• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Off angle viewing:

HTC One M8
DSC_3082_575px.jpg

HTC One M9
DSC_3083_575px.jpg

Downgrade.

remz

The slipperiness sort of went away with use. But out of the box even on an even table it would be pretending to be speed racer

It was fun skating mine around for a little while. you could never rest it on anything with an angle tho.

but man how cool did the polarized black stuff on the back look? so cool.

terrier

Looks that some OEM's go the Apple way: high profit/margins. Samsung ditching removable SD and battery, HTC by cutting costs. Lol.

Considering 810 issues now sony could go Mediatek for z4 and make full circle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Grab a blanket and throw your temper tantrum somewhere quieter

Good to know your OK with spending lots of money on broken shit. I got a ton of broke shit I'll sell you for hundreds of dollars a pop.

Some of you are fucking stupid that you are OK with this.

j-wood

Nasty bug found with play music. I'm not sure if its 5.1 or the latest play music app, but ANY media sound triggers the play music app to start up and start playing music. Highly annoying.

greyshark

Good to know your OK with spending lots of money on broken shit. I got a ton of broke shit I'll sell you for hundreds of dollars a pop.

I'd suspect it's not a bigger deal right now because the vast majority of users aren't even on Lollipop yet.

Hasney

Nasty bug found with play music. I'm not sure if its 5.1 or the latest play music app, but ANY media sound triggers the play music app to start up and start playing music. Highly annoying.

Nothing here on 5.1 and not saying I need an update in play store. Had a quick look at the reviews and one person says it opens itself every night which could be related, but no-one mentioning this specifically.

I reboot every 3 days and everything is going swimmingly. If anything, 5.1 made my Nexus 6 it the smoothest phone I've ever owned and I just reboot after a few days once I see the UI drawing.

Update will be great, but I'm more than happy right now.

Blablurn

its strange isn't it? It has a 4.6" screen which only a few years ago would have been considered big. But it does feel small in the hand.

Yeah, I was a little shocked about this. I thought it would be way bigger haha.

And then I went to the iPhone section. Oh god. The 5S and 5C seem sooooo small nowadays.

Hasney

Yeah, I was a little shocked about this. I thought it would be way bigger haha.

And then I went to the iPhone section. Oh god. The 5S and 5C seem sooooo small nowadays.

Yeah, my housemate wanted me to take a photo of her while we were out on her iPhone 4S. I felt like I was going to crush the tiny thing in my hand.

God, I wish we'd gotten a refreshed Nexus 5 last fall.

I'm really starting to feel the urge to upgrade from my current N5.

So glad we didn't. Might have gotten an iPhone 6+ had we not gotten the N6.

Is a shame Google only do one phone a year and satisfy both markets though. But if they keep doing it like this, I'm hoping they alternate once a year because I'm not going smaller when I want to upgrade.

Any audio geeks out there? I'm working on an audio app with audio calculations. Here is what I have so far:

Acoustic power
Air absorption
Amplifier power required
Bracing - round cutouts (cylinder tube enclosure)
Bracing - round cutouts (square/rectangular enclosure)
Bracing - square/rectangular cutouts (square/rectangular enclosure)
Ceiling speaker coverage
dB to Volts
Delay and frequency
Inverse square law
Ohm's law
Port volume - cylinder tubes
Port volume - slotted ports
Power ratio
SPL (sound pressure level)
SPL addition
Volume - cylinder tube enclosure
Volume - square/rectangular enclosure
Volume - triangular/trapezoidal enclosure
Subwoofer cone area
Thermal noise
Voltage ratio

Got anything else for me add?

Just checked out some phones in my local store because my Xiaomi Note is waaay too big.

I saw the Z3 Compact first. A little too small too be honest. My dream phone would be the iPhone 6 but thats out of my price range. Then I went to the LGG3. Holy Crap. What a phone. Brilliant.

I also had the LGG2 and I kinda miss it too be honest. Now I'm wondering.

OnePlus One or LGG3.

The One Plus One has the same size as the xiaomi but is way thinner. On the other hand it comes with 64GB.

I think the LGG3 has the best size out of all. Gonna check some review and then lets see...

I mulled over this choice for a bit and in the end I played roulette chose a OnePlus. The G3 IMO looks better, fits a better screen into its smaller form factor, and has a removable battery/micro sd slot, but it gets way too hot, has lots of complaints about viewing in sunlight, and screen on time wasn't impressive.

Have no issues with the oneplus, it stays super cool temp wise and I can easily go two days without a charge.

My biggest gripe with the oneplus is the subpar contrast ratio and the cheap (when lit) looking capacitive buttons. the 64gb makes up for the lack of microsd IMO and is much faster.

Blablurn

I mulled over this choice for a bit and in the end I played roulette chose a OnePlus. The G3 IMO looks better, fits a better screen into its smaller form factor, and has a removable battery/micro sd slot, but it gets way too hot, has lots of complaints about viewing in sunlight, and screen on time wasn't impressive.

Have no issues with the oneplus, it stays super cool temp wise and I can easily go two days without a charge.

