• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Can I bitch at how fucking bad Pandora is on Android? The UI is atrocious. The lock screen is literally just an block with the artist song artist. No fucking pause play forward or back. Have to unlock to do that to get those fucking ads seen.

Fuck I hate this.
That's what happens when you're a second class citizen in Smart phone land

nah man I prefer sealed batteries. Gives me better designz. Then again I've never felt the need to have an extra battery. Now with the turbo chargers and shit and battery packs. Who neeeeeeds em brah.

i upgrade every 2 years, it's nice to be able to drop in a fresh battery and have that 100% brand new life instead of 85-90% down the road. and i actually have one of those portable chargers. i use it to charge my bluetooth headphones more often than my phone. in fact, i swear other people use it to charge their phones more than i ever have.

Wreav

Banned
I'm with Face, if you're going to have a phone for 2 years, super nice to drop a fresh battery in. My 4s lost about 50% of its total capacity towards the end of its run.

i upgrade every 2 years, it's nice to be able to drop in a fresh battery and have that 100% brand new life instead of 85-90% down the road. and i actually have one of those portable chargers. i use it to charge my bluetooth headphones more often than my phone. in fact, i swear other people use it to charge their phones more than i ever have.
The only phone I had for 2 years was my 4s and it stayed mostly the same battery life the whole time. Just like my nexus 5 battery was bad the whole year+ I had it. Hopefully Samsung puts a good battery in there. 2 years should last fine.

I guess iut depends on usage and lots of other things but I always felt like two years is good for a battery.

I have to agree with Faceless too. I bought a pack with two Zerolemon batteries (3000mAh each and an included charger) for my GS4 some months ago and it's been great. I used to say I didn't give a single fuck about removable batteries (but now I've seen the light), and while my next phone doesn't need to have the capability (though I'd prefer it did), it needs to have banging battery life.

I'm still good with no expandable storage, but I need 32GB minimum, internal.

So basically, I'll probably never get my dream phone.

I have to agree with Faceless too. I bought a pack with two Zerolemon batteries (3000mAh each and an included charger for my GS4 some months ago and it's been great. I used to say I didn't give a single fuck about removable batteries (but now I've seen the light), and while my next phone doesn't need to have the capability (though I'd prefer it did), it needs to have banging battery life.

Honest question: What is the difference between having two batteries and a charger and just getting a super small external battery charger that could be used to charge anything?

I have to agree with Faceless too. I bought a pack with two Zerolemon batteries (3000mAh each and an included charger for my GS4 some months ago and it's been great. I used to say I didn't give a single fuck about removable batteries (but now I've seen the light), and while my next phone doesn't need to have the capability (though I'd prefer it did), it needs to have banging battery life.

I agree on both points. I see why some like it but honestly I'd rather a very premium phone build/materials but obviously like you said that means my standards are higher for battery life and storage. I'm done with bad or average battery life. Only considering those that deliver.

Honest question: What is the difference between having two batteries and a charger and just getting a super small external battery charger that could be used to charge anything?
The extra bulk if you're using one of those battery cases like mophie makes, and having to carry around an external charger compared to a very slim extra battery. That said, I could live with using an external charger, but I'd just rather have a second battery.

I agree on both points. I see why some like it but honestly I'd rather a very premium phone build/materials but obviously like you said that means my standards are higher for battery life and storage. I'm done with bad or average battery life. Only considering those that deliver.
I'd rather have a premium/well-built phone as well. Plastic is fine with me though, as long as it's not glossy and doesn't feel like crap. I've played around with so many other phones since getting my S4, and they feel so much better naked. I use a case to mask the gloss, but would prefer not to.

Also, I'd rather not have an all metal phone. They are too smooth and slippery. Matte and textured plastic is the best in my opinion.

----

And didn't HTC make an aluminum phone in the past that had a small plastic(?) section on the bottom/back that could be flipped open and the battery could be slid out? I think that could be a great way to have metal/premium construction while keeping the removable battery and/or storage.

The extra bulk if you're using one of those battery cases like mophie makes, and having to carry around an external charger compared to a very slim extra battery. That said, I could live with using an external charger, but I'd just rather have a second battery.

I'd rather have a premium/well-built phone as well. Plastic is fine with me though, as long as it's not glossy and doesn't feel like crap. I've played around with so many other phones since getting my S4, and they feel so much better naked. I use a case to mask the gloss, but would prefer not to.

Also, I'd rather not have an all metal phone. They are too smooth and slippery. Matte and textured plastic is the best in my opinion.

----

And didn't HTC make an aluminum phone in the past that had a small plastic(?) section on the bottom/back that could be flipped open and the battery could be slid out? I think that could be a great way to have a metal/premium construction while keeping the removable battery and/or storage.
Plastic is hard to make feel good IMO. I looked the nexus 5 soft touch feel but shit was the gross kind of moisture magnet. Metal can be slippery I guess. Never bugged me.

