• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When is lollipop coming to xperia Z3 in the UK? I hate having my phone forced to have a PiN lock and no lockscreen widgets (due to work email), and lollipop gives me widgets back plus smart unlock with my G watch R so that gets around the PIN

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting feedback. I guess I should be more specific. Here are some of my priorities:

- Battery life minimum of 1 day
- Good camera
- Fast processing

z3 compact PAYG from O2 then unlock it for a tenner if you aren't on O2.

Edit: looks like the offer has expired so it is more expensive now.

Didn't know on-body smart unlock had been added until today. It now doesn't re-lock until it's laid flat somewhere.

Thank you, I didn't know about that either. But Trusted Face keeps crashing on me now. Probably because the camera is somehow busted. Or is a camera that randomly stops working ("can't connect to the camera") a known issue with the Nexus 5?

Hasney

Thank you, I didn't know about that either. But Trusted Face keeps crashing on me now. Probably because the camera is somehow busted. Or is a camera that randomly stops working ("can't connect to the camera") a known issue with the Nexus 5?

Just googled it and looks like a problem with Nexus 5 yeah. Only solution I saw was to disable it :/

Front camera has a lot of issues.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I put my old iPhone sim into my nexus 6 when I got it (Verizon), so I have not seen the 5.1 update yet, will I have to download and install from online? Where can I get the update?

MarkusRJR

Can someone help? Android's OS is draining my battery way too much. Literally only a single hour of on screen time and the battery is almost dead. I have a Moto G second generation if that matters.

dDSkNdv.jpg

Ignore the lack of SIM card, just took it out while I'm charging it and am using it on my old Windows Phone.

Dobsie

A quick read on the LG G2 makes it seem like a great phone, but let down by LG software. Anyone have any views on that?

Thanks again for your help.

Just got a G2 myself, yes the software is a bit crappy but I have since installed CM12 on it which is very stable.
The battery life is amazing on this thing, i can get 6 hours sot easily without any kernel tweaks.
Only thing that lets it down is the camera is not very good under low light conditions when using aosp roms. This isn't a problem if you stick to the stock LG rom.
The phone is a bit plasticky but this isn't a problem for me as i put a soft touch case on it. The buttons are on the back which may be a bit jarring at first but after the first week it was second nature to me.

Guys, S6 or iPhone 6?

Can get a new phone in two weeks. Currently using a LG G2.

I really want a phone with a good camera, and from what I've read those two phones both have very good cameras, the S6 maybe even more so.

Another plus of the S6: Screen seems to be top notch.

Design wise, I like the iPhone better.
Personally I'd go for the S6 or S6 edge. I used an iPhone 6 Plus for a month or so and could not stand going from Android to iOS. It was just so different, to be expected. One of the biggest annoyances was tabs constantly refreshing after switching an app. And I really like widgets a lot. And the camera on the S6 looks as spectacular as the iPhone 6 Plus. iOS 8 constantly freezed on me, crashed and the screen became unresponsive multiple times for me and I had to wait about ten seconds before it caught up and was responsive. Really weird.

Mindwipe

When is lollipop coming to xperia Z3 in the UK? I hate having my phone forced to have a PiN lock and no lockscreen widgets (due to work email), and lollipop gives me widgets back plus smart unlock with my G watch R so that gets around the PIN

No one knows, unfortunately.

Sony are being vague as fuck.

Husker86

Played with the S6 and Edge at AT&T...man...I think I gotta go with the normal S6. One handed use on the Edge, even with their supposed palm rejection, is gonna be an issue. Just swiping the homescreens wasn't working always since part of my palm would hit the edge.

I still think it looks better, and yes Wreav, I still think paying for looks is just fine...BUT, paying extra for something that functions worse is a no-no for me.

hitsugi

When Nilay says that you know it's serious because it takes a lot to drag him from his iphone. But forreal it's a goddamn no brainer. Nex5 with updated camera and battery and we're GOOD.

pick your poison bud, that's the name of the game when it comes to Android. You're always going to have to sacrifice SOMETHING. It's all about what you value. Camera, battery, sofrware, timely updates, etc...

If you value the latter 2 then yeah LGs UX is meh and they will take a long time to update it. If it's just a temp phone for you then who cares. If you don't mind average battery life get a Moto X 2014. You can also get a OnePlus One if you'd like.

The Nexus 5 was just a few steps from perfection. It could reach that even today if they:

reduced the bezel a bit (cause why not)
threw the S6 camera in it
improved the battery

I loved the size, shape and general feel of that phone.. I could even tolerate charging 1-2 times a day.. but the camera....

DrFurbs

fuck it -rooted my nexus 5 and installed ElementalX. hopefully this will give me some decent battery management time combined with Leandroid, greenify and that Kernel.

The Nexus 5 was just a few steps from perfection. It could reach that even today if they:

reduced the bezel a bit (cause why not)
threw the S6 camera in it
improved the battery

I loved the size, shape and general feel of that phone.. I could even tolerate charging 1-2 times a day.. but the camera....
Seeing my friends who own Nexus 5 living wall to wall like apes live from tree to tree, I'd say the battery life is the most offensive thing about it. >_>

clav

What's the battery life for your devices with the screen turned off most of the time?

On my S3, I get 23 hours with 10 minutes of on screen time.

I'm wondering if the S6 will have even better battery life or do I need to replace the battery on the S3?

Do I even need a smartphone at all?

