• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

manfestival

What good options? I feel like there aren't any which blows my mind in 2015.

I guess that depends on perspective and your carrier I suppose but the midrange is full of capable phones. I think the biggest problem with my moto g is the lack of ram. Other than that, the phone is very capable most of the time. The list of capable phones is constantly growing too

thats not even going into the flagships

Jzero

But a flagship would? Come on... troll harder.

All i'm saying is that a lower end phone is going to have a harder time making an Apple user switch than a better phone. I sold my Nexus 5 to a friend and he wanted to go back to his shitty broken iPhone 4. If i would have wanted to sell him a Moto E he would have said "fuck that"

Drifters

All i'm saying is that a lower end phone is going to have a harder time making an Apple user switch than a better phone. I sold my Nexus 5 to a friend and he wanted to go back to his shitty broken iPhone 4. If i would have wanted to sell him a Moto E he would have said "fuck that"

value is king honestly. unlocked, any gsm carrier, 4G LTE, timely updates, moto features, "all-day battery" micro-SD... I mean hell, it makes the Nexus 5 look like shit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung only does well when they straight up copy Apple. First it was in looks, now it's in design. Good work, Samsung.

Schlep

Haven't read back through the thread. Has anyone brought up issues with Android Device Manager once on lollipop? I've tried the clear Google Play Services reactivate ADM trick, but it still doesn't show up.

Why not just get a real DAC, or DAP with a high quality DAC? FiiO X1 is only like $99.

Sure, do you want to carry that in your pocket with you everywhere you go in addition to your phone? No? Didn't think so. Nobody wants to do that, which is why phones replaced iPods in the first place.

People hated carrying cameras with them all the time too, which is why phones have also largely replaced point-and-shoot cameras. These days if you are taking casual photos, you use your phone. Beyond that, you strap a big DSLR around your neck or carry a fancy mirrorless. Same reason.

Jzero

So I turned on Miracast on my Nexus 6 so I can use it with my Fire TV Stick. I can't believe Google disables it by default.

j-wood

So Google just posted a new 5.1 factory image. LMY47E. Did I screw up by flashing the OTA LMY47D? I'm using my Motorola purchased nexus 6 on Verizon.

Really confused on why there are 2 5.1 images/builds.

NotBacon

Sure, do you want to carry that in your pocket with you everywhere you go in addition to your phone? No? Didn't think so. Nobody wants to do that, which is why phones replaced iPods in the first place.

I thought you might be pairing it with a pair of audiophile headphones to actually take advantage of the DAC. In which case portability goes out the window.

How much to purchase you to carry it around for me?

5 dollar

So for oneplus owners the lollipop update for cyanogen will come out OTA on March 30 and Oxygen OS will be out March 27.

Also that free Moto E deal is ridiculous.

Saiyan-Rox

So for oneplus owners the lollipop update for cyanogen will come out OTA on March 30 and Oxygen OS will be out March 27.

Also that free Moto E deal is ridiculous.

Took em long enough funny how oxygen is ready before it too XD although I can't see oxygen launching with much added to it from stock but id like to be wrong.

A new factory image for 5.1 is out for the N6? Do we have a changelog for this? :S (NVM seems it has nothing but a new radio for you US folk)

Hasney

Took em long enough funny how oxygen is ready before it too XD although I can't see oxygen launching with much added to it from stock but id like to be wrong.

A new factory image for 5.1 is out for the N6? Do we have a changelog for this? :S (NVM seems it has nothing but a new radio for you US folk)

It's just the Verizon variant apparently according to Android Police. Likely to be merged next update.

Gonna wait and see if any bugs arise. Staying on CM11 til then. Between two seperate updates, I'm hoping of them is stable enough to upgrade to.

Saiyan-Rox

It's just the Verizon variant apparently according to Android Police. Likely to be merged next update.

Aye that's what I read too ah well not gonna bother with it. has Cyanogen had any luck with 5.1 and flashing ROMS? since 5.1 didn't fix my sound issues I see no reason to remain on stock anymore for the moment.

Gonna wait and see if any bugs arise. Staying on CM11 til then. Between two seperate updates, I'm hoping of them is stable enough to upgrade to.

problem being if there is any bugs in CM12 the likely hood of them being fixed is small since this is the last update from them isn't it?

j-wood

I'm thinking about flashing the new version of 5.1, but I'm wondering, does the wipe and subsequent flash screw with the activation/deactivation of play music? I know you can only have 10 devices activated, but there is also that deactivation limit now...

And yep, I've already hit the deactivation limit. Well this sucks.

Is there a way to turn of location for specific apps in Lollipop, or is it an all-or-nothing deal?

You want certain apps to stop accessing the GPS, or you want to turn GPS off when you launch certain apps? Don't think you can do the former*, and you have to be rooted to do the latter automatically. >_>

*I just checked and there seems to be apps which allow you to turn on and off certain app permissions. Search "app ops" in the Play Store (you have to be rooted). Can't vouch for the effectiveness of this though, it sounds app-breaking.

Wreav

Banned
My pinky is exhausted from holding the N6 for 20 minutes. The Note 4 form factor really is GOAT, as far as phablets go.

Hasney

My pinky is exhausted from holding the N6 for 20 minutes. The Note 4 form factor really is GOAT, as far as phablets go.

What in the hell are you doing with your pinky? Nothing has happened with mine. Do you need some exercises to help?

Wreav

Banned
What in the hell are you doing with your pinky? Nothing has happened with mine. Do you need some exercises to help?

I hold my phone like this. It's not bad for smaller/lighter phones.

Pinky-640x359.jpg

j-wood

Anyone notice how Play Music sounds better on lollipop than Spotify? I wonder if it's because the play music app is taking better advantage of the hardware or something. Think I'm switching back.

Top Bottom