• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For all the bullshit that updates would be better this time, and they have in the Far East and to a lesser extent Europe it's been par for the course in NA. Most phones wont be seeing an update to Lollipop till this Month at the earliest, and that's best case scenario depending upon your carrier.

Gross rubber/plastic ring around that M9's camera in the first pic. Honestly, the awful camera glass is ruining this phone for me (well, that and Sense). Hopefully GPE returns to form this year.
That huge square does seem uncharacteristically ugly for an HTC phone.

Sense is ugly. Im praying for GPE but Im sure that program is gone

will be interesting to see what happens with CPE phones this year or the nexus program. Rumours said they ressurrected the nexus program last minute with the nexus 6 so I wonder if that means this year they plan to do it for real this time and continue it or they just wanted to buy more time.

I'm guessing the former. And don't worry guys htc nexus phone is happening this year. I feel it in the gut.

ukas

I still have a major issue with curved back phones and not being able to use them while on a table. Unless of course they do the Moto dimple thing.

That's what annoys me about my M8. Looking at the gold M9 images it seems to have more of a flat back than the M8. I hope that case is true in the final product.

SimleuqiR

Sense is ugly. Im praying for GPE but Im sure that program is gone

If Google does become an MVNO...what do you believe are they going to offer in terms of phones?

It's very possible that the GPE program comes back but with the caveat that they work under the Google MVNO network.

We will have to wait and see.

If Google does become an MVNO...what do you believe are they going to offer in terms of phones?

It's very possible that the GPE program comes back but with the caveat that they work under the Google MVNO network.

We will have to wait and see.

If GPE comes back, I hope they offer more than just flagship phones at the MSRP.

For all the bullshit that updates would be better this time, and they have in the Far East and to a lesser extent Europe it's been par for the course in NA. Most phones wont be seeing an update to Lollipop till this Month at the earliest, and that's best case scenario depending upon your carrier.

and it's all the fault of Manufacturers. other than that one time with Verizon, Apple somehow manages to update in a timely fashion in the USA, why can't Samsung? because they don't try hard enough!

I'd really like to update my Nexus 7 today.

It's running 4.4.2. Been googling it for a while now, and I can't find on answer on if I can jump straight to 5.0.2. or not.

Also, I can't seem to really find the rom, and Googles own site is down.

Gotta admit, this is definitely ass.

dc89

So Vodafone Australia have said they are waiting on the Lollipop software to begin testing the Z3 & Z2 ahead of distribution.

:(

ZetaEpyon

Just updated my M7 to Lollipop. Pretty smooth overall so far, though it wasn't bad on KitKat, to be honest.

It looks like HTC got rid of the privacy mode stuff, and is just using a standard Silent/Vibrate/Normal setup. I'm ok with this.

Also, it's straight to Android 5.0.2, nice.

Screenshot_2015-02-05-11-32-51.png
Screenshot_2015-02-05-11-37-20.png

Drifters

Just updated my M7 to Lollipop. Pretty smooth overall so far, though it wasn't bad on KitKat, to be honest.

It looks like HTC got rid of the privacy mode stuff, and is just using a standard Silent/Vibrate/Normal setup. I'm ok with this.

Also, it's straight to Android 5.0.2, nice.
You really should back up your data and do a factory reset; From everything I've read has made the updates to Lollipop on the M7's and M8's a world of difference in speed.

My Nexus 5 is acting weird. Yesterday it rebooted a second time by itself and few minutes ago I pulled it out of my pocket and it was turned off (with 52% battery left).

Why does it hate me? :(

Wreav

Banned
That camera hump is horrid on that S6 render, and entirely too believable. I'd rather have the stupid HTC Megaglass.

Wreav

Banned
Seriously. The protruding camera is really stupid in my opinion. They need better design.

Gotta be slim like Apple!

I had to get a case on the iphone 6 that matched the camera hump, i couldn't take it anymore.

The more I look back, the more I think the 5s was the most beautifully engineered phone ever. If only we got that in 4.7'' instead.

But people want bigger camera sensors/better cameras.
Technology will improve to the point where great cameras will smaller. Though I guess it will be some time before that happens.

Though I wonder; with OEM making phones thinner, will the camera protrude even more?

ZetaEpyon

You really should back up your data and do a factory reset; From everything I've read has made the updates to Lollipop on the M7's and M8's a world of difference in speed.

Yeah, I probably will after I get home. Started the update right when I got in to work this morning. Was surprising how warm the phone got during the update, too.

Gotta be slim like Apple!

I had to get a case on the iphone 6 that matched the camera hump, i couldn't take it anymore.

The more I look back, the more I think the 5s was the most beautifully engineered phone ever. If only we got that in 4.7'' instead.

iPhone 5s is def top tier design

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Technology will improve to the point where great cameras will smaller. Though I guess it will be some time before that happens.

Though I wonder; with OEM making phones thinner, will the camera protrude even more?

That's sort of hard since camera size and the way light works directly impacts picture quality.

Milpool

The only problems I have with mine are software performance. It will be interesting to see if 5.1 cleans it up. If not the 64 bit tegra has issues

I get similar performance problems with my 6 so I'm praying they'll both improve with 5.1. Plus I get random reboots and glitchy sound with the 6 so I much prefer the 9 at the moment.

Wreav

Banned
Thats why I have an actual camera for photos.

This is the dumbest thing.

I, too, have a "real" camera for photos, but I'm not lugging it around all the time, or chasing my kid through the park with it. The best camera is the one you have on you, so I'm all for smartphones closing the DSLR gap.

this_guy

This is the dumbest thing.

I, too, have a "real" camera for photos, but I'm not lugging it around all the time, or chasing my kid through the park with it. The best camera is the one you have on you, so I'm all for smartphones closing the DSLR gap.

This. I carry my smartphone everywhere, I don't carry a separate camera everywhere.

I don't want a camera bump. I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone with a larger battery and a flat back so I can use it while it is on a table or desk.

How thin does a phone need to be?

Top Bottom