Only time will tell. My interest is actually piqued for a Samsung event lol. Just to see what they do when they are more desperate.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Extra battery comes standard in Korea. It's cool. I miss it, though sealed batteries make for better designs.

tzare

Extra battery comes standard in Korea. It's cool. I miss it, though sealed batteries make for better designs.

But then a high % of people use cases. What is the point of design then?

Right now i am using my note 4 without a case. It's fake leather back is awesome looing and has great grip. It's removable battery will allow to use it for more than two years with a simple replacement (will give it to my mother or other relative).

And design wise it is great: still a samsung device, but not stall as Galaxy S design, that has become boring because it can be found in most of samsung devices, there are alot of the,

Samsung, as sony or htc, should only copy Apple in one way: less devices every year, so confusing. A flaship, a phablet, a mid range and a low cost device. They should also be called differently enough, otherways people associate xperia or galaxy with cheap devices instead of high end ones.

Pachimari

Removable batteries were one of those things that attracted me to an Android device. I love that I can change my battery and instantly be at 100%.

I also don't have to carry around a charger, and instead I can have the batteries in my small wallet.

i love lollipop. personally have no issues with it but damn do i love updates. hurry up 5.1!

i have a nexus 5 at the moment. i bought it the day the nexus 6 was announced! yeah i knew it was coming out but i really hated that it was gonna be based on the moto x. i think the nexus 6 is horrible looking.

i'm hoping to keep the nexus 5 until the next nexus phone or maybe long after that. will just need to wait and see what it's like. not sure if i could go back to a phone that isn't stock android and takes forever to get any updates IF it gets them at all.

So I've had the material design Google search results for a while now, but now all of the gorgeous animations are working. It looks so, so damn good. I'm not sure if it's yesterday's update to chrome beta that did it, or something else, as the animations were non existent a day ago.

Donos

HTC internet browser had an update yesterday which brought back the quick controls (which were buried under the "lab" settings). They vanished with the last update which i instantly noticed since i use it all the time.
Changelog said it's back because of the high demand.

Drifters

HTC internet browser had an update yesterday which brought back the quick controls (which were buried under the "lab" settings). They vanished with the last update which i instantly noticed since i use it all the time.
Changelog said it's back because of the high demand.
Winning.

However the update is wiping bookmarks.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Saygus V2 pre-order has been extended to Feb 7

Translation: "we're not getting enough pre-orders"

Ninhead

First post to the thread. Hiya. Long time fan.

Looks like Sprint is pushing 5.0 to Galaxy 4/5 today. Downloading on my S5 right now.

Donos

welcome ninhead

you'll soon hate-love this thread soon enough

lMjpgXK.gif

I just realized once again that by the time the OEMs release their Lollipop phones, our Nexus devices will already have 5.1.

Sweet.

Hasney

I just realized once again that by the time the OEMs release their Lollipop phones, our Nexus devices will already have 5.1.

Sweet.

Why not just buy an AndroidONE if you care that much? They're clearly winning here.

The Z4 delay rumours appear to be getting stronger. I may just walk into town and buy a Nexus 6 tomorrow.

Sanjuro

Still trying to get the hang of this Lollipop nonsense. So, there is no more silent mode, just a no notification mode? Is there no way to get the LED to blink outside sound and vibration?

What the hell.

I need help.

My nexus 7 is on 4.4.2.

I have twrp on it. How, if it's even possible, do I install the ota updates?

Keep in mind the USB port on my nexus 7 doesn't work anymore beyond charging, so I can't do it via computer.

What are my options?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I need help.

My nexus 7 is on 4.4.2.

I have twrp on it. How, if it's even possible, do I install the ota updates?

Keep in mind the USB port on my nexus 7 doesn't work anymore beyond charging, so I can't do it via computer.

What are my options?

Airdroid

Use that to wirelessly send the zip to flash to your N7.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Anyone with an answer to the LED issue, is there a workaround or something I'm missing?

What device are you using? 5.0 made the stupid decision of dropping a true silent mode - it's rumored to return in 5.1. If you have a nexus 6, you can root and enable the led which is in the ear part of the phone, if you wish.

Still trying to get the hang of this Lollipop nonsense. So, there is no more silent mode, just a no notification mode? Is there no way to get the LED to blink outside sound and vibration?

What the hell.

you just got googled. Luckily for them only 1.5% of users are affected by this terrible decision so they'll get to it when they do!

Hopefully 5.1 but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

Sanjuro

What device are you using? 5.0 made the stupid decision of dropping a true silent mode - it's rumored to return in 5.1. If you have a nexus 6, you can root and enable the led which is in the ear part of the phone, if you wish.

Galaxy S5. Just got it the other day, so much of it has been tinkering and trying to figure things out.

It's Android 5.0 flat.

Wreav

Banned
Gross rubber/plastic ring around that M9's camera in the first pic. Honestly, the awful camera glass is ruining this phone for me (well, that and Sense). Hopefully GPE returns to form this year.

Top Bottom