• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

Yay, finally glad to have ARHD 40.3 with the new Sense 7. But I don't know if I want to make the jump to the M9 right now. Switching from the M7 to the M8 was great but the M9 doesn't seem THAT much different.

Eh, I dunno. Might wait for the M10.

How did people like the Nexus 6? Any idea what's coming next?

Well, the M9 could act as a portable hand warmer too.... Or fuse itself to your skin.

Nexus 6 is fantastic. Love the big screen and the 5.1 update has made it even faster.

Mindwipe

Still I do find the limitation weird. Sure, limit how many devices are registered at any one time. But limiting the changes too is just odd to me.

It's intended to stop people getting around the registration limit by constantly changing.

That said, I agree it's not well executed by the labels - most video services are something like one change a month, which is a bit more usable.

gcubed

Google won't force a high bitrate, they prefer to keep your music uninterrupted, often resulting in their quite shitty "normal" quality, which sounds like a 128kbps MP3.

Why do you keep saying this? Go in and change your default bitrate and quit doubling down on wrong things

Wreav

Banned
Why do you keep saying this? Go in and change your default bitrate and quit doubling down on wrong things

I can't tell you how much I've pounded on Play Music. It is what it is. "Forcing" high bitrate doesn't do shit for me in low bandwidth situations.

gcubed

I can't tell you how much I've pounded on Play Music. It is what it is. "Forcing" high bitrate doesn't do shit for me in low bandwidth situations.

Do you have it changed for mobile? In low bandwidth situations I just don't get music, I get to buffer forever.

Wreav

Banned
If by "changed for mobile" you mean open the mobile app and pick high quality, yes.

In fairness, I am really sensitive to sub 160kbps bitrate, and notice things other people don't sometimes. I'm probably being nitpicky, but in my experience, Spotify's "normal" quality never sounds offensive.

Saiyan-Rox

just off from live chat with motorola about my N6 issues after someone on XDA couldn't replicate anything I had wrong with my sounds.

Only troubleshooting they wanted me to do was run the phone in safe mode xD then told me I could send the device to a repair centre and i'd be phoneless for over a week.....pfffft

Gonna maybe take a run up to carphone warehouse and show them the issues hopefully they can do something about it although I can see me being phoneless for a bit regardless

Wreav

Banned
Turns out that tramp stamp is easily removable with a paperclip.

DAp6raI.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the Xperia Z2 a good alternative to the Z3? Seems like I can save money and not really lose much, if anything on specs, and they both look great. Don't care about remoteplay (I think) - have a vita and pstv

No one cares about GPE prior, current or future. Honestly the "best" Android experience you could get would be a Developer version of the M7, M8 or M9 with Sense. The under the hood kernel tweaks and battery optimization is insane.

I loved how everyone bitched and moaned and wanted stock on their OEM phones and Google made them and still no one bought them.

Drifters

I loved how everyone bitched and moaned and wanted stock on their OEM phones and Google made them and still no one bought them.

Stock is nice on tablets but not phones... not so much. Having had the Nexus 4 it was OK but Cyanogen was a must since stock had so many short comings.

Mindwipe

Is the Xperia Z2 a good alternative to the Z3? Seems like I can save money and not really lose much, if anything on specs, and they both look great. Don't care about remoteplay (I think) - have a vita and pstv

Reasonably. Power isn't massively different, I think the screen isn't supposed to be as good, case is ugly but YMMV.

The Z2 has (or is getting, is it in Lollipop?) PS4 remote play anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reasonably. Power isn't massively different, I think the screen isn't supposed to be as good, case is ugly but YMMV.

The Z2 has (or is getting, is it in Lollipop?) PS4 remote play anyway.

Just looking for something to tide me over this year. Will get a new work phone next year (and hopefully manufacturers will do something interesting rather than warm stuff over), but my nexus 4 is small, slow, lasts about 10 minutes on a full charge and the speaker has started crackling.

