• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Mindwipe

Seriously, where's 5.1 on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2013). Or even on the Nexus 9.

What are you doing, Google?

I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed with Google for fluffing the launch so bad and their terrible comms or myself for being continually surprised that of course they've screwed it again.

Milpool

Heh another reply from moto about the sounds on my N6...

I'm kinda relieved it's a feature and not a bug so I don't have to deal with CPW, and I can sell it on now knowing I'm not giving someone a dodgy unit. I have no idea what to get instead of it though...

I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed with Google for fluffing the launch so bad and their terrible comms or myself for being continually surprised that of course they've screwed it again.

Not even joking, I trust Samsung more to push Android forward than Google.
I haven't seen anything interesting out of Google since the Nexus 5 was announced.

L.O.R.D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59539032&postcount=22046

Something to calm you guys down a little (and believe me, i'm most glad to hear this too):

My source just recieved an OTA update. Changelog: thermal improvements and camera improvements.

Device now runs aprox. 9-10℃ lower now. Max temp reached now (even while plugged to charger) --> 40℃

Sounds good to me,, way to go htc

what about the "pre-release" hardware ?

Wreav

Banned
Throttling and underclocking. Or they had some runaway bug in their original Sense code that they squashed, but probably the former.

Hasney

I don't get why the 808 wasn't an alternative? Just because it's hexa instead of octa and not 64-bit? Is it that much worse?

It is 64 bit, it's basically a cut down 810 rather than being a faster version of the old architecture.It's likely that it shares similar problems.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
woop. Sold a bunch of my old phones and picked up a Z3 compact for pretty much £0 (thanks to Kharma for highlighting that it was £239 PAYG at O2). Plus I get a free chromecast (which I don't need) and some credit for free TV shows or something.

Now I just need to figure out how to unlock it.

Mindwipe

woop. Sold a bunch of my old phones and picked up a Z3 compact for pretty much £0 (thanks to Kharma for highlighting that it was £239 PAYG at O2). Plus I get a free chromecast (which I don't need) and some credit for free TV shows or something.

O2 contract customers can unlock it without paying as I understand, if they are out of 12 month contract. So maybe you can find someone who can do it for you?

(Also, £250, plus free Chromecast, plus the current bunch of Google Play credit that can be used on the entire store, not just the movie section, is quite a deal.)

vwnut13

Make sure you check out Chromecast Offers to see if you get any good free stuff.

kharma45

There's a fella on eBay with 1000 feedback and a 99.3% rating who will do it for £9.99. If there's anyone you know on Pay Monthly with O2 they can do it for free.

O2 contract customers can unlock it without paying as I understand, if they are out of 12 month contract. So maybe you can find someone who can do it for you?

(Also, £250, plus free Chromecast, plus the current bunch of Google Play credit that can be used on the entire store, not just the movie section, is quite a deal.)

They can do it at any time. The 12 month thing is only for PAYG.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm kinda relieved it's a feature and not a bug so I don't have to deal with CPW, and I can sell it on now knowing I'm not giving someone a dodgy unit. I have no idea what to get instead of it though...

I still have no idea how this is a feature it just sounds to me like its dodgy speakers and they're labeling it as a feature. I love stock android even though I usually use cyanogen or paranoid android and wouldn't know what device to get instead...Ive gotten used to the size of this phone now too.

L.O.R.D

More throttling after the benchmarks? Shocking.

Throttling and underclocking. Or they had some runaway bug in their original Sense code that they squashed, but probably the former.

that what he said

The device shows no signs of gpu throttling. Very consistent. At max temp the cpu gets throttled a little bit, but i guess there's still more than enough power

attachment.php

Aticos

Since the Android 5.0 is coming soon to Xperia Z3 (Which allows to move apps to sd card), I was thinking of getting Samsung 32gb pro micro sd card (95 MB/s) however there is Samsung 64gb evo (48 MB/s) at the same price as the 32gb pro. So my question is: Does Xperia Z3 compact uses full power of Samsung pro micro sd card (95 MB/s)? or should I buy 64 GB evo (48 MB/s).

Why is the Downloads app so worthless? Apparently, only the files I download via Chrome show up in the app? I'm trying to send files over from my comp to my phone via AirDroid. But the files I put in my Downloads folder aren't showing up when I open the Downloads app. It's clearly the correct folder since when I save a file from Chrome, I can see it in both the Downloads app from the phone and also in the Downloads folder from my comp via AirDroid.

I could've sworn this method worked pre-Lollipop. Do I have to grab a separate file explorer to manage files?

Another problem I'm having is whenever I open a file attachment from Gmail, it defaults to a Google Drive preview thing instead of downloading the file to my phone storage like I want. Any way to change that? I'm seeing no settings of any sort in Google Drive.

SimleuqiR

Why is the Downloads app so worthless? Apparently, only the files I download via Chrome show up in the app? I'm trying to send files over from my comp to my phone via AirDroid. But the files I put in my Downloads folder aren't showing up when I open the Downloads app. It's clearly the correct folder since when I save a file from Chrome, I can see it in both the Downloads app from the phone and also in the Downloads folder from my comp via AirDroid.

