• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Sanjuro

It's unfounded because HTC redeemed themselves with the M7 and M8. I had the Evo 3D, which wasn't too far off from the Thunderbolt, and I swore off HTC after that, but I ended up getting the One M7 by chance and I'm really glad I did. In terms of just the phones themselves, HTC bitch-slapped their competitors with the M7 and M8.

The Thunderbolt had a glitch where it would send a text message randomly to any person on your contact list.

AGAIN...

...a glitch where it sent ANY message to ANYONE on your list in no specific order. They never fixed this properly.

That is just one of the many awful things HTC did.

HTC didn't even bitch slap the superior S5 (outside aesthetics). Which is what I'm rolling with now, so they have some work to do.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The Thunderbolt had a glitch where it would send a text message randomly to any person on your contact list.

AGAIN...

...a glitch where it sent ANY message to ANYONE on your list in no specific order. They never fixed this properly.

That is just one of the many awful things HTC did.

Ok?

Doesn't change the fact that the M7 and M8 are the best phones of the last two years and, as a result, your hesitation based off of your experience of a 4 year old phone is unfounded.

Sanjuro

Ok?

Doesn't change the fact that the M7 and M8 are the best phones of the last two years and, as a result, your hesitation based off of your experience of a 4 year old phone is unfounded.

Outside looks, how is the M8 better than the S5?

Camera? No.
Re-moveable battery? No.
Battery life? No.
Screen quality? No.
Stock Android? No.

GSG Flash

Outside looks, how is the M8 better than the S5?

Camera? No.
Re-moveable battery? No.
Battery life? No.
Screen quality? No.
Stock Android? No.

The only one I'll give you is camera.

Removable battery? Subjective, I don't care and neither do the vast majoirty of smartphone buyers.

Battery life? They're both pretty damn close, and, according to GSMArena, the M8 battery life beats the S5 in web browsing. Not giving you this one.

Screen quality? Totally disagree with you, I prefer HTC's super LCD over Samsung's super AMOLED. Plus, the M8 has a higher pixel density. Not giving you this one either (the M8 wins this IMO)

Stock Android? lol wut? Are you out of your mind? Since when does the S5 have stock Android? Samsung's old Touchwiz is by far more offensive than HTC's sense. Ironically, the M8 had a GPE, whereas the S5 never did. (HTC wins this one as well)

And let's not mention that the M8's speakers destroy the S5's.

Sanjuro

The only one I'll give you is camera.

Removable battery? Subjective, I don't care and neither do the vast majoirty of smartphone buyers.

Battery life? They're both pretty damn close, and, according to GSMArena, the M8 battery life beats the S5 in web browsing. Not giving you this one.

Screen quality? Totally disagree with you, I prefer HTC's super LCD over Samsung's super AMOLED. Plus, the M8 has a higher pixel density. Not giving you this one either (the M8 wins this IMO)

Stock Android? lol wut? Are you out of your mind? Since when does the S5 have stock Android? Samsung's old Touchwiz is by far more offensive than HTC's sense. Ironically, the M8 had a GPE, whereas the S5 never did. (HTC wins this one as well)

And let's not mention that the M8's speakers destroy the S5's.

...it sounds like your responses are...unfounded!

Jesus.

Sanjuro

Says the guy who listed stock Android as a postive over the M8...

Aesthetics and speakers win. Everything else you said is a lie.

I didn't list it as a positive. Sense and Touchwiz are both neither stock. Wash. I rather have neither.

I had those two devices and the LG G3, and the HTC device was by far the worse in all categories in the take home.

Sanjuro

Again, you listed stock Android as a win for the S5 over the M8, you really have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Most people agree with my points anyways
(including the superior display on the M8)

I do have an idea what I'm talking about.

And, no I didn't. Why are you bringing fanboy shit into a fucking Android device? HTC has a spotty track record.

HTC makes a sexy phone that rivals iPhone in terms of appearance. Outside that, eh. All the power to you.

Sanjuro

Did someone just say the M8 has a better screen than the S5?

Fucking loooooooool!