My biggest gripe with the oneplus is the subpar contrast ratio and the cheap (when lit) looking capacitive buttons. the 64gb makes up for the lack of microsd IMO and is much faster.
Yeah, I'm struggling here too. I want to sell my Xiaomi note because its too big. But even though the One Plus One is thinner, it has the same size. But I have to find a decision quick haha. Tomorrow is the last day where the one plus one costs 299€.

Yeah, I'm struggling here too. I want to sell my Xiaomi note because its too big. But even though the One Plus One is thinner, it has the same size. But I have to find a decision quick haha. Tomorrow is the last day where the one plus one costs 299€.

I'm not sure I would get rid of a phone merely for the thickness, but if you do (and you get a good unit) OPO is a solid choice. I've had a pretty seamless experience thus far. To be fair, what I need out of a phone has changed significantly over the last few years. I just need a large screen, competent camera, adequate storage, smooth OS as close to pure android as I can get, and great battery life. I don't play video games (unless I'm bored on a plane) and I don't care about benchmarks. UE Mini Boom takes care of any situation in which I'd need to play music so don't care about speakers either, even though OPO's are passable.

thuway

I really wish Samsung's AMOLED were a standard in all phones across the board. It's the one reason I keep coming back. The latest Note 4's screen is ridiculously amazing. I am sure the S6 will take all the cakes too.

I really wish Samsung's AMOLED were a standard in all phones across the board. It's the one reason I keep coming back. The latest Note 4's screen is ridiculously amazing. I am sure the S6 will take all the cakes too.

I almost went for the note 4 just for that screen. It's ridiculous. I just can't stand being locked into touchwiz

Hasney

I almost went for the note 4 just for that screen. It's ridiculous. I just can't stand being locked into touchwiz

Yeah, if they didn't outsource their customer service to Capita, I might have considered them again. They're horrible in the UK if something goes wrong.

gcubed

Samsung and HTC both kinda missed the point why Android fans look forward to the new Android phone.

sigh.

I think for the first time in a while Samsung finally got the point.

Vanilla, we know about it, it's been talked about, it's been complained about before, so we don't need more hissy fits. It's also a new memory leak, not the same one, the issue is no where near as bad as the first memory leak that rendered 2gb devices unusable after a few days. They need to fix it, we all agree.

Nexus will come out with bad battery life.
Moto X will come out with a very bad camera.
S6/Note 5 will be the best Android phone and phablet of 2015.

longdi

Banned
S6 looking very strong for 2015...the phone will literally make Android performance flies. UFS and Exynos are going to be blazing fast, and for the first time, makes iOS/iPhone6+ feels slooow in comparison. I can just feel it.

Since trying the Note4, my feelings towards Samsung is changed for the better. Just that i much prefer Sony UI and design language. Here is hoping Z4 will use a good processor and not SD810..

Drifters

The problem is the 801 chipset is still king on a 1080p screen. If I were the big 3, I would release a budget tier phone with a 1080p screen using a 801 w/ a larger battery and watch the phones print money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The problem is the 801 chipset is still king on a 1080p screen. If I were the big 3, I would release a budget tier phone with a 1080p screen using a 801 w/ a larger battery and watch the phones print money.

but that is basically many company's 2014 flagships..

So the Snapdragon 815 is apparently sampling very soon. 20nm TSMC process, expected mass market delivery for late Q2/early Q3 2015.

Looking good for the LG G4 and Sony's H2 flag and possibly the Note 5.

It utilises Qualcomm's first 64bit custom architecture, Kyro, but not the final version, rather an early version.

I do wonder whether Qualcomm would have been better off not bothering with the 810 and just bringing the 815 release forwards by a few months. The 820 is not going to be ready until next year. The 810 has really hit their reputation for delivering efficient and quality silicon by using off the shelf architecture for 64bit rather than backing their own IP.

If I were Sony I wouldn't even bother with the Z4 and just go in hard with the Z3 and get some discounts on the screen and chips now that they are quite old. Reprice it to £349/$399 offline and just wait it out for S815 and have a July release of the Z4 with S815/QHD/4GB DDR4.

I'm sure Sony's hardware team will manage to tame the S810 but it seems like a lot of work for not very much gain.

Blablurn

I'm not sure I would get rid of a phone merely for the thickness, but if you do (and you get a good unit) OPO is a solid choice. I've had a pretty seamless experience thus far. To be fair, what I need out of a phone has changed significantly over the last few years. I just need a large screen, competent camera, adequate storage, smooth OS as close to pure android as I can get, and great battery life. I don't play video games (unless I'm bored on a plane) and I don't care about benchmarks. UE Mini Boom takes care of any situation in which I'd need to play music so don't care about speakers either, even though OPO's are passable.

Sounds not too bad. Let's hope I will get a device without issues.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Hope they release the bloatware killer update for Note 4. "Google Apps" has been keeping my phone awake for 14 hours (i.e. all night) and I don't know why.

Most likely culprit is an app that's using Google services(ie. location).

When I had the Cricket World Cup app on my phone, for example, it was destroying my battery life, but Wakelock Detector was showing it as Google services being the culprit. I later found out that it was actually the CWC app constantly invoking Google's location services, absolving itself in any of the detector metrics and laying the blame at Google's feet.

VoxPop

It's a sad year when Samsung is making the best Android phone of 2015. That being said, I'll probably pick up an Edge for a few months.

Top Bottom