• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Anyone else having issues with the Google messenger app? I'm able to receive texts but get an "sms disabled" error message when I try to send.

Most likely culprit is an app that's using Google services(ie. location).

When I had the Cricket World Cup app on my phone, for example, it was destroying my battery life, but Wakelock Detector was showing it as Google services being the culprit. I later found out that it was actually the CWC app constantly invoking Google's location services, absolving itself in any of the detector metrics and laying the blame at Google's feet.

Oooo, thanks for the tip! I've turned off Google Now and it seems to have solved the problem for now, but I'll uninstall some recent apps to catch the real culprit.

Is this a problem with the recent update that let apps make their own cards? If so, Google should've seen this backdoor trickery coming >_>

this_guy

Anyone else having issues with the Google messenger app? I'm able to receive texts but get an "sms disabled" error message when I try to send.

Ever since my Moto X upgraded to Lollipop I've been having issues with mms messages using Google's Messenger app. I've switched to Textra.

Avixph

Even the Play Store can be uninstalled? That doesn't seem right. Are we sure that isn't just hiding/removing apps from view.
Here is the truth about Samsung Galaxy S6 bloatware - MobileSyrup.com

So the Snapdragon 815 is apparently sampling very soon. 20nm TSMC process, expected mass market delivery for late Q2/early Q3 2015.

Looking good for the LG G4 and Sony's H2 flag and possibly the Note 5.

It utilises Qualcomm's first 64bit custom architecture, Kyro, but not the final version, rather an early version.

I do wonder whether Qualcomm would have been better off not bothering with the 810 and just bringing the 815 release forwards by a few months. The 820 is not going to be ready until next year. The 810 has really hit their reputation for delivering efficient and quality silicon by using off the shelf architecture for 64bit rather than backing their own IP.

If I were Sony I wouldn't even bother with the Z4 and just go in hard with the Z3 and get some discounts on the screen and chips now that they are quite old. Reprice it to £349/$399 offline and just wait it out for S815 and have a July release of the Z4 with S815/QHD/4GB DDR4.

I'm sure Sony's hardware team will manage to tame the S810 but it seems like a lot of work for not very much gain.
I don't think that Samsung will go back to using a Qualcomm chip in the Galaxy Note 5.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a sad year when Samsung is making the best Android phone of 2015. That being said, I'll probably pick up an Edge for a few months.

The Edge is awesome. Don't be ungrateful.

So the Snapdragon 815 is apparently sampling very soon. 20nm TSMC process, expected mass market delivery for late Q2/early Q3 2015.

Looking good for the LG G4 and Sony's H2 flag and possibly the Note 5.

It utilises Qualcomm's first 64bit custom architecture, Kyro, but not the final version, rather an early version.

I do wonder whether Qualcomm would have been better off not bothering with the 810 and just bringing the 815 release forwards by a few months. The 820 is not going to be ready until next year. The 810 has really hit their reputation for delivering efficient and quality silicon by using off the shelf architecture for 64bit rather than backing their own IP.

If I were Sony I wouldn't even bother with the Z4 and just go in hard with the Z3 and get some discounts on the screen and chips now that they are quite old. Reprice it to £349/$399 offline and just wait it out for S815 and have a July release of the Z4 with S815/QHD/4GB DDR4.

I'm sure Sony's hardware team will manage to tame the S810 but it seems like a lot of work for not very much gain.

There is no reason why Samsung would use a putative future 20 nm Snapdragon instead of their in house 14 nm Exynos which is already on the market. Samsung already being at 14 nm FinFET is going to put them in control of mobile SoC performance for at least 2 years.

gcubed

Oooo, thanks for the tip! I've turned off Google Now and it seems to have solved the problem for now, but I'll uninstall some recent apps to catch the real culprit.

Is this a problem with the recent update that let apps make their own cards? If so, Google should've seen this backdoor trickery coming >_>

its just new location api's that allow apps to grab location easily through play services. If it *IS* location issues, you can see which apps are using your location and how much they hog the battery. Settings->Location should now show you what apps you have that use your location and battery use (all it says is low/medium/high etc, no percentages)

its just new location api's that allow apps to grab location easily through play services. If it *IS* location issues, you can see which apps are using your location and how much they hog the battery. Settings->Location should now show you what apps you have that use your location and battery use (all it says is low/medium/high etc, no percentages)
Tasker automatically put my phone on airplane mode for the night, so I'm not sure if it was GPS or connectivity issues. >_> would location services still drain battery if it were off?

kharma45

It's a sad year when Samsung is making the best Android phone of 2015. That being said, I'll probably pick up an Edge for a few months.

