• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

CronoShot

The Nexus 6 5.1 software situation is a mess and Google really needs to clarify what's going on.

They announce 5.1, and someone snags an OTA file LMY47D.

Then Verizon starts selling the Nexus 6 and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47E.

Both of these gets factory images posted to the google developers site. 47E has newer radios, but apparently 47D is continuing to rollout.

Now T-Mobile announces an OTA rollout and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47M. At this point no factory image has been posted for 47M.

So do we now have carrier specific builds for a phone that is supposed to work on all carriers? What's worse is the factory image site has zero description on the builds if in fact 47E is meant for Nexus devices on Verizon, D for Sprint and M for T-Mobile.
Odd. I side loaded the LMY47D build, and I'm getting noticeably better reception on T-Mobile. Wonder what the E and M even do differently then.

Mindwipe

The Nexus 6 5.1 software situation is a mess and Google really needs to clarify what's going on.

They announce 5.1, and someone snags an OTA file LMY47D.

Then Verizon starts selling the Nexus 6 and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47E.

Both of these gets factory images posted to the google developers site. 47E has newer radios, but apparently 47D is continuing to rollout.

Now T-Mobile announces an OTA rollout and uh oh! It has a different build, LMY47M. At this point no factory image has been posted for 47M.

So do we now have carrier specific builds for a phone that is supposed to work on all carriers? What's worse is the factory image site has zero description on the builds if in fact 47E is meant for Nexus devices on Verizon, D for Sprint and M for T-Mobile.

Nexus 6 gets three versions of 5.1, Nexus 7 gets none. Standard Google.

morch

got a moto g 2nd gen in uk. updated to 5.0.2. living in china now. cant use my wifi because its a bad connection (fails to ping google servers for obvious reasons)... but advanced WiFi options has no "ignore poor wifi connection" option like older android.... what a joke...

so any hack to disable this permanent feature?

Not sure if this was posted but some korean press is saying LG is making the next nexus phone:

eToday reports that Google engineers recently visited LG's headquarters and factories in South Korea as part of an upcoming collaboration with the codename 'N000.' That device, the publication claims, will be the next Nexus smartphone, which reportedly also carries the working name "Nexus 7." The Googlers' visit to LG reportedly included locations relating to LG Display and the company's R&D labs, as well as facilities involved in manufacturing wireless charging parts and OIS (optical image stabilization) components for cameras.

If these reports are true, it would be the third Nexus smartphone made by the Korean firm, after the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.

And this is why I'll always call out the nexus 6 on not being a true nexus. Google wasn't involved in the design and overall process and urrthang.

None the less, so we have possibly huawei, possibly LG, and possibly both. Should be interesting.

Toki767

I believe that was the rumor a couple weeks ago, although we didn't know if they were doing a phone or a tablet at the time.

dc89

Flashed Lollipop onto my Z3. It's pretty damn smooth.
I really can't comment on battery life at the moment, but I'm really enjoying everything else. Sony added a silent mode <3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Boy this Z3 compact is teeny tiny. I actually think my wife's M2 looks nicer. The slightly more angular edges suit it better than the rounded ones on the Z3, and it has a larger screen which still looks pretty nice IMO. For a low-mid range phone the M2 is pretty great. Kind of regretting not ponying up for the full Z3, but the price was too good to ignore.

So for those of you on lollipop, None means no notifications or anything at all, right? What happens when you go back to, say, All? Do all the notifications that were being blocked just show up at once or do you never get them?

Hasney

Not sure if this was posted but some korean press is saying LG is making the next nexus phone:

And this is why I'll always call out the nexus 6 on not being a true nexus. Google wasn't involved in the design and overall process and urrthang.

None the less, so we have possibly huawei, possibly LG, and possibly both. Should be interesting.

Plus, the battery lasts a day or more, so it can't be a "true" Nexus

So for those of you on lollipop, None means no notifications or anything at all, right? What happens when you go back to, say, All? Do all the notifications that were being blocked just show up at once or do you never get them?

The notifications show up, they just don't make a sound or vibrate.

Seriously just release a better nexus 5. Better camera better battery. It's not rocket science.

I know it's completely foolish but I feel good this year. I feel confident that between the oneplus 2, nexus 7 phone(s), and moto x 2015. One of them will be really great and worthy of purchase.

Toki767

I imagine LG's next Nexus is basically going to be some 5" QHD screen. And as usual, Google will choose to be cheap on the battery and camera.

Saiyan-Rox

Know I'm getting real sick of opening up the YouTube app and having it say there was a problem with the connection and making me click retry when I haven't used the app in a while -_-

Wreav

Banned
Know I'm getting real sick of opening up the YouTube app and having it say there was a problem with the connection and making me click retry when I haven't used the app in a while -_-

is that the grey error that takes up the whole video portion? got that a ton on shitty wifi router.

It's incredibly annoying. Or how about the glitch where you can't change the video quality even when you tap 1080p? Pisses me off sometimes.
is that the grey error that takes up the whole video portion? got that a ton on shitty wifi router.
I wouldn't be surprised. I need to get a new router.

Gambit61

I thought there was something wrong with my wifi. I've been getting that a lot ever since the recent update.

Noema

I've been getting that all the time too recently.

Wreav

Banned
Happens across both Android and iOS for me equally.

For some reason, I suspect it may happen more if you use Google DNS servers.

Just grabbed a Nexus 9 for work and just opened it for a little preview before tomorrow. Besides the light bleed which was fairly apparent, actually seems like a pretty nice device.

Grabbed it for 250 Like New off Amazon Warehouse, and that seems about the right price.

Now if only everyone with a Kindle Fire would go and buy a one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
$250 for a Nexus 9 is about right.

obin_gam

Flashed Lollipop onto my Z3. It's pretty damn smooth.
I really can't comment on battery life at the moment, but I'm really enjoying everything else. Sony added a silent mode <3
No they havent? Please screenshot where it is cuz i cant find it.

Hasney

Just grabbed a Nexus 9 for work and just opened it for a little preview before tomorrow. Besides the light bleed which was fairly apparent, actually seems like a pretty nice device.

Grabbed it for 250 Like New off Amazon Warehouse, and that seems about the right price.

Now if only everyone with a Kindle Fire would go and buy a one.

Nah, I've got Google Play on my Kindle Fire HDX, so I'm good.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, pull-to-refresh in Chrome has arrived. Could be pretty neat, but it feels like there also needs to be some way to quickly get to the top of a page for it to be useful. Now you have to manually scroll all the way up before you can use it, and by the time you get there you could have just used the regular reload button instead (which is just a matter of long-pressing the menu button now anyway).

andthebeatgoeson

So, pull-to-refresh in Chrome has arrived. Could be pretty neat, but it feels like there also needs to be some way to quickly get to the top of a page for it to be useful. Now you have to manually scroll all the way up before you can use it, and by the time you get there you could have just used the regular reload button instead (which is just a matter of long-pressing the menu button now anyway).
Oh, just realize that. We all need to strengthen our finger muscles to execute the flick of death.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Guys help G3, Z3 compact or M8?

m8 and G3 are massive compared to the Z3 compact (4.6" vs 5" and 5.5") so if you want big, discount the z3 (conversely if you want compact then that's your choice)

For photography the m8 doesn't do so well, so the choice is between G3 and Z3

Hasney

At least he's going out in a blaze of glory.

p6mN0Ra.png

Top Bottom