• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Cyrillus

Just got a Nexus 6, and I'm still plagued by an issue on Lollipop (5.0.1) that has occurred on 3 devices now (Nexus 6, 5, and 7 2nd Gen). The issue is with the WiFi settings screen, or perhaps it's just turning WiFi on/off. When the device first boots up, if left to its own devices it can take up to 5 minutes for the WiFi to turn on. Now, I can go into the WiFi settings app (either through the pull-down notification tray or by opening the Settings app and navigating to it), but when I try to turn WiFi on, the app just hangs, for upwards of a minute, before the radio turns on and WiFi networks show up.

Once the radio is on and the networks show up, I can connect/disconnect from networks with no problem, and the connection itself is pretty rock solid (with the exception of the Nexus 5, which seems to lose connection for about 10 seconds every few minutes).

I've Googled to see if the problem is prevalent, but all the WiFi issues I see documented for Lollipop discuss actual connection issues, which I don't seem to have.

Have others been having this particular problem, and if so, has 5.1.0 helped at all?

Saiyan-Rox

Just got a Nexus 6, and I'm still plagued by an issue on Lollipop (5.0.1) that has occurred on 3 devices now (Nexus 6, 5, and 7 2nd Gen). The issue is with the WiFi settings screen, or perhaps it's just turning WiFi on/off. When the device first boots up, if left to its own devices it can take up to 5 minutes for the WiFi to turn on. Now, I can go into the WiFi settings app (either through the pull-down notification tray or by opening the Settings app and navigating to it), but when I try to turn WiFi on, the app just hangs, for upwards of a minute, before the radio turns on and WiFi networks show up.

Once the radio is on and the networks show up, I can connect/disconnect from networks with no problem, and the connection itself is pretty rock solid (with the exception of the Nexus 5, which seems to lose connection for about 10 seconds every few minutes).

I've Googled to see if the problem is prevalent, but all the WiFi issues I see documented for Lollipop discuss actual connection issues, which I don't seem to have.

Have others been having this particular problem, and if so, has 5.1.0 helped at all?

doesnt sound like a lollipop issue more of your router is busted

Cyrillus

I appreciate the responses, but it's definitely not the router. This issue occurs in multiple locations, and happens with all 4 routers I use on a regular basis, including some enterprise Aruba AP's we maintain at work.

And to clarify, it's not the connecting to the router that takes forever. In fact, from typing in the network password and hitting connect, it takes 2-3 seconds to obtain an IP address and connect to a network, which is faster than most Windows machines I've used.

The issue is when turning WiFi on (or when the OS turns WiFi on at startup), the process just hangs. If you sit in the Wi-Fi settings screen and turn WiFi off, then toggle it back on, it will sit at this screen:
KRBUVaTm.png

For upwards of a minute before showing the available wireless networks. While the app is frozen, I can't press the back button or toggle the wifi on/off again, but I can use the app switching button or home button to get to the home screen or other apps and they respond fine. Seems definitely like an OS issue, but I figured I'd see if anyone on GAF had noticed something like this, because I can't find mention of it online.

I will try flashing the Nexus 6 to 5.1 tonight and see if that helps.

Saiyan-Rox

I appreciate the responses, but it's definitely not the router. This issue occurs in multiple locations, and happens with all 4 routers I use on a regular basis, including some enterprise Aruba AP's we maintain at work.

And to clarify, it's not the connecting to the router that takes forever. In fact, from typing in the network password and hitting connect, it takes 2-3 seconds to obtain an IP address and connect to a network, which is faster than most Windows machines I've used.

The issue is when turning WiFi on (or when the OS turns WiFi on at startup), the process just hangs. If you sit in the Wi-Fi settings screen and turn WiFi off, then toggle it back on, it will sit at this screen:
KRBUVaTm.png

For upwards of a minute before showing the available wireless networks. While the app is frozen, I can't press the back button or toggle the wifi on/off again, but I can use the app switching button or home button to get to the home screen or other apps and they respond fine. Seems definitely like an OS issue, but I figured I'd see if anyone on GAF had noticed something like this, because I can't find mention of it online.

I will try flashing the Nexus 6 to 5.1 tonight and see if that helps.

the fact it's happening on 3 devices is strange. can you flash KK back on the nexus 5/7 and and see if it still happens?

Cyrillus

Wow...sorry for wasting everyone's time, turns out it was an app causing the issue. Just to clarify, it was happening on all 3 of my Android devices.

I just did a factory reset on the Nexus 6 and didn't attach my Google account to it, to prevent it auto-downloading my purchased/backed up apps, and the problem is no longer there.

Now to figure out which app is causing the issue.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm curious to find out which app it was too, probably should report it to the developers/Google when you find out.

Saiyan-Rox

Apparently 5.1.1 will roll up all the minor differences whenever that comes out.

wonder if it'll include that memory fix that people have been going on about too. guess we'll see soon but as it stands it's a big mess how Google are handling the 5.1 on the N6

and hey it's got what 4 builds now when the N9 has none xD

Hasney

wonder if it'll include that memory fix that people have been going on about too. guess we'll see soon but as it stands it's a big mess how Google are handling the 5.1 on the N6

and hey it's got what 4 builds now when the N9 has none xD

It's not really a mess I don't think. I flashed the first OTA available and it's run like a dream since. Assuming the memory leak will be fixed again somewhat in the next point release, but who knows with Google.

