• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
Anyone notice how Play Music sounds better on lollipop than Spotify? I wonder if it's because the play music app is taking better advantage of the hardware or something. Think I'm switching back.

In no world does Play Music sound better than Spotify. Spotify is pushing a much higher bitrate with a much wider range.

Mindwipe

You want certain apps to stop accessing the GPS, or you want to turn GPS off when you launch certain apps? Don't think you can do the former*, and you have to be rooted to do the latter automatically. >_>

*I just checked and there seems to be apps which allow you to turn on and off certain app permissions. Search "app ops" in the Play Store (you have to be rooted). Can't vouch for the effectiveness of this though, it sounds app-breaking.

It's not app breaking, they get a null return.

However, Google broke it in Android 4.4 so you need root now.

Husker86

In no world does Play Music sound better than Spotify. Spotify is pushing a much higher bitrate with a much wider range.

Isn't the max bitrate for Spotify 320kbps?

Whatever the bitrate on high quality setting on Play Music is...it sure eats up a lot of data!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Even on the Nexus 6? Play Music is noticeably louder in my car over Bluetooth, and the base hits harder.
I think it depends on bit rate. I find that play music is worse at lower bit rate. Noticeably so. And loudness is not quality.

j-wood

I think it depends on bit rate. I find that play music is worse at lower bit rate. Noticeably so. And loudness is not quality.

True, but I don't want to have to listen at max volume. I had spotify set to extreme quality and play music set to normal.

Dobsie

I'm thinking about flashing the new version of 5.1, but I'm wondering, does the wipe and subsequent flash screw with the activation/deactivation of play music? I know you can only have 10 devices activated, but there is also that deactivation limit now...

And yep, I've already hit the deactivation limit. Well this sucks.

Ah what! Deactivation limit, thats bullshit for constant rom flashers like me.

jesalr

Lol...... don't do that?
jobsemail.jpg

Wreav

Banned
And you can only deactivate 4 devices per year.

You guys are shocked that Google has some stupid, arbitrary limitation on one of their services?

4 hour impressions of the N6: this thing is way too fucking big, but great otherwise. Hopefully my D-Brand leather skin shows up soon, I need some grip on this monster.

NotBacon

You guys are shocked that Google has some stupid, arbitrary limitation on one of their services?

4 hour impressions of the N6: this thing is way too fucking big, but great otherwise. Hopefully my D-Brand leather skin shows up soon, I need some grip on this monster.

Yeah without a skin it's a slippery son-of-a-bitch. Premium, but the slippery king. Also, give it a week, everything else becomes toddler-sized and inferior.

Mindwipe

All music cloud library services have this limit, it's a requirement from the music labels.

However, it's not relevant, as when Google brought in the limit they also fixed the fact that refreshing the device doesn't count as another device. It uses the IMEI to determine if the handset is registered.

Dobsie

All music cloud library services have this limit, it's a requirement from the music labels.

However, it's not relevant, as when Google brought in the limit they also fixed the fact that refreshing the device doesn't count as another device. It uses the IMEI to determine if the handset is registered.
Ah cool, so I can flash ROMs to my hearts content and it won't use up all my authorisations?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dear Google,

Stop making your music pick of the week be not good and cost 99 cents. Go back to the awesome freebies!

PS: Shout out to Jim, AJ, Jerry, Nick, British Nick, Adam, Adam, Other Kev, Naj, Matt, David, Carl, Robbie, Six, Lenny, Miggy, Christian, Jax, Steven, Andrew, Max, Jason, Josh, Scott, Tiss, and Justin!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Google won't force a high bitrate, they prefer to keep your music uninterrupted, often resulting in their quite shitty "normal" quality, which sounds like a 128kbps MP3.

That's different from what you claimed though.

And I'm able to force my stream quality to high on the Play Music app (which, of course, results in higher data usage and more buffering on a slower connection).

Google won't force a high bitrate, they prefer to keep your music uninterrupted, often resulting in their quite shitty "normal" quality, which sounds like a 128kbps MP3.

You can force whatever is the highest though.

You can pin radios and playlists for offline listening. Highly recommended.

Apt101

Are there default logging locations in Android? I can't install any of the new apk's I've downloaded via the Humble Bundle - returning error "app not installed" without any additional info. I'm using a Nvidia Shield tablet which I think is pretty much vanilla Android (5.0.1). I poked around but didn't see anything obvious like /var/log/.

Reckoner

Guys, I just changed to Opera as main browser. Am I going to miss something? So far I'm really enjoying tablet mode and the jump up and down arrows.

obin_gam

Just got lollipop on my z3c.
I miss the old one.
How do I remove widgets on the lockscreen?
And also it seems several services are unavailable in settongs now. The fuck?
Also, something is wrong with the Google play. It wants to update but wont.
Also Silent Mode? Is it removed completely? What if Im in the cinema or church or wherever?

MarkusRJR

What's the deal with Motorola? They used to be the king of putting out OS updates on time, yet here I am with a Moto G 2nd generation and I am stuck in 4.4. I could sort of understand if it was their last generation product, but this is their current model.

Also, random question: I moved over from Windows Phone but I can't find a way to sync over my contacts that are attached to my MS account (which is my Outlook email). I tried using the Outlook app but I can't find anyway to connect it with the People app. Should I use the 'meh' AOSP email app? I'd prefer not to, but if I have to to get my contacts/calendar synced I don't really have much of a choice.

3phemeral

What's the deal with Motorola? They used to be the king of putting out OS updates on time, yet here I am with a Moto G 2nd generation and I am stuck in 4.4. I could sort of understand if it was their last generation product, but this is their current model.

Also, random question: I moved over from Windows Phone but I can't find a way to sync over my contacts that are attached to my MS account (which is my Outlook email). I tried using the Outlook app but I can't find anyway to connect it with the People app. Should I use the 'meh' AOSP email app? I'd prefer not to, but if I have to to get my contacts/calendar synced I don't really have much of a choice.
There should be a way to export your contacts as csv, then you can import that csv file into gmail contacts. If you can't find it via you phone app, try doing it via outlook.com.

[edit]

Go here, select all contacts, then click on manage, then Export to Outlook and other services. It will prompt you to save a csv file. Then go to Google Contacts, then click "import" on the left-hand side of the menu and upload your recently downloaded csv.

NotBacon

Are there default logging locations in Android? I can't install any of the new apk's I've downloaded via the Humble Bundle - returning error "app not installed" without any additional info. I'm using a Nvidia Shield tablet which I think is pretty much vanilla Android (5.0.1). I poked around but didn't see anything obvious like /var/log/.

Hook up your device to a computer and use adb logcat to watch a real-time log. You can filter if you want, and ctrl-c after your error happens to halt it so you can analyze the messages.

They updated like 2 devices ahead of everyone else a year ago and that made them king?

Also try hooking up your Outlook.com email in the Gmail app. Super easy and I'm pretty sure I saw an option to sync contacts. Or you could export somehow, then import into Google Contacts like 3phemeral said.

Milpool

Yeah without a skin it's a slippery son-of-a-bitch...

I hear this a lot, I got the white one and it's not slippy at all. I have dropped it on several occasions because I forget to give it a wide berth however, so it's always catching on things.

Yay, finally glad to have ARHD 40.3 with the new Sense 7. But I don't know if I want to make the jump to the M9 right now. Switching from the M7 to the M8 was great but the M9 doesn't seem THAT much different.

Eh, I dunno. Might wait for the M10.

How did people like the Nexus 6? Any idea what's coming next?

Top Bottom