• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Drifters

So my Nexus 4 is breaking, and I decided that it might be time for a new phone. Problem is that a lot of the latest phones are releasing sometime within the next couple months, but I don't think my phone can survive for that long. I'm wondering what the best Android phone is for a budget of around $300.

Moto E. Seriously, Moto E.

Wreav

Banned
Ugh, people that force any ecosystem down others throats are the worst. Why is your life impacted by the decision that anyone else makes.

Moto E 2015 has a garbage camera and shit tier screen resolution but for that price it's an awesome backup phone until you can get something better.

Samsung is essentially pushing people that liked their features to LG, LG has "exclusive" on replaceable battery+microSD in a flagship right now, hope it works out for them.

when my mom calls me in a few months to ask what phone to get, i'm gonna tell her to get a Note 4 or an LG G4 if it's out and not too hot.

when my mom calls me in a few months to ask what phone to get, i'm gonna tell her to get a Note 4 or an LG G4 if it's out and not too hot.
real talk tho, if the note 5 follows the trend of the S6, what will you switch to after the Note 4? Is LG your second option? What if LG does the same? What's third for you?

I NEED TO KNOW

With phones being pretty lackluster last year, I'm not really sure what to get either. I usually buy one of the phones that came out the previous year (Lumia 920 in 2013, Nexus 5 in 2014). But 2014 was pretty bad in terms of phones (compared to the N5). I really don't see anything I could buy this year, but I'm not sure how long I'll put up with the N5 battery either. Microsoft botched last year as well, so no going back to Windows Phone either (not that I'd really want to). What's worse is that this year looks pretty bad as well, so even 2016 might suck for me.

But who knows, maybe Google will release another Nexus phone this year, after skipping 2014.

With phones being pretty lackluster last year, I'm not really sure what to get either. I usually buy one of the phones that came out the previous year (Lumia 920 in 2013, Nexus 5 in 2014). But 2014 was pretty bad in terms of phones (compared to the N5). I really don't see anything I could buy this year, but I'm not sure how long I'll put up with the N5 battery either. Microsoft botched last year as well, so no going back to Windows Phone either (not that I'd really want to). What's worse is that this year looks pretty bad as well, so even 2016 might suck for me.

But who knows, maybe Google will release another Nexus phone this year, after skipping 2014.

Quick, where's bacon?

I skipped 2014 (in terms of android) as well. Hoping this year is different. We're only 2 phones in but tbh I was never going to get any of them anyway. Same with LG. But there's still some potentially interesting things. Plenty to gooooooooooooo.

j-wood

Google needs to stop this slow rollout bullshit. My nexus 6 needs 5.1 and I REALLY need the play music update to fix some really annoying bugs.

Avixph

Samsung is essentially pushing people that liked their features to LG, LG has "exclusive" on replaceable battery+microSD in a flagship right now, hope it works out for them.
What if LG follows Samsung and removes the ability to remove battery and expand memory?

3phemeral

I love Swappa, I constantly recommend it. You can get a mint 2013 Moto X for $150. (No tax, free shipping!)

http://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-unlocked
http://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-att

It's better than the Moto E, even 18 months after release.

I bought a Note 2 from Swappa about a year ago that was listed as a clean contract and sale only to have the phone's service canceled by T-Mobile. Thankfully, the former owner was complicit in fixing things (apparently, T-Mobile said his account activity was suspicious, but confirmed he paid it off in full). Despite that, T-Mobile's tech representative flat-out stated "we don't trust this user and don't guarantee that it won't be cancelled in the near future."

Fatalah

I bought a Note 2 from Swappa about a year ago that was listed as a clean contract and sale only to have the phone's service canceled by T-Mobile. Thankfully, the former owner was complicit in fixing things (apparently, T-Mobile said his account activity was suspicious, but confirmed he paid it off in full). Despite that, T-Mobile's tech representative flat-out stated "we don't trust this user and don't guarantee that it won't be cancelled in the near future."

Sounds like a weird T-Mobile issue...

3phemeral

Sounds like a weird T-Mobile issue...

Yeah, it was a hassle, too, considering the original owner had a weirdly different work schedule than mine. Not sure if any other carriers do this, but I suppose lesson learned is never buy a T-Mobile phone from Swappa? Doesn't seem like Swappa can guarantee anything that T-Mobile has the final decision on.

Fatalah

Yeah, it was a hassle, too, considering the original owner had a weirdly different work schedule than mine. Not sure if any other carriers do this, but I suppose lesson learned is never buy a T-Mobile phone from Swappa? Doesn't seem like Swappa can guarantee anything that T-Mobile has the final decision on.

Swappa requires all ESN numbers to be clean, you can check before purchasing too. http://swappa.com/esn

npa189

Google needs to stop this slow rollout bullshit. My nexus 6 needs 5.1 and I REALLY need the play music update to fix some really annoying bugs.

Sideload the OTA, it fixed all my problems so far. WiFi is reliable now, and the phone is much faster overall, battery life is better too. Rollouts are the one thing I can't stand about Android, but if you do a little homework you can update on your terms.

Quasar

The amount of Nexus owners in here who won't flash an update...

Download the Wugfresh Nexus Toolkit and have some fun!

Well at least for me, a minor update like this I can wait. Now 5.0 I flashed day one.

Of course I don't know if Google has even released a 5.1 image for the n4 yet.

Note 4 is a 3 year phone. I can feel it!

Even Note 2 is getting Lollipop.

My Note II is going to be a 3 year phone by the time the Note 5 comes out.

I really hope Samsung doesn't mess with the Note the way they changed the S to be like iPhones. I'm sure the Samsung Galaxy i6 will sell pretty well because it's now metal and glass, but ditching the microSD slot was a dick move motivated purely by the insane profits Apple makes by charging so much money for storage capacity upgrades.

Quasar

I really hope Samsung doesn't mess with the Note the way they changed the S to be like iPhones. I'm sure the Samsung Galaxy i6 will sell pretty well because it's now metal and glass, but ditching the microSD slot was a dick move motivated purely by the insane profits Apple makes by charging so much money for storage capacity upgrades.

I expect they will...just to chase the thinness and battery life advantages that in theory offers.

Sid

Sammy needs their 6 plus,probably gonna fuck with the Note line as well if the S6 meets their expectations

Top Bottom