So I need something sim-free and don't want to spend more than around £200 if I can help it. Then next year I'll hand it down to one of the kids, or my wife.

Could maybe hang on for the Xperia M4 which looks pretty nice too.

Husker86

I don't think there is any carrier left in the US where taking the subsidized price is a better option over time. I can understand the inability for some to put the entire price of a phone down up front, but if we are talking about 2 years of service payments, taking the subsidy/contract never works out cheaper.

But yeah, GPE failed because people didn't put their money where their mouth was (including me). I did put a GPE ROM on my GS4 for the few months I had it though!

Milpool

just off from live chat with motorola about my N6 issues after someone on XDA couldn't replicate anything I had wrong with my sounds.

Only troubleshooting they wanted me to do was run the phone in safe mode xD then told me I could send the device to a repair centre and i'd be phoneless for over a week.....pfffft

Gonna maybe take a run up to carphone warehouse and show them the issues hopefully they can do something about it although I can see me being phoneless for a bit regardless

Let us know what they say. Just noticed on on mine when the countdown timer goes off it starts crazy loud, suddenly dives to no volume and then slowly ascends again.

Saiyan-Rox

Let us know what they say. Just noticed on on mine when the countdown timer goes off it starts crazy loud, suddenly dives to no volume and then slowly ascends again.

Gonna have to wait now until next week as I didn't manage to get down. just tried that though and it again starts real quiet but then gets damn loud but doesn't go back down.

this is so weird

I'm not sure if this is new or not, but HTC is offering a new service known as "Uh Oh" Protection in which HTC will replace your phone if you do any damage to it including drops, and water damage. Additionally if you don't use the claim you'll receive $100 towards your next HTC One phone. I think this plan is a newer version of the one that allowed you one screen replacement in a year.

Did you expect it to be cheper for some random reason? And if stock was so important then it shouldnt matter.

I certainly didn't and I never cared for it. But you're the one assuming that the people who want stock on flagship phones are also willing to pay unsubsidized prices. Why shouldn't price matter? Of course it does. People are willing to pay a certain amount for the experience they would like to have and maybe a bit more, but there's a limit of course. Most are used to pay through a carrier. I'm sure even here, most users bought their flagships subsidized.

Imagine Disney if would release the original Star Wars movies untouched on BD and ask $150 for each movie. "Well, you wanted it and it's here now. If it's so important to you, then it shouldn't matter that it costs much more than what you're used to pay for a BD, right?". Don't you think people would complain or not buy the movie?

Aticos

You can get Z3 Compact for around £300.

I certainly didn't and I never cared for it. But you're the one assuming that the people who want stock on flagship phones are also willing to pay unsubsidized prices. Why shouldn't price matter? Of course it does. People are willing to pay a certain amount for the experience they would like to have and maybe a bit more, but there's a limit of course. Most are used to pay through a carrier. I'm sure even that here, most users bought their flagships subsi

Imagine Disney if would release the original Star Wars movies untouched on BD and ask $150 for each movie. "Well, you wanted it and it's here now. If it's so important to you, then it shouldn't matter that it costs much more than what you're used to pay for a BD, right?". Don't you think people would complain or not buy the movie?

Um you're paying the same price. It's not more. Your example is terrible. And to counter the other point, people hate 2 year contracts and want to get out of them. yet here we're arguing that the GPE devices don't offer them and that's why they aren't successful? Please. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You honestly think if GPE devices were sold at an AT&T store that the average consumer cares? Or people like us who want to get out of the 2 year contracts care? They would sell like what? 5 more devices?

Wreav

Banned
The N6 is a lovely media consumption device. That screen, those speakers...just watched some episodes of The Jinx, and didn't hate my life like I normally would watching TV on my phone.

I'm still not convinced I own a pair of shorts that will contain this monstrosity.

Um you're paying the same price. It's not more. Your example is terrible. And to counter the other point, people hate 2 year contracts and want to get out of them. yet here we're arguing that the GPE devices don't offer them and that's why they aren't successful? Please. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You honestly think if GPE devices were sold at an AT&T store that the average consumer cares? Or people like us who want to get out of the 2 year contracts care? They would sell like what? 5 more devices?

