• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

terrier

Sam seriously has so many bases covered it's ridiculous.

despite the hate, TW ain't that horrible. Sure it is heavy and quite bad on low end phones but is as good/bad as other oem's skin. And sure it has a few options that should be a given on stock android.

I don't understand all this talk about touchwiz being hard to use. Touchwiz has more options than stock Android but it doesn't make the phone harder to use. If anything it's more people having issues with stock Android sound profiles and asking questions about something that should be so basic. And double swiping notifications to turn toggles on or off in stock Android isn't as intuitive ad touchwiz toggles.

if you have trouble understanding google's stupid approach to silent mode or location settings you need your brain changed. If you have trouble understanding TW , it is TW being shitty. This is how internet forums work

Did we watch the same video? The phone became unusable after the water test. The screen wouldn't turn on at first and then when it did the phone was spazzing out like crazy.

Mascot

Did we watch the same video? The phone became unusable after the water test. The screen wouldn't turn on at first and then when it did the phone was spazzing out like crazy.

Ah, I skipped through it with no sound. The impression I got was that it was working ok.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Looks like the weighting shifts the phone to land more often than not on the sides, and that plus the lip on the metal will keep the phone's glass from taking too much damage most of the time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Lol the Edge front glass shattered on literally the first front impact.

....Just like most(every) other phones? It disproved your theory that the edges make the phone more fragile.

You trying to find faults with the Edge is getting a bit tiring.

Wreav

Banned
....Just like most(every) other phones? It disproved your theory that the edges make the phone more fragile.

You trying to find faults with the Edge is getting a bit tiring.

Nah, actually proved my point to a T. It landed ON THE EDGE, and the entire right half of the front glass spiderwebed.

On the normie S6, it would have struck metal instead, sooooooo

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nah, actually proved my point to a T. It landed ON THE EDGE, and the entire right half of the front glass spiderwebed.

On the normie S6, it would have struck metal instead, sooooooo

Hmmmm just a couple days ago you stated this:

The point is any case for the Edge won't protect from side impacts, so again, it's gonna be shattered glass city. I can't wait.

As that video showed us, side impacts were fine. So yeah, point disproved.

It literally took a straight drop on the face of the phone, something that rarely happens, for the glass to finally crack. You should just give up.

Lucius86

Banned
Xperia Z3 line finally getting lollipop this week from a world wide rollout.

Not as of yet.

z3list.png

Some regions have got it, but most of the bigger nations haven't. Getting really annoyed by the slow rollout combined with lack of information, feels like I'm on Windows Phone again.

Wreav

Banned
Really curious about the new Exynos chipset, and whether or not it will support simultaneous voice and data on the S6 out of the box before 5.1/advanced calling hits. Samsung always led the way on Verizon with support for simultaneous voice/data, but I can just seem them dropping the ball here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
808 especially in terms of GPU is a huge step down from the 810. That being said the 808 is clear step up from the 800/801. I wonder how much faster it is than the 805 though.

That being said if the 810 overheats then the performance gap is all for naught. Which means slow and steady wins the race with the 808.

The problem is Samsung isn't even in the race as they have their own shit that supposedly doesn't over heat, and is comparable to the 810 performance wise.

LG seems to have made the best move they could compared to HTC and Sony. Samsung just having their own chips is a trump card over everyone else in Android land.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
depends whether it is the CPU or GPU responsible for the overheating - most likely the CPU. In that case, you could probably throttle it down to get the heat under control, still have comparable or better overall CPU performance and a better GPU.

Lucius86

Banned
Not as of yet.

Some regions have got it, but most of the bigger nations haven't. Getting really annoyed by the slow rollout combined with lack of information, feels like I'm on Windows Phone again.

Okay, looks like France are now getting it amongst others, so I take back my initial comment. Still nothing for the UK currently.

reKon

Banned
Not as of yet.

If I'm in the US, but bought the phone from the UK, I wonder when I get the update...

And Z4 specs!

Sony-Xperia-Z4-specs-hardware-benchmark-inner.PNG.jpg

Man, what could've been with a SoC that isn't the 810. As long as the battery life remains great and the performance doesn't suffer, I probably won't care. But the thought that it could've been better at that price point still bugs me. 5.1" and a FHD screen is great news, though. Include wireless charging (Qi or both standards, like Samsung), sell it for $499 and you might have an interesting phone on your hands, Sony.

But I guess it would be like buying a Palm Pre 2, in terms of OS support.

longdi

Banned
Talk about a whimper...Sony even downgraded the screen from 5.2 to 5.1 inches. It would be passable if they use capacitive buttons but nope you get those ugly google soft buttons talking up precious screen space.

Though im confident Sony will do something good with Z4 battery life and maintain the 2 days usage target. Probably packing a 3400mah battery.

Qualcomm bloodied most android makers for 1H15, they should sell the 810 at much lower prices.

Wreav

Banned
A Note 4 with an S6 camera and fingerprint sensor would be godlike. Hope they don't mix up the body style too much this year.

MercuryLS

Banned
A Note 4 with an S6 camera and fingerprint sensor would be godlike. Hope they don't mix up the body style too much this year.

I think the big deal is the improved software on the S6 finding its way to the Note 5. I really don't like how TouchWiz looks on prior Galaxy devices, with the S6 it looks a lot better. It's too bad that they're not back porting it to the S5/Note 4.

I wonder what kind of blowback there would be if the Note 5 looks exactly like a blown up S6 with an S pen.

Furyous

who wants hot n fresh G4 (supposedly, probably not though) specs?

Screen-Shot-03-30-15-at-05.09-PM.PNG.jpg

*Scust at this spec list*

From the looks of things, the S808 is the 810 with 2 A57 cores instead of four and a 33% slower GPU. LG good luck selling me on this device because right now the shit's meh at best. I need all four A57 cores on the S810 anyway because reasons and value proposition. Why is LG selling me on less than stellar spec?

And Z4 specs!

Sony-Xperia-Z4-specs-hardware-benchmark-inner.PNG.jpg

This phone better have an average of seven hours screen on time. Any chance they announced this at I/O? That's a stealth stock android reference in case you missed it.

Talk about a whimper...Sony even downgraded the screen from 5.2 to 5.1 inches. It would be passable if they use capacitive buttons but nope you get those ugly google soft buttons talking up precious screen space.

Though im confident Sony will do something good with Z4 battery life and maintain the 2 days usage target. Probably packing a 3400mah battery.

Qualcomm bloodied most android makers for 1H15, they should sell the 810 at much lower prices.

From what I have heard Sony have waited for a better binned version of the S810. It runs slightly cooler and draws slightly less power and Qualcomm have worked on software optimisation in the meantime. It won't be great, but it won't get hot and it will benchmark well. Sony delayed shipments by 2 months from April to June.

Still it is a skip IMO. The Z3 is great, and the 2016 flag will ship with S820 and their new phase detecting CMOS sensor.

Top Bottom