phone and easy modding. Z3 for a great phone with premium feel, but late updates.

The Moto X looks very good, great software optimization.

But I think I am going to buy the O+O, thanks!

Avixph

Here's a new review of the Galaxy S6 by GeeksAndCom. In the review GeeksAndCom had this to say about the Galaxy S6's battery preformance:
I noticed a superior battery life to that of the S5 in most uses. I never had any issues lasting a day with medium use, while a intensive use allowed for the battery to last about 14 hours. The testings with Geekbench 3 confirm this feeling : 8.5 hours were needed to kill the S6 battery in an intensive use of the processor while 5h were enough to kill the Lollipop-running S5. The improvement is thus substantial.

Here's an image of their Geekbench 3 results:
L3L6sed.jpg

Top Bottom