Again, you said that price shouldn't matter and I disagree with that, saying that price certainly played a role in it. Simple as that. And no, I do not honestly think that GPE devices would've sold a ton at AT&T or T-Mobile. Consumers have shown many times over and over again that they don't care about skins or stock (which makes the amount of people who wanted something like GPE pretty small in the first place). But saying that people who care about stock should suck it up and pay $649, if it's so important to them? I don't think that's what they wanted. They either bought a Nexus 5 for almost half the price or just flashed a GPE rom on their $200 contract phone.

Also, if everyone wants out of two year contracts so badly, then why aren't they doing it? Nothing is stopping them, as far as I know. Phones can be bought unsubsidized, without a contract for ages now. It's not some new, revolutionary movement. Or maybe something is stopping them and I'm not aware of the hurdles of the US market in that regard. If that's the case, then I apologize.

L.O.R.D

there is an HTC conference in Saudi arabia - riyadh
its seems that it will launch next week , i wonder if they solve the problem , maybe i'll dip in for the team
the gold edition is 1 month exclusive to saudi arabia
price is 2799 SR ( $746) for the 32 GB

CAYwHkRVIAIF-xG.jpg

Again, you said that price shouldn't matter and I disagree with that, saying that price certainly played a role in it. Simple as that. And no, I do not honestly think that GPE devices would've sold a ton at AT&T or T-Mobile. Consumers have shown many times over and over again that they don't care about skins or stock (which makes the amount of people who wanted something like GPE pretty small in the first place). But saying that people who care about stock should suck it up and pay $649, if it's so important to them? I don't think that's what they wanted. They either bought a Nexus 5 for almost half the price or just flashed a GPE rom on their $200 contract phone.

Also, if everyone wants out of two year contracts so badly, then why aren't they doing it? Nothing is stopping them, as far as I know. Phones can be bought unsubsidized, without a contract for ages now. It's not some new, revolutionary movement. Or maybe something is stopping them and I'm not aware of the hurdles of the US market in that regard. If that's the case, then I apologize.

Many people wanted (on many blog sites as well as Neogaf) wanted stock versions of the M7 and M8. They came out with one and 5 people bought them. Price only matters in regard to the fact that people hoped and wished they were going to be cheaper than their skinned counterparts. In what world those people lived in I have no clue. Sure the Nexus 5 makes more sense. Of course it does. It's 2/3 the price of a GPE phone with similar specs. But you can't deny that before GPE phones came out, many hardcore Android fans wanted stock versions of OEM devices and ended up not getting one when they came out. What were they magically hoping that the same phone would be 2/3 the price?

The only people who care about no contracts is me, you, and the people in this thread. Your average consumer doesn't care. They just see $200 phone and are like oh man what a cheap phone! Yea they could go in and buy a $650 phone, but most don't because in the US, everyone has the 2 year contract mentality.

Wreav

Banned
there is an HTC conference in Saudi arabia - riyadh
its seems that it will launch next week , i wonder if they solve the problem , maybe i'll dip in for the team
the gold edition is 1 month exclusive to saudi arabia
price is 2799 SR ( $746) for the 32 GB

CAYwHkRVIAIF-xG.jpg

Saudis won't notice the heat, etc

Looks like HTC wants to get destroyed. M9 launching same time as GS6? Lol.

HTC is just waiting for Lenovo to acquire them at this point. If they can crush their own stock value a bit they will be a more delicious acquisition target for somebody, so right now it's all about shooting themselves in both feet as much as possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can get it for £240 on O2 PAYG.

If I can't then unlock it and use it with my work Vodafone SIM, then it's no good to me. Can you do that?

Although I'd prefer the larger screen on the Z3, the comoact would work better as a hand me down, and then I could get the Z4 or whatever next year.

Top Bottom