I don't think it's sad at all. The S5 was a bit of a let down but they've generally put out great phones and with the Note 4 and S6 they've really knocked it out of the park for the most part.

Also saying samsung released the best android phone of 2015 when only 2 phones have been announced is pushing it. Only including worldwide flagships of course.

edit: also here is an updated thermal image of the M9 vs others. Looks like they solved it with whatever they did:

htc-one-m9-heat.jpeg

mturco

Anandtech posted part one of their M9 review... here's all you need to read:

Although we’re still missing some of the pieces, based upon what data we have the One M9 is in an alarming place for a new smartphone. It’s pretty rare that a new phone ends up regressing in almost every major way compared to an old phone, but the One M9 ends up doing this in display and battery life.

Given all of these issues, I’m almost tempted to point to the One M8 as the better phone, but until we get the full picture we won’t be coming to any final conclusions about the One M9.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Also saying samsung released the best android phone of 2015 when only 2 phones have been announced is pushing it. Only including worldwide flagships of course.

edit: also here is an updated thermal image of the M9 vs others. Looks like they solved it with whatever they did:

htc-one-m9-heat.jpeg

They also posted the updated benchmark numbers in the same article: http://tweakers.net/reviews/3921/5/...e-verbeteringen-prestaties-en-benchmarks.html

The updated M9 took a hit in some benchmarks, but performed on par with the non-throttled M9 in others.

They also posted the updated benchmark numbers in the same article: http://tweakers.net/reviews/3921/5/...e-verbeteringen-prestaties-en-benchmarks.html

The updated M9 took a hit in some benchmarks, but performed on par with the non-throttled M9 in others.
meh that's like what I mentioned before. Regardless of what they tweaked, real world performance different will not be noticeable.

That's why I'm not so concerned about phones using the 810 this year. BUT with that said, would be cool if the 815 made it into all phones going forward for the year.

meh that's like what I mentioned before. Regardless of what they tweaked, real world performance different will not be noticeable.

That's why I'm not so concerned about phones using the 810 this year. BUT with that said, would be cool if the 815 made it into all phones going forward for the year.

I think the Z5(?) and G4 will have it for sure, but they are H2 phones and the Z5 may not come out until March of next and that will release with the S820.

not sure for all android manufacturers, but base android, airplane mode doesn't stop GPS.
Oh wow, you are right, it doesn't turn it off. I've set Tasker to do that now but the problem seems to have abated after I uninstalled a few recently installed wallpaper apps. I hope it doesn't act up again.

I think the Z5(?) and G4 will have it for sure, but they are H2 phones and the Z5 may not come out until March of next and that will release with the S820.
Hey if the G4/OP2/X 2015/nexus/etc...coming out in the back half of the year have the 815 that would be grrrreat. But I guess I'm not fussed either way. But it does seem like the 815 is what the 810 should have been.

Real world performance versus phones that use 805 and 801 processors won't be noticeable either.

well I'm assuming there are other benefits to the 810 like more efficiencies for battery. I could be wrong. When I say no noticeable difference I just meant in terms of things you can see like apps opening and closing and whatnot.

Lead time in phone design will likely result in all this year's flagships having the 810 except the S6.

Time to market is a bitch and HTC basically rushed the M9 out with a bunch of half baked components just so they could be slaughtered by Samsung. Everyone else are avoiding April every year because of the "Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" But I guess HTC didn't get the memo.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm surprised people with older samsung phones aren't more pissed about the new touchwiz being so much better than the old one and not being able to get it.

That's a bitch move on samsung's part. At least hook up the year before with the new software.

Hasney

I'm surprised people with older samsung phones aren't more pissed about the new touchwiz being so much better than the old one and not being able to get it.

That's a bitch move on samsung's part. At least hook up the year before with the new software.

Well if they've got an S4 still, I doubt it's still fully working.

MercuryLS

Banned
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

still the front running 2015 android phone

Yup, this is the first Android phone that I'm super excited to own. I've been an iPhone owner for many years and recently gave Android a try with the OPO, but the S6 looks like the ideal phone. Like the Android's iPhone (and better in many ways), I'm counting down the days until this beast comes out.

