• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
The Dbrand leather skin looks pretty fucking boss.

Not nearly as grippy as I'd hoped though. Helps some, but not enough.

XenqqSa.jpg

if they are just pointers instead of apps, then there isn't a difference. No big deal
Sure, for the MS apps and maybe a few others, but most of the preinstalled apps are gonna be the full app.

If the apps aren't running and using up power/Ram, and they aren't constantly updating themselves, then is there any practical difference?
Yes, there is a difference. Disabling them doesn't free up space. Actual uninstalling frees up space.

Hasney

The main issues with the gnex was its awful battery and some of the android bugs. The only people that cared about the screen were a select few geeks. The general public does not notice these things.

It looked awful compared to the iPhone 4/4S. I was done with iOS after my 3G but I was waiting for screens to catch up on Android for a couple of years.

MercuryLS

Banned
It looked awful compared to the iPhone 4/4S. I was done with iOS after my 3G but I was waiting for screens to catch up on Android for a couple of years.

It was, I don't understand how people with functioning eyes could call that screen "fine". Whites looked green, terrible color accuracy. With the new AMOLED screens, they seem to be lot better than the IPS panels in just about every metric. It took a while, but man those early AMOLED panels were pretty bad.

Just gross.

Toki767

It was, I don't understand how people with functioning eyes could call that screen "fine". Whites looked green, terrible color accuracy. With the new AMOLED screens, they seem to be lot better than the IPS panels in just about every metric. It took a while, but man those early AMOLED panels were pretty bad.

I wonder if it was mainly due to the matrix they used. The new ones go in some diamond pattern. Before it was just a continually repeating pattern.

MercuryLS

Banned
I wonder if it was mainly due to the matrix they used. The new ones go in some diamond pattern. Before it was just a continually repeating pattern.

I think so, also with a lower res seen the lack of true RGB is exacerbated. With QHD screens the lack of true RGB is a non issue due to the minuscule size of the pixels (along with the better sub pixel arrangements and tons of other improvements).

gcubed

The Dbrand leather skin looks pretty fucking boss.

Not nearly as grippy as I'd hoped though. Helps some, but not enough.

XenqqSa.jpg

i have the matte black, i love it. So much nicer than the regular back. Also a word of warning, be careful with how you clean the back of the phone. If you get it wet consistently (by even using a screen cleaner to clean the fingerprint magnet back), the letters start peeling away. Bunch of shit.

I actually got the back without the nexus cut out, just the M. I actually like the look better without the big ugly nexus on the back

The Galaxy Nexus screen was absolutely disgusting. Total shit. It was a joke that this shit could be called "720p". I was really disappointed when I turned my GN on the first time. So much, that I almost sent it back.

"The display on the Galaxy Nexus is a relatively significant feature here, as it's one of the first devices to sport a full 720p screen. The 1280 x 720, 4.65-inch display is quite a handsome affair, utilizing Super AMOLED technology, which produces rich colors while keeping battery consumption to a minimum. While the screen is a pentile display, the crispness of text and images was far superior to most lower resolution pentile displays I've seen."

- Joshua Topolsky, The Verge.

I honestly believed that shit. It's one thing to be biased, but a whole other thing not being able to see anymore and still review shit.

Fact is, the Galaxy Nexus screen was a bunch of shit and I don't believe for a second that it wasn't, when it came out in late 2011.

MercuryLS

Banned
The Galaxy Nexus screen was absolutely disgusting. Total shit. It was a joke that this shit could be called "720p". I was really disappointed when I turned my GN on the first time. So much, that I almost sent it back.

"The display on the Galaxy Nexus is a relatively significant feature here, as it's one of the first devices to sport a full 720p screen. The 1280 x 720, 4.65-inch display is quite a handsome affair, utilizing Super AMOLED technology, which produces rich colors while keeping battery consumption to a minimum. While the screen is a pentile display, the crispness of text and images was far superior to most lower resolution pentile displays I've seen."

- Joshua Topolsky, The Verge.

I honestly believed that shit. It's one thing to be biased, but a whole other thing not being able to see anymore and still review shit.

Fact is, the Galaxy Nexus screen was a bunch of shit and I don't believe for a second that it wasn't, when it came out in late 2011.

It was due to that review I bought the device as an "upgrade" over my 4S, needless to say I went back to the 4S with the quickness. I remember arguing with people here saying I was picky when I said the screen was shit. Topolsky must be blind have called that screen great.

It was due to that review I bought the device as an "upgrade" over my 4S, needless to say I went back to the 4S with the quickness. I remember arguing with people here saying I was picky when I said the screen was shit. Topolsky must be blind have called that screen great.

But you must be wrong, because the screen is 720p and the iPhone isn't!

Well, at least half of the screen was 720p.

MercuryLS

Banned
But you must be wrong, because the screen is 720p and the iPhone isn't!

Well, at least half of the screen was 720p.

lol, that pic I posted shows how bad it was. I'm picky when it comes to whites, but man that shit wasn't even close to white. It was straight up green, I couldn't believe it the first time I browsed a site on it. I just couldn't believe that a company could ship a screen so poor, I thought my phone was defective at first.

MercuryLS

Banned
That's the joke! It's not a hardware button, it's a fingerprint reader. It makes the triple bezel on the HTC One just more obvious.

That's just odd looking. I see that HTC raided the Nexus 5 parts bin with that camera. I know that HTC has a really amazing phone in them, they just can't seem to execute fully. It's a shame.

