• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

markot

Banned
Apple copying someone?

No, you guys, they just get copied. Theyre the fountain of all originality in this terrilbe world of ours.

Avixph

ZVvpYHm.png
MAZMicR.png

Hey peeps I have to make some clarifications on the above pics. According to the user andreif on Reddit, the screen measurements of 107.32mm x 64.36mm would not have a 16:9 aspect ratio and would only results in a 4.93" screen. For it can have a 16:9 aspect ratio a screen with a 64.36mm width would need a 114.4mm height which will result with a 5.16" screen. Based on these asumptions the phone's screen will look like the following:

qFDVmz4.jpg
aem8QD4.jpg

Wreav

Banned
Yes because they had never seen an HTC One before they made the i6...

They copied the HTC just like the galaxy is a copy of the iphones hardware. Not a complete ripoff but design elements were copied.
Brushed aluminum alloy had been around far longer than the M series, and that's where the similarities end.

gcubed

Yeah Apple pretty much put the same ugly lines on the back except it's way uglier than on the HTC One.

I still can't get over the ugly ass outlining on the 6. Everything else is really nice, but I can't believe that made it through design meetings

Furyous

Brushed aluminum alloy had been around far longer than the M series, and that's where the similarities end.

Apple's iphone 6/6+ were natural design choices and a result of evolution. Think about it: Apple couldn't get away with using the exact same design for the iphone 6/6+.

Apple and HTC have a licensing pact in place and best believe if real similarities existed HTC wouldn't hesitate to sue Apple.

Let's not confuse Apple/HTC design with the outright obsession Samsung has with Apple as legally documented around the world and confirmed in court over trade dress.

*looks at S6 pictures*

Is it me or is that a five inch phone???

*looks at S6 pictures again*

Wait..... y'all realize this means 5 inches is the new flagship design right? I'M PARTYING as we speak. Someone pull up the party gifs. Samsung's Apple obession set to the side for now, that device looks great. This bodes well for one handed use of 2015 smartphones. I hope Sony and LG take this to heart and plans accordingly.

Wreav

Banned
Wife's S5 5.0 update just installed, and I'll eat a bit of crow...Sammy managed to keep most of the lollipop animations intact, and the notifications are worlds better than stock TW.

One Plus 2 is probably the phone I'm most excited about. Top end specs for $350? I'll be in day 1. Paying $600 for a Galaxy S6 doesn't sound appealing.

So looking at those renders with the cases, the top/bottom bezels really are huge. Anyway, can't wait to see what new TouchWiz looks like.

And lord at that camera bump. That's gotta be a big sensor, right?

"the closest thing to a skip year in mobile phones"
You were right. You were right all along.
Maybe

----

Edit:

Even if the S6 is a great device with huge improvements to TouchWiz, I wouldn't get it anyway. 5" displays are too small, in my opinion. After playing with the Nexus 6 and Note 4, I need a phone with a similar sizes display as those.

Sch1sm

One Plus 2 is probably the phone I'm most excited about. Top end specs for $350? I'll be in day 1. Paying $600 for a Galaxy S6 doesn't sound appealing.

Surprised it'll be that cheap again. It's more than that for me after fees and the like, but promising, still. Not a huge fan of those colours on OxygenOS, though.

Avixph

Honestly, anyone in this thread who gets a Galaxy S6 should be banned.
Wow what's your problem.

So looking at those renders with the cases, the top/bottom bezels really are huge. Anyway, can't wait to see what new TouchWiz looks like.

----

If you read the following post of mind you will know that the screen measurements in the sketches might be incorrect.
ZVvpYHm.png
MAZMicR.png

Hey peeps I have to make some clarifications on the above pics. According to the user andreif on Reddit, the screen measurements of 107.32mm x 64.36mm would not have a 16:9 aspect ratio and would only results in a 4.93" screen. For it can have a 16:9 aspect ratio a screen with a 64.36mm width would need a 114.4mm height which will result with a 5.16" screen. Based on these asumptions the phone's screen will look like the following:

qFDVmz4.jpg
aem8QD4.jpg

Husker86

Damn those top and bottom bezels. Sammy going backwards. I'll hold off on criticism since those aren't official.

The adjustment of the schematics looks fine, but it's still all just guessing.

The S6 isn't a bad buy. Samsungs hold their resale value most next to Apple, unlike HTC or LG whose resale values sink like a brick. I would be skeptical of it due to them using their own processor, which has unknown performance at this point and much less development in the modding community though.

Gotta admit, just based on the way the backs of those phones look, they're the best looking mobile products to come out of Samsung. Unfortunately, the home button and Samsung logo will ruin the attractiveness of the front.

Can't believe they are sticking with the whole (double) edge thing. Such a useless gimmick.

If you read the following post of mind you will know that the screen measurements in the sketches might be incorrect.
Maybe, but I'm looking at the renders of the phone in all those cases, and they show big bezels. Not a big deal though. I was just hoping they would go the LG route of tiny bezels.

S6 does look good for a samsung phone hardware wise. Camera hump looks ugly as sin, not sure why it's a big square and shit. Not sure why the M9 also has a big square. Who thinks this looks good lol.

I'm obviously not making any decision until I see the Moto X 2015 and at least rumours on the nexus 2015. And by then the one plus 2 will already be out so it will be easier to choose. But I definitely wouldn't waste an upgrade on some of the stuff I've seen so far. Seems like a buy off-contract kind of year barring any surprises later in the year.

Top Bottom