• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
there's talk that the SD810 in the Z4 is greatly underclocked, so that it wont melt into hot glass

...but there's also reports that Sony is having a hell (har har) of a time keeping it from overheating

:/
I look forward to having a Mordor edition phone.

Brot, get a Z3. I got one and it is great. 3GB RAM which makes it futureproof and the SD card is actually going to be useful now that Sony have re-introduced APPS2SD.

L.O.R.D

HTC One M9 test shows 131 degree surface temp while running GFXBench

2000587739.jpeg

SD810 - processor and toaster all n one

oh man...oh man

i was really onto the m9
really loved it
my heart is broken

kmfdmpig

Its over for Sony Mobile :/
They are the classiest Android OEM

fucking qualcomm for major failure of all time.

Maybe Microsoft can buy them over and ask them to make WP...our last hope.
A few months ago would anyone have anticipated such a blunder from qualcomm? I can't remember the last tech company that stumbled so badly. Maybe MS with Vista?

j-wood

Can you use any USB cable with a turbo charger and still get the same effect?

I'm looking at buying a second turbo charger for my nexus 6 but the moto one is so expensive. Amazon seems to have some for significantly cheaper, but it's the wall plug only. Are these going to be the same?

Brot, get a Z3. I got one and it is great. 3GB RAM which makes it futureproof and the SD card is actually going to be useful now that Sony have re-introduced APPS2SD.

No wireless charging and the Z4 is supposed to have it (the dock connector was dropped after all). And no, the £79.90 flip case with Qi is not a solution.

v2hpHUk.jpg

I mean, not at the fucking price of that thing. It's a joke.

I already had to give up Glance and double tap to wake, when I switched from the Lumia to the Nexus 5. I'm not giving up on Qi charging now.

No wireless charging and the Z4 is supposed to have it (the dock connector was dropped after all). And no, the £79.90 flip case with Qi is not a solution.

http://i.imgur.com/v2hpHUk.jpg[ /img]

I mean, not at the fucking price of that thing. It's a joke.

I already had to give up Glance and double tap to wake, when I switched from the Lumia to the Nexus 5. I'm not giving up on Qi charging now.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what Glance is but it has tap to wake. The wireless charging is pretty fugly though. I use a magnetic charging cable which saves having to open up the flap to access the USB port.

Wreav

Banned
Everything about the M9 is hot garbage. Don't buy it. Stop talking about it. Help drive HTC into the dirt where they belong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My Nexus 4 has started making crackling noises when using the touchscreen or even unlocking it. Running 5.0 with nova launcher, but it has been well behaved before now (other than the battery being crappy)

longdi

Banned
I think all androids OEMs (besides Samsung) should skip 810 and wait for Sept-Nov to launch their flagship with a new SoC. Or they could delay a few months and fit the 14nm Exynos from Samsung.

Best thing they could do is to concentrate on tuning their Lolipop and push Google to release all those fixes asap. Lolipop on 801 is fast enough.

Forcing through the flop 810 will only leave a bad taste for the consumers. Seriously who needs a slightly faster flopship with worse battery life than your last?

1H15 Android is for Samsung to lose imo

Toki767

I think all androids OEMs (besides Samsung) should skip 810 and wait for Sept-Nov to launch their flagship with a new SoC. Or they could delay a few months and fit the 14nm Exynos from Samsung.

Best thing they could do is to concentrate on tuning their Lolipop and push Google to release all those fixes asap. Lolipop on 801 is fast enough.

Forcing through the flop 810 will only leave a bad taste for the consumers. Seriously who needs a slightly faster flopship with worse battery life than your last?

1H15 Android is for Samsung to lose imo

The only issue with waiting is that there is no guarantee that Qualcomm will have their shit together with the next Snapdragon.

The only issue with waiting is that there is no guarantee that Qualcomm will have their shit together with the next Snapdragon.
820 uses their custom instruction set so hopefully they won't fuck it up so badly. I've heard that Sony are going to throttle the 810 by around 40%, but it should still be competitive with other processors in the same hardware class and noticeably faster than the 801. Not sure if that last bit is just wishful thinking by my friend.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't wanna pile on HTC but.... from the same Dutch Tweakers review:

(top one is the M9, bottom is the M8)
2000587219.jpeg

kharma45

M9 seems a total embarrassment. It should have been so easy to get right.

Not sure what Glance is but it has tap to wake. The wireless charging is pretty fugly though. I use a magnetic charging cable which saves having to open up the flap to access the USB port.

Glance was a feature Nokia added to Windows Phone. Same idea as Motorla's active display but since Glance came first it's more refined.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't even understand how this is possible. It's the exact same fucking screen as last year.

Tweakers seems to think they went with another panel. From the (google translated) review:

It is obvious that HTC simply exactly the same screen as used in the M8, but that is not the case. For reasons we do not understand is the manufacturer went for another panel that produces noticeably less beautiful picture. For example, the brightness is lower, although the difference is not large. With a maximum brightness of 474cd / m² of M9 screen is fortunately still bright enough to be still visible in the air.

If we look at the contrast ratio of the screen, we see a big difference. Where the M8 a ratio of 1624: 1 makes note, an excellent score for an LCD, the M9 does not exceed 911: 1. That is to see if you like both devices side by side; the image of the M8 look more impressive. Especially in a dark environment can be seen that the black on the M8 is much deeper; the M9 tends a bit more to very dark gray with a blue touch. Look you then even at an oblique angle to the screen, we see clear color shifting, something we expected earlier in cheaper phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love how we are more outraged about a proc we all don't have than mad at Google for totally fucking everyone with Android L and the memory leak.

The fact that it's 4 months, and the shit still has not been patched to the public is un fucking believeable. If this was iOS the pitchforks would have been out months ago.

Saiyan-Rox

I know this isn't a Chromebook thread but do any of you guys have one?

Was thinking about getting an HP 11 but is the smart lock and native phone notifications live on chrome OS yet?

3phemeral

I know this isn't a Chromebook thread but do any of you guys have one?

Was thinking about getting an HP 11 but is the smart lock and native phone notifications live on chrome OS yet?

I don't have a ChromeOS Laptop but I'm considering one sometime in the future. I just did a check for those features and found this:

As for native notifications, it seems it's supporting it now.

Top Bottom