As for Nexus 9, they're just waiting on some stability updates first.

premium.gif

Saiyan-Rox

It's not really a mess I don't think. I flashed the first OTA available and it's run like a dream since. Assuming the memory leak will be fixed again somewhat in the next point release, but who knows with Google.

premium.gif

having more than 1 image shouldn't have been a thing although I can see people complaining if they had to wait longer for the update for Google to combine them together first.

Heh I saw that xD the N9 isn't getting much praise.

Husker86

So I sold my motorcycle yesterday (*cries*), but now I will have no regrets to treating myself to an S6 Edge. This damn phone needs to release...

I know some OEMs are getting better, but if they love to copy Apple so much, I wish they'd copy their announce/release schedule for new devices.

Reven

I cant decide if I should get a N6 or Z3 now, or just wait for the S6's to release. They are supposed to come out at the beginning of April, right?

premium.gif

I have never had that issue with mine. The janky operating system is killing me though. It is really tiring Google is failing to get 5.1 out for it.

My 1st Gen Moto G was okay for a while but now it seems like it can barely run the web browser or play a podcast through Beyond Pod without frequent crashes. Listening to a podcast or music and have a text come through? Crash. Ugh. Love the battery life though...

I have no idea what phone to get to replace it. No one sounds happy with anything. Any suggestions for a mid-tier phone?

MercuryLS

Banned
My 1st Gen Moto G was okay for a while but now it seems like it can barely run the web browser or play a podcast through Beyond Pod without frequent crashes. Listening to a podcast or music and have a text come through? Crash. Ugh. Love the battery life though...

I have no idea what phone to get to replace it. No one sounds happy with anything. Any suggestions for a mid-tier phone?

What's the price bracket your look at?

Talon

LG G2 is only $190 on eBay right now.

L.O.R.D

i went to search for the gold m9 , its not available yet
all i can see is the silver with gold frame

but damn , they are offering 2 year warranty

Samsung is putting Lollipop on their flagships going back to the S3/Note II. The appearance of the UI isn't changing for consistency reasons but all the under the hood improvements, revised built in apps, and new features which don't depend on specific hardware have been pushed to flagship owners going back to 2012. Nobody else can say that about their flagships.

The Note 2 lollipop is likely vaporware. Fortunately cm12 lollipop is stable as all fuck, and no touchwiz which is untouchable levels of ugly on a note 2.

Saiyan-Rox

Grab a Nexus 5?

Chorazin

Saw that AT&T was doing a special where if you bought a Nexus 6 or Moto X you got $100 off of a Moto 360. $150 is pretty much what I'd be willing to pay for something like this. Went in and asked if I could get the discount, even though I bought a N6 two weeks ago. Manager looked over the promo and my account and said I was good to go.

So, I have a shiny new Moto 360 on my wrist. It's actually pretty cool, and the battery is suprisingly good. I'm still at 60% and I took it off the charger 7 hours ago. I haven't been using it heavily, but I doubt I'd use it hard while at work since my phone is a foot from me at all times. I'll be at a convention this weekend with my N6 in my bag when walking around, so I'm looking forward to see how it holds up with more use.

catmincer

Alright my mum needs a new phone.

Looking at the Moto e or xperia e4. Both are the same price but I am not sure which to go for? She has terrible sight so I thought maybe the bigger screen on e4 would be good? I cannot find any reviews for it though to check.

What is the better option?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Alright my mum needs a new phone.

Looking at the Moto e or xperia e4. Both are the same price but I am not sure which to go for? She has terrible sight so I thought maybe the bigger screen on e4 would be good? I cannot find any reviews for it though to check.

What is the better option?

Pricing on each? Are you in Europe?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks everyone. Ordered the Tmobile version of the LG G2. Looks good even if I had to pay a little more to be on Tmobile.

You'll be happy. It's not crazy new, but the hardware is light years beyond the Moto G!

Let us know what you think when you get it. My SO has the AT&T variant and she is happy.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah, I kinda winced when I saw that it was new in 2013, but it's still got to be so much better than what I have.

It's got a great 1080p screen, 2gigs of ram, a Snapdragon 800 SOC and a large battery. The only downside is that it's a bit plasticky, but performance will be rock solid and better than pretty much all budget handsets from 2014/2015.

kharma45

It's got a great 1080p screen, 2gigs of ram, a Snapdragon 800 SOC and a large battery. The only downside is that it's a bit plasticky, but performance will be rock solid and better than pretty much all budget handsets from 2014/2015.

And the Lollipop update made the UI a lot nicer too by bringing the G3 one over.

MercuryLS

Banned
S6 Edge for me!

As cool as the Edge looks, those extra features don't seem to be very compelling. I also think that the regular S6 will be more comfortable in the hand and when holding it in landscape. Will have to try them both out to be sure, but for now I'm sticking with the regular S6.

NH Apache

Banned
The Note 2 lollipop is likely vaporware. Fortunately cm12 lollipop is stable as all fuck, and no touchwiz which is untouchable levels of ugly on a note 2.

Had to switch off cm12 for my note 2 as there were still minor things that grabbed at me, like having to occasionally battery pull to end a phone call, no netflix, etc.

I don't think many developers will make use of the edge. Many are not taking advantage of Note 4 multitasking and S-pen as it is. (the ones that do are awesome though).

Top Bottom