• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Mindwipe

If you're okay with a moderate screen, the new Moto E (theres a 2015 revision) is great for the money. Sounds like you don't need anything more than that.

Hello, everyone. I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I need a new phone. I'm using an old LG Optimus 2X and it's just so grindingly slow and outdated that I need something new.

The only things I use my phone for: emailing, texting, very (very!) light web browsing, tethering for my computer/tablet. Far and away, my primary concern is emailing and texting. Tethering is second. Web browsing is a distant third.

I will not be doing any gaming. I won't be using it for music. I won't be using it for movies. I won't be using any resource-intensive apps. (Maybe I'd get a banking app or a public transit app, but that's about it.)

So I'm wondering what phone will serve me best for the next 2-4 years. Should I be going with an Android? Or should I be looking at a Blackberry? Any thoughts? The phone needs to be an AWS phone (whatever that means).
Should you be looking at blackberry? Get that way out our fucking mind man. It should be between iOS and Android if you're looking for a phone that will last you that long. And again if you're looking for a phone that will last you a long time I always recommend getting a recent flagship. Get an S6 when it comes out.

I agree with the above (Moto E) if you want something really cheap and off contract that does those things. Only downsides is shitty camera bad low res screen.

longdi

Banned
Just got a Note4 (gold) for a gift, after spending some time with it setting up, here are my LTTP opinions vs Z2:

-the hardware is really nice to handle. I kinda of like the design language, very professional looking and distinctive. I even like it more than the S6-iphone-clone. Hope Samsung keeps it for Note5.

-QHD is actually noticeably sharper than FHD here, when you look up close and personal. And especially when you want to make extra large fonts! The 2.7Ghz SD805 felt very speedy! Coupled with the fast NAND, N4 operates imo a tad noticeably faster than Z2, even with QHD!

-The AMOLED pentile have improved leaps and bounds! N4 colors are really nice with 'Basic' settings! Though it needed a restart, if not white looks greenish. Weird.

-I always like the 'hardware' back/menu buttons of Samsung, they gave me more screen estate! Software buttons sucks imo.

-Touchwiz is not as bad once you disable all the crap and prompts on first setup. However Z2 UI and layout is more intuitive. N4 settings and notifications menu are in such a mess! And Sony Music/Video/Album are way more prettier than N4's!

-Z2 auto brightness works way better! Z2 screen changes gradually and do change when you move from dark to light and back to dark. N4 auto-brightness transition is terrible! It will get stuck at bright levels after you move back to darkness

-N4 power saving menu looks worthless. You can either throttle the CPU, disable background transfer and that's that. Sony is again, more intuitively laid out. Sony also has the awesome "location based wi-fi" option! Not sure where is that in N4. Sony also have double tap to wake!

Overall i feel N4 hardware is better
But Z2 software and UI is better.

I would readily recommend N4 if you need a smartphone today.
Pre-N4 Samsung, imo are all give them a miss. And that includes the new Galaxy A series (overpriced).

NotBacon

I can't abide with having to use a camera app that uses prosumer style controls, adjusting my shutter speed and ISO manually for every picture. Just work out of the box. You're right, the sensor is alright, but the software is just the worst.

What phone are you talking about? We're talking about the Nexus 6 in here.

I've been using the stock Google Camera app and haven't been disappointed yet. Yeah super macro shots don't really turn out good, and there might be a few features missing, but I'm not a professional photographer either...

Anyways, the shots it takes still amaze me and people around me. Destroys the iPhone camera according to a few who have iPhone 6/6+.

kharma45

I've been using the stock Google Camera app and haven't been disappointed yet. Yeah super macro shots don't really turn out good, and there might be a few features missing, but I'm not a professional photographer either...

Anyways, the shots it takes still amaze me and people around me. Destroys the iPhone camera according to a few who have iPhone 6/6+.

pls

If you're okay with a moderate screen, the new Moto E (theres a 2015 revision) is great for the money. Sounds like you don't need anything more than that.

I agree with the above (Moto E) if you want something really cheap and off contract that does those things. Only downsides is shitty camera bad low res screen.

Thanks for the Moto E (2015) suggestions, guys. I appreciate it. I just looked into it, and it looks really great. Ideal for my needs, really.

Just got a Note4 (gold) for a gift, after spending some time with it setting up, here are my LTTP opinions vs Z2:

*impressions*

Overall i feel N4 hardware is better
But Z2 software and UI is better.

I would readily recommend N4 if you need a smartphone today.
Pre-N4 Samsung, imo are all give them a miss. And that includes the new Galaxy A series (overpriced).
Nice! Awesome to hear that you're having fun with it. It is indeed an awesome phone :D

I haven't had need for power saving yet. The battery life on this is beast. Improved even more after a root and Greenify. :)

Amagon

Hello! Is there anyway to hook up a Samsung Avant to a tv without using the Chromecast. My father got this phone through T-Mobile and he has no internet at his place, hence, can't really use a Chomecast for what he wants to do; ie. Netflix.

Majine

Banned
Why is Androids OTA system so awful? 5.1 is out for Nexus 5 as factory image but it's not appearing when I check for updates.

Why is Androids OTA system so awful? 5.1 is out for Nexus 5 as factory image but it's not appearing when I check for updates.
google sucks with their rollouts, just learn to flash it I guess. Consider yourself lucky. It's not even out for the nexus 9 for some reason :|

Hello! Is there anyway to hook up a Samsung Avant to a tv without using the Chromecast. My father got this phone through T-Mobile and he has no internet at his place, hence, can't really use a Chomecast for what he wants to do; ie. Netflix.
no. also, does he have Unlimited Data? because Netflix would hit a small cap pretty fast.

so update it, lol wtf. or wait for the gradual rollout that could take up to 4 weeks.

NotBacon

If you're gonna stan, at least try to make SOME sense.

I'm just the messenger, but whatever. Gotta keep that hate flowing I guess.

Anyways, if you want my opinion, I only partially agree. My pictures almost always turn out better, but the camera experience as a whole just has more polish on iOS.

Are you not familiar with that guy..?

Sweet, I've always wanted to be popular.

I'm just the messenger, but whatever. Gotta keep that hate flowing I guess.

Anyways, if you want my opinion, I only partially agree. My pictures almost always turn out better, but the camera experience as a whole just has more polish on iOS.

Sweet, I've always wanted to be popular.

image.php

Anyone have any watch reccomendations? Thinking about getting an Android Wear watch and I'm currently eyeing up the Asus Zenwatch.

I'm looking for something that's cheap, but is still a quality watch and I need to be about to buy in on Amazon since I'll be using credit

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When is the next good 4:3 tablet with stock android coming out? I think my N10 is crapping out again.

Wreav

Banned
Anyone have any watch reccomendations? Thinking about getting an Android Wear watch and I'm currently eyeing up the Asus Zenwatch.

I'm looking for something that's cheap, but is still a quality watch and I need to be about to buy in on Amazon since I'll be using credit

Yeah, the recommendation is wait for 2nd gen.

If you want something cheap and now get a Pebble. Otherwise wait.

Talon

LMAO.

never change, bruh.

Top Bottom