That physical button makes no sense. It looks too small to be a fingerprint sensor unless it's the swiping kind like on the S5. And if so, no wonder they canned it lol.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's like an iPhone. But with a better screen and a better daylight camera. If you wanted an iPhone looking device, but don't like iOS or are already committed to the Google ecosystem, I guess Samsung made a phone for you. I think it will do well.

It's like an iPhone. But with a better screen and a better daylight camera. If you wanted an iPhone looking device, but don't like iOS or are already committed to the Google ecosystem, I guess Samsung made a phone for you. I think it will do well.
I agree that the S6 is the closest to an iphone competitor that there has been.

Still holding out it gets one upped by a different flagship this year.

Reading your post I thought you were talking about the M9. Good thing you meant the S6.

Talon

It will do well in the US, but I don't think it's going to do well in other 1st world markets - only because we have opaque pricing due to contract subsidies.

Premium Android customers go buy iPhones en masse - we saw that shit happen in the last 8 months. Cheap phones in emerging markets will go straight to Xiaomi (China) and Micromax (India). Everyone in between is getting progressively squeezed out.

Samsung mobile isn't going to die or anything, but its best days are in the past (S3-S4 era).
lowered-expectations.jpg

The thirst is real apparently. Was ready to get a Note 4 today then I'm told that they have been running through stock all week and another shipment was due Thursday or Friday.

EDIT:

But what about Note 4 owners? They JUST got their phone not that long ago and then a few months later a much better version of their own touchwiz os doesn't come to them? lollllll
I actually am kinda passed about that even though I don't own a note 4 yet. Stuff like a more streamlined os, themes, and disabling of apps are all stuff I would love on my soon to be phone.

MercuryLS

Banned

That's pretty much what I wanted, the Android iPhone. Samsung's is better with OIS, high dpi screen, more ram and wireless charging. The negatives don't matter to me since I've been using iOS devices with sealed in batteries and no SD card slots since 07.

Talon

Apparently Sony is putting a flash next to the front facing camera in upcoming phones.
That's some real innovation right there.
This is great. The same assholes that leave flash on when taking photos in broad daylight will now be blinding themselves with selfies.

The thirst is real apparently. Was ready to get a Note 4 today then I'm told that they have been running through stock all week and another shipment was due Thursday or Friday.

EDIT:

I actually am kinda passed abo UT that e c en though I don't own a note 4 yet. Stuff like a more streamlined os, themes, and disabling of apps are all stuff I would love on my soon to be phone.
Don't even want the new software tbqh. There are no slowdowns on the Note 4, so removing extra features isn't going to make a difference. And my brother has a Galaxy S4, it's still in one piece lol I imagine some Nexus 4s are starting to drop dead, so it's not even a Samsung specific problem.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It will do well in the US, but I don't think it's going to do well in other 1st world markets - only because we have opaque pricing due to contract subsidies.

Premium Android customers go buy iPhones en masse - we saw that shit happen in the last 8 months. Cheap phones in emerging markets will go straight to Xiaomi (China) and Micromax (India). Everyone in between is getting progressively squeezed out.

Samsung mobile isn't going to die or anything, but its best days are in the past (S3-S4 era).
lowered-expectations.jpg

Let's be honest, it's gonna do well everywhere

http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-buoyed-by-strong-galaxy-s6-preorders/

MercuryLS

Banned
With all these slender and light phones from major (and minor OEMs), the HTC One's look and feel so clunky. Huge bezels, high weight for a small device and really thick (the M9 is thicker than the M8!). They need a complete design refresh, total reboot like Sammy did with the S6.

mclem

Something I'm trying to get my head around:

I've recently started purchasing music on Google Play. I've set it to store on my SD card, and that's all working adequately, as far as I can tell.

I've also got some music from Humble Bundles, and this is confusing me. It seems to install to Play Music with the album imported properly with the thumbnail - but it seems to be storing that music on the device memory, not the SD card.

I could shift the data over to the SD card by hand, but I can't see how to update the references to it in Play Music.

Wreav

Banned

I've recently started purchasing music on Google Play. I've set it to store on my SD card, and that's all working adequately, as far as I can tell.

I've also got some music from Humble Bundles, and this is confusing me. It seems to install to Play Music with the album imported properly with the thumbnail - but it seems to be storing that music on the device memory, not the SD card.

I could shift the data over to the SD card by hand, but I can't see how to update the references to it in Play Music.

This is why the 10 bucks a month I spend on streaming services is the best money I spend.

Note 4 also has flash on the front camera and I found out accidentally 😭😭

Edit: hmm, I can't seem to find it anymore... I remember sharing my humiliation on Snapchat :x

Husker86

Play Music will rescan your device for media. If you move it to the SD card it will find it. I think there is a refresh button in the settings if it isn't finding it after the move.

mclem

Play Music will rescan your device for media. If you move it to the SD card it will find it. I think there is a refresh button in the settings if it isn't finding it after the move.

Oh, that makes life a lot easier, then. I thought there was some sort of updatable catalogue for it.

The annoying thing about things that are designed to Just Work is that there's very little documentation that says they do, and very little recourse if, despite that, they don't!

Hasney

Note 4 also has flash on the front camera and I found out accidentally 😭😭

Edit: hmm, I can't seem to find it anymore... I remember sharing my humiliation on Snapchat :x

Maybe you just took a picture while Touchwiz was being particularly bright and obnoxious?!

I just looked it up, it's a specific SnapChat feature that flashes the screen.

Top Bottom