• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

L.O.R.D

the remaining storage out of box HTC m9

XeJSkuq.jpg

1.9GB apps ?

Need some help deciding for my 60 yr old mom. She has a 1st gen Moto g and is having trouble seeing the screen well. I came up with below pros and cons. Any others?

Nexus 6
Better battery life
Similar to current devices - Easier to adjust to
Huge screen - Can ditch laggy nexus 7 2012
Slightly Cheaper - buying off contract in US

Galaxy S6
Best Camera on market
Smaller size
Brighter in sunlight
More premium

Note 4.

that's your moms dawg. she deserves #THEBEST

Still can't decide.

I need more impressions on the S6.

Right now it feels like Master Chief Collection hype.

it's the best phone released in 2015. or 2nd best if you own a Nexus but championed a Note Edge. definitely the coolest looking, coolest feeling, coolest running and coolest thermal performance Android Mobile Handset this calendar year.

clav

it's the best phone released in 2015. or 2nd best if you own a Nexus but championed a Note Edge. definitely the coolest looking, coolest feeling, coolest running and coolest thermal performance Android Mobile Handset this calendar year.

I need a video on someone opening the back cover and removing screws to access the battery.

Need some help deciding for my 60 yr old mom. She has a 1st gen Moto g and is having trouble seeing the screen well. I came up with below pros and cons. Any others?

Nexus 6
Better battery life
Similar to current devices - Easier to adjust to
Huge screen - Can ditch laggy nexus 7 2012
Slightly Cheaper - buying off contract in US

Galaxy S6
Best Camera on market
Smaller size
Brighter in sunlight
More premium

Are you seriously considering getting TouchWiz, the KDE 4 of phone UIs, for your mom?

Note 4 or iPhone 6+

Shes 60 and used to a nexus 7 and Moto G. She is not going anywhere near an ecosystem switch.

Note 4.

that's your moms dawg. she deserves #THEBEST

Note 4 is not a bad idea but I dont feel it has benefits to her over the s6. She doesnt care about more than a day battery life and thought the stylus was stupid

Are you seriously considering getting TouchWiz, the KDE 4 of phone UIs, for your mom?

Yes I understand all of this for someone that doesn't have help close by. I will be setting up the home screen, disabling apps and installing the google now launcher.

MercuryLS

Banned
Samsung seriously needs to set up some 24 hour special hotline for my mom with her S3 lol. I suggested an iPhone 6+ but she's dead set on the S6 😱

The new don't-call-me-touchwiz on the S6 actually looks pretty decent (outside of the dated looking icons). From the hands on I've seen the design of the apps are much nicer and closer to material design principles and the settings menu looks clean and logical. Even advanced features like multi-window look intuitive (hold down the multitasking button to engage it or do it from a small icon on app cards from the multitasking mode). I don't see what's so bad about the new Samsung software, it looks a lot better than the stuff they've used in the past.

The new don't-call-me-touchwiz on the S6 actually looks pretty decent (outside of the dated looking icons). From the hands on I've seen the design of the apps are much nicer and closer to material design principles and the settings menu looks clean and logical. Even advanced features like multi-window look intuitive (hold down the multitasking button to engage it or do it from a small icon on app cards from the multitasking mode). I don't see what's so bad about the new Samsung software, it looks a lot better than the stuff they've used in the past.

It's a question of ease of use, not design. TouchWiz doesn't look too offensive to me except the signature puke blue colour. But I wouldn't want to explain multitasking to my mom. She is going to have 5 applications running at the same time and she won't do anything about it LOL

Easy mode on touchwiz is exactly what they need.

That is so ugly. I felt like I was handing my mom one of those fake Chinese iPads when I turned that on.

MercuryLS

Banned
It's a question of ease of use, not design. TouchWiz doesn't look too offensive to me except the signature puke blue colour. But I wouldn't want to explain multitasking to my mom. She is going to have 5 applications running at the same time and she won't do anything about it LOL

That's the thing, it does look easy to use too. Doesn't look any more difficult than stock android or other 3rd party skins like Sense.

It's a question of ease of use, not design.

That is so ugly. I felt like I was handing my mom one of those fake Chinese iPads when I turned that on.

Holy contradiction batman!

Jokes aside. Touchwiz was awful for ease of use. I doubt this has changed but more is not better with the general population. No one wants to turn on easy mode. They just want any easy to use phone

MercuryLS

Banned
I just tried the new TD banking app today. Wow, what a beautiful redesign. Android apps are getting better and better. The difference is massive, material design is the best thing to happen to the ecosystem. It's having such a great impact on developers.

this_guy

I don't understand all this talk about touchwiz being hard to use. Touchwiz has more options than stock Android but it doesn't make the phone harder to use. If anything it's more people having issues with stock Android sound profiles and asking questions about something that should be so basic. And double swiping notifications to turn toggles on or off in stock Android isn't as intuitive ad touchwiz toggles.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't understand all this talk about touchwiz being hard to use. Touchwiz has more options than stock Android but it doesn't make the phone harder to use. If anything it's more people having issues with stock Android sound profiles and asking questions about something that should be so basic. And double swiping notifications to turn toggles on or off in stock Android isn't as intuitive ad touchwiz toggles.

I hate the double swiping for notifications or the swipe on the right side on Jellybean. It's such a stupid design decision, you should get everything with one swipe every time.

Rumours say that OnePlus 2 will have a fingerprint scanner. Combine that with previous rumours of some metal on the build (doubt it's all metal) and all the top end specs, sounds like they're going for it.

It will most definitely be more expensive than before but if they still come in a lot below the competition it could be impressive. Hopefully the rumour about smaller screen is true.

when I was doing tech support I'd say the vast majority of my calls about android were samsung calls (expected, they sold the most) but the thing is, the vast majority of those calls the issues were always user error. Did something and can't get it back, no idea what's going on, can't find something, etc etc. Touchwiz is a bit much for most people. Never underestimate the non-tech savvyness of others. I always assumed there were people that didn't know this stuff but I was blown away the thousands of people I spoke to that were getting lost on this shit.

Avixph

Can anyone of you suggest any screen protector manufacturers (that will make screen protectors for the Galaxy S6) that sell really good and durable edge to edge tempered glass screen protectors? The only good screen protector manufacturers that I have found are: Armorz, Zagg, and Mime.

Avixph

For those of you that live in Australia and want to purchase either the Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 edge, the phones will be released on April 10, 2015 and will be priced as followed:
OOpVDUY.jpg

Source: Good Gear Guide

What's a good car mount for the Note Edge? My GPS was stolen so I need to use my phone for a while but I don't want to have to hold it in one hand while taking my eyes off the road given how unsafe that is.

Can anyone of you suggest any screen protector manufacturers (that will make screen protectors for the Galaxy S6) that sell really good and durable edge to edge tempered glass screen protectors? The only good screen protector manufacturers that I have found are: Armorz, Zagg, and Mime.
I have a PThink one for my Z3. If they make S6 ones I would highly recommend them. Nice edges and no imperfections. Plus it comes with proper cleaning wipes with anti static fluid to keep the dust away.

Top Bottom