The only comparison I had was the G3 and S5. G3 was fucking beautiful at high brightness. S5 had very natural looking colors for videos. That was pretty much the choice I had to make, and went with the S5.

M8 just trailed everywhere.

Doesn't even matter now, because the next war of phones are about to happen in the coming months.

GSG Flash

I do have an idea what I'm talking about.

And, no I didn't. Why are you bringing fanboy shit into a fucking Android device? HTC has a spotty track record.

HTC makes a sexy phone that rivals iPhone in terms of appearance. Outside that, eh. All the power to you.

Fanboy shit? Typical deflection. Maybe you missed all my posts from the last page? The only one bringing in "fanboy shit" is yourself. And no, you're absolutely clueless as evidenced by your stock Android point.

Did someone just say the M8 has a better screen than the S5?

Fucking loooooooool!

Yes, I thought it was pretty common knowledge:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/S...s-vs-One-M8-vs-Note-3-vs-Nexus-5-vs-G2_id3652

The M8's screen beat the S5 in every metric except viewing angles.

Sanjuro

Fanboy shit? Typical deflection. Maybe you missed all my posts from the last page? The only one bringing in "fanboy shit" is yourself. And no, you're absolutely clueless as evidenced by your stock Android point.

...you keep saying this like I made it a mission. My point was neither of the devices feature this. Anyone one championing Sense, or Touchwiz, or whatever the hell Sony has is wrong. There is no better. There is stock, and not.

Also, you are clinging to a "phonearena.com" article for any sort of validation. Jesus.

Sanjuro

Do we know if LG G3 will get the 5.1 update?

I don't see why any of these devices won't. Verizon has been...strangely quick to the punch with updates as well.

Just imagine all of the new devices will get priority as usual. 5.0 seemed to be the bigger get for these companies.

Wow we're going backwards in almost every department. It's definitely a #SkipYear.

No we're not. SD cards are getting old and falling behind in speed compared to modern built-in storage.

0I7TDeL.jpg

They were necessary back when built-in storage was limited to 8/16gb because that would fill up very quickly. Now that 32gb built-in storage is becoming a normal standard there's no reason to include one and hurt the user experience. And as much as you'd like to think differently, the vast majority of people don't need to have 100+gb of music and photos on their device. And if they do want all-time access they can put it in the cloud.

It's modern manufacturing for modern times. If user requirements increase in the future for some reason and built-in storage can't keep up then the'll start putting external storage drives back in.

markot

Banned
No we're not. SD cards are getting old and falling behind in speed compared to modern built-in storage.

0I7TDeL.jpg

They were necessary back when built-in storage was limited to 8/16gb because that would fill up very quickly. Now that 32gb built-in storage is becoming a normal standard there's no reason to include one and hurt the user experience. And as much as you'd like to think differently, the vast majority of people don't need to have 100+gb of music and photos on their device. And if they do want all-time access they can put it in the cloud.

It's modern manufacturing for modern times. If user requirements increase in the future for some reason and built-in storage can't keep up then the'll start putting external storage drives back in.

You don't need fast cards for music and photos and videos....

And the cloud isn't reliable for most people. That's why they use sd cards. And with the increasing size of apps these days, now I have music and apps and photos and videos to worry about.

The vast majority don't need 4g either. But its nice to have eh?

Wreav

Banned
LG will dominate the market and we'll all be exposed for blind fools *_*

Whoever buys a Note 4 for $500 should be in jail for burglary. Look at what I've just been GRACED with.

Wish I could have gotten $500 for mine...

And the cloud isn't reliable for most people. That's why they use sd cards. And with the increasing size of apps these days, now I have music and apps and photos and videos to worry about.

The vast majority don't need 4g either. But its nice to have eh?

Dumb generalizations, dumb generalizations everywhere!

0I7TDeL.jpg

What if I don't want to pay an extra $300 for extra storage like what Apple charges?

I don't need SSD-like speed internal storage to store music for God's sakes. A 64GB microSD is like $50, compared to the Apple Tax on the 128GB iPhone 6/6+.

