• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hi everyone I just joined the Android world (well.. A weird very limited version of it) by buying a new Xiaomi Note here in China. Have I just done something really stupid? It seems that the OS is locked. Would it be possible to install regular Android OS on it? The phone looks good and the rear camera is nice. I posted some impressions http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=970487&page=100000#footer
Perhaps you can try rooting it? I'm not sure if it has root access yet. But that would be the way to unlock the OS.

Wreav

Banned
Is it happening though? When does samsung release a new version of touchwiz? I thought it was every year but I don't recall it changing much lately and I haven't seen any rumours of changes.

S6 will be the first phone with ravamped Touchwiz. Note 4 update will have the same look and feel as the 4.4 version.

Wreav

Banned
Those are yet to be confirmed to be legit, but if they were to be real here are some renders, courtosy PhoneArena via SamsungHDBlog, of what the phone might look like based on the leaked chassis pics that you provided.

Obviously, Samsung goes through a fuckton of prototypes, but this matches the case renders from earlier in the week, where you could clearly see the sides had been iPhone-ified.

I'm going to be blunt. This body style is pure sex. I'm still a fan of having a hard home button, and I've always preferred Samsung's back button placement over native.

If the new Touchwiz is as lightweight as they say, I could easily see being swayed to the S6 over the M9.

And no camera hump! Goddammit, I'm going full Sonic right now.

Kind of messed up considering how expensive the phone is. One would think it would get all updates.

You have to consider user experience. Some grandma that picks up a Note 4 would have her world crumble if the 5.1 update took away her blessed Samsung apps and changed the skin dramatically.

Cheebo

Banned
Kind of messed up considering how expensive the phone is. One would think it would get all updates.

They always do this. Note 3 didn't get the Samsungy flat design look that the S5 and Note 4 got despite getting various updates to Kitkat and the like for example. For some reason Samsung never updates previous hardware to new versions of Touchwiz ever, even though they update the main Android OS on them.

I 100% endorse samsung copying apple on hardware design. The iphone 6 is hot as fuck especially around the edges. I think those renders look pretty good.

S6 will be the first phone with ravamped Touchwiz. Note 4 update will have the same look and feel as the 4.4 version.

What's the source on this? I've seriously not read a single thing about a new touchwiz coming this year other than they are looking to possibly redesign it. How has there not been a leak or anything. When do they usually show off new versions of touchwiz.

Wreav

Banned
What's the source on this?

There were multiple articles floating around on it, sorry for BGR but it was the first I found.

http://www.bgr.in/manufacturers/sam...ould-be-as-light-as-stock-android-on-nexus-6/

The new TW is called Project Zero, they're making a massive debloating push. Folks are already reporting that the S5 version of 5.0 is significantly debloated too, from a size standpoint. Project Zero would mostly push Samsung apps to their store instead of being preinstalled.

There were multiple articles floating around on it, sorry for BGR but it was the first I found.

http://www.bgr.in/manufacturers/sam...ould-be-as-light-as-stock-android-on-nexus-6/

The new TW is called Project Zero, they're making a massive debloating push. Folks are already reporting that the S5 version of 5.0 is significantly debloated too, from a size standpoint. Project Zero would mostly push Samsung apps to their store instead of being preinstalled.
I knew that but I just guessed that they were going to update the current touchwiz and just remove some stuff. More of a minor update than a complete re-do. Other than removing some bloat apps I haven't seen a single thing on it. Guess we'll find out in a month.

Maybe they will surprise and the new touchwiz won't look ugly and unnecessary.

Even the little stuff. Like every time I see that phone icon or that piss ugly yellow messaging icon I just -__-. Then other unncessary changes like moving the app grid button to the bottom right. Making the app drawer transparent. Etc etc

Nothing bothers me more than the unnecessary stuff lol. Don't even get me started on the endless list of settings for bullshit features nobody uses.

tzare

I hope Samsung does not copy apple design.Non removable back, huge bezels, camera protruding, metal that can be scratched easily. Really i hope they have their own style. Note 4 looks great for example.

Cheebo

Banned
I hope Samsung does not copy apple design.Non removable back, huge bezels, camera protruding, metal that can be scratched easily. Really i hope they have their own style. Note 4 looks great for example.

There have been enough leaks to pretty safe to assume they are going non-removable battery rounded very thin metallic sort of design.

The problem is the can't stick to their old "own style". Look at how bad they are doing, their phone sales have been falling each quarter for a while. They couldn't stick to what they were doing. Consumers increasingly were no longer interested in it.

Is it happening though? When does samsung release a new version of touchwiz? I thought it was every year but I don't recall it changing much lately and I haven't seen any rumours of changes.

If they don't this time it probably won't ever happen. A brand new huge update to Android should get updated material style icons.

There have been enough leaks to pretty safe to assume they are going non-removable battery rounded very thin metallic sort of design.