Samsung is putting Lollipop on their flagships going back to the S3/Note II. The appearance of the UI isn't changing for consistency reasons but all the under the hood improvements, revised built in apps, and new features which don't depend on specific hardware have been pushed to flagship owners going back to 2012. Nobody else can say that about their flagships.

Hasney

I still couldn't deal with the S6's battery since it's even worse than the S4's which was unbearable for me. Looking at GSMArenas table, I have no idea how anyone survived with a Nexus 5, that's insane.

I still couldn't deal with the S6's battery since it's even worse than the S4's which was unbearable for me. Looking at GSMArenas table, I have no idea how anyone survived with a Nexus 5, that's insane.
My Galaxy Nexus used to die after lunch. Thankfully I had 3 batteries. Once they took replaceable batteries out, I was done with Nexus ✋ thankfully Nexus 6 life is decent. I'm not looking forward to another LG 5-inch Nexus phone lol

MercuryLS

Banned
My Galaxy Nexus used to die after lunch. Thankfully I had 3 batteries. Once they took replaceable batteries out, I was done with Nexus ✋ thankfully Nexus 6 life is decent. I'm not looking forward to another LG 5-inch Nexus phone lol

It's really disappointing that Google fucked up on the camera and battery on the N4/5 and with the 6 it's just way too big for a lot of people. At least there's OPO making high end phones at decent prices, hopefully they come out a compelling 5" phone this year. That would be great for a lot of people that don't want 5.5"+ phones. If the OPO was 5" with small bezels it would be hard for me to justify going for the S6 this year, even with all the great features you wouldn't find on cheaper phones.

kharma45

It's really disappointing that Google fucked up on the camera and battery on the N4/5 and with the 6 it's just way too big for a lot of people. At least there's OPO making high end phones at decent prices, hopefully they come out a compelling 5" phone this year. That would be great for a lot of people that don't want 5.5"+ phones. If the OPO was 5" with small bezels it would be hard for me to justify going for the S6 this year, even with all the great features you wouldn't find on cheaper phones.

I wouldn't call the OnePlus One high end. It may have had good specs like the SD801, 3GB of RAM and a 1080p display but the camera was pish, screen was poor outdoors and it had a lot of QA issues.

MercuryLS

Banned
I wouldn't call the OnePlus One high end. It may have had good specs like the SD801, 3GB of RAM and a 1080p display but the camera was pish, screen was poor outdoors and it had a lot of QA issues.

Yeah there are issues with the phone, the camera is serviceable (I consider it to be above average), and yeah it's hard to see outdoors even on max brightness. Mine hasn't had any issues hardware wise thankfully. Still it's better than any Nexus phone I've used (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4).

Toki767

Yeah there are issues with the phone, the camera is serviceable (I consider it to be above average), and yeah it's hard to see outdoors even on max brightness. Mine hasn't had any issues hardware wise thankfully. Still it's better than any Nexus phone I've used (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4).

Not really fair to compare a phone from last year to a phone from 3-4 years ago though.

MercuryLS

Banned
Not really fair to compare a phone from last year to a phone from 3-4 years ago though.

Those phones weren't so great even when they came out IMO, the galaxy nexus had a bad screen and the Nexus 4 had a poor camera and bad battery life. Nexus 5 had those same issues.

Toki767

Those phones weren't so great even when they came out IMO, the galaxy nexus had a bad screen and the Nexus 4 had a poor camera and bad battery life. Nexus 5 had those same issues.

In 2011 when the Galaxy Nexus came out, your choices for best Android smartphone for that year was basically the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S II, or that silly HTC Evo 3D thing.

At the time, it wasn't like it was horrible and every other phone was good.

MercuryLS

Banned
I really wish Samsung's AMOLED were a standard in all phones across the board. It's the one reason I keep coming back. The latest Note 4's screen is ridiculously amazing. I am sure the S6 will take all the cakes too.

The last AMOLED screen I've tried was with the Galaxy Nexus, that experience was so bad I stuck with IPS since then. I'm not sure if my eyes are ready for massive improvements in AMOLED tech with the S6.

In 2011 when the Galaxy Nexus came out, your choices for best Android smartphone for that year was basically the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S II, or that silly HTC Evo 3D thing.

At the time, it wasn't like it was horrible and every other phone was good.

The main issues with the gnex was its awful battery and some of the android bugs. The only people that cared about the screen were a select few geeks. The general public does not notice these things.

Top Bottom