I could've sworn this method worked pre-Lollipop. Do I have to grab a separate file explorer to manage files?

Another problem I'm having is whenever I open a file attachment from Gmail, it defaults to a Google Drive preview thing instead of downloading the file to my phone storage like I want. Any way to change that? I'm seeing no settings of any sort in Google Drive.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/30719?hl=en

You can chose to save the file. Once downloaded it will show in the Downloads app. But if you just click it, it will open in the built in preview app (which ever that is). If it's a PDF, Drive will take over the preview.

this_guy

Best Buy has the Nexus 6 for $99. Cheaper to buy this with a burner VZW number and pay the ETF than even with that Moto code last week.

You'll still have to pay the activation fee ($35) and monthly service for at least 14 days of service, which they probably prorate the first month and usually make you pay the entire next month even if you cancel before the month is up. After the etf you can probably still save some money but it seems like a lot of hassle.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/30719?hl=en

You can chose to save the file. Once downloaded it will show in the Downloads app. But if you just click it, it will open in the built in preview app (which ever that is). If it's a PDF, Drive will take over the preview.
Ah, I've been working with pdf files so I guess that's why Google Drive kept popping up. Weird that I had a PDF viewer on KitKat but not on Lollipop. Guess I'll try out some PDF readers. Thanks.

Milpool

I still have no idea how this is a feature it just sounds to me like its dodgy speakers and they're labeling it as a feature. I love stock android even though I usually use cyanogen or paranoid android and wouldn't know what device to get instead...Ive gotten used to the size of this phone now too.

I decided to give LiquidSmooth a go since it has this option:

People on XDA claim it works but all sounds including notifications still faded in for me... Maybe it's build dependant.

Interestingly I tried ParanoidAndroid too which has no user sound settings, but notifications and the countdown timer seemed to work perfectly. The ringtone still faded in though.

j-wood

The Nexus 6 5.1 software situation is a mess and Google really needs to clarify what's going on.

They announce 5.1, and someone snags an OTA file LMY47D.

Then Verizon starts selling the Nexus 6 and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47E.

Both of these gets factory images posted to the google developers site. 47E has newer radios, but apparently 47D is continuing to rollout.

Now T-Mobile announces an OTA rollout and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47M. At this point no factory image has been posted for 47M.

So do we now have carrier specific builds for a phone that is supposed to work on all carriers? What's worse is the factory image site has zero description on the builds if in fact 47E is meant for Nexus devices on Verizon, D for Sprint and M for T-Mobile.

Saiyan-Rox

I decided to give LiquidSmooth a go since it has this option:

People on XDA claim it works but all sounds including notifications still faded in for me... Maybe it's build dependant.

Interestingly I tried ParanoidAndroid too which has no user sound settings, but notifications and the countdown timer seemed to work perfectly. The ringtone still faded in though.

Ugh I can't flash other builds of anything while on 5.1 unless they fixed that issue? I think cyanogen just fixed it today. PA I flashed once but now since they're working with OP updates have been slow as hell which is a shame as I love their work.

The Nexus 6 5.1 software situation is a mess and Google really needs to clarify what's going on.

Then Verizon starts selling the Nexus 6 and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47E.

Both of these gets factory images posted to the google developers site. 47E has newer radios, but apparently 47D is continuing to rollout.

Now T-Mobile announces an OTA rollout and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47M. At this point no factory image has been posted for 47M.

So do we now have carrier specific builds for a phone that is supposed to work on all carriers? What's worse is the factory image site has zero description on the builds if in fact 47E is meant for Nexus devices on Verizon, D for Sprint and M for T-Mobile.

Heh when I saw this I thought exactly the same thing apparently the next build will combine them all together and will be one build going forward but it's still confusing none the less.

Groof

The Nexus 6 was a mess from the beginning

Wreav

Banned
The stock build will work on all the carriers, but it appears the baseband is getting tweaked for each carrier with these builds. It's not nearly the big deal you're making it out to be.

Saiyan-Rox

The Nexus 6 was a mess from the beginning

Have to admit its the one nexus device that keeps seeing hate. Apart from the sound thing I love mine.

Personally too I'd like it to be flat and not rounded cause I keep spinning mine when it's on the table in front of me lol

j-wood

The stock build will work on all the carriers, but it appears the baseband is getting tweaked for each carrier with these builds. It's not nearly the big deal you're making it out to be.

You're right, it wouldn't be a big deal if Google would just label each build as such. If 47E has network enhancements for Verizon? Fine, say that. Don't just post them all up with no descriptions because now I have no idea what software my phone should be running.

Before this 47E business hit I put the 47D on my phone and my girlfriends. I flashed for 47E because I didn't care about the wipe, but she will not want to wipe her phone. When the next OTA hits is she going to be able to get that? Or is she tied to some "sprint branch" if carrier builds are true? These are the things that need to be clarified.

Wreav

Banned
Regarding the N6, works great with the Samsung QI charger. I really dig the leather top on the Samsung unit, even if the body style is modeled after the S5 trim (BARF).

Top Bottom