The problem is the can't stick to their old "own style". Look at how bad they are doing, their phone sales have been falling each quarter for a while. They couldn't stick to what they were doing. Consumers increasingly were no longer interested in it.

Non removable battery is smart too from a business standpoint. They will force upgrades every two years atleast from people's batteries dying.

NotBacon

and I've always preferred Samsung's back button placement over native.

thumbnail_5715900852943316813.jpg

That's not how Samsung works, and never has been. See Cheebo's comments.

Lol. I want to believe.

abracadaver

whats the best app to download youtube videos as video or mp3?

I used videoder but I has stopped working a few months ago. Google probably blocked them. Is there an alternative?

Sch1sm

Just got the 5.0.2 update pushed to my nexus 7. Should I update ?

It's a really small update. I heard of some lag complaints on the 2012 model, but aside from that it's just minor bug fixes, performance enhancements, and it should fix memory leak iirc.

Ultimately, yeah. Update.

jwk94

My god the music player on the lock screen has been cannibalized. You can't even skip around in a track anymore smh.

I got cyanogenmod 12 lollipop running on my note 2.

2 things. First, it's a billion times better than touchwiz. Second, it's soooo silky smooth much faster than the touchwiz kitkat I was running. It's pretty noticeable.

Very stable over all. No issues thus far.

: D

Don't we get these rumors every year?

I don't know, I've never followed Samsung closely (and still don't).

But look, if Android Police can get rid of their hideous and shit design, so can Samsung, right? Sure, it took them way too long and it looks like a poor rip off the Verge, but it's still miles better than it was before.

Essentially, AP was the Touchwiz of blogs and even they made it. There's no way Samsung is going to drop the ball this time.

E: also, when Samsung started with Touchwiz, it was probably a good idea, because let's not forget how fucking ugly stock Android has been before 4.0.

E2: in other news, Google might fix some annoying shit in 5.1.

"In 5.1 the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth text includes a little arrow pointing down, indicating expandable functionality. Touch the text on an upgraded phone or tablet and you'll open a small list of the closest Wi-Fi networks or Bluetooth devices. This allows you to make or switch connections without leaving your current app. If you need to go to the full settings menu you can tap "more settings," or just hit done when you're, you know, done."

markot

Banned
I don't know, I've never followed Samsung closely (and still don't).

But look, if Android Police can get rid of their hideous and shit design, so can Samsung, right? Sure, it took them way too long and it looks like a poor rip off the Verge, but it's still miles better than it was before.

Essentially, AP was the Touchwiz of blogs and even they made it. There's no way Samsung is going to drop the ball this time.

E: also, when Samsung started with Touchwiz, it was probably a good idea, because let's not forget how fucking ugly stock Android has been before 4.0.

E2: in other news, Google might fix some annoying shit in 5.1.

"In 5.1 the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth text includes a little arrow pointing down, indicating expandable functionality. Touch the text on an upgraded phone or tablet and you'll open a small list of the closest Wi-Fi networks or Bluetooth devices. This allows you to make or switch connections without leaving your current app. If you need to go to the full settings menu you can tap "more settings," or just hit done when you're, you know, done."

AP just copy/pasted The Verge. The Verge loves Apple. Samsung will just copy paste Apple it seems again.

Loxley

If the S6 rumors are true, it looks as though the Note 4 may be the last bastion of Samsung's old design philosophies. Much as I love the Note 4's look and feel, Samsung needs something truly refreshing if they want keep competing with Apple in the high-end market. Who knows if what they're planning will work, I guess we'll see.

Groof

Unrealistic me wants it to hit tonight so I can update before I travel.

Realistic me knows we won't see it until next month.

All I really want from Touchwiz is to look pretty and perform good. It can't be that hard.
it's classic over-designing that designers who simply aren't good but think they are amazing fall for every time.

But I agree. I shit on samsung endlessly but I'm not THAT hard to win over. Reasonably sized device, great hardware/battery, skin that isn't uggo as fuck. You know the hardware will be good. Their bezel game is ok so there's a chance the phone will be sized ok (for 2015 :/). Battery will probably be ok. It's just the skin. And it has always been that in every single review.

I pimp stock 24/7 but I DID own an HTC One so my mind can change any time. Maybe a bunch of months from now I'll be rocking an S6...lol.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The latest play music update fixed the terrible stutter I had using it on the G3. Yay!

Oh snap is the face turn (see what I did there) happening? Is it the non-removable battery that gets you? Those are so passée.

This has potential to be a good overall phone. Who will carry the flag! Battery shmattery as long as the Life is Good ™

they've always had good overall phones.

sealed battery is trash.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can I bitch at how fucking bad Pandora is on Android? The UI is atrocious. The lock screen is literally just an block with the artist song artist. No fucking pause play forward or back. Have to unlock to do that to get those fucking ads seen.

Fuck I hate this.

Top Bottom