32GB internal storage was too small for me like 4 years ago when I had a Galaxy Nexus. A phone with non-expandable 32GB storage is a straight-up joke in this day and age, and I refuse to pay the Apple Tax for a 128GB storage device. Give me a fucking microSD slot and I can expand my storage as much as I like and do it for way less money, plus when I move to my next phone I just pop the microSD card out of my old phone and put it in my new phone instead of waiting 6 hours to slowly and agonizingly transfer 30+ GB of music over a fucking USB 2.0 connection.

seeds already being laid... at my cousin's baby shower, my mom's battery was pretty low near the end... i told her she should get a Note 4 since it has such good battery life.... "but what about the S6?" 'the battery is the same as your GS4, you could get a GS5, that has better battery life ......... -_- ....... but not as good as the Note 4'

0I7TDeL.jpg

the vast majority of people would be perfectly fine with an 8GB iPhone 5C. when it comes to what i want from a phone, fuck every last one of those people.

What if I don't want to pay an extra $300 for extra storage like what Apple charges?

Then buy a cheaper mid-tier phone and not a flagship where the company is trying to maintain the highest possible performance.

I don't need SSD-like speed internal storage to store music for God's sakes. A 64GB microSD is like $50, compared to the Apple Tax on the 128GB iPhone 6/6+.

And like I said, most people don't care about storing massive amounts of music on their phone, that's why streaming services are so popular, and why Apple made an iPhone with 16gb storage, and why people still bought it.

the vast majority of people would be perfectly fine with an 8GB iPhone 5C. when it comes to what i want from a phone, fuck every last one of those people.

Sorry but companies usually don't try to design their products around what niche groups. Bad for sales, you know?

seeds already being laid... at my cousin's baby shower, my mom's battery was pretty low near the end... i told her she should get a Note 4 since it has such good battery life.... "but what about the S6?" 'the battery is the same as your GS4, you could get a GS5, that has better battery life ......... -_- ....... but not as good as the Note 4'.

LOL I had almost this exact conversation with my mom. She bought an S5 some time in late February. I told her she wasted her money since the S6 will be revealed soon. She sent it back. Just a few days ago she asked me if she should buy the S6 and I told her the S5 was fine xD

Recommended an iPhone though. Hopefully no more asking me to "fix" simple things :x

Has this been posted? Samsung commits to premium designs and high-res screens across its range. Bye bye Note 5 :'(

Quasar

And like I said, most people don't care about storing massive amounts of music on their phone, that's why streaming services are so popular, and why Apple made an iPhone with 16gb storage, and why people still bought it.

I'd fit in that camp, though I'm unwilling to pay $1000 for a phone, unless it gives me daily blowjobs.

I have had a 16GB N4 more or less since launch and I've rarely hit up against the storage limit. Streaming audio (the only media type I use on my phone) suits me fine for the most part.

Avixph

LOL I had almost this exact conversation with my mom. She bought an S5 some time in late February. I told her she wasted her money since the S6 will be revealed soon. She sent it back. Just a few days ago she asked me if she should buy the S6 and I told her the S5 was fine xD

Recommended an iPhone though. Hopefully no more asking me to "fix" simple things :x

Has this been posted? Samsung commits to premium designs and high-res screens across its range. Bye bye Note 5 :'(
How does that mean that the Note 5 would be gone?

So my iPhone 5c busted and I'm looking to dip my toes into Android again. I'm thinking about the Moto E but it just seems so underspecced to me.

Are there any models I should be looking for that I could grab on ebay for fairly cheap? The closer to stock the better

So my iPhone 5c busted and I'm looking to dip my toes into Android again. I'm thinking about the Moto E but it just seems so underspecced to me.

Are there any models I should be looking for that I could grab on ebay for fairly cheap? The closer to stock the better

Get a Moto X 2013

NotBacon

Depends on how high your expectations are. Moto G and Moto X 2013 are both nice.

LG G2 is pretty cheap I think.

manfestival

its amazing as to how many good options there in the phone market nowadays. I guess the age of the quadcore processor really was something special

Top Bottom