What's the battery life for your devices with the screen turned off most of the time?

On my S3, I get 23 hours with 10 minutes of on screen time.

I'm wondering if the S6 will have even better battery life or do I need to replace the battery on the S3?
Screen off seems to not matter at all for me, I get 7-9 hours of screen time on my Note 4. This translated to 46 hours of running time 2 days ago, and 39 hours yesterday.

When did you buy the Note 4?
In mid-February.

Lol I forgot to answer the second part of your post xD

Is your phone slowing down? If so I'd look into getting a new phone. Phones are considerably faster nowadays and smoother. If not though, you could do with buying spare batteries. I had 3 batteries with my Nexus and have 2 batteries with my Note 4 and it's incredibly convenient to not care about battery life.

Edit: Ohhh I read that as 23 hours AND 10 minutes of running time, not 23 hours on 10 minutes of screen on time >< my bad &#128534;

Get a new battery, that's very abnormal.

clav

In mid-February.

Lol I forgot to answer the second part of your post xD

Is your phone slowing down? If so I'd look into getting a new phone. Phones are considerably faster nowadays and smoother. If not though, you could do with buying spare batteries. I had 3 batteries with my Nexus and have 2 batteries with my Note 4 and it's incredibly convenient to not care about battery life.

I'm OK with my phone.

Annoyed with the camera in low light, so I wanted a high-end Lumia with PureView for the longest time.

Also annoyed with the battery because I'm mostly connected to wifi all the time. On mobile data, the battery drains quickly especially over LTE.

Performance is acceptable although I hate the keyboard. I've tried swype, swiftkey, and Google keyboard. Stuck with google keyboard. None of them do autocorrect as well as Windows Phone/ iPhone.

Edit: Ohhh I read that as 23 hours AND 10 minutes of running time, not 23 hours on 10 minutes of screen on time >< my bad &#65533;&#65533;

Get a new battery, that's very abnormal.

My fault. I didn't make that clear.

You think a new battery would solve it? I've read the S3 has a lot of issues with low battery life. Even people who buy new batteries say replacements are worse than the original ones.

You can tell that I don't really use my phone a lot.

I'm OK with my phone.

Annoyed with the camera in low light, so I wanted a high-end Lumia with PureView for the longest time.

Also annoyed with the battery because I'm mostly connected to wifi all the time. On mobile data, the battery drains quickly.
This happened to my mom's Galaxy S3 as well, whenever she turned service on her phone would die even if she had 80% left. Is that what's happening to you? If so, replacing the battery turned her phone back to normal, it might work for you too.

clav

This happened to my mom's Galaxy S3 as well, whenever she turned service on her phone would die even if she had 80% left. Is that what's happening to you? If so, replacing the battery turned her phone back to normal, it might work for you too.

No. The phone lasts 3-4 hours on mobile data (or longer). What's the lifespan on your mom's phone now? That is, what is supposed to be normal?

Also, radio sucks on this phone. A low-end Lumia phone gets better antenna reception than this phone. For Android low-end, Moto G also has good antennas.

No. The phone lasts 3-4 hours on mobile data (or longer). What's the lifespan on your mom's phone now? That is, what is supposed to be normal?

Also, radio sucks on this phone. A low-end Lumia phone gets better antenna reception than this phone. For Android low-end, Moto G also has good antennas.

Ahh, I haven't asked her xD Sorry. It's usually on the charger whenever I see her so maybe it's not all that great.

I guess you can't go wrong with a Galaxy S6. I have heard mixed-reviews when it comes to battery life, but it has the best camera of any phone hands down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had a few phone calls with people saying they had trouble hearing me. Anyone with a Z3 had a similar problem? If I try using a voice recorder app will that roughly reflect how well the mic would work in a call?

Husker86

I have added the black S6 to my Amazon cart and got to the checkout page twice before I removed it from my cart.

I'm having way too much trouble deciding...

One other thing that makes me want to go against the Edge is that Lifeproof will have a case for the S6, but there are currently no plans for a case for the Edge. I like having the option of throwing on a Lifeproof case for some vacations and such.

I hate decisions.

I have added the black S6 to my Amazon cart and got to the checkout page twice before I removed it from my cart.

One other thing that makes me want to go against the Edge is that Lifeproof will have a case for the S6, but there are currently no plans for a case for the Edge. I like having the option of throwing on a Lifeproof case for some vacations and such.

I hate decisions.

Just envision that time when you drop the edge and your phone is destroyed because you couldn't protect it properly. Let someone else figure out how easy it is to shatter the edge.

Husker86

Just envision that time when you drop the edge and your phone is destroyed because you couldn't protect it properly. Let someone else figure out how easy it is to shatter the edge.

I won't give Wreav the satisfaction by saying I didn't order the Edge because of fragility (I didn't, I really didn't!), but...S6 flat has been pre-ordered.

Kinda off topic but do any Note 4 owners know a good place to port image clips to that will turn it into html so that I can link it or post it on forums?

MercuryLS

Banned
Pluses and minuses I've read about the edge:

- Green cast on the edge of the screen on white background
- Glare on both curves
- Sharper feel in the hand vs. the regular S6
- When holding it it's possible to active the side of the display due to your finger/palm touching the edges of the screen

+ Sorta gimmicky edge features
+ Looks futuristic
+ Slightly better battery life (+50mah)

clav

Black S6 proper 64GB

I hate decisions.

What is the reasoning behind color choice?

Top Bottom